main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Old Boots Qui/Obi ** NEW EDIT NOTE **Complete, One shot, posts please??

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TRADMIC, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    Short vig

All I ask is that you read it through, then maybe read it over once you reach the end

And any posts greatly appreciated (new)

Thanks and hope you like it!!

THE OLD BOOTS

Obi Wan looked at the boots.

New, shiny, never worn.

Qui Gon?s boots.

He didn?t want to wear those.

Qui Gon always preferred his old boots.

The Council had questioned many times about the old ones, beat up and worn beyond their proper use. They had sent new ones directly to their quarters, a not so subtle hint. Qui Gon had brought them in and thrown them in the corner.

And there they stayed, even as he was looking at them now.

?These are more comfortable,? Qui Gon replied simply. Obi Wan had asked him if he could just wear the new ones around the Temple when they were there. To avoid the...looks, the talk.

?Are you so concerned with what others think??
    Qui Gon continued to stride down the corridor

?It?s a little embarrassing, all the talk.? Obi Wan admitted.

The Master gave a questioning look.
    ?What talk? No one has said anything to me.
    Has anyone said anything to you??

?Well, no. Not out loud, Master.? Obi Wan knew by the smirk on his master?s face that he was perfectly aware of what he meant.
    Of course no one had mentioned it out loud, no one dared to question him. They merely point and gossip in hushed whispers.

?Why do you care what they think? Isn?t my comfort more important??

?Yes, Master,? he replied with a lowered head.

Of course he preferred the old boots.

He wore them through many tough missions. Even Obi Wan himself had worn them; well, one of them...

He?d walked straight into that pit in his haste to get off that horrible planet...

A Hovrocki mud swamp. It was the same color as the rest of the land. An easy mistake to walk into one, especially if one were not on full guard. The swamp sunk into the ground, taking with it anything or creature that had the misfortune of stumbling into it - slowly.

Slowly, and surely.
    So slowly that at first it seemed comical. It looked as if ObiWan stood on plain, solid ground. As if he could have simply walked right off the spot in which he stood. But he couldn?t. The pull of the swamp was too great.

Qui Gon determined the parameter of the swamp. Going to the point closest to Obi Wan, he tried to reach to him, but couldn?t. Then Obi Wan strained his legs trying to walk out of the thing, to pull his feet from the vacuuming force pulling at him.

The more he struggled, the more quickly he was pulled in.

He was up to his ankles now.

?Master, I can?t get out! The force of it is to strong!?

?Keep your calm, Obi Wan.?

Qui Gon replied, thinking and looking through his survival pack for something of use.

?Master, look quickly! It?s taking me down. Slowly, but hard! I can feel it pulling at my legs! It?s already pulled off my boots!?

Obi Wan looked to his own survival pack. He had stumbled when his feet entered the swamp, sending the pack careening forward. What was left of it was being consumed in one last bubble. How long before that is me?

Up to his waist now.

Qui Gon activated his cable launcher several times. Finally it was in a position for Obi Wan to grab the cable perfectly positioned over his head. He held onto it, but it proved useless in helping him pull himself out.
    Not wanting to lose his utility belt, Obi Wan took it off and threw it to Qui Gon. Then he tossed he cloak and gripped the cable again.

?There is nothing here to use,? Qui Gon said finally. He had attempted to pull Obi Wan from the relentless, sucking swamp with large sticks and anything else he could find.

Nothing helped. Nothing worked.

Now it was serious. Obi Wan continued to hold the cable, now bowed downward. He could feel the sting of it impressing on his palms.

?I?ll make a run for the ship,? Qui Gon suggested, ?that?s our only hope.?

He wanted to jump in there along with Obi Wan. But that would n

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This was absolutely wonderful! I loved the symbolism of the old boots (I have a pair of old jeans that means the same to me!) and Obi-Wan's reflections on the man his Master was! I'll have to keep an eye out for more of your work! Bravo! Absolutely beautiful viggie! =D=

3. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Wow, that was wonderful! =D= =D= =D=

It is amazing that something so simple can hold so many memories. Poor Obi-Wan. :_|

You capture so many emotions in this and I really enjoyed it! [:D]

Incredible job!

Ani-maniac

4. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Very lovely. I liked the story of the swamp, it was almost funny, but then scary too, and Qui-Gon's kindness to his poor nakey apprentice. :D

The last line was wonderful.

Keep writing!

5. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Wow. I'm speechless. I hope I can write that good.

6. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Very nice=D=

7. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    VaderLVR64: Thank you so much, please do watch for me,
    I?m new but I may be trouble [face_devil] O:) ?????

Ani-maniac: Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your support[:D]

maychorian: Qui Gon is indeed kind to have left Obi some dignity. I hope you enjoyed the ?naky apprentice? as much as I enjoyed stripping the boy of his dignity with my words [face_devil]

Jauhzmynn: Thanks for posting; glad you liked it:)

padawanlissa Thanks for reading !!:)

8. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Oh wonderful! That was such a lovely viggie, very heart warming!

It reminds me of this old shirt I really love and my old blanket that I simply will not exchange for any of the new ones my mum tries to bribe me with..lol..

Poor Obi being sucked into the swamp..even nature won't leave him alone..LOL>

and how did you know I was going to reread it? :D:D

I can't wait to read more from you. :D [:D]

9. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    He looked at them.
    The new boots.
    Shiny, new, never worn.

He didn?t think he?d keep them. They were never worn by his master.
    And he couldn?t use them.
    His feet would not fill them.

No one?s would.

No one can fill your boots, Master..

This is simply beautiful! :)

No one could ever fill his boots...

You are truly a gifted writer, Tradmic !

I am really enjoying everthing you have written! [:D]

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    That was cute. :) Qui-Gon's teasing, and poor Obi-Wan feeling 'the talks' so much. And then the last few lines...oh!:_| Beautiful. Good work, TRADMIC!

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A most enjoyable viggie Tradmic. I found your characterizations of my fave Jedi just right and will watch for more from you as well.

12. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwww such wonderful Qui/Obi mush.. so like Qui-Gon to offer his padawan his boots... even if they didn't fit :D

Lovely lovely job!

13. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Awe *sniff* Mush and mild angst, I love it! Awesome job!

14. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Magnificent! :D

The best thing about this viggie is that just about everybody can relate to Qui-Gon's attachment to his old boots. This was very well written.

Fantastic job!!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Another cute one. I loved that Qui-Gon wants to keep his old boots - comfort is important! LOL.

Good job.

16. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    :D Absolutely wonderful! I know just how Qui-gon feels, I?m 24, but just let someone try to take my old teddy bear! :mad:

17. nd_jedi

nd_jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    Oh, that was sad :(.

His face was still encompassed in hands now soaked with tears. In the darkness of it, he recalled the old boots. Flames engulfing them, consuming them along with the man who had been his life.
    His heart ached.

That made my heart break - now Obi doesn't even have his old boots to remind him of his master, just his memories.:_| :_|

18. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aawwwww, just lovely. [face_love]

Poor Obi-Wan, getting his clothes sucked off in such an undignified manner. ;) And then I loved how Qui offered him his favorite boots, awww, how sweet. [face_love]

The end was so sad, though! :_| No one can fill your boots, Master.. *sniff*

Beautiful viggie!! =D= Thanks for sharing! :D

19. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Wow, didn't expect so many people to respond!

Thanks everyone![:D]
    I am so honored, and I appreciate your encouragement!

Sorry I had to torture Obi in such an undignified way.[face_devil]

I'm glad everyone could relate to the story, and sorry if I broke a few hearts. My fave jedi too, so I :_| with Obi Wan and you all.

That's why I add a little touch of humor, see? So we don't all crumble completely!!;)

20. moonwashedrose

moonwashedrose Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2005

what a sweet heart warming story! awww! (sniff sniff)

I loved it. =D= [face_love]

21. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Very moving piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.