main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Gardener- A TPM AU: A gardener saves a Jedi Master. (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin) PART THREE 11/20

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Aelan_Greenleaf, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aelan_Greenleaf

Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Title: The Gardener
    Author: Aelan Greenleaf
    Category: Drama
    Rating: PG/K+
    Summary: A TPM AU. A gardener rescues a Jedi Master. (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin)

Chapter One: The Gardener and His Garden

It was amazing, how beautiful the new morning was. The twin suns of the solar system shone down their light onto the planet, warming the ground and the air. The usual wind had weakened into a mild breeze, and the clouds were nowhere in sight. People began to emerge from their domiciles, moving in the light, going about their day.

And he, the Gardener, went out to his garden.

He smiled to himself as he walked, nodding to those that passed by. His garden was not truly a garden; it was more a mosaic of plants and trees and flowers. It was an immense patch of land, upon which many things grew, things that were used for sustenance and for healing. Some grew beautiful and colourful, some grew with arms outstretched for the stars, some grew thorny and ugly, but he loved them all.

Entering the main complex, he grabbed his tools and jumpsuit, and quickly moved back outside onto the field. The others were already outside, the many of them, caretakers all the same. They waved to him as he walked; he waved back. Men and women, young and old, alien and human; the AgriCorps was anything but selective. Most were Force-sensitive, and were either not powerful enough in the Force for the Jedi or not chosen as a Padawan as younglings.

Except, of course, for the Gardener.

In essence, everyone in Ward Alpha was a gardener, but there was only one Gardener. It was a nickname he had acquired not long after his arrival on Paos II, given to him by his new co-workers. He had been on-world mere hours, when they had asked him to heal a dying plant in Ward Beta. Rare and very old, the [i]gardienne [/i] plant was the only source of the antidote for the Paos Flu. And it was dying.

It had barely taken him a minute, and those around him had been in complete shock. Touching the plant softly and gently, there had been a brilliant flash of light, and when they all looked back, the plant was in bloom, flowering and as red as the dying sun. And so, the Gardener he became.

He reached his section of the field, and began his work. Some would call it boring, uneventful, but he knew better. As a new worker, he too had found it monotonous and pointless, but the truth was, he was helping to feed and to cure the millions of people across the galaxy. By simply growing and caring for a life-form, he was able to contribute so much to the world around him. His work made him proud and happy.

The day passed quickly, as he passed through his rounds, feeding the trees and flowers, and healing the ill. Soon the twin suns had begun their eventual crash into the horizon, and he headed back to the complex, and to home.

Just like the morning had started, the day ended. People returned to their homes, to their spouses and to their offspring, laughing and talking and playing. The Gardener entered his home, and found the boy waiting for him.

"How was your day?" the child asked, blue eyes beaming.

He smiled back. "Wonderful. And yours? School is going well?"

The boy put his hands together happily. "I got top place in the Tech Competition!"

"So the robot worked?"

"[i]Droid[/i]. He's a droid." he corrected, through his expression of pleasure never changed.

"Ah, yes. I could never tell the difference." The Gardener grinned. "Shall we eat?"

"I'm starving."

And the two entered the dining room, completely unaware that at the very same time, a shuttle was burning through the darkening atmosphere of Paos II, shooting down towards the ground below. A shuttle carrying someone who would change their lives forever.

Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi began their dinner, oblivious, as the tiny ship began its? crash into the cooling soil.

2. Darth-Buddy

Darth-Buddy Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Hmmmm, Interesting idea. More please.

3. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Darth-Buddy: Thanks! There'll be more up soon!

4. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Can't wait! This sounds good! :)

5. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Magenta_Moonshadow: Thanks for reading! I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

6. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Ooh, what a new idea!
    So, Obi is a gardener- a far cry from the initiate against going to the agri-corps, isn't it- but it really works, though the way you've wrote it I almost thought it was Qui Gon! Anakin of course was very recognisable with his interest in droids!
    Me likes! Can't wait to see more! (especially of Qui gon, pardon, I meant the man in the crash!)
    I love your writing style- its so very vivid without being overly despcritive, wonderful job =D=

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Very interesting! I'm looking forward to more! :D

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Ooooh what an interesting start! =D= I look forward to more of this :)

9. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Stella_Ripple: Thanks! I love AU stories; they're my passion. :) And it is strange that Obi-Wan is now a gardener, but somehow, it seems to fits! Thanks for reading! [:D]

VaderLVR64: Thank you kindly! There shall be more up on Friday, methinks. Hopefully. :)

Layren: *beams* Thanks!

10. GEN_MASSIMO

GEN_MASSIMO Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2005
    Well, well, well, this is what I call an interesting beginning. An intriguing start indeed.
    I can wait to read more.

11. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    GEN_MASSIMO: Thanks! I'm glad you're reading! :)

12. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Chapter Two: Crash

Anakin Skywalker was an anomaly of sorts in the AgriCorps. He had never been an initiate, nor had he ever been scouted by the Jedi. He had been found as a slave on some planet in the Outer Rim, its' name now forgotten. A strange occurrence had left seventeen year-old Obi-Wan Kenobi with an infant in his arms.

The boy's mother had begged for them to take her son, to bring him to a better life, away from the slavery that he had been born into. Hers were tearful, crying for both the loss of a child and for the happiness that would be in his future. For a few credits, the AgriCorps obtained a new member, and a rarity: a baby.

He had been assigned to a family, cared for by a surrogate mother and father, but that hadn't worked. There was something wrong, something off. He was always sick, always crying, always pale and frightened. The medics, baffled, could find nothing wrong. Physically, at least.

And so, in a desperate last effort, they had called for the Gardener. Perhaps his skills with vegetation would be transferable to a human being. The youth had taken the child into his arms, and instantly, the boy was soothed. Happy, in the arms of the teenager, complete and calm. Obi-Wan had noticed how strong this child was in the Force, broadcasting waves through the calm current of the Unifying Force. Apart, they were unhappy. Together, they were a bright beacon.

The two had been close since, growing up together under the watchful eye of the community. Now, eating dinner in the home where they lived, they were at peace. A boy, a man. Not father and son, but not brothers. Something in between, yet, just as close.

Anakin looked up from his meal, face illuminated with a curious expression. "Can you hear that?"

Obi-Wan stopped chewing. "Hear what?" However, even as he said it, he could hear the strange howl in the dusk.

The boy rose from his chair and moved to the main door of the domicile. He ran outdoors, followed closely by a concerned Obi-Wan.

"Look!" pointed Anakin, as the howl grew louder, and more and more people emerged outdoors.

The young man looked upward, only to see a streak of yellow and red growing larger and larger, plunging down from the air. The object grew closer and closer, until it struck the ground in a resounding roar, just outside of the AgriCorps land. The emergency sirens rang, as the people scattered and the rescue vehicles were sent out. Anakin looked after them with curiosity and a tinge of jealousy.

"I wonder what that was. A spaceship, a starfighter!" His eyes lit up from within. "Maybe it's a Jedi!"

Obi-Wan's eyes darkened. The Jedi. "I don't think so, Anakin. Let's go back inside." He started back towards the home, a disappointed Anakin trailing behind.

[hr]

It was well into the night when a knock on the door and a yell brought Obi-Wan running down the stairs of his home and to the man who waited outside. His name was Dart Quinn, the head medic, and he was looking decidedly tried and ragged.

"We've run out of options, Obi-Wan. Please."

The young man could see the desperation in his friends eyes. "Of course, Dart. Give me one moment." He turned to the stairs, and as he expected, Anakin was there, watching and listening.

"You can't come." he said softly, already knowing what the boy's question would be.

Anakin's eyes said everything. "Please, Obi-Wan?"

He offered the child a small smile. "Trust me, Anakin, it is better to stay here."

There was something in Obi-Wan's eyes that made the boy shiver, and he held back his next protest. Instead, he simply offered a wave to his best friend, and watched as the two men left, heading for the Infirmary and what, he was sure of, was the most interesting thing Paos II had seen in a very long time.

[hr]

The Infirmary was a squat, drab building near the centre of the small AgriCorps community. Its' walls saw, at the most, a broken leg or insecticide poisoning. At night, it was always quiet, the two nurses simply patrolling the building, caring for

13. GEN_MASSIMO

GEN_MASSIMO Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2005
    ARGHHH!!! You can't leave us like this!!! Please write more...and more...and more..!!!

14. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    GEN_MASSIMO: Thanks! There will be more... and more... and more. :)

15. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Wow! I'm loving this so far! More!

16. Stella_Ripple

Jul 29, 2005
    WOW! *gasp* That was great! Wonderful post!

I like this AU and loved the way you've portrayed obi and ani's r'ship- perfect =D=
    Interesting to see this camler, more mature obi wan at what seems to be an earlier age, I'd be interested to know how/when he reached that stage.

Uh-oh, I had a feeling there might be a story behind the way 'obi's eye darkened' at the mention of the jedi! [face_worried] but then I thought obi had been at the agricorps since he was 13, but now with the mention of qui as former master!!! Ooh that does look promising! I wonder what happened ...

I can't wait to read more

17. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Fat_Bird: Thanks a lot for your comment! :)

Stella_Ripple: Ah yes, there IS an answer for the AgriCorps Obi/former master thing. Thanks so much for reading! :)

18. Azul_Gaea

Azul_Gaea Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2005
    Oh boy!! o_O Oh boy!! More!! Please? KYAAAA!!!!
    Oh... Obi is perfect, he can save plants and heal people :_| he is amazing! And he takes care of babies (Ani) More? And what was that thing about 'former master'? o_O Need more and the sooner the better [face_praying]

19. light-

light- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    *spazes*

20. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Azul_Gaea: Thanks so much! I know, ain't he perfect? [face_love] The 'master' shall soon be explained... :)

light-: [:D]

21. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Chapter Three: Asleep

Anakin Skywalker waited a long time for Obi-Wan to come home. He watched the moons rise in the clear sky above, and he watched as they reached their apex, then continued back down. He fell asleep on several occasions, waiting at the window for his friend's return. And while he slept, he dreamt. He had had the same dream for years, but it never ceased to worry and confuse him. And it always started off the same...

[i]The world around him was bare, as the harsh sand that was everything to be seen started to rise up in the blowing wind. Faster and faster, the sand spun, scratching him and getting into his eyes and mouth. He wanted to scream for help, but there was too sand, it was everywhere and he couldn't breathe...

And then the dust cleared, for only a moment, and there was a woman standing before him, with chestnut hair and sad eyes. "Ani..."[/i]

That was when he would wake up, abruptly and covered with a slight sheet of sweat, breathing quickly. As always.

Anakin looked back outside, and with a start, saw a figure coming towards the house, walking quickly and with purpose. He knew it was his [i]vena[/i], returning from the Infirmary. The boy rose from his seat and moved to the door, waiting to hear what Obi-Wan had seen and heard of the thing that had fallen from the sky.

The door opened, and a hooded man came in, quietly. There was something strange around him, something Anakin couldn't explain. He could simply feel it. Any feelings of excitement dissipated, as a worry for Obi-Wan began to overtake him.

"What's wrong?" he asked, and the young man jumped, startled.

The young man smiled, almost. "I should have known you would still be up." His eyes looked dull and frozen.

"Obi-Wan?"

The Gardener sighed, and he moved into the living space, settling down onto one of the chairs and collapsing in a manner befitting those who are on the verge of exhaustion. "He's a Jedi, Anakin."

The boy couldn't help but grin. "He's a Jedi? So he's okay? What's he doing here?"

Obi-Wan looked away, and out through the window, staring at the quiet night before him. "He'll be okay. With time."

A silence followed. "There's something bothering you," said Anakin, perceptive as always, "Tell me."

Time passed so slowly, it seemed nothing was happening at all. "I... he's..." For once, Obi-Wan couldn't articulate what he wanted to say. There was too much Anakin didn't know; too much that he hadn't told the child. Too much from the past that he was not eager to revisit.

Anakin didn't say, or do, anything at all. He was good at waiting, when he wanted to be.

His [i]vena[/i] leant back into his chair and closed his eyes. "Do you remember when I told you how I got here, Anakin?"

Of course he did. "Yes." he answered.

"That may not have been entirely true."

Anakin's expression revealed his confusion. "How?"

The Gardener's face was pained, troubled. "I... I wasn't sent away to AgriCorps because I wasn't chosen as an apprentice. I was, for a while, a Padawan to a Master."

The boy's eyes grew large. "Really? You were a real Jedi?"

But the young man didn't smile. "Yes."

"And that man, that man in the Infirmary, he was your Master?"

Obi-Wan opened his eyes then, and looked back out into the great expanse. "A long time ago." And then he went vacant, and wasn't really there anymore, for a moment. Anakin's eyelids began to grow heavy, with the sleep that had yet to come.

"Time for bed, Anakin." said Obi-Wan, from far away.

And for once, the child listened.

[hr]

22. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    So what happened? Why did he choose to go to the Agri-Corps?

23. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Fat-Bird: Ah, we will get to that... eventually. :) [face_devil]

24. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Interesting AU! Nice to see Anakin and Obi-Wan still together, and Anakin better behaved than in the movies. :) Interesting that Obi-Wan has this healing power. I wonder why he wanted to go to Agri-corp after being Padawan to Qui-Gon? [face_thinking] It seems to have been traumatic for him to shun the Jedi. :(

Nice job! If you send pms, could you please add me to the list?

25. Stella_Ripple

Jul 29, 2005
    I liked how concerned Ani got for Obi Wan, its so nice to see them bonded so well! But poor obi, it looks like the old memories are very painful for him...

Can't wait for more! Maybe a obi and qui or ani and qui scene next [face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.