main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends To Save A Life (JA Qui/Obi) Drama/Mush from a Healer's POV -- Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Title: To Save A Life
    Author: Layren
    Characters: Qui/Obi OC's
    Summary: A Healer's work is never done.
    Author's Note: I wanted to try something a little different. I hope you all enjoy this vignette from my Healer's point of view. It was a hard one to write for me and a lot of you know why so feedback is muchly appreciated :) Special Thanks to VadersMistress and Durhelediel for the beta!

Many Jedi assume that being a Jedi Healer is a soft option. We don?t go on missions, we don?t carry lightsabers, and we rarely leave the Temple, except on the most dire of rescue missions.

Most initiates that are apprenticed to be Healers, like myself, feel that their world has fallen apart. Instead of the Agricorps, they choose Healing.

I tell them that being a Healer is just as rewarding as being a Knight on the toughest of missions. Our work involves saving lives, which is just as honorable as the missions knights go on.

Someone has to care for the injured.

Some of them have never considered the idea of a Knight actually getting hurt. They are forced to find out the hard way that the galaxy is a treacherous place.

There has been a lot of animosity towards Jedi during these last several centuries. I am unsure as to why, but I have seen the results firsthand.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The comlink I always carry with me began beeping insistently. ?Code Red, Master,? my apprentice, Anya, barked. ?Jinn and Kenobi are on their way in and Master Josel has called ahead. Padawan Kenobi is reportedly in cardiac arrest!?

I paled at the news.

For every life we save as Healers, we lose another.

I hope to the Force it won?t be this boy.

I hurriedly gather the rest of my healing team and assemble the equipment in the hangar bay. By being there when they arrive, we give them extra time.

Time is a most precious factor in saving a life.

When the ramp lowered, I rushed up the ramp to find Master Jinn fighting to save his padawan?s life, using field-healing techniques that are taught to all Jedi.

The Master looked exhausted and on the verge of collapse. I pulled him away from Kenobi and immediately placed the boy on the hovergurney.

The race against the chrono has already begun.

?How long has he been in cardiac arrest?? I asked my apprentice.

?About two and a half minutes, according to Master Jinn,? Anya replied breathlessly, running alongside me.

We brought the hovergurney to our special care room, immediately put the defibrillator on his chest, and began efforts to revive him.

From four to six minutes in cardiac arrest brain death and permanent death can occur.

It has been three minutes now.

?Clear!? I yelled and pushed the button that would deliver the electric shock to Kenobi?s heart.

The boy?s body jerked with the jolt, but there was no response.

?Clear!? I yelled again.

Another shock, another jolt. Another futile effort.

Four minutes have passed.

/Force, please save this boy,/ are my desperate thoughts as I yelled again. ?Clear!? I don?t want the task of telling Master Jinn that his beloved apprentice is dead. Master Jinn was devastated when Xanatos left, and I didn?t think he could handle another loss, especially not one as precious as this.

?Clear!? I yelled. At last I was rewarded when Padawan Kenobi breathed in sharply and then began vomiting.

We quickly got him on his side and wiped his mouth when he was done. His chest rose and fell...

...rose and fell?

...rose and fell.

I closed my eyes in relief. ?Anya, tell Master Jinn that we managed to revive him and that I?ll bring him to Intensive Care Room 5 as soon as he?s stable.?

My apprentice did as I asked and I examined Padawan Kenobi?s injuries. Third degree burns decorated his back as if it were some bizarre piece of local artwork, along with what looked like marks from an electrojabber. His right arm was broken and lay at an odd angle. I reached out with the Force to determine the

2. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    It would seem that the Vignette Bunny has been leaving you eggs all over the house, Layren.

For the sake of curiousity, have you found one in the sock drawer yet?

3. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Very inventive! Great to see the Healer's perspective since Obi and Qui rely on them so much :D Awesome!

4. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    Nice viggie, Qui-Gon is so hard-headed. :D

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Geez, Layren, you had me hyperventilating for the first half, then laughing sheepishly at the second half. I loved this perspective and the caring nature of Hanyai'e, who I've never really seen as the sentimental type. Wonderful job.

6. PadawanEstel

PadawanEstel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    =D= That was nice!

Poor healers, never get a break, do they?

on the other hand...

Poor Kenobi and Jinn, never get a break, do they?

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Been looking for an opportunity to read your work and you deliver a vignette! I'm going to pretend you did that just for me, ok? :p

That was a lot of fun to read! I was worried for a second that this was going to be a very horrible AU that killed off poor Obi-Wan! But, you kept him alive! Thanks.

?You have the worst luck of any Jedi I know Jinn,? I replied.

He scowled. ?There?s no such thing as luck.?

?If you insist,? I said absently and I began to take Qui-Gon?s vitals as well.

?So how bad is it?? he asked grudgingly. Qui-Gon is not one of the ward?s better patients.

I began looking him over with the Force and discovered a broken ankle and a broken arm that he was trying to hide. ?At least two twelve-hour bacta sessions and then we?ll see.?

?Twenty-four hours!? he groaned.

?I could make it forty-eight,? I threatened.

Jinn mumbled something about sadistic Healers before saying, ?Fine.?

I'm not a giggler--I swear!! But this had me laughing out loud. [face_laugh] Well done!! =D=

8. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Awww, great stuff! [face_love]

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

You explained it so well, and isn't it just like Qui-Gon and Obi-wan always getting injured, kidnapped, locked up, beaten,
    and occasionally a lovely bit of mush to help put them back together.=D=

10. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Wonderful.

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was absolutely wonderful! Another masterpiece! :D

12. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Graet vig. I really enjoyed it.

13. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Lovely work, m'dear. :D

14. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Great job! Very unique idea, and I liked the attention to detail on the Healer's knowledge. And mush *sigh* the world can never have enough mush.

15. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Oh, I liked that. It was so refreshing to see the focus on the Healer's work instead of another Jedi mission. Plus, I never considered that becoming a healer could be an alternative to the Agricorps, that's got some interesting ramifications to it. And of course Han'yaie is so right that his job is every bit as important as a warrior's, probably more in my opinion!

16. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    ~melts into a pile of mush~

Very good.

Seven

17. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Lovely. Brava! =D= A good thing at the oft-forgotten. I enjoyed the different perspective.

Keep writing these viggies! They're great.

18. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    "Most initiates that are apprenticed to be Healer?s like myself feel that their world has fallen apart. Instead of the Agricorps, they choose Healing.
    I tell them that being a Healer is just as rewarding as being a Knight on the toughest of missions. Our work involves saving lives, which is no way less honorable than missions knights go on. "

And, of course...

"There always remains a life to save. A Healer?s work is never done. "

I really enjoyed this look at the other side of all of those "adventures" that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon keep getting in to! [face_batting]

Good job! =D=

19. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    That was great; sounds just like Jinn to regret being put in bacta for a whole day. Really great, I love the Healer's perspective.

20. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Very neat to see the healer's perspective. And he's right - being a healer is not a sheltered life. I am sure they see just as many horrors as the knights out on the field.

21. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I like it from another perspective- good lil' bunnies :)

22. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Master Layren, this truly is the best work I've seen from you. I am so highly impressed and proud of you that words nearly fail me. My heart rate is still racing from the emotional roller coaster you took me down.

Superb! Bravi, bravi, bravissimi!

=D= =D= =D=

23. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Fluff-Slayer Thank you :D Yes it has been leaving me bunnies at least last week :p I haven't checked, but I will ;)

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi They do don't they? :D Thanks for reading!

LilQui-Gon Indeed he is but that's why we love him ;)

DarthIshtar Han'yaie is the type of Healer who believes in Healing the inside as well as the outside, I just haven't shown it much :D Thanks for reading :)

PadawanEstel No :D They never do ;) We're here to make sure of that :p Thanks for reading :)

Souderwan Wow thanks! I feel so honored ;) I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)

Bastet Thank you!

Gkilkenny Thank you! That's what it's all about right? ;) Thanks for reading!

Darksaber Thank you!

VaderLVR Thank you so much!

Opal Thanks :)

ithesock Thanks!! :)

Jennifer_Lyn THank you! And I quite agree -- never can have enough mush :D

raisedbywolves I agree, being a Healer is one of the most important tasks one can pick :D They save lives every day ;)
    Thanks for reading!

Seven Thank you!

maychorian Glad you're enjoying them my grandpadawan :D

Star_Drifter Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

Kylie_Jinn You know how much Qui hates being in the Healer's ;) I figure he's their most prominient escapee ;) Thanks for reading!

Master_Noi Of course :) Being a Healer they see the results of all the hatred that is brought down on the Jedi ...thanks for reading!

PadawanKitara Thank you!

Durhelediel Thank you so much :) I"m really glad you liked it and I'm glad your heart is still racing, though I hope since it's Sunday that it's slowed down some since then ;)

24. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I thoroughly enjoyed betaing this! It was so well written and the emotions were sincere. Great job! She's right, a healer's work is never done... Especially with Obi-Wan around! ;)

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Like others I found this most enjoyable and a nice look at another POV! Stellar work Layren.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.