main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Circle in the Water (Obi/Qui/Xan, very AU) *Updated 02/03/06!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by corellian-jedi, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    Title: A Circle in the Water
    Author: corellian-jedi
    Timeframe: 10 years Pre-TPM (42 BBY)
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Xanatos, OC?s
    Genre: AU, drama, action/adventure
    Summary: Thanks to a meddling outsider, events take a sharp turn around 50 BBY, and the fate of the galaxy is altered forever.
    Notes: Very AU. I'm rewriting the bits I have posted on ff.n so many aspects of the story have changed. Eventually I'll replace the ff.n version with this updated one. Thanks, LadyMacBeth, who prodded me into posting this at the JC Forums and happily proofread this chapter. I'm very tentative about posting fics in English as it is not my mother language. Hopefully I don't make too many errors.

The prologue takes place about a year before Telos ... of course in this AU, Telos isn't going to happen thanks to our meddling minx (surpise, Yoda's not the one doing (most of) the meddling this time!).

I keep a PM list for updates. Please tell me via PM or a post on this thread if you wish to add your name or remove it from the list. (Scroll down to see the list.)

Prologue: A Failed Mission

As days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite black through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings it forth from the center of its own self.

With each victory of the light, it is the dark that wins.

~Matthew Stover, Revenge of the Sith

Xanatos stared despondently at the transport ship, which was in its final steps of preparation before takeoff. The deep sense of personal failure returned in full force. No matter how hard his logical side tried to coax him into accepting the mission?s failure, Xanatos could not bring himself to squash the last spark of hope that perhaps something could be salvaged from this disaster.

?Padawan.? The soft voice shook him gently from his misery.

Xanatos turned to face his Master. The careworn face that often brought him comfort and a sense of security could not erase his current despair.

?Master,? he began in a rush, ?there must be something we can do to help the situation. We can?t leave now! We should stay and find the killer. My f? he cannot be allowed to escape and roam society freely.?

Qui-Gon shot his Padawan a sympathetic, but uncompromising look.

?Xanatos, I understand you blame yourself, and you grieve for the Senator but??

?No.? He glared mutinously at Qui-Gon. ?You don?t understand at all! How could a Jedi be so heartless about a situation like this? The Senator was murdered. Justice must be done.?

?Be mindful of your thoughts, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said warningly. ?They betray you. Do not allow your emotions rule your actions. Remember that Jedi are peacekeepers, not persecutors.?

Xanatos opened his mouth, and closed it wordlessly. He stared at the ground, no longer feeling the will to argue. Qui-Gon was right; he was always right. The thought brought a new wave of bitterness.

A warm hand grasped his shoulder, and he looked up to face the older Jedi.

He took a shaky breath. ?You?re right, Master. I ? I apologize for my impulsiveness.?

Qui-Gon?s eyes were kind as he searched his Padawan?s face.

?I am sorry,? he said quietly. ?The Senator was a good friend, and I mourn for his passing.?

?I failed him.? Xanatos? voice was almost inaudible. ?I let old sentiments get in the way of my duty. It?s not the Jedi way.?

Qui-Gon did not remove his hand from Xanatos? shoulder. ?Listen to me, Padawan,? he ordered, not unkindly. ?We both made mistakes, and a few errors made all the difference. However, I promise you, we will get through this together.?

?The Council??

?The Council will be fair.? There was a slight pause. He continued, ?And I?ll be with you.?

For a moment, the internal struggle seemed to diminish. Xanatos breathed again. His Master wanted to reassure him, and he appreciated

2. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    Hmmmmmm... intresting. Nice start.:)

Edit: Ha! First one!

3. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    Excellent start, indeed
    Very interesting...keep me posted

4. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    You've caught my attention! :D

I can't wait to see where you take this. :)

If you are keeping a PM list, please put me on it.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Very interesting concept! And a wonderful start to what will prove to be an amazing fic, I'm sure! =D=

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    This is an interesting start

7. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Aha! Ahaha! I was hoping I'd be able to read this here too - a beautiful piece of work. Loved the beginning, with all the intricate play of emotions. Lady Kenobi's measured words, yet the underlying sorrow...great work!

Post more!!

8. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Curious beginning and I'm hooked. More soon!

9. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Yay! You put this up here! I'm so glad. Great beginning and, needless to say, I'm looking forward to more soon! By the way, can you PM to say when you update- I'd hate to miss the new&improved version of such a great story :D

10. LadyMacBeth

LadyMacBeth Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    At last, corellian-jedi! I knew I'd eventually get you to post it here.[face_devil] It was my pleasure to edit.

I love this fleshed out, new and improved prologue. =D= Your Lady Kenobi is an intriguing character, and I hope we see her around. She saved Xan! (In so many words....)

There is one thing I keep wondering about, this sentence: Did they not see that they have just destroyed his greatest enemy in the Galactic Senate?

I was going to dismiss the Senator as an insignificant casualty - a throwaway plot device....but if Palpy is rejoicing over his death, I'm reconsidering his importance. Ah blast it, we don't even know his name. Senator Jacen....? Evil author![face_shame_on_you]

The entire 3rd section was excellent, especially when Palps was contemplating how Lady Kenobi would fit into his schemes.

For now, the shadow waits for Obi-Wan Kenobi to grow up.

:eek:[face_worried]=D= More soon!

Please add me to your PM list if you're keeping one for this story.

11. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    [face_love] Thanks everyone!

And now... REPLIES:

LadyMacBeth - Yes, Lady Kenobi saved Xan ... but at what price? I'm really impressed you picked up on the "greatest enemy" line. I really shouldn't be revealing anything, but I'll just say that there is a reason why I'm concealing facts about Senator Jacen <-blank-> (esp. his name). Acck! That's it ... I should learn to shut up.[face_blush]

Palps won't be getting a big part in this story, but he'll pop in from the sidelines every now and then. More than anything, this is a Kenobi story.

Thanks so much, for reading and commenting! [face_dancing]

Stella_Ripple - Oooh! Yup, I decided ACITW needed improvements so I started rewriting the parts I already have written. I hope you continue to follow this fic. Thanks! [face_love]

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi - Thanks, I'm glad you liked the beginning. I was scratching my head on what to write. Thank you for the review!

Princess_Arulmozhi - [face_dancing] From one of my favourite authors! Thanks - I'm delighted that you like "Circle" so far. It took quite a while to get off my butt and post it on these boards.:D

Lady Kenobi's measured words, yet the underlying sorrow...

She's a strange one. Originally, Lady Kenobi wasn't supposed to make an appearance until the 6th chapter.

Ahem! You will update your fics. *waves hand*

PadawanKitara - Thank you very much! [:D]

VaderLVR64 - Thanks, Vader, but you are truly the Queen of interesting concepts. I don't think I've ever seen anyone write evil Obi-Wan as convincingly as you do (To Serve my Master + sequel). =D= Your fics are always a delight! Once again, thanks for reading and commenting. :D

bek - Caught your attention, have I? *Jumps in delight* *Beams* Thank you, thank you.[face_blush]

TRADMIC - Danke! Thanks for reading. I hope to update soon. *Sigh* But there's always Darth Real Life...

LilQui-Gon - A huge hug to my first reviewer: [:D] Thanks, LilQui-Gon! It means a lot.

12. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    Please tell me via PM or a post on this thread if you wish to add your name or remove it from the list.

PM LIST FOR UPDATES:

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi
    bek
    dianethx
    Fat_Bird
    Fluff-Slayer
    Gkilkenny
    LadyMacBeth
    LilQui-Gon
    PadawanKitara
    Stella_Ripple

(02/03/06)

I've added those who have specifically requested for PM updates. It shall be my pleasure.

Thanks,
    c-j

13. LilQui-Gon

Jul 29, 2004
    Hey! Count me in on your PM list! :D

14. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    It's done, LilQui-Gon!

15. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Add me to that as well!

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
  17. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Intriguing start! I liked this view of Xan and Qui-Gon. And very good to know that this time, Xanatos denied the darkness.

Nope, Palpy, you're wrong, wrong, wrong! The darkness will never win! :D It can only abide for a night, and is vanquished with the sunrise, again and again.

18. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    Arwen-Jade_Kenobi and PadawanKitara, I've added both of you to the PM list.

maychorian - Palpy's greatest fault is believing that the dark side is infalliable. Silly guy ... he could not understand Luke's unconditional love for his father. Tsk, tsk! I'm glad you like Qui and Xan (yay for not turning to the dark side!). :D Thanks.

19. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    Notes: Thoughts are in italic.

Chapter 1: Of Banter and Bitterness

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."

~Abraham Lincoln

?Was it hard??

?Was
    what hard??

?Taking her child away,? insisted Xanatos. ?Did you feel badly about it??

Mace kept walking. ?I do not feel badly about doing my duty for the Order.?

?You ? took the child, then?? Xanatos asked stiffly.

?Actually, I didn?t,? said Mace. ?That is someone else?s responsibility. I simply gave her notice about the situation.?

?So in other words, you told her she was never going to see one of her sons again?? persisted Xanatos.

Mace shot his fellow Padawan a look. ?What is it to you?? He folded his arms. ?No, I didn?t tell her that.?

?Softening the blow, but ultimately, lying.?

?I followed my Master?s orders,? said Mace in a hardened tone. ?If Master Yoda believes that she will see him again, she will.?

Xanatos made a disgusted noise. ?Isn?t that ironic, Mace? We Jedi proclaim that we fight for equality in the galaxy. However, it is clear that we give certain parents priorities over others. The Kenobi family must be pleased, knowing they have enough power to influence the protocol of the Jedi Order.?

?What?s that supposed to mean?? challenged Mace. ?Do you honestly believe this has anything to do with the Kenobi family?s wealth or fame?? He glared at his friend. ?If I?m not mistaken, you?re the one they call the Jedi Prince of??

?Telos,? said Xanatos. ?Where they have little influence over the Temple?not even enough to ask for a visit. In contrast, the Kenobis are being treated like Coruscanti royalty.?

Mace shut his eyes. ?Not again, Xan. We?re not going through this again.?

The Vipraxay Salle was a favourite to many students. The dueling chamber had a high domed ceiling, which along with its other architectural qualities, was a tribute to the ancient Jedi that protected the galaxy many thousand years before the Battle of Ruusan. All of this meant little to its present day visitors, most of whom admired the salle for its grandeur and spaciousness.

Currently, the chamber was filled with a class of lightsaber-wielding Padawans. It could be said that a Jedi Padawan is more mature than the average student, but that did not mean that they were devoid of typical adolescent behaviour, including the love of ?testing? new instructors. If the instructor lasted more than a week with no more than a bruised ego, they have successfully earned the begrudging respect of the students.

The latest one has already accomplished this. She was in her second week, and appeared to have her resolve entirely in tact.

?At least she?s coherent,? muttered Bant Eerin. ?Certainly an improvement from all the stuttering we?re so used to hearing.?

Garen snorted. ?Anyone would be an improvement compared to that rotten, flat-faced??

?Are you sure you want to finish that sentence, Muln??

The first two groaned in unison. ?Tachi??

?Siri??

The girl flipped her blonde hair out of her eyes. ?You?re exaggerating. Come on, Master Rapoo??

??smelled like poodoo,? finished Garen.

Bant giggled, and the corners of Siri?s mouth turned.

?You really shouldn?t,? she began in protest. ?It?s??

?The truth?? suggested Garen. ?His class was the first one I attended when I returned. It made me want to make a mad dash back to Centax-2. I don?t care if the squad leader spits when he talks. I can actually make out what he?s saying, as opposed to Master Poodoo?excuse me, Master Rapoo?s stammering.?

Siri rolled her eyes. ?Get over it. I don?t see Obi-Wan complaining.?

?He is rather busy,? Bant pointed out, nodding at the sparring pair in the center of the salle.

Two lightsabers danced in the air. Obi-Wan Kenobi maneuvered his opponent around the floor using a complicated array of blade strokes and acrobatics. The last Force-assisted leap nea

20. LilQui-Gon

Jul 29, 2004
    Yay an update! Nice chapter, I wish Mace would have stranggled Xanatos. :mad: More soon! ;)

21. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Thanks for the PM

so Melida/Daan happened in this AU?

22. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Great stuff! I liked the little Xan, Mace interaction (by the way, are they contempories in this fic, just curious, since they seem quite informal around each other)
    And thank you for the PM!

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    A really cool idea. I liked how you've set it up and I'd never imagine that English isn't your first language.

I like how you've incorporated the timeline with Xan and Mace being contemporaries. I didn't realize it until recently myself. Good going with that.

I'm certainly intrigued as to where you are going with this.

If you are doing PMs, please include me on your list.

24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Well done! I'd leave a longer note, but I'm in a rush. Can't wait for more!!

25. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Very cool. So many different threads are being woven together, all intriguing and interesting. I'm curious about what's going on with this Sarran and his Padawan--guy gives me the creeps. and I feel sorry for Rai. I hope nothing sinister is going on there. I like the way you write Obi-Wan--very talented, but humble and unassuming, and well in control of himself. I also wonder why he chooses to train in a class that makes him hold back.

I look forward to seeing how you write Qui-Gon in this AU. Keep it up! I can't wait for more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.