main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Trust me~* Humor/mush short, Quigs, preJA: The angst of a sick Jedi Master.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Charmisjess, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    I've got another post for you. :)Apparently there are better things to be doing than studying for finals.[face_blush]

?Please...leave...?

Across the room, Qui-Gon froze awkwardly in mid step, balancing a tray in one hand and some juice in the other. The words coming from the shivering heap of blankets caught him by surprise; he had thought Dooku to be quite unconscious. On the sleep-couch, the lumpy shape of his Master moved, and for a moment, he was tempted to flee. Dooku was at his most terrifying when he was incapacitated like this.

Motionlessly suspended on one foot, the boy pondered his situation. He had only dared to invade Dooku?s sanctuary of a room as a last resort, a final breakdown in his care-at-a-distance plan. Dooku was an impossible patient, despite Qui-Gon?s best efforts. Ever since he had starting showing symptoms of the contagious flu almost a week ago it had been impossibly difficult. Qui-Gon had never even seen Dooku ill before. In the quiet, leftover little boy parts of his mind, it frightened him. Dooku shouldn?t be sick, he was a Jedi Master?his Jedi Master and therefore infallible. Jedi Masters did not get sick. But here it was. And Dooku was undoubtably sick, very sick, and long ranged treatment was no longer an option.

The problem seemed to lie somewhere in Dooku?s blatant refusal to acknowledge weakness of any sort. Rest didn?t suit him very well, nor did being taken care of. He would rather smolder and suffer in silence than be looked after if he was ill or injured. In fact, Qui-Gon probably wouldn?t have noticed anything the matter with his Master at first, except that he had beaten Dooku in a lightsaber duel. That never happened.

What was more, Dooku had taken the loss without comment.

He had to be really feeling awful.

?Master...? he murmured tentatively, taking a hesitant step further into the room. Trespassing. ?I...I?ve brought you some juice and some painkillers...don?t you want them??

There came no reply from the huddled form.

He advanced another few inches forward, gaining slow confidence. ?I talked to Healer Willow on the comm just a bit ago. She said you should have fluid and vitamins and the juice has both...so...? He reached the side of the bed and trailed off. ?...ah, Master??

The sight might have been comical if it weren?t so pitiful. Dooku had curled himself up into as tight a ball as possible, the blankets forming a little nest around his shivering form. The only part of him remaining visible was his pale face, which shone out from the darkened room like some ominous moon. His dark hair was disheveled, down loose in his face, curling limply at the ends. In fact, at first glance it would be difficult to distinguish Dooku as alive, if not for the murderous, distinctively unkillable glint reflecting in his bloodshot eyes. The blanketed Master stirred fitfully, then spoke in a low, somewhat petulant tone. ? I don?t...want...any...blasted...juice.? He struggled to sit up, and meet his Padawan?s gaze evenly. ?I do not require assistance.? Dooku collapsed backward.

Qui-Gon set the juice and tray off to the side, and sat down on the edge of the sleep couch warily. ?There isn?t any shame in admitting you feel terrible. I can look after you, despite what you may think, I am capable.? He sighed, smoothing down the coverlet gently. ?It?s that bad virus that?s been going around the Temple. You?ve got it, that?s all.?

?That?s your opinion.? Dooku whispered malevolently. Apparently his argumentative side had yet to be conquered by the fever. ?Please. Leave.?

?No, it?s also Healer Willow?s, and her opinion is backed by medical training, which makes it somewhat more significant.? Qui-Gon replied, patiently. ?I?m not going until you have some juice.?

?Leave that infernal woman out of this.? Dooku hissed, retreating further back into his blankets. His stare seem to glaze, as his tone of grouchy irritation turned to one of deep suspicion. ?Lady Willow has had it out for me ever since I told her I?d prefer a med droid as my physici

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww [face_love]

Poor Qui -- trying to help Dook and poor Dook -- wanting only to be left alone in peace. Wonderful m'dear as always :)

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Grumpy Dooku!! [face_dancing] Awwww he's so sweet poor thing needs TLC with a sternness behind it! [face_laugh]

Poor Qui, he tried and succeeded...well somewhat! A pity Dooku didn't hear that last bit, cuz he might have hit it on the nose!

?It?s about you! You?re afraid to get close. You?re afraid...you?re afraid that they?ll leave you!?

I so can believe this :D

Well done Charmisjess!! =D= I loved it! [:D] Thanks for sharing it!! :D

4. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Aww! I love it! :D Funny yet tender. I like the relationship you've set up between Dooku and Qui, how Qui is slightly scared of his master and Dooku never opens up. It fits his character as we see it in the movies.

Such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing! :)

5. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Aw, sweet and funny. Well done. I look forward to more!
    =D=

6. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    Oooo, I like it.=D=

7. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Awww, poor Qui Gon, spilling his heart out and Dooku didn't even hear him![:D]

And you *almost* made me feel sorry for Dooku there...;)

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable. I loved how he kept arguing with Qui-Gon even when the kid was trying to help. And then to fall asleep and miss his Padawan telling him off. Oh well. Maybe they can do it again...LOL.

Great job.

9. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Hey!! Wow, sorry it's taken me so long to get back with replies. I just got my broadband back, and I don't even pretend to play on tf.net with dialup. [face_hypnotized]

BUT! Thank you guys so much for all your kind words! They make my day and keep me writing. :)

Laurie: lol, yes, silence is golden for poor Dook. :) Thanks for the review!!

Kynstar: Thanks so much, my dear!! Yes, grumpy Dooku is so fun. *grins* All he really needs is a little snuggle. :D

Nienna_Narmolanya: Thanks so much for such a kind review! I'm glad you liked it!! :)

Kestrel_Kenobi: I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D And BTW, I love your Shaak Ti icon-thingie! Shaak's the greatest!

Aya-Na_Bashu: Thanks! :)

Magenta_Moonshadow: lol, yes, I thought it would be natural that the moment Quigs gets up the nerve to actually cross Dooku, he would be completely zoned out.

dianethx: DIANE!! Hey, it's been a long time!! :D How's it going?? Aw, I'm glad you liked it. :) One cannot go wrong with little Quigs.

10. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    Awww! The vulnerable, mushy-like side of Dooku. [face_love] That was awsome great job!

11. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Wonderful, wonderful mush. Poor Dook, caught off gaurd, sick - and poor Qui-Gon, trying to be the 'mother fowl'. Your language was beautiful - that wry tone which sets off both Dooku and Qui-Gon so well. Bravo!=D=

12. Terra_Wan_Kenobi

Terra_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    awwww... that was so sweet i feel sorry for Dooku

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    The problem seemed to lie somewhere in Dooku?s blatant refusal to acknowledge weakness of any sort. Rest didn?t suit him very well, nor did being taken care of. He would rather smolder and suffer in silence than be looked after if he was ill or injured. In fact, Qui-Gon probably wouldn?t have noticed anything the matter with his Master at first, except that he had beaten Dooku in a lightsaber duel. That never happened.

Now, there's a difficult master to deal with. Dooku has such a wise Padawan. It's a pity that he wasn't awake to hear him. You've written them as just the sort of master and padawan that they might be; very nice.

14. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    EEP! More replies! :D [face_batting] I kind of love you all.

micky-nikki: Thanks!! :D Mushy Dook is the best kind!

Princess_Arulmozhi: Aw, thanks so much, Princess! *hugs*

Terra_Wan_Kenobi: Hehe, thanks a bunch. Yeah, Dook does know how to lay on the sulk.

ardavenport: Yeah, I always thought that Dooku and Qui would have been a good team, despite everything. Qui-Gon wouldn't have turned out so well if Dook hadn't been at least a little loveable, I think. :)

15. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Things I particularly noticed:

-Qui-Gon stopping short and standing on one foot. At first I thought it was funny, then I thought it sounded rather precarious, and then I realized he was in fact probably completely stable without having to think about it. And then I pictured Qui-Gon as a stork, and we're back to funny and a little surreal.

-I am mildly confused as to why Qui-Gon thought Dooku was unconscious at first if he was stuck in his thoughts. Then again, he could have just woken up... or Qui-Gon could have thought he was having restless dreams. The sleeping pill was probably a good idea.

-It occurs to me that Dooku might have been in better shape if he had tried getting some rest sooner, perhaps as an alternative to lightsaber dueling. Given what it took to get this lesson to sink in for me, however, I'm not sure I can talk. (Then again, at least I learned it. I also learned that Benadryl had more functions than I had previously imagined.)

-Trespassing. That seemed very appropriate to Qui-Gon's feelings under the circumstances... although I notice that in all the times Dooku told him to go away, he didn't quite say Qui-Gon shouldn't be there. I'm not sure if this is significant.

-Dooku curled up in the blankets is comical. So is "I do not require assistance" and then flopping back down.

-Qui-Gon being soothing is adorable.

-"And now they had reached the rambling paranoia stage of the fever" -- somehow this gives me the idea that Qui-Gon has been looking after other infected Jedi. Observing them, at least.

-However correct Healer Willow may be, I think I would also be somewhat peeved if I went in for a vaccination and got spontaneously psychoanalyzed. Then again, I am not accustomed to the Jedi medical system.

-"I don't even like other people. ...Oh, well, you're all right" -- this was hysterical and rather touching.

-He actually admitted it? He IS in bad shape.

-Mother fowl indeed.... I get the idea Qui-Gon makes a nicer mother than Dooku's actual mother.

-Putting his hand on his head as if he could plug the thought-leak was also cute. In a very odd way.

-I agree, too bad Dooku missed the outburst.

-I keep comparing this to the one where Qui-Gon's got the flu. Wildly different approaches to being ill, I can see why they baffle each other. ;) ...And Qui-Gon also ends up sulking with his face to the wall for a bit of the story, doesn't he? Heh.

16. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Thanks so much, PK!

You and I have had conversations about this before, but I thought I'd officially reply and make a comment or two. :D

Comment one: Yes, the angst between Willow and Dooku wasn't all on Dooku's end. I don't think I'd appreciate my Dr. giving me relational advice either. ;) But I always imagined Willow as being one who knows Dooku's buttons particularly well, and rather enjoys pressing them.

Comment two: Actually, I meant this story to be a sort of contrast with Sniffles. I may rewrite/replace the document on ff.net for Sniffles, because I think I could bookend them better. It's been a while since I wrote it.

[face_batting] Thanks for commenting!

17. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

Qui-Gon had never even seen Dooku ill before. In the quiet, leftover little boy parts of his mind, it frightened him.

Awwwwww.

Lady Willow has had it out for me ever since I told her I?d prefer a med droid as my physician over her. And who would contest that? She?s mad. For the stars, she even calls herself a bloody Mind Healer. What is a Mind Healer, does anyone even know??

I don't! :p Good question.... [face_thinking] What is a mind healer? :p

?I don?t even like other people.? He glanced up at Qui-Gon, as if just remembering he was there. ?Oh, well, you?re all right, I suppose.

LOL! Q-G must be so relieved. :p

What a lovely tale. The bit at the end - when QG finally lets loose and rants only to realize that Dooku was sleeping through the whole Drama Queen moment was so funny yet sad. As always you write D & Q in a way that just makes me hum with pleasure! Thanks so much for sharing this. :D

18. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Aw, thank you leia!

LOL, I figured, with Lady Willow that if the Jedi Temple had shrinks, Dooku would be the first one to pick a fight with one. ;)

Of course, and thank you for such a lovely review! You're so kind, and I'm really glad to have you on as a reader! :) [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.