main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Here With You (Qui/Obi TPM AU )-- Response to Ridiculously Specific Challenge 4-- Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Title: Here With You
    Author: Layren
    Characters: Qui/Obi
    Summary: What if Qui-Gon survived TPM instead of Obi?
    Author's Notes: I couldn't fit all of the guidelines in this time.. but I did fit some of them in :) Here's my attempt.. Enjoy Everyone!

Qui-Gon absently stirred the noodles in the pot that he was cooking. He checked the chrono to see how much farther the noodles had to go. To his chagrin, he realized the chrono was not working. He sat down at the table in the small kitchenette of his apartment and wondered with some amount of confusion, why he was even cooking in the first place.

He wasn?t hungry. He hadn?t been ever since he had returned from Naboo, without his padawan.

Padawan?

His mind caught on the word. The grief was still fresh, still sore from constant bruising. He couldn?t look around the Temple without missing his padawan?s vivacious presence.

His Obi-Wan was dead, slain at the hand of the Sith Lord on Naboo.

His light, his chosen apprentice, was no more.

//No, that?s not right,// a part of himself chided. //He is alive in the Force.//

That didn?t help, the Jedi teachings didn?t help when the boy he loved with his entire heart was dead. He had loved again, though he almost had not.

The timer went off by the stove and he jumped in surprise, dropping the mug of tea he had just picked up. The cup crashed to the floor and shattered.

Qui-Gon stared at the mess on the floor, in incomprehension.

With a sigh he bent over to wipe the mess up and swept the remnants of the cup into the trash next to him.

He went to the stove reluctantly and drained the noodles of water reached for the spoon and began dipping himself some sauce that he had made. He stared at the plate of food he had fixed as he poured himself a glass of wine.

He did not usually indulge in such things, but today he had. He wanted to forget. He wanted to numb the pain-- to make it not hurt so much. He had lost everything he had. What was the point of resisting the temptation?

He stared at the holopic on the wall behind the kitchen. He smiled sadly, tears misting his eyes as he looked at the picture more closely. It had been taken after Obi-Wan had finished his cooking classes and had baked Qui-Gon dinner that night. Qui-Gon had taken a holopic of the incredible feast that Obi-Wan had cooked for dinner that night and his padawan was wearing a white chef?s hat as was the current trend on Coruscant these days.

Qui-Gon never had found out how his padawan had managed to secure a hat like that to wear when he cooked, nor had he discovered how he managed to make it stay on his head when running through the kitchen, though at the time he had suspected his padawan had used the Force to make it stay in one place.

The figures moving and laughing in the holopic seemed be mocking him.

?Failure,? they whispered.

Qui-Gon flinched and looked away. He couldn?t listen to that. That way lay madness. He wouldn?t stand for it.

He pushed his plate of food away and stood up. He was going for a walk. He paid no heed to the fact that a storm was approaching. The billowing winds blew his cloak and his hair in complete disarray. He had no particular destination in mind. Maybe if he walked far enough he could turn back time.

Turn back time?

Turn back time?

//In time you will heal?// that voice?. he had heard it before in the night, when he awoke from nightmares. The voice always comforted him and urged him to sleep. It sounded so much like his padawan?s voice? but his padawan was dead.

Angry now with himself, he broke into a run. The presence followed him swiftly and silently through the rain.

He wasn?t going to listen to this.

This was the road to insanity and yet?

//Master? don?t grieve for me much longer.// Obi-Wan?s presence shimmered into being before him.

Qui-Gon stopped, frozen in his tracks, unable to say a word.

//Grief has it?s time and it?s place,// Obi-Wan said softly. //The time for grief has long s

2. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh wow, I loved this. I think you should expand it into a longer story.

He did not usually indulge in such things, but today he had. He wanted to forget. He wanted to numb the pain-- to make it not hurt so much. He had lost everything he had. What was the point of resisting the temptation?

I really feel for him, he would have blamed himself for losing Obi-Wan to Maul I'm sure. Great response to the challenge!

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked that you had him doing mundane things, almost as if he were walking through life without touching it. I'm glad that Obi-Wan was able to break through to him and get him to move on.

Good job.

4. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    That didn?t help, the Jedi teachings didn?t help when the boy he loved with his entire heart was dead. He had loved again, though he almost had not.

It?s good to see that Qui-Gon allows himself to grieve and we see that he had loved Obi-Wan. Really in keeping with the small glimpse we had of Qui-Gon?s character. Nice work. =D=

5. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    //I have missed you, my padawan.//

//I know, Master. But I?ll be right here with you until the day you join me in the Force. Everything will be alright now. You can be at peace now.//

And for the first time in six months he was.

You've written a very touching AU fic! [:D]

Well done! =D= =D= =D=

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh good lil viggie there my old Master! [face_love] Qui getting some mush from his Padawan. What a twist to have Obi be the one to have died!

Great job :D

7. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Wonderful. :) I like the different aspect you took with TPM duel in that Qui survived. Even in death Obi-Wan still has Qui wrapped around his finger, meaning he can get him meet his own needs when no one else can due to his grief.

8. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Great job with the challenge!
    I especially liked the way you incorporated all of the little details.

9. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    The figures moving and laughing in the holopic seemed be mocking him.

?Failure,? they whispered

Poor Qui-Gon, I've been there (sans lightsaber battles), you've done a great job portraying the agony of losing a loved one.
    :(

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was very touching

11. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    :_|

?Failure,? they whispered.

Qui-Gon flinched and looked away. He couldn?t listen to that. That way lay madness. He wouldn?t stand for it.

This part in particular stands out. I can just picture Qui-Gon's honest face...

So sad. So marvelous.

You should write while on holiday more often, Layren. :p

12. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    Oh my GOSH! :_| That was beautiful! [:D] @};- [:D] @};- [face_love]

13. Jei-El

Jei-El Jedi Master star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    I must admit I have been a bad reader.[face_blush]
    I read this wonderful offering and gave no praise.
    Yet, I truely enjoyed it and have been checking back regularly in hopes that you might have seen fit to continue it.

Sorry it took so long for me to put my two cents in.

14. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Aw, so sad - :_|

His Obi-Wan was dead, slain at the hand of the Sith Lord on Naboo.

His light, his chosen apprentice, was no more.

A really moving piece Layren...I love how Obi came and comforted him.

Well done. :)

15. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    WOW how wonderfully original....GREAT job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.