main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Deliver Us From Evil (What if the Jedi regarded Anakin as a savior instead of a menace?) UP 12/13

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Anakins_Force, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005

Title
    : Deliver Us From Evil
    Author: Anakins_Force
    Timeframe: AU Saga
    Characters: Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, Mace, Yoda, Shmi
    Summary: What if the Jedi embraced young Anakin and his unusual talents, regarding
    him as a savior instead of a menace?
    Disclaimer: This is for fun only; the characters belong to Lucas.

*Thank you oqidaun for beta reading.*

Deliver Us From Evil

"And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."
    -Matthew 3:16

Prologue: Savior

"People only see what they are prepared to see."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

As the gray walls of the melting pit twisted and bent, Qui-Gon caught a glimpse of a river. The blue river wound it's way closer, summoning him. It hurt less than he thought, although the pain stretched out, finding nerves he didn't know he had.

Obi-Wan continued his struggle with the Sith. The Council thought they'd sense it if the Sith reemerged, but it was Qui-Gon who wrestled this monster while they sat primly in their Council chairs. Qui-Gon didn't have the strength to speak aloud, "Padawan, be mindful of the living Force." Obi-Wan heard the message and charged forward.

He tried to make peace with the Council's lack of insight today, not wanting to spend his remaining years clenching his teeth and forcing the acid back down his throat. But the Council was shortsighted and Qui-Gon fears for Anakin if the Council does not change.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes. A tall woman stood by the gleaming blue river. "Tahl?" She raised her arm and opened her hand, palm facing up. "I can't come yet. I must wait for my Padawan to flatten this vermin." Tahl smiled and lowered her hand--she understood. Qui-Gon would be with the one he loves again, but leaving Obi-Wan was ripping away his heart.

He waited, trapped between this world and the next until he can speak to Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon does not fear for his Padawan's safety; he will prevail. Obi-Wan slashed the monster Zabrak in half, then raced to his Master's side. As Obi-Wan cradled his head, Qui-Gon wanted to use his last seconds to tell Obi-Wan how much he loves him, but a more important situation remained. A situation Qui-Gon created and his Padawan must resolve. "Promise me you will train the boy."

"Yes Master." Obi-Wan will honor his word--he will devote himself to this vergence in the Force, out of duty. But Qui-Gon worried about Anakin's future--Obi-Wan was a man of integrity, but he was the formulaic model of a Jedi, welcoming the stifled structure the Council peddles. Could Obi-Wan find the strength to defy the Council for Anakin's sake?

Tahl lifted her hand again, beckoning. It was harder for Qui-Gon to breathe. "He will bring balance to the Force. Train him well." Qui-Gon tried to say more, but the words faded on his lips even as they resonated through his soul. "This boy could be your savior."

Tahl smiled again and opened her arms. "Welcome home, Qui-Gon. I've missed you."

Chapter One: Immortal

"Fear not death, for the sooner we die the longer we shall be immortal."
    -Benjamin Franklin

My Master was gone; all that's left are my memories and his lightsaber hanging from my belt. I wanted to be alone, but Anakin trailed my footsteps, wanting to be close. His blatant need frightened and annoyed me. I ached for him--he lost his mother and Qui-Gon so recently, but my own emptiness did not allow me to embrace him yet.

I questioned Anakin about destroying the central transmitter. I chose my words carefully--Anakin was a sponge, absorbing my words, actions, and feelings. I saw the lines on his forehead, crinkled in confusion. He found me formal and unyielding, a stark contrast to the Master taken from him by the Sith. I tried to relax my tone and become friend, not interrogator.

He told me he didn't have any plan in mind for hitting the torpedoes. My Master was right. This boy's connection to the Force

2. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Very Intriguing.

I kinda have always wondered what would happen if the Council fully accepted Anakin as the Chosen One, and therefore give special treatment to him. I doubt that they would spoil him, but at least treat and regard him as an equal.

Also liked Obi-Wan's musings and thoughts. I think you nailed his inner character on the dot. And, though brief, I loved seeing Tahl welcome Qui-Gon to his new life in the...afterlife.

Good job thus far, AF. If you're going to put together a PM list, please add me to it!:D

3. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    This is interesting! :)

Wonder what effect being completely accepted will have on Anakin. Will he become arrogant and spoiled or will be be more willing to become humble because he may not feel the need to prove his worth or that he's better than those who would shun him?

Lots of possibilities...

And Obi-Wan being ashamed that he didn't recognize his master's presence as it was is in character for him. He would take that as a failure and try to reconcile what he feels is his mistake. But Qui knows him inside and out...he probably didn't take it as a slight.

You've got me thinking! :) Great job with this.

4. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    You posted it! YAY!

I love the idea behind this fic and all the possibilities that are opened up because of the way they may treat Anakin. Can't wait to see more!

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What an original and interesting idea! And you've portrayed EVERYONE so well! If you PM when you update, please add me to the list! This is going to be an amazing fic, I can already tell!

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    How intriguing...

I always wondered if things would have been different for Anakin if he had been treated like the chosen one instead of just another padawan.

I enjoyed the beginning of this. If you're doing PM's, I'd love to be on the list as well [face_praying]

Wonderful beginning

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. Hyperion51

Hyperion51 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    Interesting idea. Hope to see more later on.

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    An interesting and intriguing turn of events. If Qui-Gon had been able to do that from the very beginning, the whole saga might have turned out differently.

Put me on your PM list please. I want to follow this!

9. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    Hmmmm.... I like this idea, it has promise. And It is pretty original as far as I know.

How long are you planning to make this story? Will it go all the way through RotS? (Or Beyond?)

Wonderful Job! =D=

10. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    the council will treat anakin with respect ??!!!:eek: im too shocked to say anything else.

i wanna be on your PM list and i need to know when will they know palps real identity,in ROTS timeline maybe ??[face_thinking]

11. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Yay!! [face_dancing] You posted it! And you did it so well!! =D=

Enjoying this immensely, I am.

My Master didn?t even like Yoda. Maybe he was still upset with me for my reaction toward Anakin.

I love this! Obi-Wan knew his master well! And it's so typical of the young Obi-Wan to feel chastised even when he wasn't.

I, too, would like to be on the PM list, please.

12. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Bravo!
    I'm very happy to see this posted.

13. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Very nice start. Will this meen that the Council will be more willing to change the way things are done?

14. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Very intriguing. Many of us have wondered what would happen if Anakin differently by the Order and I wonder what will come of this. Part of me is glad- you would assume that he'd be less inclined to go evil. Yet on the other hand, too much of a good thing can still be too much...

And, by the way, with that quote at the beginning? I've now got the Lord's Prayer going through my head. Thanks. *grins*

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Congrats on getting this started, Melissa!! :D

I see a frown flash on Mace?s face and I know how he feels. Padwan?s are not to be pampered and spoiled. ?We treat all Padawans the same, Master Yoda. If we single Anakin out, he will know he is special. He will grow overconfident and arrogant.?

?Matter not, these things, Master Windu. In Qui-Gon we will trust. A vision of the future, Qui-Gon has seen. If listen we do not, a terrible darkness will descend.?

It's about time somebody listened to Qui-Gon! :cool:

If you do PM's, I'd like one when you update.

16. Anakins_Force

Jun 3, 2005

I sent the next chapter to my beta yesterday.

I have some spare time so I'm going to do replies.

AP4EVER: Thanks for reading. I will PM you. You're right about spoiling--can you see Mace spoiling anyone? lol. Thanks for the compliments on characterization. And I'm glad you liked the Tahl part--I wanted Qui-Gon to struggled with leaving this world--he wanted to be there for Anakin and Obi-Wan, yet how could he not want to join Tahl?

bek: Thanks for reading--the acceptance won't be black and white--and it won't make everything easy--Anakin still has some struggles that he'll deal with. But the acceptance will make his life a lot easier, I hope! And Obi-Wan was ashamed, but you're right--Qui-Gon didn't mind, lol.

Shadowolf: Thanks for reading, and for doing the preview for me!

VaderLVR: Thanks so much, especially about the characterizations--that takes some time for me. I wanted Obi-Wan to be a little unsure of himself at this point. He'll get his confidence later. I'll PM you.

KELIA: Thank you for reading. He was actually treated worse than other Padawans, IMHO, in canon. So hopefully he'll fare better here. I'll PM you.

Hyperion51: Thank you for reading!

dianethx: Thank you so much for reading. I like to think things would have been different if the Council had respected Anakin as a person--he would have had more trust in them as a result and not been as drawn to Palpatine--possibly. I will PM you.

sithrules70: The Council will do their best bc they are going to listen to Yoda, who's listening to Qui-Gon. Thanks for reading--I will PM you. (I can't say about Palpatine's identity, lol).

Souderwan: Thanks for stopping by! Yes, Obi-Wan is a bit on edge--he's only 25 here and he's just been through a lot. I will PM you.

oqidaun: Thank you so much!

jacen200015: Thank you. Yes, the Council is going to be more receptive to Anakin and to hearing what Qui-Gon has to say when he communicates.

Alethia
    : A little bit of understanding can go a long way for a nine year old who has just been freed from slavery. Not that it will cure all problems, not by a long shot, but it could certainly help. Thanks for reading!

Jedi Trace: Thanks Traci! I agree--Qui-Gon knows what he's talking about! I will PM you.

17. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    Very intriguing. I'll be following this for sure!

18. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I look forward to seeing how things turn out.

19. Venus_Star2-com

Venus_Star2-com Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    This will be interesting...PM me when you have updated

rachel

20. Anakins_Force

Jun 3, 2005
    BroodingLion: Thanks for reading--I appreciate it.

kateydidnt: Thank you for reading.

Venus_Star2-com: Thank you--I will PM you.

21. Anakins_Force

Jun 3, 2005
    Chapter Two: A New Life
    "We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today."
    -Stacia Tauscher

On the journey back to Coruscant Anakin and I were both somber. He had not said a word since we left and I knew he was capable of being quite lively. I didn't feel like making the effort to talk, but my Master returned from the dead to warn us--so I did my best to reach out to him. "Are you okay, Anakin? You seem sad."

He looked down and picked at the hem of his tunic. "I didn't want things to change. But my mother said I can't stop change any more than I can stop the suns from setting."

I didn't meet his mother but Qui-Gon spoke highly of her. "She sounds like a wise woman."

He nodded. "I know she was sad--I could feel it. But she tried to pretend she was happy so it would be easier for me. She has to stay there with Watto while I'm free. That's the worst part--knowing I can't help her anymore."

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't imagine having a mother, but I loved Qui-Gon as a father. How would I feel if I had to leave him as someone's property? Some of my impatience with Anakin melted. "Your mother loves you very much. You're lucky to have her."

He looked up at me. "I used to worry about being separated from her. I was afraid Watto would sell her and keep me. It happened to my friend Kitster."

Now that I had brought her up, he wanted to keep talking about her. Should I have explained that he's got to let go of this attachment or was it too soon for that? I wondered what Qui-Gon would have done. He'd say I should wait and let Anakin guide this conversation. I encouraged him to keep talking. "What happened?"

"We were playing behind his hut and an old spacer came to talk to his Master. There was a lot of shouting--Kitster's Master sold his sister Karis to the spacer. Their mom was begging him not to do it. The spacer dragged Karis out the door and her mother was trying to pull her free. Kitster's Master finally hit his mother and knocked her out."

Why hadn't the Republic done something about slavery on these Rim worlds? "That's terrible Anakin. How old was Karis?"

"Oh, she was pretty old. About twelve I think."

I cringed. I could imagine what the spacer had in mind for Karis when he bought her. Anakin's voice was low and I can see he is reliving that day. For all my training, I'd never thought of that aspect of being a slave--the gutting of a family by selling only one of them. It was worse than death.

I imagined myself at nine, a youngling in classes with Master Yoda and Master Drallig, playing in the Temple gardens. What if the Council had sold me, ripping me away from my teachers and friends? What if I had seen Siri or Bant purchased and led away by grown men with foul intentions?

Anakin continued with his story. "Kitster's mother quit doing her work--she just cried everyday. After a few weeks her Master drug her out to the Dune Sea and left her. My mom went looking for her but she was already dead. The carrion birds were eating her."

My gods. This boy had already seen more horrors than many grown Jedi Knights. Having been on many missions, I was not innocent to the harsher side of life, but to live it day in and day out with no reprieve...how did he stand it? I had seen death and battle, but every thread of Anakin's life had been grim.

I thought when I chose a Padawan that I'd have a younger version of myself--raised in the Temple, educated on social problems through lessons and missions, not through personal experience. How am I am going to do this?

"I wish we had found you sooner, Anakin. We could have spared you from seeing things like that."

Anakin's glare pierced me. "I'm glad you didn't. I liked living with my mother."

It didn't seem right to take him from his mother--she was all he has ever known. Of course I would not tell him this. Anakin must learn that Jedi live a life of isolation and non-attachment. He smiled but I could

22. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Should I explain that he?s got to let go of this attachment or is it too soon for that? What would Qui-Gon do? He?d say I should wait and let Anakin guide this conversation.

Listen and pay attention, Obi-Wan. You still have much to learn.

?Not even if I break something??

?Not even then.?

?What if it?s expensive??

Then Obi-Wan thought: Maybe I should warn him about Master Yoda's gimmer stick...nah, he'll learn the hard way like we all have.

?But one thing is simple--I do want you as my Padawan.?

And we're all glad to hear it!:)

?Do not take this opportunity to ostracize this boy. He has grown up in very different circumstances from the rest of you. He does not need your pity or your contempt, but understanding and respect.?

That's Mace for yah. No beating around the bush.

Tru grins. ?I?ll show him around.?

A blonde girl near Tru?s age nods. ?I?ll help too, Master Windu.?

Happy to see that they want to help.

?Collect your Padawan now, Obi-Wan. Late to his own party, he should not be.

...A party? Now this I can't wait to see!:D

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Nicely done. I liked that Mace explained things to the Padawans and other children so that they would not pick on Anakin. The poor kid has had enough trauma. Loved that you had the whole Kister story. Really made being a slave something horrible (which it was) but let Obi-Wan know that Anakin has some terrible memories and fears to overcome.

Looking forward to more.

24. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What a great update. I really liked how Obi-Wan and Anakin were beginning to bond.

I also liked how you touched on the horrors Anakin witnessed growing up...tough as they were to read.

I look forward to more

=D==D= =D= =D=

25. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i love the obi wan/anakin interaction[:D] it kinda looks like older brother/little brother. keep it coming you must[face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.