main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Where There is Hope - Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Where There is Hope
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan
    Genre: vignette, angst (of course!)
    Summary: A Master leads the way yet again.

Where There is Hope

?I failed you, Master,? Obi-Wan said in the quickly growing twilight.

His Master?s gentle voice sounded in his mind. ?No, my Padawan, you did not fail me.?

?Anakin fell, Master, he fell to the Dark Side and I could not catch him,? the heartbroken knight said softly. ?You entrusted him to me and I did not save him.?

?He was not yours to save, Obi-Wan, not really,? Qui-Gon said.

?He was my Padawan,? Obi-Wan said in an aching voice.

?But was it not his choice to follow the teachings of the Dark Side?? Qui-Gon taught by questioning, and death had not changed him in that at least.

There was silence for a moment. ?Yes, but he would not have been susceptible if I had not failed him in some way.?

There was an answering chuckle from the air. ?That?s rather vain of you, Padawan.?

Obi-Wan straightened up, looking affronted. ?What do you mean, Master??

?I mean, do you think that your actions alone could cause Anakin to turn his back on everything he once believed in, everything he once fought for and defended??

The Jedi buried his face in his hands. ?I cannot help but feel that there is something I could have done, or perhaps should not have done, to prevent all of this.?

?Perhaps you are placing the blame on the wrong shoulders, my Obi-Wan.? Qui-Gon?s voice was infinitely sad. ?I was the one who found him. I was the one who pushed you to train him.?

?Master, it was my honor,? Obi-Wan said softly, fervently. ?And I would do so again?but?differently.?

?Would you train him again, Padawan??

There was silence for a long moment from the Jedi. ?I would train him, but I would watch more closely and?? He shook his head. ?I would be mindful of the Darkness which stalked him.?

?But he is the one who gave himself up to it.?

?But if I had-? His words were cut off.

?Enough! There are too many ?if-onlys? and ?I wish I would haves? for us to contemplate.? Qui-Gon?s voice grew less harsh. ?The past cannot be changed, only the future is within our realm now.?

?And what of the boy??

?Young Luke?? Qui-Gon?s voice sounded almost fond. ?He?ll not follow the same path as his father, but he will not do as you wish him to do either.?

?What do you mean??

?He will not turn toward the shadows, but neither will he be able to turn his back on the one who fathered him.?

?He must defeat Vader and the Emperor!? Obi-Wan?s voice was firm.

?He has the ability,? Qui-Gon mused thoughtfully. ?But his means of doing so might surprise even you, my old friend.?

?I don?t understand,? Obi-Wan replied, his confusion obvious.

?I know you don?t, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said patiently. ?But now is not the time for understanding, now is the time for acceptance.?

Obi-Wan buried his face in his hands. ?I don?t want to accept,? he confessed.

There was a whisper of a touch on his shoulder and then it was gone. ?I know, but acceptance must come first, before change, before understanding, before anything else.?

Obi-Wan?s voice was an open wound. ?I don?t want to accept, Master,? he confessed, full of shame. ?If I accept this, then it is true that Anakin is lost forever and I will never look on my Padawan again.?

?You will meet again,? Qui-Gon said gently.

A sigh that sounded like the mournful winds of a sandstorm blew through the hut. ?I shall not meet Anakin again, Master,? he said mournfully. ?I shall meet the demon who consumed him.?

?One day, the boy may find his way back,? Qui-Gon replied, hope in the goodness of all creatures ringing clearly in his voice.

?You delude yourself, Master,? Obi-Wan chided softly. ?What happened to acceptance??

A soft chuckle and then an answer, honest as Qui-Gon himself. ?As you say, acceptance is hard.?

The two men, one dead, one living shared a moment of companionable silence.

?But there is hope, yes?? Obi-Wan asked at last, needing reassurance

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that was so sweet -- but so sad at the same time..... :_|:_| [face_love]

3. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Wow! This was great, VaderLVR!

Muchos impressive!

KT

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    ?Do you long for death?? Qui-Gon asked sadly.

Obi-Wan smiled and it almost reached his eyes. ?I long for peace,? he admitted.

A breeze lifted Obi-Wan?s hair from the back of his neck, a touch that echoed large hands giving silent reassurance. ?I shall be waiting for you, Padawan,? a deep voice echoed. ?And we shall have peace together.?

A single tear traced its way down Obi-Wan?s cheek and his eyes turned toward the desert, where hope was growing.

:_| I hate you! You always make me cry!

5. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    This was very good, I really enjoyed it!

~KT

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    nicely done. I always love Qui/Obi stories where Qui isn't horrible to Obi. Enjoyed it very much!

7. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Aw, that was just too sweet. Poor Obi-Wan, he always feels bad about Anakin. Qui-Gon knows just how to cheer him up though...

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, that was just perfect, VaderLVR64. It made me a bit teared up too. :p

9. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Obi-Wan smiled and it almost reached his eyes. ?I long for peace,? he admitted.

A breeze lifted Obi-Wan?s hair from the back of his neck, a touch that echoed large hands giving silent reassurance. ?I shall be waiting for you, Padawan,? a deep voice echoed. ?And we shall have peace together.?

:_| :_|

Beautiful, K! You never cease to amaze me with your ability to cut right to the heart of a character's emotions and express those emotions with such eloquence.

Bravo! =D=

10. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    *huggles the Obi clone she made off with from the Obi-Wan character thread in Resource*

That was such a beautiful viggie! :_|:_| I love Obi-Wan/ Qui-Gon interactions like this, and both are perfectly in character.

?I cannot help but feel that there is something I could have done, or perhaps should not have done, to prevent all of this.?

That's the worst feeling in the world! It never fails, whenever you look over an event that turned out poorly, you instantly see everywhere you could've gone wrong, and if you're not careful, it can eat you up inside for a long, long time. Poor Obi! It makes you wish you could do everything you can to show it really isn't his fault!

Again, wonderful viggie!

Stormqueen

11. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I cannot even explain how much I loved this, VL. I could just hear their voices, see Obi-Wan's pain and feel Qui-Gon's remorse and reassurance. The end especially filled me with awe. Beautiful!

12. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Excellent!! =D= Bravo!! I thoroughly enjoyed this, VaderLVR! I'm so glad I found this!

Qui-Gon is so authentic! Your dialogue is beautiful.

Just....excellent. You almost got me a lump in my throat for at the end there (which is quite a feat).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.