main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Padawan No More (An Obaona plot idea story) Updated 3/29!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by masterobiwankenobi, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterobiwankenobi

masterobiwankenobi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    Disclaimer: The Star Wars characters and the Star Wars universe that I borrow from, belong to George Lucas. You can use my story on your site if you want, just let me know first.

Author: Peggy Schultz
    Email: masterobiwankenobi@msn.com
    Title: A Padawan No More
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Tahl, Nield, Roenni, Mace, Yoda, and more.
    Timeline: Obi-Wan is 13. AU that takes place from JA #1- JA#8.
    Rating: PG-13
    Summary: AU. Qui-Gon changes his mind and takes Obi-Wan as a Padawan before he goes to Bandomeer. Months later, many problems, including an AU Melida/Dann, interfere with the apprenticeship. This is an Obaona plot idea story.

Author?s Notes: This story is a combination of a plot bunny from Obaona, and an idea that I had for an AU of JA #6. After starting to write it, this story took on a whole plot of its own, and barely resembles the plot bunny anymore. Obaona?s plot idea was: What if Qui-Gon gave into Yoda and took Obi-Wan as his apprentice immediately? What if, then, Qui-Gon resented Obi-Wan and treated him coldly, even cruelly? And what if Obi-Wan was taken away because Qui-Gon was essentially emotionally abusing him?

Copyright © 2005 PS Schultz

A Padawan No More

Prologue
    The Will of the Force

Master Qui-Gon Jinn stood patiently in the lift tube on his way to the Temple?s cafeteria. His stomach growled in anticipation of a good hot meal. He had plans to meet his good friend Tahl in the cafeteria, eat second meal together and catch up on the news since he was last home. Nearly six months had passed since he was last at the Temple, and that was only for a couple of days. Qui-Gon regretted his long absences from the Temple, and often missed his friends while taking on mission after mission. Some times he felt lonely.

His thoughts were interrupted as the lift slowed to a stop before his destination to pick up another occupant. The doors slid open and Master Yoda hobbled into the lift, relying heavily on his gimmer stick for support. Master Yoda?s continued attempts to convince him to take another Padawan were one of the main reasons that he avoided the Temple. The smaller Master had tried to convince him to take an initiate named Obi-Wan Kenobi as an apprentice. Qui-Gon had finally agreed to watch the boy duel and then let Yoda know that he was not interested, despite the boy?s skills. When he did not choose the boy, he thought the meddlesome Master would finally leave him alone. Apparently, he was wrong.

?Master Jinn,? Yoda nodded in greeting.

Qui-Gon nodded in return. When the Councilmember did not immediately say anything further, Qui-Gon spoke. ?Master, are you here to try and convince me to take the Kenobi boy as my Apprentice again??

?No,? Yoda said looking up to him. ?Returning from saying goodbye to Initiate Kenobi I am. Going to the Cafeteria now I am.?

?Goodbye?? Qui-Gon questioned. He wondered if another Master had chosen the lad, and he was leaving on his first mission already. He hoped it were so.

?Yes. To Agri-Corps young Kenobi must go. On his way to board the transport to Bandomeer he is.?

Yoda?s words surprised Qui-Gon. ?I thought he had four weeks or so until his thirteenth birthday?? He had not expected they would send the boy away so soon.

?Before his birthday, come no other Knights will to look for a Padawan Learner,? was Yoda's simple reply. ?Better to send him away sooner rather than later it is.?

Qui-Gon thought, ?How could it be better to send a boy to Agri-Corps before his 13th birthday?? He had sensed great potential in the boy, but he just didn?t feel he could give the youngster the training he deserved. He did not want to see him sent away though. ?Do you know for certain that no one will come to the Temple in time to choose him??

?Matters not it does,? Yoda said as the lift stopped on the cafeteria level. ?The Master he was meant to have refused him. Ignored the bond beginning to form between them he did. Take him now no other Knight will.? Yoda then

2. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh dear. :( Poor Obi, it sounds like all of his fears are going to be realized.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Good start! And now I'm intrigued and want to know more! ;)

4. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    :_|

Must remember to buy more tissues, I have a feeling I'm going to need them.

5. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Quite an interesting start! I like how Qui was just standing in the lift, thinking everything through. :)

6. JediVeloJinn

JediVeloJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2003
    masterobiwankenobi,

I like just about all of your fics (even if I haven't said so yet. :( sorry.), so I'm going to read this even though I don't generally like bad-Qui fics.

The beginning has me interested. Besides wanting to know more about how Qui-Gon treats Obi-Wan, I wonder who Knight Kadi is.

~Velo

7. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    maychorian yeah, poor obi will have some trouble in upcoming chapters, but it wouldn't be a very interesting story otherwise. :eek:

VaderLVR64 thanks, i have five chapters written so far i just have to edit them and then send them to my beta reader. :)

Aya-Na_Bashu yeah, you tissues might be a good idea. :eek: :_|

Jedi_Tigris glad you liked it so far there is much more angst to come. ;)

JediVeloJinn i'm glad that you like my fics, i must admit i don't always reply to the fics that i read either. :oops: sometimes i can't help but wonder how some of the great writers here have time to reply to lots of fics and write so many stories at the same time.

anyway, you don't need to worry about the bad qui too much in this story. i just couldn't make him too bad. :_| basically it will have more to do with obi's misinterpretation of how qui feels for him, and qui's lack of telling obi how he feels.

thanks for reading,

Peggy 8-}

8. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    How come I didn't realize this is gonna be a good story? :oops: I'm such an IDIOT!!! Anyways :rolleyes: , will there be more? [face_batting]

9. obi-isa

obi-isa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    wow Thant was goood! Keep it up. more soon? Please! =D=

10. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    LilQui-Gonglad you like the story so far, yes there will definately be more. i already have five chapters finished, and a basic summary of what i'd like to happen in the future beyond that. i'm editing chapter one right now and hopefully will have it online soon. :D

obi-isa thanks, i'll try to get the next part up asap. ;)

Peggy 8-}

11. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Ooooh excellent beginning! Hmmm..everything looks alright so far, not sensing any resentment/coldness from Qui-Gon..
    Liked Yoda's talk with Qui-Gon,...but I think Qui-Gon was a bit hasty in taking Obi as his padawan. Like he hasnt sorted out his Xan issues yet. Wonder what will happen....

please update soon! :D

p.s. could you PM me when you update? I would be very grateful. :)

12. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Oooh great start

But I dont like it when Qui-Gon rushes in, he may regret it tomorrow, and then poor Obi-wan's fears will be founded.

[face_dancing] :D

13. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Ohhhhh, looks like a good beginning! I look forward to more. Let me just get comfortable in the thread. [face_eating_popcorn]

14. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Chapter One:
    Grateful to Be a Padawan

Beads of sweat slid down the sides of his face as he and his Master dueled. He sensed the arrival of his friends a few minutes ago, but he did not allow himself a spare moment to acknowledge their presence. He had not seen them for what seemed like years, although he knew it had only been months, three months to be exact. Obi-Wan Kenobi blocked a slash aimed at his waist and spun around to try to hit his Master from behind. As always, it seemed as if Qui-Gon Jinn knew what his Padawan had planned to do before he knew it himself. The Master easily blocked the blue lightsaber blade and attacked his Padawan with a low sweep of his own weapon. The Padawan leapt over the blade, narrowly avoiding a hit on his foot.

Qui-Gon was impressed with the boy?s progress. Obi-Wan had learned a lot in the short time they were together. As he blocked the teenager?s swings, he quickly glanced at their new audience. Three Initiates had entered the training room wearing their workout tunics. They sat down on the bleachers to watch him and his Apprentice duel. They were all Obi-Wan?s friends, but the boy had not allowed their presence to distract him, something they had been working on over the past few months.

Another thrust aimed at his mid section assaulted the Master, but he had anticipated it. Instead of blocking it as he normally would, he called on the Force to leap high above Obi-Wan. He landed behind the youngster and won the match before the boy could whirl around. ?Your concentration is improving, Obi-Wan.?

?Thank you Master,? Obi-Wan wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand.

?I think we?ve both earned a rest. I believe your friends are waiting for you,? Qui-Gon nodded toward the three initiates as Master Mace Windu?s voice called his name over the comlink.

?Thanks,? Obi-Wan grinned, turned, and walked quickly toward his friends while Qui-Gon spoke to the Council member.

?That was great Obi-Wan,? Bant Eerin said as he approached them. ?You didn?t fight with that much skill the last time we practiced together.?

?Yeah, I don?t think I?d stand a chance against you now,? Garen Muln commented.

?You didn?t stand a chance against him before he became Master Qui-Gon?s Padawan,? Reeft teased Garen.

Garen chose to ignore his friend?s joke and turned to Obi-Wan. ?So how are you? When did you get back? I thought you were going on another mission.?

?We returned about two hours ago. We both had some excess energy from the long transport here, so we decided to spar. I?m fine, and no, we don?t have a mission right now. Master wanted to stay at the Temple for a little while so that we can work on katas and saber techniques. I haven?t had a lot of time in between missions to practice.?

?I was beginning to think that you would never come back,? Bant smiled.

?Bant, if I did that how could I beat Garen with the lightsaber?? he teased.

?You?re hilarious Kenobi,? Garen grinned. ?Seriously though, you and Master Jinn are great together. You were so well in sync with each other that you seemed to almost know what the other was thinking.?

?You must have a strong bond to spar so well together,? Reeft observed.

?You don?t have to have a strong bond to fight well together,? Obi-Wan disagreed.

?No, but Masters and Padawans with strong bonds make the best teams. They are able to work together better, and keep nothing from each other,? Garen told him.

Obi-Wan shrugged his shoulders. His friend had unknowingly brought up a subject that had been bothering the Padawan since Qui-Gon had asked him to be his apprentice. Their bond was not very strong, and they did not speak unless it was about training matters or missions. His Master often shielded from Obi-Wan, leaving the boy inaccessible to what little of a bond they did share.

?So what is it like to have a Master,? Bant inquired as Obi-Wan finally sat down on the bleachers beside them. He could see his Master shut off the comlink and replace it on his utility

15. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    oops i forgot to reply to the reviews before posting the next chapter. :oops: it's been a very crazy day today. [face_shhh]

JOINME:
    Nope Qui deffinately hasn't sorted out the whole Xan issue yet. Glad that you liked the beginning.

Gkilkenny:
    glad you're enjoying it so far.
    i'm not telling. [face_shhh]

kateydidnt:
    thanks, i'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

Thanks for all the reviews.

16. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    Sooooo glad you posted! [face_dancing] Qui-Gon normally tried to avoid visiting Mace?s home because he was afraid that if he put anything in the wrong place, his friend would turn to the dark side and strike him down without hesitation.

I could almost see it! Mace a neat-freak. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

17. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Wonderful update!

Haha I loved the descriptions of Mace's apartment... :D and Trion.... that is so typical Mace, to have a big bad animal! lol.

Poor Obi-Wan. It's quite obvious he feels neglected. And now that Tahl is in trouble and they have to go and rescue her, without any strong bond or Qui accepting the past, I feel like bad things are going to happen...

:(

But I can't wait for more! Please post again soon :D

18. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

OH NO! there going to Melida/Dann this is awful
    Please dont stray Obi, dont leave Qui-Gon

I cannot look but maybe a peek out of the corner of my eye
    Qui-Gon open up to Obi before he stays on melida Dann
    [face_worried] [face_praying]

Hurry next post veer of course dont go to Melida Dann.

Boy I'm getting a bit silly8-}

19. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    I hope that Qui-Gon will change and begin to open up more, but somehow I don't think that is coming.

I sense trouble for Obi-Wan. [face_worried]

More, please! [face_batting]

20. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    LilQui-Gon yeah mace does seem like the neat freak type doesn't he. :eek:

JOINME glad you liked my descriptions, mace's pet will play a bigger role much later in the story. :)

Gkilkenny lol. i'll tell obi not to leave qui, but sometimes they just tend to take on a mind of their own. lol. :eek:

Star_Drifter obi-wan in trouble? :eek: [face_whistling] maybe just a little bit. [face_worried]

thanks for all the reviews. i already have the next chapter written, actually i have five and a half chapters written so far i just have to get on the ball and start editing them and then send them to my beta reader, so you guys can understand them. ;) i will edit the next chapter today so hopefully i can post it soon. [face_praying]

Peggy 8-}

21. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Great post! I can definitely see some plot-threads coming together, here. I hope Melida/Daan goes differently than it did in the books, though. :(

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This should prove to be a very interesting story! Great job! =D= =D=

23. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hurray for Oba's little bunnies :)

24. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Ooh, poor Obi is getting neglected by Qui, who doesn't realize it. :( I hope they can talk before Melida/Daan, and that Obi won't leave Qui.

[face_laugh] I liked the description of Mace's quarters, and him having that animal.

Nice job! If you have a pm list, can you add me to it?

25. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    maychorian Glad you liked the post. I can tell you that Melida/Dann will be very different than in the books, although you may not like the difference. :eek: :oops:

VaderLVR64 Thank you, glad you liked it. :D

PadawanKitara :D yes, obaona has some great stories and ideas.

Jedi_Tigris Glad you liked the descriptions (i always think that i'm not good at descriptions) I have plans for Mace's pet much later in the story. ;) i'll definately add you to my pm list, thanks for asking. :D

Thanks for reading everyone, I thought i'd let you know that Chapter 2 has already been sent to the beta reader. When she's done i will post it here.

Peggy 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.