main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends For the Life of a Frying Pan (a short Qui-Gon vignette, humor)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for clicking. :p

Title: For the Life of a Frying Pan
    Summary: Qui-Gon saves a frying pan. :p
    A/N: This is all Pallas-Athena's fault. I did a fic meme, and again, she sought to stump me, giving me 'Qui-Gon, frying pan.' Cruel woman, no? :p

This is short, but I hope you enjoy. :p It's really just a silly piece, nothing deep here. ;)

Qui-Gon ran out of the house, clutching the frying pan frantically, cursing the Force in his head, because he didn?t quite have the breath. Steal one frying pan and get hit by another, that was a certain synchronicity in that. His lightsaber, maybe that would scare her off ? where was his lightsaber?

He had [i]lost[/i] his lightsaber?

A wild-haired old woman, white hair blowing in the wind, blue eyes cold and hard, came out with a rather large stun rifle.

Qui-Gon ducked behind a tree, and called out uselessly, ?Ma?am, I really must insist ??

?It?s my frying pan!? she yelled.

?The Force ??

?You?re hocus pocus isn?t welcome here,? the old woman hissed, and Qui-Gon ran for the beat-down fence several meters away, easily leaping over, and narrowly avoiding the shot ? thu-unk, and then the sound faded as it dissipated in the air.

My allegiance is to the Force. I listen to the Force, Qui-Gon cautioned himself, and loosened his death-grip on the frying pan a bit. He was calm. He was calm. He ran for about a kilometer before stopping, not breathing hard, but rather exasperated with himself and life in general. He looked up and around, seeing nothing but trees and fields. This was supposed to be a simple mission for a new Knight, and it was ? why did the Force have to complicate things?

Qui-Gon squinted at the frying pan, vainly hoping for some clue as to why the Force felt it so important.

Nothing. And nothing visibly unusual about it either. There were signs of many scrapings, burns, and dents.

?Well, what now?? he muttered, and stared up at the sky, hoping for a sign ?

He eventually sold it at an outdoors market on another world. After he sneaked inside the old woman?s house and got his lightsaber back, of course.

[hr]
    Xanatos switched the holonews on absentmindedly, still working on his Languages Derived from Old Republic Times homework. He slouched further into the grungy, old couch, and there was a certain amount of contentment in the act.

?Done with your homework?? Qui-Gon called from his place at the kitchen table of their apartment, looking up from a report on their last mission.

?It helps me concentrate,? Xanatos said shortly, still focusing, keeping half his attention on his homework and the other half on the miscellaneous news stories.

[i]- other news, the life of the King of Anke was saved by a cook wielding an old frying pan ? [/i]

?Wait, turn that up,? Qui-Gon suddenly commanded. ?Turn it up!? he said more loudly, when Xanatos just blinked and looked up.

Xanatos turned the sound up, and gazed at the holonews curiously, wondering what had gotten his Master so excited. He had gotten up from his seat and stood behind the couch, leaning his weight on the back of it, arms folded. Xanatos could see him staring intently at the holo when he looked up.

[i]- quite the lucky coincidence that the frying pan the cook used to defend the King was, in fact, made of a rare type of durloe metal, which in very unusual cases can deflect a Derkon blaster-rifle ? [/i]

Qui-Gon laughed. He staggered back and laughed, a huge smile on his face, his eyes brimming with tears of hilarity.

?Master?? Xanatos asked, turning around on the couch and looking at his Master more closely, alarmed. It was a weird story, but not exactly cause for this kind of reaction.

Qui-Gon clapped his shoulder, still grinning widely. ?Trust the Force, young Padawan.?

?Uh, I do, Master.?

?Even when it seems insane.?

?Yes, Master.?

Qui-Gon went back to his report, shaking his head in amusement. The news bulletin had changed to something else. Still a little surprised ? and confused ? Xanatos t

2. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    *will love it until the day she dies*

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, that's so Qui-Gonish!

4. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Oh, very cute obaona.

But how could one not click with a title like that? Idle curiousity had me reading almost instantly. :p

?It?s my frying pan!? she yelled. [face_laugh]

Wonderful job!

5. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Only you, my dear, could throw Qui-Gon, frying-pans, and make it into a great story that's hilarious, sensible, and so very Qui-Gon - all rolled into one.

Loved it! [face_love] <shakes Pallas_Athena's hand vigorously>

6. JediVeloJinn

JediVeloJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2003
    Obaona, you're so talented!!

That was a wonderful fic. I loved it. Do you have any more? I like Qui-Gon's cryptic remarks to Xanatos, and Xanatos' reaction to them. I can just imagine them both. :D I actually think that it's pretty amazing how you managed to make a great read in so few words.

~Velo

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Very funny. In everything Qui-Gon follows the Force even if it doesn't make sense at the time. Loved that the woman was shooting at him and he had lost his lightsaber as well. Seems like that it is a tradition after all. Good job.

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful! Yes, he was very much in character! And I loved the title. Bravo! =D=

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    obaona, that was delightful. I was wondering if it would make any sense to me as well as Qui-Gon, but you found the perfect solution. Bravo!! [:D]

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was great! [face_laugh] Poor Qui... the things he does for the Force... [face_laugh]

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh Obaona! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I really needed that! That was truly wonderful! Very Qui-Gonish thing to do :D Excellent! You really must play in here more often!

12. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    [face_laugh] Loved it when Qui's first mission came back to him via holonet and Xanatos' confusion concerning the whole situation. Xan probably thinks that his master has lost his mind. :D

13. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I absolutley love it. :D

14. Black_Scout

Black_Scout Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    That was a cool little viggy. Now I know that my frying pan could be destined for greater things, than just cooking my bacon and mushrooms.

15. masterobiwankenobi

masterobiwankenobi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    [face_laugh] that was great. i can picture qui running around with a frying pan in his hand. lol.

Peggy 8-}

16. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Loved it. Qui was great and I love the title. Excellent!

17. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    You know how rarely I venture into Before, dear, but this fic drew me in even with my lack of familiarity with the era. I'm in awe of how well you handled Atty's challenge. :eek: I can totally see Qui-Gon living out this story. :D Great job! :D [:D]

18. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

oba dearest, you're really a genius! [:D]

Great job! =D=

19. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    That was so beautiful.

::sniff::

::wipes tear::

20. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] Oh, the things Qui goes through for the Force. Great job showing Qui's thoughts and such. :D And Xanatos must be thinking Qui is crazy. Great job!

21. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    That totally just made my day. Absolutely brilliant use of a frying pan. Hats off to you for being able to funnel the sheer amount of ridiculousness involved into a hilarious, yet believable story. :D

22. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    You did very well with the crazy prompt.:D

23. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was a brilliant way to handle a tricky challenge

24. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
  25. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Pallas-Athena: You better! :p [:D]

DarthIshtar: Thank you. :D Qui-Gon isn't a character I write often. :p

sheleigh: Well, I must admit, I sort of thought it would. [face_mischief] Thank you. :D

Princess_Arulmozhi: LOL. Well, when I got the initial challenge, this seemed like the immediate and logical way to write it. :p Thank you. :D

JediVeloJinn: Hehehe, thank you. :p And more of this? Nope, this is it. :p I'm glad you liked it even with it's shortness. @};-

dianethx: Yeah, I couldn't help myself with the bit about the lightsaber. [face_blush] And I think Qui-Gon would do what the Force told him, even if he didn't understand it at the time. But yeah, this rather pushed him in that respect. [face_mischief]

VaderLVR64: Thank you. :D One of the few titles that came easily. :p

Healer_Leona: I couldn't imagine writing the challenge any other way, really. :p Thank you. :D

Kynstar: It doesn't appreciate him enough. [face_mischief] Thank you. :D

Layren: Maybe I will. ;) Thank you. :D

Bekah_K: Yep. :D I had it happen during Xanatos' training instead of Obi-Wan's because I figured Xanatos would be more likely to shrug it off. :p Thank you. :p

LilQui-Gon: Good! :D Thank you. :p

Black_Scout: The little things can have big effects, and I really believe that's true in real life. :p

Alethia: Thank you. :D

Gabri_Jade: This was one of the few challenges were the idea came to me almost immediately. :p Thank you, dearest, I'm glad you like it. [:D]

LadyPadme: LOL. :p Thank you. :D

maychorian: Cute, real cute. :p

Jedi_Tigris: Thank you. :D It was fun to follow Qui-Gon's thinking. :p

Commander-DWH: Thank you. [:D] And it is rather ridiculous, isn't it? :p :p

StarFighter5: Thank you. ;) :D

FelsGoddess: I try. [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.