main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Connection -- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan story (tunic challenge), COMPLETE, 22-Jan-2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Connection
    Author: ardavenport (aka Ani-Chay Pinn, aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I
    Genre: adventure
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, JA, BfTS
    Summary: Qui-Gon needs rescuing. Obi-Wan rescues him.
    And while this story was written before the 'Qui-Gon needs a tunic' challenge appeared on the Qui-Gon challenge thread, it does actually fit that category.
    Notes: also posted on The Jedi Assembly fan fiction forum. And typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to Lucas; I?m just playing in the SW sandbox

CONNECTION
    by Anne Davenport

?That?s not supposed to happen.? Coomens ran his hands through his graying, sandy hair and looked despairingly at the one-way window into the gray cell. The Jedi had uncrossed his legs; they twitched, his head fell forward and he shuddered. Then he stilled again, his hands rested in the lap of his blue kaftan, palms up. They hadn?t seen him sleep or rest in the two days they?d had him. Except for these occasional spasms, he didn?t move.

Najiid shrugged and scratched under one of his yellowing tusks. ?He?s a little early this time,? Najiid noted. ?Not that he really keeps a schedule.?

?Not him. That.? Coomens pointed at the blinking red activity indicator on the status screens under the window. Najiid leaned over to look. It stopped. They stared at it, then at each other.

?That thing?s not working. It can?t be. If it were, he would have been climbing the walls yesterday!? Coomens shouted at the screens that now indicated normal function. Najiid made a low rumble from the back of his throat.

?According to this, his brain is getting nothing but white noise from anything.? Najiid waved a claw at the readouts. ?No sight, sound, taste, smell or touch. Nada.? The Jedi sat cross-legged again, in the middle of the floor, facing them. The senso-block band was still clamped around his forehead, the ready lights blinked normal. They waited. In the cell, the Jedi sat still, apparently oblivious to anything, eyes half closed, bearded jaw slack, his long brown hair falling down his shoulders. He wore nothing but the pale, blue, disposable caftan they?d put on him before locking him up.

He twitched again. The indicators flashed red again. His spasms looked disturbingly more purposeful this time; hands, then wrists, then arms. Then he stopped. The indicators went back to green.

Najiid looked back at Coomens. ?You want to go in and check??

?No,? Coomens responded quickly, pulling back.

Najiid grunted. ?You?re afraid to go in there.?

Coomens crossed his arms. ?I?m not stupid. He shouldn?t even be sitting there like that. I don?t want to find out what else he?s not supposed to be able to do.? Aside from his unnatural motions, Jedi were also trained fighters and Coomens barely came up this one?s shoulder.

Coomens warily sat down next to his partner. His expensive blue suit was rumpled and not very fresh anymore. He hadn?t left their hidden ?spa? since their people had starting leaving. A pile of stale food cartons and a collection of cups cluttered the shelves on the wall behind them. One of their bio-engineers had absconded with their droids on his way out the door. Coomens reached inside his tailored jacket and fingered the small hand blaster in its holster.

?You don?t think we should...?

Najiid scoffed. ?We?re already up to illegal bio-trafficking, accomplice to a negligent death of a family member of a well-connected politician and unlawful imprisonment of a Republic Judicial Official. They?ll double the punishment for that last one if we added attempted murder.?

?What do you mean by ?attempted?? Who says I?m not going to do it.?

?You do. Every time you won?t go in there.? Najii

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I really loved the OCs in this one, especially the criminals. They weren't evil enough to kill someone out of hand and yet they could only think about their own pockets and how much they would make. And Jinn slowly getting his mind back together. His hypersensitivity was really well done. I could almost feel all the little aches and pains he was feeling.

Nicely done so far...

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I thought it was rather amusing that Najiid and Coomens couldn't handle Qui-Gon even with the senso-block!

I love that Obi was able to find him

Nice job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    ?I?m not stupid. He shouldn?t even be sitting there like that. I don?t want to find out what else he?s not supposed to be able to do.?

I cannot blame him one bit. As Diane said, very nice job of describing what Qui-Gon was going through, especially the line about never before feeling tapped by the Force. I look foward to reading more here. :)

5. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    ... he could do little more than randomly agitate his padawan for days.
    lol, I read that and got a silly mental picture of Qui Gon hovering around Obi Wan and poking him with a stick :p
    Anyway, great job! =D= :D =D= :D can't wait for more!

6. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

?I?m not stupid. He shouldn?t even be sitting there like that. I don?t want to find out what else he?s not supposed to be able to do.

So typically Qui-Gon :D Doing things that he's not supposed to do even when a hostage :p

Really enjoyed this! Looking forward to more!

7. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Interesting start. :D

That was funny how nervous Najiid and Coomens were even with Qui-Gon 'supposedly' incapacitated, they were definitely in over their heads. Coomens gave in; his partner may have the tusks, claws and bulk of a tough, but he had the soul of a lawyer. [face_laugh]

And like the others said, nice description of what Qui was going through as his senses returned to him. I feel for the big guy, ouch! :(

But without any reference to the living world he could do little more than randomly agitate his padawan for days. At least Qui had something to do for all that time. [face_mischief]

And I liked Mazik's thoughts about Obi-Wan, it's always fun to read an outsider's perspective of the Jedi. After Jinn had gone missing and Kenobi could only insist on the vaguest, hazy ?feelings? about what had happened, Mazik had thought about locking him up; Jedi or not, two days without sleep made anybody crazy. Then he?d planted himself in her office to ?meditate? and three hours later, pow, he?d had a vision. Mazik had been shocked to discover that a Jedi vision was actually sufficient evidence for a warrant from a Republic magistrate, if you got the right one. Their methods were weird, but they got the job done. [face_laugh]

Looking forward to more. :D

8. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Hehe, I like seeing things from OC's points of view. Love how they don't want to add murder to their list, just wanting to get away with their money, but not knowing what to do with Qui-Gon either.

Poor Qui. Good description of Qui's hypersensitivity.

I like Mazik's thoughts too, baffled but pleased. :p

Hope to see more soon!

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great start! I can't wait to read more! :D

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    dianethx:I really loved the OCs in this one, especially the criminals. They weren't evil enough to kill someone out of hand and yet they could only think about their own pockets and how much they would make. And Jinn slowly getting his mind back together. His hypersensitivity was really well done. I could almost feel all the little aches and pains he was feeling.

Thanks much. OCs and descriptions make the story...uh, bigger, I think, and then the main character are bigger, too. Glad you enjoyed them.

KELIA:I love that Obi was able to find him

Aaaawwwww, it not worth being captured without the rescue.;)

Healer_Leona: As Diane said, very nice job of describing what Qui-Gon was going through, especially the line about never before feeling tapped by the Force. I look foward to reading more here.

Thanks. There's more than one way to disturb the Force.

micky-nikki... he could do little more than randomly agitate his padawan for days.
    lol, I read that and got a silly mental picture of Qui Gon hovering around Obi Wan and poking him with a stick

It's probably not the greatest way of calling for help, but it worked. Glad you enjoyed it.

Layren So typically Qui-Gon Doing things that he's not supposed to do even when a hostage

He's such a dynamic Jedi!

Bastet And like the others said, nice description of what Qui was going through as his senses returned to him. I feel for the big guy, ouch!

We really make the big guy suffer, don't we? But he gets better.

Jedi_Tigris Hehe, I like seeing things from OC's points of view. Love how they don't want to add murder to their list, just wanting to get away with their money, but not knowing what to do with Qui-Gon either.

OCs can sometimes tell you more about the main character than their own thoughts can.

VaderLVR64 Great start! I can't wait to read more!

Thanks for reading!

================================================ part 2

They had just gone into hyperspace. The ship?s crew, all two of them, had left the Jedi in the Baron?s private cabin. It was small for private suite, but large and plush for a small space cruiser. Most of the furnishings were in shades of blue, trimmed with bronze, with a sitting area of low tables and padded chairs on one side of the cabin and another sitting area on the other, dominated by a large couch that could be curtained off and converted to a private sleeping area.

Obi-Wan spoke with the ship?s protocol droid in its alcove at the other end of the cabin. Qui-Gon lay wrapped in Obi-Wan?s robe in a plush, deep blue recliner by the long table by the window port. They?d found his boots and belt; Obi-Wan had put them with his lightsaber on a corner of the table. But his captors seemed to have disposed of his clothes, so they?d traded the disposable kaftan for a knee-length, cream-colored silken shirt from the Baron?s closets.

Obi-Wan approached and laid a tray on the table.

?Qui-Gon??

Qui-Gon opened his eyes.

?The medical droid did say that you should eat something...? Obi-Wan nudged the tray toward him. Qui-Gon could not think of anything that he wanted to do less than eat. Which, of course, meant that should. He sat forward and looked over the offerings.

Obi-Wan had quite over-done it. Or perhaps it was the Baron?s droid. The tray was laden with sliced fruit, dainty vegetables, soft savories, crackers, flavored spreads, sweets, cookies, tiny pastries. And a choice of water, juice or tea. Qui-Gon picked the easiest thing to start with, the tea. It was too sweet, but cold and felt good going down. He selected the plainest looking cracker that he could find and a bit of fruit next. Obi-Wan watched every bite.

Qui-Gon knew he had to look terrible. The stern, black medical droid on the planet had filled him up with nutrients and fluids and insisted that his symptoms were consistent with a quarter cycle of deprivation, not days. In spite of the

11. satanat_solo

satanat_solo Jedi Master star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    Lovely fic, you made me smile like a dork at my computer screen...[face_blush]

I especially liked the ending.. hee hee...:D
    Young obi-wan is cool...

12. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Aww, great ending, ardavenport! [face_love]

I loved how Obi helped Qui reconnect with the Force. [face_love] And that was funny how Qui flung pillows around the room to make sure he could still use it.

A Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him. In me it was stagnant. I was isolated. Or constipated, I suppose .? Qui-gon frowned. That was certainly an unpleasant metaphor. o_O

And I loved how Depa found them both still asleep at the end. Yes, Master Billaba thought to herself as she tucked her hands into her robe?s sleeves, it was a rare circumstance indeed when a Jedi master and his padawan were caught in such a peculiar pose. There would be a very, very interesting story behind this. [face_laugh]

I'm glad there's going to be an epilogue, I look forward to it! :D

13. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    satanat_solo: Lovely fic, you made me smile like a dork at my computer screen...

Well, that's what Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are for! :) :) :)

Bastet: And I loved how Depa found them both still asleep at the end.

The more formal and traditional these Jedi are, the more fun it is to see them with their hair down. Glad you liked it.

And now for just a little bit more of an ending....

.........<<? Epilogue ?>>.........

Qui-Gon Jinn placed his feet shoulder width apart and leaned his head back, his eyes closed. He breathed in very deeply. Then again, pushing the air noisily out from deep down in his lungs. He cleared his mind, continuing with his breathing exercise. The floor was smooth on his bare feet, but not cold. The room temperature was warm and comfortable even in the long, plain infirmary gown he wore. The lighting was annoyingly bright, even through his closed eyelids. But all infirmaries seemed to be lit that way, even in the Jedi Temple.

He?d woken up a short time ago in the Temple infirmary, very happy to find that he was quite capable of getting up, bathing and tending to his own hygiene on his own. The remaining weakness and achiness in his joints were attributed to his ?unusual cellular damage? that the medical droid spoke of. But beyond ?completely reversible?, Qui-Gon wasn?t interested in the details. He would have preferred to return to his own room to recuperate, but apparently his condition was unique enough to demand that he stay for a day in the infirmary.

The droid had told him that his Padawan had rested and then stayed with him until the Council and then the Archivists had demanded his attendance before Qui-Gon had woken up. Qui-Gon was glad for time to gather his own thoughts. the Council and Archivists would soon enough come for his report on what had happened.

He stood in the center of the small, sterile, private room. Standing straight, he slowly raised his arms out from his sides to assume a standing, meditative pose. He breathed deeply, aware of everything he felt. The very faint, low sound of the air circulators. The strange fatigue in his body, behind his eyes. The renewed strength in his limbs, the scratchiness at the back of his throat. He felt subtly weary, but not quite unwell, as if he might get a headache if he exerted himself.

The droid had explicitly told him that he was not to partake of any heavy exercise for the next three days before leaving him alone. Qui-Gon didn?t like that, but he would abide by it. He was quite certain that his Padawan would be given the same instructions and would enforce them. The stress on his body was considered to have been life threatening. But he mostly only saw that through the others around him.

He recalled waking, finding Master Billaba bending over him, Obi-Wan fretting behind her. He?d thought about telling his Padawan to calm himself, but the genuinely concerned expression on Depa Billaba face stopped him. She?d asked him if he wanted her to call for a medical capsule to take him into the Temple. That was when he?d decided that they must have landed on Coruscant already. He?d stared up at her. There had seemed to be a time gap between when she said something and when he understood it. He?d nodded.

When it came, along with two medical droids, they?d eased him into it and taken him off the ship. He?d closed his eyes and didn?t remember anything until he opened them again in the infirmary. He recognized the air; it was always a bit more lifeless than in the rest of the Temple. There was talk about him resting and he knew he?d already deduced that his body wanted sleep and if he was on Coruscant then there wasn?t be any reason for him not to. But there were voices, but not from the droid that gently removed his borrowed shirt and Obi-Wan?s robe. Medical droids were always very silent and well-oiled. Everyone else was making noise.

Qui-Gon remembered turning his head to see Master Yoda looking at him. Yoda had l

14. satanat_solo

satanat_solo Jedi Master star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    lovely lovely!

*sighs*

Obi-wan is so cute..:)

You captured yoda nicely as well.

?Hmmmmmmm,? rumbled low from Yoda?s throat and he lowered his long ears menacingly. But he didn?t say any more.

I could sooo see that! He really does do that with his ears! I hadn't noticed...

nice job.

15. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow great fantastic ending :) =D=

I wonder .. is this where Qui-Gon begins to ponder the exsistence of his consciousness after death? [face_thinking]

Be really great if you continued this more :p Would like to see Qui experimenting with it later....

16. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    What a delightful and intriguing story! I loved the uniqueness of this plot, the richness of your detail and the fullness of your characters. There were even bits of humor scattered here and there, with Qui-Gon wearing a robe much too small for him. :D But there were poignant moments too. Wonderful job! I'm very impressed.

17. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Ah - so that's how Qui-Gon started figuring out how to become one with the Force!

You have a wonderful way with words, ardavenport. And your concepts are always so interesting. I look forward to reading more!

- wolfie

18. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooh, great epilogue! [face_love]

Obi-Wan smiled back, but he did not get up from his seat on the edge of the couch. He stayed, his hand still resting over his Master?s, his blue eyes full of fondness and concern. And Qui-Gon though that he had a very smart Padawan. [face_love] Aawwwww! I love it! :D

Much to learn, Qui-Gon thought, closing his eyes.

I have much to learn.
    Hmmm... [face_thinking] I really like the idea that this is how he first starts to learn how to retain his consciousness in the Force without his body. Very nice tie-in there. [face_love]

Thanks for the great story, ardavenport! :D @};-

19. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    satanat_solo:
    lovely lovely!

*sighs*

Obi-wan is so cute..

You captured yoda nicely as well.

Obi-Wan is always cute. :) And even Yoda, in the right light. Glad you enjoyed it.

Layren:
    Wow great fantastic ending

I wonder .. is this where Qui-Gon begins to ponder the exsistence of his consciousness after death?

Be really great if you continued this more Would like to see Qui experimenting with it later....

Aaaaaaah, yes, I did sort of have that in mind. Qui-Gon had to have gotten interested in how he might continue on in the Force somehow. This is just one interpretation of that. I hadn't really thought of continuing on with this particular one thought; I'll have to think about that...[face_thinking]

maychorian:
    What a delightful and intriguing story! I loved the uniqueness of this plot, the richness of your detail and the fullness of your characters. There were even bits of humor scattered here and there, with Qui-Gon wearing a robe much too small for him. But there were poignant moments too. Wonderful job! I'm very impressed.

No matter how serious a story subject is, it's always good to have a little humor in it. That just happens anyway. Thanks for reading!

raisedbywolves:
    Ah - so that's how Qui-Gon started figuring out how to become one with the Force!

You have a wonderful way with words, ardavenport. And your concepts are always so interesting. I look forward to reading more!

Thanks! There isn't any more of this one. But I have other stories.

Bastet:
    I have much to learn. Hmmm... I really like the idea that this is how he first starts to learn how to retain his consciousness in the Force without his body. Very nice tie-in there.

Yeah, I it was just an idea I had that something had to get Qui-Gon started meditating about it. Glad you liked it.

20. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    ?Master? Are you well??

Qui-Gon nodded. ?Yes, thank-you Obi-Wan,? he said sincerely. ?I think am. For the first time in days it seems.? He sighed wearily and leaned back in the reclining chair, its cushions giving him only physical comfort. He?d been so very mistaken. He?d actually wondered if he might have attained a kind of oneness with the Force; the kind that no living being could ever achieve. No wonder Obi-Wan had sensed a deathly illness in him. He?d been using the Force to pull strength from the cells of his own body, but nowhere else. If he hadn?t stopped it, he would have been dead within a day. And then he really would have been one with the Force.

:eek: That was a close call!

I am certainly relieved that Obi-Wan found the way to help Qui-Gon before it was too late! [:D]

What an interesting set of outfits for Qui-Gon! ;)

Qui-Gon silently looked back at his Padawan, suddenly feeling like he was the person who wasn?t seeing. He?d always taught Obi-Wan to heed the moment and the living world around him. He?d always been strong in the Living Force. Now he felt compelled to go in a different direction.

But, please be careful, Qui-Gon! [face_praying]

I enjoyed this story, but can't help but wonder what would happen when Qui-Gon tries again... [face_mischief]

Star

21. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Very interesting piece! I guess this is when Qui starts researching how to keep your consciousness outside the body. Yoda is right though, it was foolish to try that so soon. I'm glad he has Obi there, though I feel bad for him trying to deal with Qui. The end was very sweet. [face_love]

Wonderful job!

22. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Star_Drifter: What an interesting set of outfits for Qui-Gon!

I enjoyed this story, but can't help but wonder what would happen when Qui-Gon tries again...

Glad you enjoyed it! Putting your favorite characters into odd clothes is just part of the fun of fanfiction. [face_mischief] And when he tries again, hopefully he won't get into too much trouble! And if he does, I like to think that he'll have Obi-Wan to 'spot' him.

Jedi_Tigris
    Very interesting piece! I guess this is when Qui starts researching how to keep your consciousness outside the body. Yoda is right though, it was foolish to try that so soon. I'm glad he has Obi there, though I feel bad for him trying to deal with Qui. The end was very sweet.

Thanks! The part about Qui-Gon returning from the Force was always a bit of a backstory hole in The Saga that fanfiction is perfect for filling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.