main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Volunteers needed: Creche Care Center update 9/23 COMPLETE!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TRADMIC, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    Title: Volunteers Needed: Creche Care Center
    Characters: Qui/Obi/Ali Alann/ younglings/ more to be determined
    Summary: Illness befalls the creche nursery and care center. Several children and caregivers are stricken with the illness and need to be quarantined. Any available Jedi are encouraged to sign up for brief shifts at the care centers until the caregivers are well enough to return

Volunteers needed.

That?s what the notice had read.

Qui Gon and his apprentice, Obi Wan Kenobi had just returned from a mission. The notice was posted on every door. In short, it described an illness that had befallen the creche nursery and care centers. The illness had affected several of the younglings and most of their caregivers, but once quarantined, the illness came under control.

The children remaining unaffected still needed supervision. Many of the healers were busy with the sick. The ones who had taken temporary duty over the care centers had done so with no relief. Any available Jedi in the Temple were being asked to help by taking short rotas to relieve them.

The children?s main caregiver, Master Ali Alann was sick indeed.
    Qui Gon contacted him by com to ask how they could be of assistance. Having helped Qui Gon in the past, the Master was compelled to help in this time of need.

Ali briefed Qui Gon on the ?mission?.

Master Jinn chuckled at the idea of this being a mission.

The requirements were clear: they were to lead the children through their regular routine. No lightsabers were to be carried. The caregiver explained that Master Yoda and others had taken responsibility for the older children, but he still needed help for midday shift with the infants and the very young.
    Master Alann was pleased that Qui Gon had offered to help.
    Obi Wan was not.

?Go easy on them, Master Jinn,? Alann appealed with a cough.
    ?Children behave differently with those who are unfamiliar to them.?

After hearing what was available (and Obi-Wan?s panic stricken, head -shaking- wildly protest to ?infants?) Qui Gon took the assignment with the very young, and bid Master Alann a get well.

?Volunteers, Master. It didn?t say we had to,? Obi Wan whined.

?That is no way to respond in the face of need, padawan. It is a simple assisgnment.?

?But we just got back,? he protested. ?And I don?t know that much about children.?

?Well you are just a big one yourself,? Qui Gon pointed out.

Obi Wan made a face, realizing he did sound a little whiny.

Seeing his reaction, Qui Gon clarified. ?What I meant was, you should have some experience, as you were young yourself not long ago.?

Perking with the remark, Obi Wan teased, ?If being close in age to them is experience, you will be quite unqualified.?

Qui Gon narrowed his eyes. ?Do you enjoy taunting me, young one??

This assignment will be a good learning experience for you, Padawan.

?We could both benefit from the experience,? Qui Gon said with a sly grin.

Obi Wan eyed him resentfully.
    Qui Gon?s grin got wider.

?I have a bad feeling about this.?

The Jedi team walked to the designated care center, Qui Gon checked their schedule.

?They should be finishing up their art lessons. Next on the schedule is their free play. It is unstructured time for the younglings to explore... should be easy.?

The low rumble of young voices could be heard outside the door. As the door opened, the rumble became an overwhelming rush of noise. Younglings everywhere, some at the art center, many running amok, all making noise for no apparent reason.

Not good.[/i]

The jedi on this rota caught sight of Qui Gon and Obi Wan amongst the chaos. They quickly approached the two.

?Master Jinn, so generous of you and your padawan to take a shift in this time of need.?

?We are always pleased to..?

?We?d love to stay, but we have so many other duties to attend to,? the Jedi interrupted Qui Gon, and started to list his other many duties. Quickly handing him a towel, he sped off to t

2. TheLurker

TheLurker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2005
    nice. i can only imagine the havoc the children would put qui and obi through...

~Rhi

3. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    The low rumble of young voices could be heard outside the door. As the door opened, the rumble became an overwhelming rush of noise. Younglings everywhere, some at the art center, many running amok, all making noise for no apparent reason.

[face_laugh] This is going to be good, very good! :D

I can't wait for more "Chaos in the Creche"! ;)

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    LOL! I like how OBi-Wan is not looking forward to this. Must say I am though!!

5. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Love this.

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?No, Obi Wan, only challenged fan fic writers break my nose.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Very funny. I can't wait to see what the younglings put Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan through next!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

7. Force-sensitiveLyn23

Force-sensitiveLyn23 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 27, 2005
    lol. Keep writing!!

8. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    This is too cute!

"No, Obi-Wan. Only fanfic writers break my nose."

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Hope to see more soon! :D

Stormqueen

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  10. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    [face_laugh] I like it

11. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Thanks for reading everyone

More fun for our guys...

?Be careful.? Obi Wan admonished the little one.

He shrugged playfully then went to retrieve the toy.

They made their way through the young ones.
    The effort was similar to weaving double speed in Coruscant air traffic.

?Hello, younglings,? Master Jinn greeted pleasantly.
    ?I am Master Jinn, and this is Obi Wan Kenobi. We will be taking care of you until Master Alann returns.?

Several different sets of eyes stared up at the towering Master.

?Are you almost finished here? It?s time for free play.?
    Qui Gon held up the towel, trying to entice them to move on.

?Look what I made!? a little voice piped.

Qui Gon stooped low to the little one.
    ?Let?s have a look at the masterpiece,? he encouraged.

The boy snatched it up from the table, intending to hold it up for the Master. But he misperceived his effort in his excitement, and shoved the paper right in Qui Gon?s face.

The youngling was stunned.

?Sorry,? he said with innocent little eyes. He peeled it from Qui Gon?s face.

?It?s alright, young one,? he said calmly, picking off a bits of collage from his beard.
    ?Always keep a calm center,? the Master advised the boy, who still looked embarrassed.

The young one perked up, eyes lit at the forgiveness. He sprung up from the table and hugged Qui Gon?s neck, the sticky collage project still in his hand. Now the master could feel the masterpiece sticking to his hair.

?You can have this,? the youngling said, finally letting go and handing Qui Gon his project.

Obi Wan looked down, way down, at his master.

Still crouched down on the floor, he had bits of color stuck now in his hair, beard, and face.

He quickly rose, handing Obi Wan the towel.

?Make yourself useful,? he belted.

And wipe that smile off your face, he thought.
    He didn?t say it though, knowing his wise padawan would probably wipe his mouth mockingly with the towel.

The sticky concoction and collage materials were everywhere.

?Hurry up, Master,? Obi Wan washed the tables in a fury. ?Jedi do not turn their backs.?

Qui Gon laughed out loud. It was an old principle not to turn your back--- to an enemy.

He was anxious, though. Around them, the children were getting louder and the jamboree wilder.

To make matters worse, Qui Gon found that one of the younglings had taken the collage adhesive beyond the art table. The children were now using it to get things to stick to the wall, floor, and themselves.

He rushed over to repossess the bottle of adhesive. The child protested and whined, inciting a rally of more.

Qui Gon tucked it into his utility belt.

?Can you tie this?? A girl Twi?lek pointed her shoe at Obi Wan.

?Of course?, he said, bending to tie it. ?I?m Juina,? she tipped her head with a smile.

?Hello, I?m Obi Wan.?

The padawan got up, and no sooner was called to the same duty by another youngling, and another,a dn another. It seemed there was an epidemic of untied shoes.

While stooped down addressing another shoe, a youngling begged him to come read them a story.

?Come on,? he pleaded, tugging at Obi Wan?s braid.

?Ow, that is not a leash! Let go!? He shouted, prying the little hand from his hair.

Qui Gon fervently tried to calm the children and organize some of the mess of toys. It was a losing battle.
    His padawan was not doing any better.

?Come down from there before you get hurt,? Obi Wan cautioned. ?Don?t do that! Stop running! No, put that down! Do not put that in your mouth...or your nose!?

Coming to the costume area, he caught his reflection.
    He stood, arms crossed in from of his chest.
    It was Qui Gon?s lecturing stance.
    He shivered out of the position.

A Calamarian youngling had gotten entangled in an old jedi robe used as costume. He helped her, then was approached with another dilemma.

?Can you tie this again, Obi Wan??

It was Juina. She?d been trailing him all around the place. Of the times she did leave, she

12. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    [face_laugh] I'm glad I found this! Poor Qui and Obi, they seem to have gotten in over their heads this time. ;) I can certainly relate...

Thanks for the bracelet! :D Please post more soon, I can't wait to see what happens in the major battle scene!

13. Star_Drifter

Jul 18, 2005
    ?Well, we didn?t bring our survival kits, though I?m starting to think it would have been wise.?

Qui Gon sighed. ?Hurry. If you are not back here...? he warned with the look, hoping it would suffice. He couldn?t really think of a punishment that topped returning to the care center itself.

[face_laugh] *note to self, always bring your survival kit when visiting the Creche Care Center*

And, Qui-Gon not able to think of a worse punishment than returning to the Center? Too much! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Tradmic, this is wonderful! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

14. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Poor Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. In over their heads with the younglings...

I don't know who got it worse this time, Qui-Gon with all the art project all over him or Obi-Wan being thrown up on. Poor guys!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

15. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

OMG, Qui-Gon with the toy com link... *wipes tears from her eyes* This is such a cute, wonderful fic, and I can't wait to see what else you've got in store for us!

Hope you update soon! :D

Stormqueen

16. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    It seemed there was an epidemic of untied shoes. [face_laugh]

?Ow, that is not a leash! Let go!? He shouted, prying the little hand from his hair. [face_laugh]

Do you enjoy taunting me, young one?? he asked, stooping down.
    He cringed.
    Force!
    Qui Gon had said those exact words to him just today!
    [face_laugh]

Eyes and focus on his padawan, Qui Gon absently try to clip the com link on his belt. [face_laugh]

Ha ha, this is hilarious! Oh please do PM me with updates, I can't wait to see what happens next! [face_dancing]

17. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Ok here's some more, next post will complete...
    thanks for reading!

Obi Wan obeyed his Master in his haste.

First, he was in a hurry to rid himself of the soiled robes.
    Second, his Master could and would think of a suitable punishment; most likely it would be signing him up for a swing shift with the younglings.
    Third, he was obligated to protect him; it didn?t seem right to abandon him with....them.

Qui Gon had mentioned Obi Wan had been a youngling once too.

He didn?t remember being that...whiny and annoying.

Walking back to the Sithlings Care Center, he stopped to check the time. His head snapped back and his shoulders drooped.
    Only halfway through the shift.

When Obi Wan returned, Qui Gon was trying futilely to organize the room.

?Younglings,? he called out, ?you should be helping with the clean up effort.?

He said it with enough of a tone to gain compliance, though their ?help? was making even more of a mess of the place. Little hands tried stacking things up on shelves, only to send more things toppling and clanging to the ground.
    More crying resulted, too.

?Do you have a plan B?? Obi Wan asked hopefully.

?Why don?t you take all of them to the kitchen for midday meal.
    I will stay in here and clean this up.?

What kind of idiot does he think I am? Obi Wan thought, making a face.

?Oh, I don?t think so.?

So he is wise, Qui Gon mused.
    He checked the time and schedule again.

?Let?s get them in the kitchen, then, and we?ll worry about the mess later.?

?Agreed.?

Once the Jedi team finally managed to get everyone to the kitchen and seated, they counted heads. It was good to be successful in one task.

The two tried to unpack the meals together in order to get it done quickly. Soon it became clear that the children would use this lack of supervision against the Jedi team.

Obi Wan truly wondered if some of these children were Sith-spawns.

He continued to ready the meals and Qui Gon attempted to distract the children and quiet them down. They shouted for their food, whined and even cried that they were hungry and tired.

And the questions!!!
    What are we eating, when will it be ready, what is taking so long...
    Qui Gon tried to keep his calm, answering to their concerns patiently.

He?s a dead ship, Obi Wan thought, going down fast.

Obi Wan thought to slow his pace, to give Qui Gon the proper time necessary to see the consequences of taking up missions with pathetic life forms.

But he worked faster, sensing the urgent need to protect his Master.

Qui Gon looked desperately to his padawan.
    ?Can you try some negotiation skills, here, Padawan??

Then there was a weak beep.

It was Qui Gon?s com link (the real one), barely audible above the noise.
    He put up a hand and tried to quiet the younglings.

It was Adi Gallia.
    She informed Qui Gon that young Weio-To did in fact have the illness and would be staying at the healers.

?You are returning, though, right?? Qui Gon asked, desperation evident in his voice now.

Adi laughed. ?Do you need backup, again, Master Jinn??

Qui Gon gave her a briefing of their progress.

?Adi, do you hear them? We are in a bit of a situation...they are an unstoppable force! We are in a losing battle here... suggestions would be appreciated.?

The laughter multiplied across the comlink, evidence that Master Gallia had shared the communication of their demise with others.

After the laughter died down, Adi spoke.
    ?Sing to them, Qui Gon. They will stop questioning and crying to listen to your song.?

Another hearty laugh.
    Coming from that insolent young apprentice!

Obi Wan had heard the suggestion.
    He knew Qui Gon would submit, too.

As Jedi they were taught not to give in to captors, but a song may be
    considered a type of compromise.

Some of the children heard too. They quieted a little with anticipation.

?Why don?t you sing something, Padawan? You have a

18. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    What kind of idiot does he think I am? Obi Wan thought, making a face.

?Oh, I don?t think so.?

So he is wise, Qui Gon mused.

Another hearty laugh.
    Coming from that insolent young apprentice!

Qui Gon glared at him. Obi Wan averted the look quickly, but he could have sworn he saw Qui Gon?s eyes flicker with a yellow-crimson glow....

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Ha ha ha!! That's funny how the 'sith-spawned younglings' are turning Qui-Gon into a sith! ;)

Great update, I can't wait for more! :D

19. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    LOL, this is great!!! Good job!!! :D

20. Star_Drifter

Jul 18, 2005
    ?Adi, do you hear them? We are in a bit of a situation...they are an unstoppable force! We are in a losing battle here... suggestions would be appreciated.?
    The laughter multiplied across the comlink, evidence that Master Gallia had shared the communication of their demise with others.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

//Master! I fear you are turning...perhaps a song...//

Qui Gon glared at him. Obi Wan averted the look quickly, but he could have sworn he saw Qui Gon?s eyes flicker with a yellow-crimson glow....

You don't know the power of a Sithling! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Wonderful update! I can't wait to see if they survive! [face_batting]

21. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005

Obi Wan truly wondered if some of these children were Sith-spawns. [face_laugh]

He?s a dead ship, Obi Wan thought, going down fast. [face_laugh]

?Why don?t you sing something, Padawan? You have a wonderful singing voice.? [face_laugh]

he could have sworn he saw Qui Gon?s eyes flicker with a yellow-crimson glow.... [face_laugh]

Great update! [face_laugh] and oh dear, are the screws in Qui's head coming loose by a pack of children? ha ha!
    I work in a childcare centre sometimes, so man, I can sympathise. :p

thanks for the PM and keep it coming! [face_dancing]

22. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Obi Wan truly wondered if some of these children were Sith-spawns.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

This is too funny. Keep up the good work

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Sithlings Care Center

What a great brain tickle! [face_laugh]

24. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    I am so glad everyone is enjoying this, last post with the "battle" and ending will be up really soon i promise...

yes, Qui Gon is definitely losing his famous "calm center" and Obi Wan isn't helping is he? He should have sung the song, I do belive he has a wonderful singing voice...

25. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    It seems I may have put people to sleep with this one...I-)
    Well, for anyone still reading this, you will want to know if the younglings turn Qui to the dark side, right? Well, here is the "Battle" and the grand finale, the ending.
    Complete...yay...here's some coffee for ya[face_coffee]

Qui Gon attempted a song. The younglings tried to sing along.

It took Obi Wan so much effort to suppress his laughter he thought he would burst. Tears streamed down his face as he listened to his Master?s impromptu jingle.

?Problem, Padawan?? Qui Gon said, catching the tears and apparent pain of his apprentice.

?No, Master. Must be something in the food,? he said wiping his eyes with his sleeve.

?No fair!? a youngling shrilled. The little one pointed at Obi Wan. ?He?s not singing with us!?

Obi Wan froze. He could actually sense his Master?s sneer behind him.

Oh, sweet justice! Qui Gon smiled.

But the padawan turned, revealing only a smile.

?Maybe a little later...? Obi Wan deflected the youngster?s request like a blaster bolt with a lightsaber. ?Your meals are ready, now.?

The children cheered, content with this and abandoning the request for Obi Wan to sing.

The Negotiator raised his eyebrows to Qui Gon in mocking victory.

The dark blue eyes narrowed. Obi Wan looked into them a bit. He was sure he saw something...elusive.

The Battle of Midday Meal was a difficult and trying one.

Qui Gon and Obi Wan worked as a team. Together they parried the onslaught of sticky hands. Qui Gon deflected an entire serving of cut up muja fruit from peppering his padawan.

Jawa juice was spilled.

Obi Wan was caught off guard by an airborne utensil. Unable to deflect it in time, he suffered a slight injury to his right arm. The robes would have normally prevented such injury, but the situation demanded he roll them up.

At last the battle was over.

Both sides had suffered.

The younglings bore the remnants of the meal on their clothing, faces, and hair.
    It was spattered on Jedi robes, the stains of which would be an undeniable reminder of this neonate onslaught.

The Master-Padawan team attended to the ones most affected.
    Some had not make it. Little arms sprawled out on the table before them or beneath their fallen heads, they had fallen asleep in the midst of the battle.
    Recovery efforts began.
    The Jedi were met with some resistance as they wiped the small hands and faces.
    Cries and wails marked the end of the engagement.
    ?I?m tired,? the opposition whimpered in defeat.

One by one the Jedi carried the fallen little warriors to their sleep cots. The younglings had put up a good fight, but in the end, they were the ones being covered.

They dimmed the lights.

Qui Gon and Obi Wan led the few remaining awake to their cots for rest time.

?Is it a little later, yet?? Juina asked Obi Wan, who was tucking her with a blanket.

?What do you mean??

?Keil-Sev said you weren?t singing, and you said ?a little later?,? she said sleepily.

Obi Wan sat beside the sleep cot.
    I will never live this down, he thought, looking over to see if his Master was aware of his situation.

Of course he had, being mindful of the moment. Not that Obi Wan cared. He was too exhausted to think of teasing, lectures and such. Maintaining some dignity, he didn?t sing, but rather began a gentle hum, while patting the youngling to sleep.

Qui Gon would normally take delight in the justice of Obi Wan?s predicament.

But as he looked on his padawan, singing softly to the youngling, he felt only an overwhelming peace.

Obi Wan probably is not even aware that he does it, Qui Gon reflected.

It had really just dawned on the Master himself. He had taken it for granted, really, that aesthetic hum he was so used to hearing.

Yes, he hums that every morning when he makes our tea.

How many times was he gradually and peacefully brought out of sleep by that pe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.