main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Fear (A JA 15: The Death of Hope AU story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by masterobiwankenobi, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterobiwankenobi

masterobiwankenobi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    Disclaimer: The Star Wars characters and the Star Wars universe that I borrow them from, belong to George Lucas or Jude Watson.
    Author: Peggy Schultz
    Email: masterobiwankenobi@msn.com
    Title: Fear
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Tahl
    Timeline: AU version of JA # 15, Obi-Wan is 16.
    Rating: PG
    Summary: First challenge response for my website. Where Obi-Wan is blinded/dies instead of Tahl in the Death of Hope.
    Author's Note: Some parts of this story was taken from the Jedi Apprentice book # 15 The Death of Hope. Thanks to Lady_Eirtae for the edit.

Fear

Fear, it was a normal human emotion, but for the Jedi it was an emotion to be suppressed. He had been taught since he was a very young Initiate that Fear leads to Hate, and to use Strength over Fear. But Fear held onto him nonetheless, it squeezed his heart with an agonizing ache, it twisted his stomach into knots, and caused a lump to form in his throat making it difficult to swallow. The Force seemed to scream at him of the urgency for him to find his Padawan and friend.

Qui-Gon followed Balog as another explosion rocked the cave followed by another smaller boom. When Balog suddenly turned into a small tunnel without security sensors, he quickly followed. He was sure the man would lead him to Tahl and Obi-Wan. A gleam of a durasteel door just ahead was the only thing he could see in the dark tunnel.

Balog had paused outside the door to access it, and Qui-Gon watched him intently while keeping out of the man?s sight. After the door opened and the man he?d been following entered, Qui-Gon used a burst of speed and leapt through the door seconds before it slid shut. He landed with his lightsaber already ignited.

Balog stood in the center of the room between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. His Padawan was inside the sensory deprivation device that leaned against the cave wall. He could only see his eyes through a small viewscreen; he knew he was alive though. He could feel the boy?s weakened signature with the Force. Obi-Wan was trying to reach out to him.

Qui-Gon tore his gaze away from that of his Padawan and glanced in Balog?s direction. Out of the corner of his eyes, he could see Tahl lying on the floor on opposite side of the room from Obi-Wan. She looked weak, and Qui-Gon suspected that she had been put into the sensory deprivation device first.

Balog?s sudden laughter reclaimed his full attention. ?You think you can threaten me? You think that you can frighten me? What you don?t know is that I have all the power here.? He held up a small transmitter. ?I can take away his life.?

Qui-Gon glanced in the direction of his Padawan before returning his gaze to Balog. His heart pounded loudly in his chest reminding him of the drums of the Massassi that he had heard recordings of as an initiate.

?Do you see this?? Balog held the transmitter in the air. ?I can give your little friend a last lethal dose. He is very weak, weaker than Tahl I believe. I think it?s his smaller size that is causing it. Too bad I don?t have enough time to determine that. I wanted to keep them both alive, but I?ve come to realize that there is no need.?

?What do you want?? Qui-Gon asked with another glance at his helpless Padawan.

?Nothing from you,? Balog said contemptuously. ?You?ve done enough already. You found this place. Well, your Worker allies won?t find anything here when they arrive. No records, nothing to spy on, and nothing to steal.?

?You set the weapons room to detonate,? Qui-Gon guessed as he noticed Tahl?s slight movement out of the corner of his eyes. She was awake now and listening to them.

?I?ll be gone before that happens. We have plenty of support in the city. We don?t need these followers to accomplish what we need to.?

?You don?t care what lives are lost.?

?I care about Apsolon. My Apsolon,? Balog said fiercely. ?Not the Apsolon the Workers want. You Jedi are in my way.? He stepped back and accessed a door behind him. A tiny space contained a small transport with a bubble-shap

2. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Just Like Obi-wan to put everyone else's safety first
    excellent story,=D=

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Lovery story. :)

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I like this very much.

5. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    One word: Brilliant! :D

6. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    That was sweet. One of those pieces that are a great respite from all the tragedy in fanfic. :D I enjoyed it. :)

7. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Awww, what a great story. [face_love]

?I know Padawan; you tend to put your life at risk in order to help people quite often. While it is a very endearing quality, it is a very scary prospect to have to watch you do it. But I wouldn?t have you any other way.? [face_love]

Too bad the real JA 15 didn't turn out so well. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing this with us, masterobiwankenobi! :D

8. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    ?He told us he had to prevent Tahl?s death in order to save you. He said he knew how to do it, and that he needed to be the one to go with her,? Mace took a deep breath before continuing. ?He said if you knew you would insist on going with him or leaving him behind. I don?t know if he knew he would be injured or put in that device too, but he was adamant on going. He waited to tell us about the vision until you had already left the Temple. He reminded me a lot of you, my friend.?

What a nice change! Obi-Wan saves Tahl, and thus saves his Master! :D

That's why we love him! [:D]

Good job! :)

9. O-Lana

O-Lana Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2005
    ?It?s dark, I can?t?. see you.?
    Oh. I felt so sorry for him.

10. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    What an intriguing AU! I wish the story was the longer--there's so much you could explore with that, such what will happen to Qui-Gon and Tahl's relationship now. But very well-done what you have! I enjoyed it very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.