main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Learner - (JA, Q/O, AU) - *Part 6 updated* - *04/12/2006*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Title: The Learner
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Timeframe: JA, AU. I've switched around the timing of certain events.
    Characters: Obi, Qui. Obi's 12.
    Genre: Angst
    Summary: Obi-Wan's future is decided.
    Notes: Originally written for the 'Ghostie' Qui-Gon challenge, but it took me unawares, as usual. The title's a nod to LE's fic titled, 'The Master.'
    Note 2: The first two paragraphs are from JA #1: The Rising Force.

"Miss you, I will," Bant said, echoing Yoda's strange way of talking. She blinked back tears.

"So sorry, I am," Obi-Wan answered. He tried to smile, but could not. In answer, Bant hugged him swiftly, then hurried away to hide her tears.

Former Initiate, and soon-to-be Agri-Corps Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi pressed a tiny, red button - worn smooth by Force knew how many other initiates before him - in the control panel to his quarters. The door swished shut.

He walked back to the middle of his room. In a few hours, it would be his no longer. The sparse shelves would hold another's belongings. The cot would be smoothened out to welcome another, perhaps more deserving initiate. His Verpine fighters would perhaps be given to another too.

For he could not take them with him to Bandomeer. He could hardly bear Docent Vant's news. It would be worse if he had to look at his fighter models, and be reminded of what had been denied to him forever.

His legs seemed to give way and he sat down abruptly on the bed. Was he truly so incapable? Wasn't he Jedi enough to be trained? Would his anger really assume such enormous proportions, enough to destroy him, and all those around him?

As it had destroyed Xanatos. The Telosian had been the first in many centuries to fall to the Dark. Flinging away years of training, discipline, and finally the very Light that had nourished him, to the winds of darkness.

He had died, finally, at the hands of his own Master - the Master who had trained him. Who had led him through his first, stumbling steps of Jedihood. Who had hoped, with all heart that he would be his legacy. Who had considered his student - Obi-Wan might have been young, but he had heard snippets of the famed Master-padawan pair who were supposedly unbeatable, and who shared a bond that was the strongest seen so far - his son, almost. A concession not easily granted to many padawan learners. A Master who had faced the ultimate treachery all Jedi shuddered to face, despite their rigid training, and stern exteriors.

The Master who had finally offered the ultimate sacrifice for all the murders committed, all the lives destroyed by his padawan.

Obi-Wan remembered listening to these accounts with awe, as he had gone about his training sessions. Whispers, low murmurs. It hadn't happened all that long ago - barely weeks. The Temple was till reeling from the news, and many Masters and Knights who had known the Team had spent days in sorrow. The sorrow of having lost fellow Jedi. Not even in duty, but to darkness.

The sorrow of lingering darkness. The sorrow felt by Qui-Gon Jinn, as he cleaved the body of his former apprentice in two, amidst the acid pools of Telos. And then had finally atoned for his student's betrayal - a betrayal he had perceived as his own.

Forgive me, he was supposed to have whispered. Forgive me for the darkness fallen. Forgive me for what my padawan did. It was not his fault, but mine. Force forgive me.

And then he had driven his emerald sabre into himself.

The echoes of death had slammed into the wisest and most powerful of Jedi masters, as his life Force had flashed into brilliance, and then washed away into the Force. Tortured. Agony rippling through both mind and body.

Qui-Gon Jinn's end rocked the very foundations of the Order. It was said that Master Windu had almost collapsed under the onslaught of light and dark energy - it was only his own inherently powerful Force sense, and his ability to channel it elsewhere that had saved him f

2. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    Oooooo:eek:
    Awwwwwwwwe:eek:
    I'm just bubbling over with anticipation. This is a wonderful start to what I know will be another work of art.
    Poor Obi, angst, angst but we love him for his emotional torment, it makes my world go 'round at least.:D
    And Qui-Gon....*gasp* hath he returned?
    Waiting very impatiently.:D

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    What a really cool idea!!!! :eek:

Loved that Qui-Gon killed himself when he couldn't stand the thought of his Padawan turning dark. Makes sense, too. After all, he didn't when Xan had fled but then Xan was still alive. If he had killed him, I could really see Qui doing that!

And then poor Obi-Wan, since his to-be Master is already dead. I very much look forward to seeing what you do with this. Will Qui train him even though he's dead? Will anyone else be able to see the ghost? Will they think Obi-Wan is nuts? Will everyone claim that Qui is dead and the blue light was just him hitting his head?

Next post,please [face_praying]
    =D=

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! I really can't wait for more of this story! Hurry up! [face_praying]

5. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    :eek: Very cool idea! I love this!

That was so sad how Qui killed himself after killing Xanatos. :_| Too bad he didn't already have Obi there to give his life new meaning. :(

Poor Obi-Wan, I felt so bad for him calling out for a Master he didn't have. :(

But someone must have heard, because now Qui is there! Too bad it wouldn't really work for Obi to have a ghost as a Master. :( I hope he can make Obi feel better, anyway.

More soon!! [face_praying]

6. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Woah, very interesting. This is something I've never seen before, which I always love.

Keep up the wonderful writing.

7. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Awe, that so sad *cries* Lovely writing though and I can't wait to hear what our sage, late, Qui-Gon has to to say to poor Obi

8. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    A tear prickled his eyelids. Master, he whispered again. My Master. Where was the one who might have trained him?

:( Poor Obi-Wan!

Qui-Gon, I know you were hurting, but killing yourself is never the answer!

Your actions have hurt so many, including an innocent boy! :(

More, please! [face_praying]

9. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, so absolutely beyond gorgeous. I could definitely feel what Obi-Wan was going through. Poor boy. :( That's pretty horrible. He needs a good master who will love him and help him overcome his self-doubt! :_|

Can't wait for the rest!

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Forgive me, he was supposed to have whispered. Forgive me for the darkness fallen. Forgive me for what my padawan did. It was not his fault, but mine. Force forgive me.

Wha??? Noo, that is so very tragic. It wasn't his fault! :_|

Awww, poor Obi-Wan, so lost and crying of for a master.

Brilliant idea if this is going where I think it might.

11. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That was so sad and so lovely all at once

Yet again I do not understand Yoda allowing Obi to be sent to the Agri Corps if he thought so highly of him.
    Is Qui-Gon the only one who would ever train Obi
    Bad luck he is dead HuH?=D=

More Please Sooooooon:D

12. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    :eek: You had me there! I'm hooked now, post more soon! :D

13. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Leave it to you to baffle everyone with your sheer creativity and originality. :eek:

Poor Obi-Wan. You've captured his hopelessness and complete absence of self-worth in a perfect way. He is beaten down so much, for being so young and innocent. :_|

As for Qui-Gon committing suicide...why isn't this canon? [face_praying].... [face_devil]

I fear I'm running out of ways to tell you how amazing your talent and offerings are, so just know that my respect for and awe of you is ever increasing.

And thank you for the nod. [face_blush] [face_love]

14. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    ~mouth drops to the floor~

Master! What in the world have you done now???

It's... Beautiful! Oh oh oh! More soon please?

I felt so bad for Obi-Wan! All alone, and being sent away while his could cries out for guidance.

Oh, please more soon please!

Seven

15. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    *collapses in a sobbing, blubbering heap* P_A, you are one of the few writers who can make me get so into a story that I actually feel what the characters are experiencing. The power in your words never fails to astound me and I'm left to bow at your feet, saying, "I'm not worthy!" over and over and over.

This is certainly an incredible twist, and honestly I can't wait for the next part. *crosses fingers and starts praying* Hope you update soon! :D

Stormqueen

16. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    :eek::eek:

Oh my...

Captivating start!

Qui-Gon did what?!?! And poor, poor helpless and wounded Obi-Wan. :_|

17. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Oh WOW

More More More

18. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005

That hurt! And then it left me numb.

I see no reason that, with a few minor alterations, Qui-Gon, even as a force ghost, shouldn't still be able to train Obi-Wan. Unorthodox, perhaps. But then, when has Qui-Gon ever been orthodox about anything?! If Obi-Wan can see him, it stands to reason that Yoda and Mace should also.

I can't wait to see where this is going, please PM me when you update.

19. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    He murmured again, and again, to whom, he didn't know. He threw his heart into the litany, the tumbling emotions, all his yearnings, his broken promises. He clutched the Light, in his frenzy. Clung to it with the desperation of a man drowning.

Help me, please. Help me. Help me. Help me.

Ooooh, what a fascinating AU. [face_love] I enjoyed how you described that Obi-Wan felt he was almost being expunged from the Temple and the Jedi, that there would be no place for him amongst the Knights he knew he must serve - and that he was to blame for it. It was tragic how Qui-Gon gave up his own life just shortly after losing his apprentice.

And now Qui-Gon has appeared before Obi-Wan. But why? To say what? What can he do in that form that will change Obi-Wan's fate?

You must post soon, my dear. There will be cake waiting for you when it does. And tea. [face_coffee]

20. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    <grabs cake in haste>

Thanks for the lovely replies, dear ones. I'll reply as soon as I get some sleep. <gracias, s-d, for the tip about formatting - changed it.>

The next part's up, as the muse worked overtime. Bear with me, readers mine. This bunny's still developing, and though I have the outlines, I'm playing it by the ear.

Huge hugs to the all-seeing Diane, who suggested that this be posted on its own thread.

Note: I ask you, once again, to remember that I've switched the time periods of certain events. :) Ah, the pleasures of an AU.

Part 2

For a long moment, he looked at the figure before him as it waved and undulated slightly, in front of him.

He had tried pinching himself, but his Force senses had confirmed what he already knew in his heart of hearts?this was no illusion.

He did not quite bother to move?he did not feel capable of moving, anyway. And yet, it seemed awkward to keep lying on the floor, only raised on his elbows. He strained to raise himself?

?and almost jumped out of his skin as the form spoke.

//Can you hear me?//

He touched his forehead, feeling a vague buzzing, puzzled because he didn?t seem to have heard the voice. And then, he understood. The Jedi had not spoken out loud?he had spoken into his mind.

He gasped, and this time, his body seemed able to obey his commands. He scrambled up rather ungracefully, pulling at his tangled sleep-robes. He gazed at the blue-limned figure. What must he do now? Speak? Stay silent? What did one do, when accosted by a dead Jedi Master?

//You can see me.// The figure approached him hesitantly, and he shrank back. //You can see me, can?t you?//

He jerked up, aghast again at the words. His head buzzed again, but he felt strangely calmer. How could he hear Master Jinn?if this was Jinn, inside his head?

The dead Jedi?s eyes took on a distinct sparkle?a part of Obi-Wan?s mind wondered if the features of spirits underwent the same transformations as those Jedi who still lived. ?I?yes.? He stammered, as the master clearly appeared to wait for his answer, albeit a bit impatiently.

Master Jinn?s stance seemed to relax at once; his robes swished gently, as he approached the boy a little more. //No one?// he murmured. //No one has ever heard me before?// he stared at Obi-Wan, his eyes filled, it seemed, with a wonderment that was tinged with a strange, trembling relief.

Obi-Wan stood as though turned to stone, his mind frantically processing what confronted him. Master Jinn, his mind whispered, Jedi Master Jinn. Master to Xanatos. The Hall of Eminence, Dead.

Oh, good Force.

His legs threatened to give way; Obi-Wan bit his lips and made a supreme effort to maintain some semblance of rigidity.

//A Jedi fears not.//

Easier said than done, even if Jedi never allowed fear to rule them. The Force trembled around him, filled, Obi-Wan was sure, with his trepidation, although he sensed that Master Jinn?s emotions, in some strange way, were communicating themselves to him.

He blinked. ?I?? He began, and then stopped, wondering how one communicated anything to spirits.

//I can sense your thoughts.// came Master Jinn's voice.

The boy clutched his robes tighter.

//I am Qui-Gon Jinn.//

Obi-Wan?s mind abruptly became still, giving up emotions that seemed to have choked him until now. Peace filled him. He did the only thing he could have done so, at the moment.

?Master.? He spoke out loud, and gave a deep bow. Will he hear me inside his head, if I just thought anything?

//Apparently, I already do// came the answer within his head, and Obi-Wan almost lost his balance. Had there been a note of amusement, in the voice?

He blinked a little, and then clasped his hands behind his back. The figure in front of him looked down at him. He thought he could see lines crinkling around the eyes. Those eyes. A hundred emotions seeme

21. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    What an intriguing start you have Princess! And what a request! How interesting indeed.. :D More soon?

I'd post a longer review but I'm still pretty sick :p

22. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oooooooooh.

I loved the interaction between them, so awkward and so perfect. Obi-Wan was very brave, despite his fear. And Qui-Gon . . . poor, poor man. Trying so hard to get through. I ached when he said that he had come because he could not deny Obi-Wan's call. That's our gentle, compassionate Qui-Gon.

Tatooine?

Oh, I can't wait for more! This AU is utterly fascinating!

23. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Curious...could it be...I won't voice my thoughts in case I happen to be wrong or spoil it for others, but I think I may know why he has to go there...

More moee more more more!!

24. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I am simply loving this. Qui-Gon's gentle amusement at life (or in his case death) is so typical of him and very well written.

25. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    Yay, Tatooine![face_dancing] I knew you would surprise me. I did the stupid thing and tried to guess where Qui-Gon wanted Obi-Wan to go before I read the last sentence but it was all in folly, I never guessed. Ha ha. This is going so excellently, I love how you've kept Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in their wonderful compassionate selves.[face_batting]
    This is a wonderful AU!
    Your muse needs to work overtime more often, because this is just lovely!:)
    Kind Regards,
    K.Elessar=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.