main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends This Old House. A spooky J.A. with multiple endings. O-W & Q-G . Ending #3 Part 4 Feb. 15 (finished)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jodiwent, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    This Old House. A Halloween story.

I know it's a little bit early, and I have other stories to post on, but the bunny bit me so I had to write.

I am planning for this story to have multiple/alternate endings.

Enjoy
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

This Old House, a Halloween story

Master Jinn and Padawan Keonbi had been on Parasus IV for a few days. Qui-Gon had called it a ?training? mission, but Obi-Wan knew it was just an excuse for his Master to do some autumn camping; not so much camping as hiking. Qui-Gon loved hiking in the crisp cool air of planets? during their autumnal seasons.

?This is perfect,? Qui-Gon spoke aloud, more to himself than Obi-Wan. He was so admireous of the forest that he didn?t notice the branch that swung back towards his apprentice?s face; Or did he?

Obi-Wan was aware of the impending smack of pine needles heading his way and deftly shifted out of its path.

?Yhea perfect - -? Kenobi said under his breath. To the young Jedi this was about as exciting as watching paint dry. Every once in a while the monotony of trees and rocks was broken up by the dismantling of hunters? traps.

?Don?t you think they will be angry?? Obi-Wan questioned when they sprang the first one.

?Of course they will,? Qui-Gon replied with an almost wicked glint in his eye.

?You?ve often told me that hunters need to eat as well.?

?Yes, those who hunt to eat, I have no problem with,? the Master Jedi expressed. ?Those who kill other creatures because they can, or those who find pleasure in it - - I don?t mind angering.?

On this, the third day of their hiking, they had not run into any traps; they had seen no blaster wielding drunken hunters they would have to hide from either. That was no surprise. They were now deep in the forest where day hunters would not have ventured. What did surprise both of them was the apparent absents of animals and birds. The two days before there was not an hour when some critter had not crossed their path. The trees had been full of squawking animals and birds as well.

This morning Obi-Wan had not moaned that he could no longer sleep because of the pre dawn noise, in fact he had slept well past sunrise. Only the smell of breakfast cooking woke him up.

?Oh, that smells good,? the young man said as he shuffled towards the aroma. He hadn?t even bothered to unwrap himself from his sleep sack. ?F-O-O-D, G-O-O-D - - ?

Qui-Gon smiled before teasing, ?Isn?t it nice to have a Master who rises early to prepare you breakfast?? He handed his apprentice a large thermos mug of tea.

?Yes, it is nice,? Obi-Wan said, wrapping both hands around the container. He took a big swig of the warm sweat drink. ?Very nice.?

Qui-Gon was fixing two plates of eggs, smoked meat, and fried bread that he had made that morning. Obi-Wan took no time at all to scarf down the feast. ?No Yoda special today?? Obi-Wan?s question referred to the mush they had eaten the last two mornings. ?Does that mean we?re going to head back today??

?That is very astute of you Padawan,? Qui-Gon answered. ?We?ll be going back today, but only after we explore a little bit further.?

Obi-Wan would have liked to have started back as soon as they finished eating, but he was content in knowing they?d be turning around that afternoon. He even offered to clean up the cooking gear so his Master could get an earlier start on that exploring. ?I?ll catch up shortly.?

Most of the camp was already packed, so Qui-Gon took his share ahead knowing Obi-Wan was all right on his own. After all, he wasn?t a kid anymore. True to his word, Kenobi had caught up with Jinn only a couple of hours later.

?This place is odd Master,? Obi said on meeting up with Qui. ?It should be crawling with life forms, yet - -?

?I know,? Qui-Gon said. ?There is no lack of plant life.?

?I sense no problem with the air, or water,? Obi-Wan added as he reached out into the Force.

?Nor do I.?

?Yet - -?

?No animals.?

The two Jedi continued their hike for a few more hours. It was past

2. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    This is a Halloween story, huh? So, is the house haunted or something? [face_thinking] Sounds interesting.

Your story is off to a good start, for sure! :D

Those purists seem interesting, but they're also making me suspicious. People like that always end up freaking out and doing bad things... [face_worried] Obi and Qui had better be careful, I think.

And I wonder why there's no animals around the purists' house, since they don't eat meat. Hmm... :confused:

I'm looking forward to more of this, jodiwent!

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Very interesting What are Bels and Zac up to?

I will be reading;)

4. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Definitely intreguing (I still can't spell that word!). It doesn't sound like a healthy place to live. Can't wait to see where you go with this!

Just Jill

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very intriguing start...

I'll be interested to see where this goes

=D==D=

6. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Sorry it took a week, yikes! But here's the next post.

Bastet, 'Is the house haunted?'-- now that would be telling [face_devil]

Just_Jill, you have no idea how unhealthy.[face_skull]

Gkilkenny & KELIA Thanks for reading[face_pumpkin][face_pumpkin]
    -------------------------------------------

Another strange thing happened as the evening wore down. When it came time to find a place for the Jedi to sleep, a slight disagreement arose between Cici and Figs. The Jedi had followed them up to the second floor when Figs innocently asked the guests to follow him. The Jedi started to go in the direction Figs was going, but Cici stopped them.

?No the Jedi belong on the east wing,? she said as she tugged on Qui-Gon?s arm. ?You to youngin?.?

For some reason Obi-Wan asked, ?Does it make that much of a difference?? He didn?t know why, but something almost made him want to go to Figs? side of the house.

?You?re not ready for the west wing yet, pup,? the old woman said.

Obi-Wan shrugged and followed. Nothing was explained, so Obi-Wan made the assumption that the east wing must have been for novices, but he didn?t understand why the oldest of the community would be in charge of the novice side of the house. Cici stopped at an alcove and lit two more candles set in holders for the guests. They then were shown where the rooms were.

?This side is the women folk - - ? Cici indicated one side of the hall. ? - - and th?other is the men folk?s. You?ll find two empty rooms at the end.? She went to her own room, letting the Jedi find their own way.

?Well let?s see what our accommodations are like,? Qui-Gon said. They went to the end of the hall and he opened the last door of he men?s side. The room was small. The bed was small. The windows were small. This did not seem to bother the Master. ?Rather Cozy.?

Obi-Wan almost didn?t hear his Master?s comment, because he was flicking a piece of cob webbing off of his fingers. ? - - Yhea cozy.? He didn?t want to chatter this night. He wanted to get some sleep. ?Good night Master.? The apprentice went to check out the next room over. As he was opening his door, the next door opened.

?Oh hello.? It was the man who had hurt his tooth earlier. ?I thought I heard something.?

?Just us, Brother - - Tod was it??

Tod nodded.

Obi-Wan politely inquired, ?How?s that tooth of yours??

Tod looked pale again, but he told Obi-Wan, ?Sister Cici gave me something for it. She?ll look at it again tomorrow.? He quickly changed the subject. ?I?m glad you?re staying on Sister Cici?s side of the house.? With that, the man popped back into his own room.

That suited Obi-Wan. All he wanted to do was go to sleep. He placed the candle on the wide headboard of the bed. He could see a thick layer of dust covering the wood. On closer examination, the dust was on the coverlet as well. ?Guess they weren?t expecting company,? Kenobi thought. A quick flip of that cover, off of the bed, reviled that the bedding underneath had no dust. He blew the dust off of a night table so he could lay his clothes someplace somewhat clean. Then he climbed into the only place that wasn?t coated with powdery substance. For a few minutes Obi-Wan pondered if he would sleep better seeing or not seeing the condition of the room. He decided on not seeing, and put the candle out.

Kenobi?s first hour of sleep was a peaceful one. Sometime during his second one, things woke him up. First there was the tap-tap-tap. Then there was the scrape-scrape-scrape. Lastly there was the thump-thump-thump. All of these sounds seemed to be coming from the tiny window. A few years ago all of these things together might have even frightened him, but now Obi-Wan found them annoying.

Tap-scrape-thump. ?Enough of this - - ? Obi-Wan hopped up and crossed the gritty floor to reach the window. He wanted to see the source of the annoyance. It was a tree; one of whose branches was being knocked against the window by a slight but constant breeze. A snap of the end of that branch solved

7. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Great update! Thanks jodiwent! :D

First there was the tap-tap-tap. Then there was the scrape-scrape-scrape. Lastly there was the thump-thump-thump. [face_laugh] What a horribly dusty room though, yuck!

That was funny how Obi clobbered that night-wing, and then Qui found it and took care of it, kind of illustrating the differences between them. But at least Obi had laid it on the ledge instead of chucking it out the window. ;)

Ouch, I feel bad for Brother Tod, that must have hurt! :(

And uh oh, Obi is having a bad feeling. This can't be good...

Can't wait for more! :D

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I feel like they just walked into the middle of an X-files episode. I can't wait for more

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I love Halloween and I love this story! X-files is about right? ;)

Looking forward to more! :D

10. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    This is getting a bit creepy

Poor brother Tod had his tooth just yanked out!!! :eek: :eek: Not being a fan of the dentist myself, I found myself squirming through that entire section...

Great update,

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Should I let you eat? Or should I just knock you on the head with my saber??

Obi-Wan hated when Qui-Gon got into a mood like this. ?Master, don?t be so melodramatic.?

Qui-Gon didn?t say anything else. Obi-Wan was left alone to put his boots on. He was thinking his Master was crazy if he thought willingly letting a night-wing bite him was a better solution than the action he had taken. Maybe it wasn?t the most Jedi of moments, but he didn?t think Qui-Gon?s was either. There had to be some limits to compassion, or everyone and everything would suck the life out of one.

Unlike supper, breakfast was simple and quickly eaten. When Obi-Wan saw what looked a lot like Yoda?s gruel in the bowls, he almost wanted that knock on the head.

[face_sick] Me, too! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I love Obi/Qui stories, and this is quite an interesting one! [face_dancing]

?It?s this place. I don?t like it. I want to know when we are going to leave.?

?I can?t answer that question Padawan,? Qui-Gon said, giving no comfort. ?Maybe you should have a more open mind, and give it a chance before you pass judgment.?

Obi-Wan didn?t like Qui-Gon?s answer. Still he told his Master, ?I will - - try.?

I don't like Qui-Gon's answer, either... [face_worried] And I have a feeling that he is not quite himself, anymore! :D

When you can. more, please! [face_batting]

12. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Obi-wan knows something is not right!

Obi-Wan flipped out in alarm. ?You LET it bite you!?

Oooh Qui-Gon a vampire, a halloween vampire[face_laugh]

I dont blame Obi one bit it is creepy in that house.[face_pumpkin]

13. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Sorry this is taking longer to post than I thought, but I plan to have it all done by Haolloween.

Bastet, PadawanKitara, VaderLVR64,KELIA,Star_Drifter, & GKilkenny Thanks for reading and replying. I am glad I am creeping you guys out. Pumpkins and skulls all around.[face_pumpkin] [face_skull] [face_pumpkin] [face_skull] [face_pumpkin] [face_skull] I wish they had a bat smily face.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A second day was spent tending to the fields. The fields were extensive. One part of the farm was being harvested while another part was being ploughed and sewn. As the community had no animals, the small plough was pulled by two of the brothers while Brother Figs directed the blade. Obi-Wan found that the night-wing was not the only animal he had found since they were there.

* Smack. *

?Another needle biter, Jedi Obi-Wan?? It was Figs who asked.

?Yes,? Obi-Wan answered as he swatted more insects.

?They seem to like you.? The man almost sounded happy about that fact. Figs took a small bottle out of his pocket and tossed it towards the Jedi. ?Try this.?

Obi-Wan caught the container. It was filled with some kind of sticky oil.

?Just a little; around your neck, wrists, and ankles,? Figs advised.

As soon as Obi-Wan applied the liquid the bugs that had been plaguing him all morning disappeared.

?You could make a lot of credits selling this stuff,? Obi-Wan said, handing back the bottle. ?What?s in it??

?That?s a secret,? Figs said putting it back in his pocket.

?A secret,? Obi-Wan thought. ?Why doesn?t that surprise me.?? He smiled nervously. This place was more than bothering him. Something else that was bothering him was that he hadn?t seen Qui-Gon that whole day. What ?special job? of Cici?s could keep the Jedi Master busy the entire day?

They had a water break but no lunch break. Kenobi?s stomach had been growling for a while. He was glad no one else could hear it. What everyone could hear was Figs shouting out the closest thing one would her to a curse in the community. ?Blast,? Figs let slip. Just before that there had been the sound of metal scraping against a rock and a snapping sound. ?Ahh, it?s busted.? Figs examined the two pieces of the small plough in his hands. ?Brother Zac,? he called out.

Brother Zac stopped what he was doing and turned his attention to Figs. ?Yes Brother Figs.?

?You and - - Jedi Obi-Wan, bring this back to the barn and fetch another.? Zac nodded and motioned for Obi-Wan to follow.

Figs unhitched the blade from the plough. ?You two take these - - ? Figs held up the two halves of the broken blade. ? - - And give your tools to us. We may as well make ourselves useful while you are gone.?

The two young men handed over their farm tools. They took the broken metal and headed back towards the buildings. Obi-Wan didn?t know why Figs had chosen him to go back, but he was glad for the break in the monotony. He was hoping to see Qui-Gon so he could gage if his master was any closer to wanting to leave. Before going to get the new blade, Zac showed Obi-Wan a place where other broken bits of things were placed for repair or recycling.

?We don?t waste things here,? Zac explained. ?The working ones are in the barn.?

Obi-Wan remembered seeing the door to the barn, so he went ahead. As he rounded the barn, he saw that one side of the door was open. Inside he could see a familiar form bent over a revolving stone. In his excitement Obi-Wan ran in to see Qui-Gon. He pushed open the other side of the door. On running in, Kenobi found himself in a precarious position.

Zac called out a warning, ?Jedi Obi-Wan stop!?

This made Obi-Wan stop just a hairs width from running his face into a blade. Not just one blade, but many. Shinny blades of all sizes. Hanging from the barn?s lowest beams were hoes, sickles, seethes, axes - - and a few small plough blades. Obi-Wan?s heart nearly leapt out of his chest as he looked at what he had almost ran into. The han

14. Star_Drifter

Jul 18, 2005
    I don?t want your kind of help.?

?What?s that supposed to mean??

?Your help got Tod sent to the infirmary. He?ll never be the same. If he returns.?

?Why wouldn?t he return??

[face_worried] If he returns?

Just what goes on in that infirmary, or is that the secret of all of that good food? [face_skull]

This is really creepy, but fun! :D

More, please! [face_batting]

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  16. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Ooh, very interesting story so far. I'm intrigued and can't wait for more. I don't know why but this story kinda reminds me of LOST in a way.

17. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    I'm loving this it's so creepy [face_skull] Where are Mulder and Scully when you need them!
    More please!
    Could you pm me when you update?

Thank you...[face_pumpkin]

18. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Oooh, creepy. :D [face_skull] Great update!

I hope Zac was exagerrating about what would happen to Tod, 'cause that didn't sound good at all! If he returns. [face_worried]

And now Zac is jealous of Obi. *sigh* :rolleyes: I've got a bad feeling about that...

And Qui has gone all wierd. I wonder what he's up to? :confused:

More soon, please! [face_batting]

19. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Star_Drifter the secret of all that good food - - You might be on to something, [face_shhh] depends on the ending. This story has multiple endings, incresing in their creepiness. [face_skull]

PadawanKitara [face_pumpkin] ;)

LilyHobitJedithanks for reading, enjoy the creepyness.[face_devil]

Kestrel_Kenobi An update is sooner than expected. [face_whistling] wistling the x-files theme. One of my all time favs.]-}

Bastet wierd, I was updating while you were posting [face_skull]

------------------------------------

The words of Brother Zac ran through Obi-Wan?s mind for a moment. ?Stop asking questions, and go back to your room.?

This ruffled Obi?s feathers. He was a Jedi; it was his job to ask questions. He did not belong to the community, and he certainly wasn?t a child who had to stay in his room. Obi-Wan wanted to talk to Qui-Gon, so that was what he was going to do. What he wasn?t going to do was make it obvious. Out went the candle that Tod had lent him, it was put away into a pocket in his cloak. Kenobi tread carefully back down the stairs, through the kitchen, and outside.

Using his Jedi perception, he made his way down the rocky path, in the dark. A glow could be seen through the spaces in the barn door. Qui-Gon must still be in there. Obi-Wan quietly opened the door taking care not to enter on the side where the blades hung. The Jedi apprentice took a defiant stance; hands on hips; feet planted firmly on the ground. He looked around only seeing the lantern set on the ground next to the sharpening stone. For some reason Kenobi had expected to see his master sitting there, but Jinn was nowhere to be seen.

?Qui-Gon,? Obi called, ?Master, are you in here??

Qui-Gon?s voice came from the barn?s loft, ?Up here Padawan.?

?I need to talk to you.?

?Not now Padawan.?

?Why not now?? The apprentice sounded annoyed.

?I?m busy.?

?Busy?? For a few moments Obi-Wan stood there confused by Qui-Gon?s behavior. ?Up in a barn loft with no lights, what could you be busy at??

?Padawan, I said I was busy. Stop questioning me.?

Qui-Gon?s stern voice did not deter Obi-Wan. He was almost a knight; he wasn?t going to be spoken to like an initiate. There was not supposed to be secrets between Jedi Masters and Apprentices. Obi-Wan took up the lantern and began to climb the ladder to the loft.

?Padawan, don?t you dare bring that light up here,? was what Qui-Gon said. What Obi-Wan heard was, ?Don?t you dare come up here.?

This only intensified the young man?s determination to reach the top. It was not Kenobi?s nature to be defiant to an older Jedi, but his master had been acting so odd the last few days, Obi-Wan felt like he had to disobey.

?Obi-Wan Kenobi,? Qui-Gon had used his whole name, this could not be good. ?When will you listen to what I tell you?? Qui-Gon could be hard at times, but he had never been a harsh master. ?Put that lantern out or I?ll knock you down those steps myself.?

Now the apprentice knew there was something seriously wrong. He leapt up to the loft and illuminated the area. ?Why don?t you want any light Master?? Kenobi asked. ?Up to something you wouldn?t want the council to know about?? Obi-Wan himself couldn?t believe how brazen he spoke to Qui-Gon.

Despite all of his suspicions, all Obi-Wan saw was Qui-Gon; no blade in hand; no crazed look on his face; only Qui-Gon standing there.

?Just what did you think I was up to?? Qui-Gon reached for the lantern. Obi-Wan swung it out of reach. ?Obi-Wan put it out before it is too late.?

?Too late for what Master? You are hiding something.?

?I am not hiding anything.? Qui-Gon tried to grab the lantern again. Obi-Wan evaded his master again. ?If you don?t put out that light, I can not be held responsible for what happens,? Qui-Gon said in a calm voice.

A frantic Obi-Wan shot back, ?now you?re threatening me Master.?

?No only warning you. They will not be happy.?

?They won?t be happy? Who Master? The

20. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Bastet wierd, I was updating while you were posting I wish I could manage to do that more often. I only had to wait 20 minutes for an update. :D [face_dancing]

Okay, so we sort of know what Qui is up to, but not really.

Despite all of his suspicions, all Obi-Wan saw was Qui-Gon; no blade in hand; no crazed look on his face; only Qui-Gon standing there. That's what I had been afraid of too. [face_devil]

But what is Qui doing with those nightwings? That's just wierd. Maybe he's under a vampire spell now, or something. Hmmm... [face_thinking]

I hope Obi can figure a way to get them out of that place soon! Before he's next! [face_worried]

Thanks for updating so quickly! ;) :D

21. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Ummm Trick or Treat Halloween is supposed to be
    But so far Obi-wan hasn't seen anything but TRICK.
    and weird happenings, is he the only sane one there.
    Has his Master turned into a vampire lover watching the nightwings in the loft Mmmmm strange[face_pumpkin]

22. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Wow...that was weird...but good I can't wait for more.

23. Star_Drifter

Jul 18, 2005
    ?Padawan, don?t you dare bring that light up here,? was what Qui-Gon said. What Obi-Wan heard was, ?Don?t you dare come up here.?

This only intensified the young man?s determination to reach the top. It was not Kenobi?s nature to be defiant to an older Jedi, but his master had been acting so odd the last few days, Obi-Wan felt like he had to disobey.

[face_thinking] Hmmmm... Qui-Gon said one thing, and Obi-Wan heard something else! Most interesting! :D

Okay, I'll keep quiet about the "food for thought"! [face_laugh]

This is fun, can't wait for more! [face_dancing]

24. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Loved the updates.

What is up with the infirmary, though? [face_thinking]

Great job!

=D==D= =D=

25. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Thanks for the pm...that was good. I have to confess I've no idea what's going on but can't wait to find out. More soon please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.