main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Family Games (Dooku, Qui-Gon, others - complete)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by sabarte, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Title: Family Games
    Author: sabarte
    Genre: (very) short story
    Time Frame: 77 BBY
    Characters: Dooku, Qui-Gon, others
    Notes: Constructive criticism is always welcome.

"So who is this friend of yours?"

"Professer Stanbridge has invited us to his house for kaffe. He is one of the the most influential archeologists in the galaxy - enormously respected. An important man, a brilliant man."

"I've gathered that much, Master. But what's he like?"

"He's married - three children, grown. He's fostering two young children also - the youngest is just entering primary schooling."

"'Fostering' children?" Qui-Gon asked, curious.

"Somewhat like how the Temple takes in children that are not theirs. The Republic can be a hard place. Some children lose their parents, some are...hurt by them. The Jedi take only those that are Force sensitive. Not everyone grows up in a Temple - or even a house. There's never enough families for those in need."

"A good man then." Qui-Gon said.

"He has a bit of the Force about him. Untrained. And I know he refused a son to the Jedi also."

Dooku finally chose a door in the endless hallways, and pressed the chime button. A frail, blue-eyed man with a shock of white hair opened it. "Just on time. As usual. Come in, Dooku." A tow-headed child looked up as they entered.

Ardeiki glanced across the room, motioning Dooku to a seat around a low table.

"This is my son Cos. My wife and his sister are at a recital tonight - so I'm watching him."

"And this is my apprentice, Qu...." Dooku frowned, realizing Qui-Gon was no longer behind him...and was in fact sitting on the floor to talk to Ardeiki's foster son. It was bound to have happened eventually, but couldn't the boy wait five minutes?!

This was supposed to have been a formal introduction. Professor Ardeiki Stanbridge was one of Dooku's carefully cultivated acquaintances, always willing to talk about the history of the Order, the development of the Republic, or a thousand other matters that even the Jedi Archives knew little about. His papers were a delight to read, and the fact that he had made time for a young Jedi years ago with just-published theories of his own was still a matter of small pride for Dooku. However, all Stanbridge's credentials, all his many achievements meant nothing to his apprentice. Qui-Gon was...being Qui-Gon.

"He likes games!" the Professor said helpfully, following Dooku's gaze and smiling.

Or maybe Qui-Gon had the right idea. Stanbridge certainly didn't seem phased. "I've raised teenagers." he murmured. "I know how it is. Like adults, but not quite."

"He's not supposed to be an adolescent." Dooku said just as quietly. Maybe even betraying a hint of frustration. "He's supposed to be a Jedi."

"At least he's sociable instead of sulky. By that age my daughter was accusing me of curfew enforcement tyrannies unmatched since the days of the Sith Empire, and my sons never left their rooms if they could help it."

Dooku smiled. "Well, he is, but it's passive-aggressive cheerfulness. I can tell."

Qui-Gon was opening up a cabinet at the child's urging, but his hand flashed in the basic language Dooku had developed out of primitive Jedi hand sign in reply to that. Dooku smiled again. At least he was paying attention.

"In any case, this is Qui-Gon. I'm sure I've mentioned him to you."

"Many times..."

"Dejarik? You're sure?" Qui-Gon asked. "You know how to play?"

"Of course I know how to play!" Cos said. He was well-spoken for his age, bright-eyed, and the Force swirled around him. Qui-Gon took the portable board from the top shelf and thumbed it on, watching the holographic monsters appear. Cos took the first move.

"...how old are you?" Qui-Gon asked.

"Five."

Too old. Qui-Gon thought. But still, what was a year? Letting such a child go untrained seemed a terrible waste.

He took a move absently. He wasn't good at dejarik. The boy seemed to know what he was doing, though.

"Have you ever wanted to be a Jedi,

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhhh that was sweeeeeeet! A young Palpy in the making! [face_devil] Well done! Looooooooooved it! [face_mischief]

Liked how Ardeiki hid his Force presence to a minimum. Making him appear touched but not powerful. And how he already had Dooku slightly wrapped around his finger (forsay).

=D= Excellent job! :D :D

3. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Really liked this one...

Keep up the good work

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooh Very well done! =D= =D==D= You're going to do more aren't you? :D I know it says complete -- but you have to write Qui going to fetch Xani, you can't just hint at that :p I just love Qui/Dooku fics :D You should do more of them :)

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh wow! That was one shocking surprise! OUtstanding fic sabarte!!.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    =D= Loved it! And I agree, you should do more! ;)

7. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Thank you all for your kind words :). I probably won't do a direct sequel, but I'm working on a few semi-sequels that I may or may not finish in a timely manner.

8. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Cos is eebil!

9. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    For those of you who were asking for sequels, I've just finished the very loose sequel Deep Sky. No Palpatine, Plagueis, or Xanatos, sadly, but lots of Qui-Gon and Dooku as they visit Dooku's scary relatives. :)

10. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Whoa. Very, very good. Loved that nasty little Palpatine.

11. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Wow, you surprised me with that ending!

Great job - well written.

=D=

Edit: Yay! 300 posts.

12. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    sabarte :cool: :D Saw it coming... but supremely well done! ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

13. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Thanks all, especially for the nom, though I think this may be my weakest work. Well, we'll see tomorrow. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.