main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mission To Pern - JA, AU, X-over with "Dragonriders of Pern"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by p_stotts, Mar 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Two of my favorite fictional stories are Star Wars and the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. I wrote this story several months back as a sort of tribute to both. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

?Mission To Pern?
    BY: p_stotts
    CATEGORY: AU, Crossover with Dragon Riders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey.
    SETTING: Pre-TPM, Obi-Wan is 21.
    RATING: G
    SUMMARY: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are sent to the planet Pern to find a missing team of
    archeologists. Qui-Gon runs into the locals, almost literally.
    DISCLAIMER: They are not mine, much as I wish they were. I make no money off this,
    but wouldn?t it be a dream job come true?
    FEEDBACK is very much appreciated.
    SPECIAL THANKS to Moonscribe, for all your help, support, and beta.

Part 1

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi approached the office of
    Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum after having been informed by the Council that he had
    a mission for them.

Valorum?s secretary smiled as they entered the Supreme Chancellor?s outer office.
    ?Hello, Master Jinn, Padawan Kenobi,? she greeted, ?he?s expecting you.?

?Thank you, Terci,? replied Qui-Gon, before entering his old friend?s office.

Valorum was at his desk talking to another man seated across from him. Both men rose
    to greet the Jedi as they came in.

?Hello, Qui-Gon!? said Valorum enthusiastically, as he extended his hand in greeting.

?How are you, Finis?? inquired Qui-Gon as he grasped his friend?s hand.

?Fine, fine,? he said with a smile before turning to greet the padawan. ?Hello, Obi-Wan.?

?Good afternoon, Supreme Chancellor,? answered Obi-Wan politely, accepting the older
    man?s handshake.

?I?d like you two to meet Professor Cor?l Quidrom,? said Valorum, indicating the other
    man in the room. ?Professor Quidrom is Dean of Archeology and Antiquities at
    Coruscant University.?

Both Jedi nodded politely to the professor and took their seats.

?I?ve requested your presence here today,? Valorum continued, ?because the president of
    Coruscant University has requested Republic assistance in locating a missing team of
    archeologists.?

Qui-Gon cocked an eyebrow in surprise but remained silent.

?Yes, we?ve had a team working in the Rukbat system,? said Quidrom. ?I?m afraid we
    haven?t heard from them in over a month.?

?If I may ask,? interjected Qui-Gon. ?Why did the University wait so long to ask for
    help??

?Well, the planet suffers from sporadic atmospheric disturbances that interfere with
    communications,? explained the professor. ?Prior to this, it wasn?t unusual to not hear
    from them for weeks at a time, but never as long as a month.?

?Which planet are they on?? asked Qui-Gon.

?The local inhabitants call it Pern,? said the professor.

?Have the locals been any help in trying to find the missing archeologists?? asked
    Obi-Wan.

?Well, you see, that?s the trouble,? answered the professor. ?They?re rather primitive, and
    we?ve been trying not to come in contact with them at all. Which hasn?t been much of a
    problem since the team was excavating a site on the planet?s southern continent, which
    also happens to be for the most part uninhabited at the present time.?

?Any chance the locals could have stumbled across them anyway??

?No, Master Jinn,? the professor shook his head, ?I don?t think that would be very likely.
    The only settlement on the southern continent is a hundred miles or more to the north of
    the excavation site, and the inhabitants have no modern conveyances at all.?

?Think you can be of help, Qui-Gon?? asked Valorum.

?I?d need to look at whatever data is available on Pern, first,? answered Qui-Gon, ?but, I
    don?t see why not.?

The master/padawan pair stood on the bridge of the Republic cruiser, Stratton, looking
    out the viewport at the surface of the planet Pern.

?It looks fairly peaceful,? commented Obi-Wan.

?Yes, but looks can be deceiving,? answered Qui-Gon.

?Sir, we?re picking up more of those atmospheric disturbances the archeological

2. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Cool!!!!
    Let me just see if i'm not lost around time-lines(i don't like to go between in time ;))

This takes place during the events on "white dragon" rigth?

Well,abyway,i think it's very well done, and you've putted togheter two great things. There's almost no fanfiction out there on those books, and this one is really nice.
    I'm waitting forward for more! :)

3. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Yes, this would take place during, or just after the events in "The White Dragon." Glad you like it! ;)

4. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
  5. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Part 2

Early the next morning, Obi-Wan was awakened by an incoming message. Jumping off
    the sleep couch, he quickly answered it and was relieved to see the face of the Stratton?s
    captain on the other end.

?Padawan Kenobi,? said the captain, looking concerned. ?We?ve been trying to reach you
    and Master Jinn for hours.?

?Master Jinn is missing,? Obi-Wan informed him, ?and I couldn?t contact you due to
    interference.?

The captain nodded his understanding, and directed his attention off to his right for a
    moment. Turning back to the screen, he continued his conversation. ?Our sensors have
    picked up the location of Master Jinn?s shuttle. He?s about 50 miles to the east of your
    location. I?m transmitting the coordinates to your navicomputer now.?

?Thank you, Captain,? said Obi-Wan. ?I?ll let you know what I find.?

Breaking the transmission, Obi-Wan hurriedly settled into the pilot?s chair and eased the
    shuttle into the air. It took him only ten minutes to reach the coordinates the captain had
    sent him, and he soon spotted the remains of Qui-Gon?s shuttle on the ground.

Landing as close as possible, Obi-Wan bounded out the shuttle hatch even before the ramp
    finished lowering to the ground. Easing through the crack in the center of the crippled
    shuttle, he frantically searched the interior, but soon discovered that his master wasn?t
    inside.

Calming himself, he reached out again over the bond. His eyes went wide as he detected
    pain, and jumbled incoherent thoughts.

*Master, * he sent, and was shocked when he felt Qui-Gon?s mind withdraw from him.
    *Master, it?s me, * he sent again, but garnered the same results. It was as if his master
    didn?t know him, and was afraid for some reason.

F?lar, his brother F?nor, Jaxom, N?ton from Fort Weyr, and T?bor from High Reaches
    Weyr, all came out from between with their dragons in close proximity to where the
    stranger?s air ship had crashed.

F?lar?s eyes widened in surprise when they saw not one, but two air ships on the ground.
    One appeared to be undamaged, its occupants probably trying to find out what had
    happened to their sister ship. He quickly told Mnementh to warn the other dragons and
    riders to be silent as they descended to the ground in a semi-circle around both shuttles.

Obi-Wan?s senses were alert to danger as he detected the presence of five humans with
    five other sentient creatures directly outside the shuttle. He couldn?t understand how he
    hadn?t felt them approaching, but knew he had to face them. They might know where
    Qui-Gon was.

Slipping out through the crack, he stopped short when he saw that he was surrounded by
    four huge dragons, with riders, and one smaller dragon with it?s rider. Casting out with
    the Force, he detected surprise and caution in their minds, but no malice or harmful intent.

Taking a deep breath, he prayed that they understood Basic as he opened his mouth to
    speak. ?Hello,? he said experimentally.

The man on the largest bronze dragon nodded to him, but remained silent.

?My name is Obi-Wan Kenobi,? he continued, pointing to himself as he said it. ?I?m
    looking for my friend. He may be injured.?

?We know where he is,? said the man, whom Obi-Wan assumed was their leader.

Obi-Wan silently thanked the Force that they understood him. ?Can you take me to him??

The leader glanced at the man sitting on the large brown dragon beside him. Obi-Wan
    was astonished to realize that the riders were telepathically communicating with one
    another through their dragons. At the other man?s nod, the leader returned his attention
    to Obi-Wan.

?Climb aboard,? he said, indicating space behind him on the dragon?s neck.

?One moment, please,? said Obi-Wan as he ran over to his shuttle and secured the hatch
    so no one could enter it in his absence.

Then, he cautiously approached the large bronze, and was surprised to detect curiosity,
    and amusement coming from the dragon. He was even more surprised when the dragon
    extended it?s front leg to give Obi

6. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    great story line---two of my favorite!

Just curious--you said this takes place after "The White Dragon." Robinton is a former Masterharper, Sebell is the current one. Of course, Benden Weyrleaders would probably prefer to have Robinton's advice in this matter, anyway. Also, they had already excavated the shuttles and the original Landing and had an idea as to some of the technology lost--that explains why they weren't overly surprised by the shuttles of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

I like the way the fellis juice interfered with Qui-Gon's ability to use the force to shield himself from the telepathic communications surrounding him. Can't wait for more story.....

;) ;)

7. Cate

Cate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2001
    Oh! A saw the title and my mouth dropped open! I had toyed with the idea of a crossover like this a while back, but nothing came of it.

Great start, hope to see more soon!

8. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks Jedi Candy and Cate! Sorry for the mistake with Robinton. I lost my Dragonrider books when I moved and I was pretty much going from memory and what I could pull up on different websites. Of course it is an AU, which means anything is fair game!

Tune in tomorrow for the conclusion. ;)

9. anya Skywalker

Jun 14, 2000
    That was another great post! :)
    Well, I guess I'll just have to stay tuned in for the next chapter... ;)

10. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hm, doesn't matter WHO the current Masterharper is, you just KNOW that Robinton would find a way to be on hand! :)

Great premise, PS!

11. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    this is great!@!!!!! .... more?

12. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Oh, of course! I'll post the rest tomorrow! ;)

13. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    It's been years since I read any of the Dragonrider books. Reading your x-over makes me remember how much I enjoyed them. Looking forward to your next post.

14. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Me, I'm quite happy to see an AU with Robinton still alive- and he's just the person to be fascinated by off-worlders, too. :)

15. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks! :D I never expected this story to generate so much feedback! Makes me think I should write a sequel. ;)

Part 3

Obi-Wan knew that a trip from Coruscant would take approximately eight hours, so he
    tried to make the most of the time by spending it in a light trance, concentrating on
    sending energy to Qui-Gon through the Force.

His master was now completely unresponsive to any attempts to contact him over their bond, and Obi-Wan was worried. He was relieved when his comlink finally beeped, and he checked his wrist chrono to see that nine hours had passed since his last conversation with the Stratton?s captain.

?Kenobi, here,? he said. Lessa was the only other person in the room with them, and she was looking at him intently as he answered the call.

?We?ve arrived, Obi-Wan,? said the voice over the comlink.

?Master Windu!? exclaimed Obi-Wan. He was both surprised and relieved to hear the
    voice of one of Qui-Gon?s oldest and closest friends. ?Thank the Force you?re here!?

?We have a medical transport,? said Mace, ?but we need a place to land.?

Obi-Wan looked at Lessa. ?Can they land the transport in the Weyr?s bowl??

?That depends, how big is it?? asked Lessa.

?Oh, it will fit,? Obi-Wan assured her. ?Do we have your permission??

?Of course,? said Lessa. ?I?ll let F?lar know.?

?Master Windu, just home in on my comlink signal,? instructed Obi-Wan. ?You?ll see a complex built into the mountaintop. Land in the center of it. I?ll meet you there.? ?We?ll do that,? answered Mace. ?How is he, Obi-Wan??

?He?s holding on, Master Windu,? answered Obi-Wan, ?but you should hurry.?

?We?ll be there soon,? said Mace before terminating the connection.

?Let me get Sharra to come stay with Qui-Gon,? said Lessa, ?and then we?ll go meet your friends.?

Obi-Wan thanked her, and sat down next to Qui-Gon?s bed to await Sharra?s arrival.
    ?Just a little bit longer, Master,? he said to Qui-Gon. ?Help has arrived. Even Master Windu is here.?

Obi-Wan jumped up as soon as Lessa came back with Sharra. After thanking the healer, he hurriedly followed Lessa through the myriad of passageways until they emerged at the top of the stairs that led down into the bowl of Benden Weyr.

Squinting against the bright sunlight, Obi-Wan looked around and noted that every
    possible perch around the Weyr was taken up with dragons of different sizes and colors. But, especially noteworthy was the number of bronze and gold dragons.
    Looking down into the bowl, Obi-Wan understood why. Every Weyrleader and his mate on the planet must have come to see the Jedi transport land. He really couldn?t blame them for being concerned. Personally, he thought they were showing extraordinary courage to allow them to come at all.

Hearing the familiar hum of engines powering down, Obi-Wan looked up to see a Temple medical transport descending into the bowl. He was glad they?d brought this particular kind of transport, as it would have a fully equipped medical facility on board, including a bacta tank.

?You?d better get down there, Obi-Wan,? said Lessa from behind him.

Obi-Wan didn?t need to be told twice, and he hurried down the stairs, making it to the
    bottom just as the transport gently settled onto the bowl floor. He and the assembled
    group covered their eyes to protect themselves from the swirling dust clouds that were
    kicked up by the landing transport.

The assembled leaders politely made a pathway so Obi-Wan could pass through them to approach the transport first. The rest of the group hung back a little as a ramp was
    lowered.

Obi-Wan scanned the group with the Force as he walked past them, and was relieved to detect only mild nervousness and curiosity. Once again, he felt amazement at the courage and dignity of these people who?d never encountered space travelers before.

Obi-Wan bowed to the three hooded figures as they descended the ramp, one in brown, and two in blue. ?Master Windu,? greeted Obi-Wan to the Councilor. ?Master Dartik,? he said to the master healer. ?Padawan

16. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    very good. now we need.....A SEQUEL A SEQUEL A SEQUEL!

Did ya get the subtle hint to do a sequel?! :D ;)

17. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Hmmm....I'll have to think about it for awhile. Yes, it really does need a sequel, doesn't it? :confused: Right now though, I'm writing the sequel to "Old Demons, New Demons, Demons in the Dark," so it may be awhile. Plus I started a stand-alone story that happens thirteen years after the events in "A World Away," but I won't forget about this one. ;)

18. anya Skywalker

Jun 14, 2000
    That was great! :)
    Poor archeologists though... They should never go to somewhere when they don't know what migth happen.
    and a sequel is needed! As soon as you have time,that is. :)

Can you imagine Palpy's face if all of the sudden lot's of Jedi appeared in front of him, sitted on dragins, after jumping between in time? :D

19. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Wow! Now that's an idea worth considering!
    :D

20. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
  21. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I don't think they'd be a match for stormtroopers, but I'm betting Ramoth could sniff out a Sith! :)

That was well done, PS!

22. anya Skywalker

Jun 14, 2000
    He wouldn't really stand a chance... Poor Palpy!
    ~Wait,what am I saying? Do it,do it! ;)
    But what I was thinking was that they could jump between, in time. See what the future has in store for them... And then get back to their time. [face_devil]

23. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    THat was great!!! ...it's over????? [Luke]NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!![/Luke] How 'bout a sequel? please?

24. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    I'm keeping that in mind, but right now I'm busy working on the sequel to "Old Demons, New Demons, Demons in the Dark." I'll put this one on my to do list. ;)

25. anya Skywalker

Jun 14, 2000
    Just upping it, so that more people can find it... It's too good to be eated by the "Locked" monster! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.