main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Good Enough - A Qui-Gon and Shmi Skywalker vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Good Enough
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Shmi
    Timeframe: TPM
    Summary: A conversation between Mother and Master
    Notes: One idea in here was taken from the movie ?Million Dollar Baby?. If you?ve seen the movie, you?ll recognize it when you see it.

Good Enough

Qui-Gon Jinn sat outside the small slave hovel, looking up at the stars with the fresh eyes of a child. The young boy?s enthusiasm for what waited among those bright points of light had reawakened in the Jedi Master the wonder he had felt as a child, looking up at those stars.

The boy was special, of that there was no doubt.

A small sound drew his attention and he turned to see Shmi Skywalker standing in the doorway, the light from her humble home creating a soft nimbus around her slight frame.

?I didn?t mean to disturb you,? she said quietly.

Qui-Gon smiled and shook his head. ?You are not disturbing me,? he murmured. ?I was just trying to look at the stars the way your son does, remember how it felt to be a child and look up into the sky.?

Shmi chuckled and approached him. ?Anakin has always longed to travel among the stars,? she said, looking up into the sky her son loved so much. ?When he was a baby, he slept best if I positioned him so that he could see out the window, up into the sky.?

Her eyes moved toward him and she shrugged. ?You must think that?s silly,? Shmi mused.

Qui-Gon?s face was solemn has he answered her. ?Not at all, perhaps he realized even then that his destiny would take him there.?

Shmi sat down beside Qui-Gon, her fingers busily straightening her rough skirt. ?Is his destiny going to take him up there?? She would not meet his eyes, but kept her gaze focused on her own hands.

?Perhaps,? he answered noncommittally. He still had much to work out in his mind about the boy. ?If the Force wills it to be so.?

He felt her confusion radiating out of her through the Force. She was both relieved and disappointed at the thought of her son leaving Tatooine and slavery behind.

?What do you want for your son?? Qui-Gon asked.

Shmi smiled sadly. ?I want my son to grow up free,? she replied.

The Jedi Master nodded his head. ?A good dream for any child.?

Her eyes drifted back toward the home she shared with her son. ?Anakin is special, you know.?

?Yes, I know,? Qui-Gon answered, his gaze following the direction of hers.

?Do you really think he could be a Jedi?? she asked, the words coming out in a rush as if she had had to gather her courage to speak them.

He glanced at her, his face expressionless, unsure of what to say. ?He has great potential,? he finally admitted. ?But he is too old to begin the training a Jedi is expected to complete. It will not be easy to convince the Council that he should be trained.?

?But if he could be a Jedi, would it not be a waste to condemn him to a life of slavery?? Shmi asked, her voice taking on a note of determination. ?Would that not be wrong??

?I cannot answer that,? Qui-Gon prevaricated.

She laughed at him then, the tension between them breaking. ?You mean you won?t answer that.?

He nodded and gave her a chagrined smile. ?Yes, I suppose you are right.?

Qui-Gon was surprised when she reached out and took his hand. She examined the broad palm carefully, her fingers ghosting over the calluses that a lifetime of service had given him. ?You have had a hard life,? she said as she studied his hand. Her eyes met his and infinite compassion shone in their brown depths.

?The life of a Jedi is not an easy one,? he admitted. ?But I can imagine being nothing else.?

She smiled gently, still holding his hand. ?Yes, I can see that is true.? Shmi?s head tilted and she considered him. ?But once? Did you considered another path??

Qui-Gon smiled sadly and nodded. ?A long time ago, I thought perhaps?? Then he shook his head. ?But my life was destined to be one of service to the Order.? He looked at her intently. ?And would you want such a life for your son??

Briefly, her hand gripped his tig

2. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005

So fitting for his personality!
    I really enjoyed this, especially the part where Shmi knows that the Jedi cannot fundamentally alter Anakin's personality.

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Awww that was lovely! :_| And sad at the same time cuz of what happens not too long from then. :( Loved how you portrayed Shmi! [face_love] Loved it! Well done!

Loved that bit! How true is that? :D

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow! A very beautiful vignette, VL! :)

5. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Lovely missing moment. :)

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Would it surpise you I growled at the title.... and gave an evil eye when she took his hand. Still, how can I deny the beauty of the viggie or the tragic sadness that those last words of both of them were never to be.

7. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Aw. :( So sad, knowing what happens to them both. Great job once more, VL. =D=

8. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    She stood up and touched his face briefly with her warm hand. ?You are a good man, Qui-Gon Jinn.? Shmi leaned over and kissed Qui-Gon softly on his forehead as if he was a child. ?I know you?ll watch over my son for me.?

?I will do my best,? he said, his voice raspy at the trust she was placing in him.

Oh, it's not fair, that's just too depressing! This was great, I loved how you expressed botho f their reluctance to decide Ani's fate for him. If only all of it could have worked out that way...

9. Koori

Koori Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Wow, that was lovely VL. Though I'm alittle annoyed about the plot bunny it gave me. You want to take this ankle biter off my hands, or can I write it myself?

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

That was such a sweet vignette Kimberley! =D= You always do such marvelous work :)

11. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Beautiful, simply beautiful...

I always liked the interactions between Qui and Shmi, they have such wonderful chemistry. ;)

snd I guess Shmi's words are kind of foreboding...

I really enjoyed reading this. :)

12. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Very elegently written. So simple and poetic, very much like the both of them. I had always dismissed Shmi, but she's been growing on me a lot, the more I see Leia in her.

I liked the relationship you showed between Qui-Gon and Shmi, it is very easy to see that they bond over their feelings for Anakin.

~Obischick~[face_peace]

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Anakins_Force Thank you! I've always thought that Shmi and Qui-Gon would have understood each other very well.

Kynstar Qui-Gon is a rebel, though he doesn't care to admit it! :p

Idrelle_Miocovani Thank you! :D

obi_ew I'm flattered you liked it. :)

Healer_Leona Now you know your Jedi wouldn't cheat on you! [face_laugh]

LuvEwan Thank you! [face_blush]

Kylie_Jinn Thank you so much for reading! :D

Koori So where's this plot bunny? ;)

Layren
    Thank you for reading! [:D]

JOINME Yes, I think they did have a connection, not necessarily romantic, but something... [face_thinking]

Obischick Shmi's always been one of my favorites, I admit. [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.