main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Life Beyond the Code (AU Post TPM: OWK/AS) Update 5/9/11 - Ch. 45

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Title: Life Beyond the Code

Author: bek (a.k.a. Bekah_K)

Genre: Alternate Universe (Drama, Angst, Action, Hurt/Comfort, Family)

Characters: Obi-Wan, Anakin

Summary: Obi-Wan faces life beyond the code.

Disclaimer: The characters (Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc?) belong to Lucas or Watson. I make no profit from this. It's just a hobby.

A/N: Please note that this story is a hybrid - majority AU with a little cannon mixed in. The SW timeline is not necessarily followed. That's the joy of writing fanfiction, we can adjust things as needed to fit the story we'd like to write. I hope you enjoy!

Prologue

He watches the orange and red hues slowly descend upon the horizon until the sun disappears over the edge of the landscape. The dimming blue fades to black, and white twinkling dots begin to scatter themselves across the heavens. Occasionally a few will pass by as if propelled by a rocket, streaking across the skyline in intricate patterns as the tails leave a faint stain of where they had once been.

He lowers his eyes from the spectacle above, his head soon following, his shoulders falling forward from the weight of the last few hours. The grief that pours through him is unbearable. The Jedi aren't allowed attachments; they aren't allowed to love as love leads to attachment. But somewhere along the way, he, they, had come to love one another as the only two parts of a small but happy family could.

His frame shudders slightly from the solitude he now feels. His mind empty of the constant but soothing and wanted presence he once felt and longs to feel again. He unconsciously searches for it but instead of the steadfast controlled signature he knows as well as his own, he feels a slight hesitancy from a chaotic emotion filled existence that isn't sure of its place. He watches with his minds eye as it steps to the edge of his conscious and peeks in as if trying to decide the safety of the move. A small smile finds its way to his lips and he laughs softly as he feels the presence jump back as he tentatively touches the young mind with his own conscience. A new joy begins to fill him as he and his conspirator begin to banter back and forth. The emptiness begins to subside as he once again finds something, someone, to care for.

TBC...

2. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Interesting. Alot of questions right now, but I think that's intentional. You do an excellent job of creating a mood. I'll be interested to see where you take this.

3. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    hmm.....more please?[face_praying]

4. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    [face_thinking] Hmmmmm.... very good. I agree with the others. more please!!!!![face_praying] Could you PM me when you update? Thanks!:D

Ani-maniac

5. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Darth_Scroobius: Interesting. Alot of questions right now, but I think that's intentional. Yes, it was. ;) I wanted to cast the line first to see how many would bite. :)

I'll be interested to see where you take this. I wrote this more for fun than anything else. Hope it keeps your interest. :)

Meredith_Kenobi: hmmm.....more please? Chapter one coming right up! :)

Ani-maniac: Hmmmmm....very good. I agree with the others. more please!!!!! Could you PM me when you update? Updated below! ;)

Thank you for the replies everyone! I appreciate very much the time you took to respond to this first post! :)

Chapter 1: Saying Goodbye

He watches as Yoda paces back and forth in front of him, silent one moment but forthcoming in the next. "Agree with this boy's training, I do not!"

He lifts his head in response, his chin jaunting out slightly in defiance. "I will train him without the permission of the Council if I must."
    The Jedi Master pauses in his steps and sighs, leaning heavily on his cane as if a great weight suddenly crashed down upon him. "Leave the Jedi, would you?"

Swallowing through a tight throat, he answers, "If I must."

"Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you, need that you do not! To lose you to the galaxy would be a great loss to the Jedi Order, and yet, allow the training of this child we cannot." He sadly shook his head and turned to look at the young padawan, now a Knight.

Obi-Wan refused to make eye contact. "This promise was the last request he made of me. I will train the boy."

"The boy is dangerous, said so you did."

"Yes, Master Yoda, I did; however, I promised Qui-Gon and I will not fail him in this as I did in his final moments."

"Fail him you did not. Struck down by the sith he was, not by any fallacy of yours. Fail you he did by requesting this promise from you. The Chosen One, the boy may be, but maybe not. Too much fear do I sense in him to allow his training."

"And that is exactly why he must be trained." Obi-Wan raised his eyes to meet his elder's. "I know what awaits someone with the potential he has if he were to be left to his own devices. I would not wish that on anyone."

"Come a long way you have since that time, young one. Fought hard to regain your training, you did. Proud of the Jedi you have become we all are."

Obi-Wan nodded but did not otherwise acknowledge the council member's words. "Master Yoda," the quietness of his voice softly echoes throughout the room. "I respectfully resign my place within the Jedi Order." Unclipping his lightsaber from his belt, he held it forth and offered it to the diminutive Master.

Yoda stared down at the humble offering. Using his hand, he gently pushed it back toward its owner. "Need this you will, young one. Accept your request I do not. If determined you are to follow this path then you must do so on your own; but know that I am here for anything you may need. A Jedi you are, a Jedi, you will remain." Yoda rested his hand upon the young man's head; his eyes affectionately tracing each curve of the beloved face. Sighing deeply, Yoda turned and left.

X

Obi-Wan attended the memorial service held for his slain master. Protocol was to have a pyre built upon which the remains would be cremated. This wasn't normal procedure however, as the Jedi's body was currently on a ship headed for Coruscant. Even in death, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn somehow managed to defy Jedi etiquette. Many friends and colleagues came to Naboo to pay their respects and reminisce of their encounters with the maverick master. Some Obi-Wan found himself enjoying, others he barely heard.

He could sense the weary emotions of the boy standing next to him. He kept his shields lowered around the fledgling bond so Anakin could seek comfort if need be as he had found the boy to do on numerous occasions throughout a single day. The child still wasn't sure about this new development, but found solace in the reassurance of the Knight's presence nearby. He uncon

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    And off they go on their own! [face_dancing] Love the interaction between these two!

He could sense the weary emotions of the boy standing next to him. He kept his shields lowered around the fledgling bond so Anakin could seek comfort if need be as he had found the boy to do on numerous occasions throughout a single day.

Awwwww.... [:D] [face_love]

7. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    This is really interesting. :)

8. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    VaderLVR64: And off they go on their own! Love the interaction between these two! Thanks! :) Yes, they are going be on their own for a while.

jacen: This is really interesting! Thanks for reading! :)

9. sethsky

sethsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2005
    Your fic has great potential, obi-wan could become more the fatherfigure for anakin instead of palpatine, i always felt that obiwan was holding back in to movie cus of the jedicode.

can't wait for more

ps: love the chance for anakin to explore the galaxy.

seeya

10. Darth_Scroobius

Jun 1, 2005
    After I read the prologue I wasn't even sure if the setting was after Qui-gon's death or Anakin's turn. I thought the former more likely, but wasn't sure. That was either before you put "Post-TPM" in the subject or I just missed it. Anyway, that question is definitely answered. I'm curious to see what unofficial Jedi training entails. That's a question I've definitely been thinking about lately; I can't wait to see your take on it.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was kind of creepy the way Obi-wan kept touching Anakin. I didn't think Jedi were so touchy-feely. On the other hand, after his loss Obi-wan may just be trying to keep himself grounded. Obi-wan's identity is definitely in a state of flux.

11. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    sethsky: Your fic has great potential, obi-wan could become more the fatherfigure for anakin instead of palpatine, i always felt that obiwan was holding back in to movie cus of the jedicode. I thought he was holding back to. :) My view was that Obi-Wan wanted so badly to do the promise he made justice and to also prove that Qui-Gon was right in his belief about Anakin?s training and in doing so, forgot that Anakin had been raised differently in the beginning. That he didn?t have the same teachings and experiences of the children who had lived in the Temple since infancy.

Darth_Scroobius: I'm curious to see what unofficial Jedi training entails. That's a question I've definitely been thinking about lately; I can't wait to see your take on it. So far it isn?t anything extraordinary. :) I?m still figuring this part out.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was kind of creepy the way Obi-wan kept touching Anakin. I didn't think Jedi were so touchy-feely. On the other hand, after his loss Obi-wan may just be trying to keep himself grounded. Obi-wan's identity is definitely in a state of flux.

Or maybe he was trying to calm a child?s fear; a child who had grown up until this point with the love of a mother, and the affection that only a parent can give. Perhaps Obi-Wan understood to a degree that what Anakin needed at that moment was touch in order to ground him in a new environment where he doesn?t know his place.

Obi-Wan mimicked his master?s action by placing his hands upon the boy?s shoulders (which Qui-Gon did in front of the Council in TPM and he also patted Anakin?s shoulder after having explained a bit about midichlorians on the landing platform). Obi-Wan then wiped away a tear, and held a small nervous hand that was seeking stability.

12. Darth_Scroobius

Jun 1, 2005
    Or maybe he was trying to calm a child?s fear; a child who had grown up until this point with the love of a mother, and the affection that only a parent can give. Perhaps Obi-Wan understood to a degree that what Anakin needed at that moment was touch in order to ground him in a new environment where he doesn?t know his place.

If that's the case then he's alot more perceptive than in the PT. Which is certainly possible; this is an AU;). I didn't mean my comment as a criticism, it was just something that popped in my head as I was reading.

13. Ani-maniac

Jul 5, 2005
    That is where you ended it? *sniff*[face_worried]

I know, I know... for anyone who has seen my thread, I know I should not complain about leaving off in bad spots.:D

I must say that was wonderful. I really enjoyed the interaction between Obi-Wan and Anakin. I think a large part of the problem with their relation ship was that Anakin always wondered if Obi-Wan really wanted to take him as a Padawan, knowing how he had reacted to him in the beginning. Calling someone a pathetic life-form is never a good first impression.;) But I love how in this story Anakin will see how much Obi-Wan is willing to give up for him.

Wonderful! Please post again soon![face_praying] And thank you for the PM.[:D]

Ani-maniac

14. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    And you leave it there! That's cruel! :eek:

I especially loved the fledging bond between Obi-Wan and Anakin [face_love] The thought that Obi-Wan would sever himself from the Jedi order because he cared for Anakin's well-being (and not just to fulfill his promise to Qui-Gon) is simply lovely. I gasped when Obi-Wan handed his light-sabre to Yoda, and was relieved when he wouldn't accept it.

I can't wait to see where you take us with this. More soon? [face_praying]

15. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :) Good thing you alerted me to the name change or I may have missed this gem. Wonderful beginning and I love the idea of Obi trianing Anakin away from the Jedi's restrictive atmosphere. So many possibilities.

16. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Darth_Scroobius: If that's the case then he's alot more perceptive than in the PT. Which is certainly possible; this is an AU. I tend to favor AU fics because the characters can behave a little out of sync with their cannon counterparts. ;)

Ani-maniac: Obi-Wan and Anakin have a lot to learn about one another. :)

River_Stone: I gasped when Obi-Wan handed his light-sabre to Yoda and was relieved when he wouldn't accept it. Yoda's in denial! :p

OE: Hi! :D And some first experiences for Obi-Wan concerning life away from the Temple's rules and regulations. :)

Chapter 2: New Beginnings

The sun was just peeking from beyond the scope when Master Yoda found whom he had been searching for. Obi-Wan sat meditating on the wide cement banister overlooking the surrounding city of the Naboo palace. The small Master lifted himself upon the barrier and waited for the young man to awaken.

The sun was high within the morning sky when Obi-Wan finally opened his eyes. He arranged his sitting position to one of more comfort. When situated, he met the Jedi's gaze.

"Certain are you that this path you are meant to take?" Yoda asked, his ears rising slowly waiting for a hopeful answer.

The silence stretched between them as Obi-Wan thought about his answer. "I'm not sure of a lot of things, Master. But I am sure that I must keep this promise."

As Yoda's ears flattened back onto his head and the little master's head bowed in thought, Obi-Wan continued, "But it's become more than just the pledge I made to Qui-Gon. I can't explain it exactly as the Force is being somewhat elusive, but Anakin needs to be trained, Master, and I need to be the one to see this through."

"Why?"

"The boy needs me in a similar way that I needed Qui-Gon not so long ago. I apologize if this disappoints you but this is the road I must travel." Obi-Wan eyed his elder as he waited for his response.

"Disappoint me you never have. Frustrate sometimes, annoyed most certainly but never disappoint." Yoda's eyes looked to the distance, his head nodding in tandem to what the Force was telling him. "Much you will learn on your journey, young one. A great Jedi you will still become."

"And Anakin?"

"Brighter but still clouded is the boy's future. Light now seeps through the darkness, yes, but the undercurrent is waiting to sweep away and swallow what radiance succeeds in building. Up to young Skywalker it will be in which will gain strength, which he will serve."

"He will choose the right path, master," the former Jedi stated with conviction.

"Hope you are right, I do."

Bending his legs so his knees were against his chest, Obi-Wan encircled them and looked off into the distance. The two sat in silence, both content to spend these precious last moments in one another's company before being split apart for many years to come.

X

The shuttle had left several hours previously but Obi-Wan had yet to leave the palace-docking bay, his eyes still locked onto the sky above. The pilots and mechanics milling around the area paid him no attention but instead went about their work. Quiet footsteps sounded from behind him and he smiled. Without turning, he asked, "What brings you here young one?"

The soft noise of shuffling feet met his ears as a shy voice began to speak, "Master sir, I was thinking on what you said yesterday that we could go anywhere we wanted to?." Anakin stopped and tried to think of how best to ask what he wanted to know.

Obi-Wan slowly turned and knelt in front of the boy. "Anakin?" The boy looked up. "First off, I'm not a Jedi Master. Second, you don't have to call me sir, it makes me feel older than I am, and third, you can call me Obi-Wan or Kenobi, whichever you prefer." Obi-Wan laughed softly when he noticed the look of surprise on the boy's face. "What is it?"

Anakin hurriedly looked away. "It's nothing, Mas?Obi-Wan. I just didn't know that I could call you by your name."

Instead of responding to the boy's state

17. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I just knew that Anakin would pick his home. :) Post more soon please.

18. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Tatooine hum? Very intrigued by what you have planned for this story. [face_mischief] Keep up the great work.

19. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    This will be interesting. Obi-Wan training Anakin on Tatooine outside the Jedi Order.

20. Daisideep

Daisideep Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    yeah I love this story, I just KNEW they were going to Tatooine! Can't wait to see how this all works out... :)

21. Darth_Scroobius

Jun 1, 2005
    Well, it seems that everyone figured out that Anakin would want to go back to Tatooine except for me. I thought he'd choose Naboo.

I'm starting to like the new and improved, sensitive Obi-Wan. I hope he doesn't lose his dry sense-of-humor.

Frustrate sometimes, annoyed most certainly but never disappoint.

I like this line, especially the annoyed part.

I tend to favor AU fics because the characters can behave a little out of sync with their cannon counterparts.

I agree whole-heartedly; alot more freedom and room for surprises down this path. I eagerly await more.

22. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Tatooine hmmm....are they going to free the slaves? I hope so because I always wanted to see Anakin free the slaves.

23. Ani-maniac

Jul 5, 2005
    Wonderful! Perhaps now Anakin will get to see his mom, and she won't be taken by the Tuskens.:D I can't wait to find out what happens!:D

Please post soon![face_praying]

Ani-maniac

24. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    (River_Stone joins in chorus of "Tatooine?")

I really am fascinated by where you will be going with this. And I'm glad Yoda will be there if they need him, denial or not! :p

Great work!

25. Erin_21

Erin_21 Jedi Master star 2

May 27, 2005
    Well, I like this!! not only I love the idea of Obi-wan really chosing Anakin over the Jedi order but the fact that Yoda supports him in a way and that Anakin had a choice!! this story is somehting I'm happy I found, and that I can wait to see more of :). I truly like your story, be well and take care