main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tatooine Messiah - A Dune / Star Wars crossover - updated 6/18

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Tatooine Messiah
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Anakin (Muad?Dib), Padmé, Obi-Wan
    Summary: A crossover between Dune and Star Wars.

Gina created this lovely cover for me. Thank you! [:D]

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/MamaVader/Dune2copy.jpg]

First, some words that may help you understand this story if you aren't familiar with Dune. These words and definitions were taken from the book Dune by Frank Herbert.

Battle language ? any special language of restricted etymology developed for clear-speech communication in warfare

Bene Gesserit- the ancient school of mental and physical training established primarily for female students after the Butlerian Jihad destroyed the so-called ?thinking machines? and robots.

Coriolis storm ? any major sandstorm on Arrakis

Crysknife- the sacred knife of the Fremen on Arrakis. It is manufactured in two forms from teeth taken from dead sandworms.

Fedaykin- Fremen death commandos; historically a group that is formed and pledged to give their lives to right a wrong.

Fremen ? the free tribes of Arrakis, dwellers in the desert.

Gom jabbar ? the high handed enemy; that specific poison needle tipped with meta-cyanide used by Bene Gesserit Proctors in the death-alternative test of human awareness

Jihad ? religious crusade; fanatical crusade

Kull Wahad ? ?I am profoundly stirred!? A sincere exclamation of surprise common in the Imperium.

Kwisatz Haderach ? ?Shortening of the Way.? This is the label applied by the Bene Gesserit to the unknown for which they sought a genetic solution: a male Bene Gesserit whose organic mental powers would bridge space and time.

Mahdi ? in the Fremen messianic legend, ?The One Who Will Lead Us to Paradise.?

Muad?Dib ? the adapted kangaroo mouse of Arrakis, a creature associated in the Fremen earth-spirit mythology with a design visible on the planet?s second moon. This creature is admired by Fremen for its ability to survive in the open desert.

Naib ? one who has sworn never to be taken alive by the enemy; traditional oath of a Fremen leader.

Ornithopter ? any aircraft capable of sustained wing-beat flight in the manner of birds. Commonly called ?thopter.

Sardaukar ? the soldier fanatics of the Padishah Emperor

Shai-Hulud ? Sandworm of Arrakis, the ?Old Man of the Desert,? ?Old Father Eternity,? and ?Grandfather of the Desert.?

Shaitan ? Satan

Sietch ? (Fremen) ?Place of assembly in times of danger.? Because the Fremen lived so long in peril, the term came by general usage to designate any cave warren inhabited by one of their tribal communites.

Sihaya ? (Fremen) the desert springtime with religious overtones implying the time of fruitfulness and ?the paradise to come.?

Stillsuit ? body-enclosing garment invented on Arrakis. Its fabric is a micro-sandwich fabric designed to reclaim as potable water the ambient moisture discharged within it by the breath of its occupants

Usul- (Fremen) ?The base of the pillar.?

[b]Tatooine Messiah [/b]

[i]?I was chosen? Perhaps at birth?certainly before I had much say in it. I was chosen.? Frank Herbert, [u]Dune Messiah[/u] [/i]

He had come to realize that to know the future was a terrible burden. He had been born a creature of prophecy, his very existence foretold in a past so distant that even he could not see it. He was the Chosen One, the one the witches had dreamed of and the Jedi had claimed. He knew he had proven to be far less, and far more, than any of them expected.

With a sigh, the man who had once been Anakin Skywalker closed his eyes and let the winds of his capital city whip his cloak about him. The fierce desert winds kicked up sand that blasted at his face and hands, though pain meant little to him anymore. Pain was his constant companion, and he found it almost comforting in its familiarity.

Behind h

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, I haven't been this excited for a crossover since Not All Who Wander are Lost! Great, intriguing start!

3. nightt_owll

nightt_owll Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    I have to admitt that I really hate Dune with a passion! I always found it depressing, so please don't take it personally if I don't reply agian to this story. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with Dune.

Even though Dune is not my favorite, I just had to reply and tell you what a beautifully written post this is, and that you did a wonderful job of intertwining the two worlds. I can easily picture Anakin standing their on Arrakis with his freeman guards behind him. You did a great job of capturing the essence of Dune while maintaining a star wars component.

Again, really beautiful!

4. ColdWarrior

ColdWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2004
    Wonderful job blending the two paradigms here. I am a Dune lover as well as a Star Wars lover, so this is great. Looking forward to seeing where you take this. I sure hope you write professionally, because your writing is terrific.

5. Galactic_Girl

Galactic_Girl Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    Ooh, I am liking this so far. Never really got into Dune, but I am willing to bend and give it a shot for this. :D

Intriguing start you have here, Mama Vader. =D=

6. Entilzah

Entilzah Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    My first thought: Dang. Another cross over. Next!

My second thought: Hmm... Dune/Star Wars, Arrakis/Tatooine, Kwizach Haderach/Chosen One, Seeing the Future.... maybe this deserves a glance. This could work.

My third though: Oh, VaderLVR64 is doing it... this should be interesting.

So I read it.

My fourth thought: so which one of your other stories should suffer to make you write this one faster!

An excellent amalgamation with the beginning of characters that are up to your usual standards: utterly compelling and believable. I especially like the Anakin/Padme interaction over Luke. The hardness/compassion of Anakin's heart when confronted with an unsolvable delimma of Luke's impending death.

As you can probably suspect, I am eagerly awaiting your next installment.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, what a most lovely crossover. Your writing fits them in so perfectly. I feel for all the characters, the stoism of Anakin. How can anyone think to know the future a gift? Padme's ache at losing her children and anger at her husband's not telling her of her son's fate before hand, though he was very right in his reasonings.

Even Obi-Wan's tear shed was so haunting.

MIght I ask to be PM'd when you do update?

8. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *wipes away a tear* How tragic, both twins are dead now... :( :_|

Mama Vader, this is an excellent beginning! I will admit I never really got into Dune beyond the TV movie miniseries and reading Dune Messiah, but I'm still very intrigued! Especially since I saw you writing it! :) [:D]

So Anakin told Obi-Wan that it was not Luke's task to bring out the good in him... [face_thinking] Whose task is it, then? Perhaps another child of Anakin and Padmé? Interesting...

Again, great job! Can't wait for more! :) :)

AQ

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    DarthIshtar Thanks! :D

nightt_owll I understand, my own kids HATE Dune! :p But thanks for giving this a read anyway! :D

ColdWarrior I appreciate your kind words. I don't make my living writing, though I used to teach English. Does that count? :p

Galactic_Girl Thank you! [:D] I hope I can keep your interest.

Entilzah I admit, I'm not a big crossover reader myself. [face_blush] But there did seem to be a great many parallels in these two universes so I'm going to give a go! [face_batting]

Healer_Leona But of course, oh fearless leader! :D

AngelQueen I'm one of those crazy people who has read every book about six or seven times. :p We'll see how this goes, as this is my very first attempt at any sort of in-depth crossover. Here's hoping it works! [face_praying]

10. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I love Dune! Love Paul/Muad-Dib and her I have an Anakin/Muad-Dib. This should be excellent!

11. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    To quote the emperor Paul Muad?dib on his ascension to the Lion Throne, "Once more the drama begins." ;)

Geeze mamavader you sure have a thing for killing off Luke and the unnamed daughter lately? :p

Wonderful beginning and it?s gotten too much to keep up with all your brilliant stories, so could you please PM me when you update? Thanks!

=D=

12. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Ooh, interesting beginning. I always liked Dune, so I'm eagerly anticipating what you've got for us next!

jazz

13. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Ooo, very interesting! I liked the part about not hiding his durasteel hand just as Paul didn't accept artificial eyes. All the parallels are really well done.

His arms wrapped around her tightly, as if he could take all of her pain into his own soul and free her of the awful burden. When he spoke, his voice was no more than a rough whisper of sound. ?How could I deny you a mother?s hope?? he asked. He tilted up her chin so that she could see the pain of the unbearable choice he had had to make. ?Without hope, the heart dies, my love.? His tone was tender, and then he bent down and caught her tears on his tongue. He drank up her grief and bitterness, took it into himself. This is so sad. :_|

14. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    Oh wow. This one's exciting. Tatooine and Dune always reminded me of each other. Looking forward to see where this is going....

15. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Very nice. You've not only pulled me out of Beyond, but into a crossover, no less! :D (Dune is my second-favorite fandom, hehe) I'll be watching this one!

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Golden_Jedi Yeah, I love Dune, too! [face_love]

Yodan I don't! I don't kill off the kids. Okay...maybe a few times. :p And I saw that quote in the book too. ;)

Jazz_Skywalker Thank you! :D This story is threatening to take over my waking moments.

Lovely-in-Orange It's different writing him as Maud'Dib and yet still Anakin. 8-}

-Erela- They DO have some similarities, don't they?

Eleventh_Guard Uh oh, the world is ending! [face_worried] But thanks for checking this out! :)

17. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    :eek: Wow!!

You know my story with Dune, but to say I'm hooked would be an understatement! I know I've said this many times before, but I am in awe of your talent, K! :D

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Gina If you get confused, just PM me! :p And thanks for reading something WAY outside your usual genre!

[b]Chapter 2 [/b]

[i]?What do we need from our dead except their water?? Frank Herbert, [u]Dune Messiah[/u] [/i]

Padmé had protested the ancient ritual of the Fremen. When they came to take Luke?s body to the deathstill, she had wailed and screamed, her fists beating her fury upon his back as he handed over the tiny, wrapped body. [i]Muad?Dib[/i] understood the necessity of it, but Anakin felt his heart break. For just a moment, he experienced a longing for Obi-Wan?s calming presence at his side, for the old days when he had lived in the Jedi Temple that stood in ruins, a reminder of his own arrogance and the pleasant face that evil can wear.

Now they stood side-by-side, his hand linked with hers, trying to give comfort where none could be given. His Fedaykin had gathered to pay their last respects to their leader?s son. Even those hard desert men glanced at their Emperor with curious eyes, wondering at his composure. To lose a son was a bitter thing, to lose an heir an even greater blow. The Emperor, however, was dry-eyed and calm while his wife gave her water freely to her dead son. They understood even as they disdained her ways.

?The friends of Luke will approach,? a voice called. It was Stilgar who spoke the old words, for he was the one the Emperor trusted the most among his beloved Fremen. Stilgar was Muad?Dib?s blade, the killing edge of the weapon that was Muad?Dib. He had taken this most sacred and solemn duty on at his Emperor?s request. Stilgar was ever faithful, Anakin mused.

?The spirit leaves the body?s water when the first moon rises. Thus it is spoken,? Stilgar said. ?When we see the first moon rise this night, whom will it summon??

?Luke.? Their voices rose as one. Anakin could hear Padmé?s voice break on the sound of their son?s name.

A tiny collection of Luke?s belongings was gathered into a heap at Stilgar?s feet. The medic stepped forward first. ?I was a friend of Luke,? she said in a tight voice as she reached for a book the boy had loved. ?He taught me to care.?

A huge figure stepped forth, one of the Fedaykin. ?I was a friend of Luke,? he rasped in a voice heavy with grief. Then he reached down and took a wooden ?thopter he had carved for the baby. ?I would have died for him.?

So it went, those who had known the infant stepping forward and claiming a bit of him. Padmé?s hand tightened on his as each item disappeared in a Fremen hand, until at the end her knuckles shone white and his own hand ached with the pressure. Then it was over and Luke?s water returned to his tribe, as was right.

The last of Luke Skywalker was gone.

Anakin took Padmé back to their chambers and watched as she listlessly removed her ceremonial garments of green, the color of mourning. She shrugged on a pale blue gown and sat down in front of her mirror. Padmé brushed her hair, her movements those of an automaton. He stood by helplessly, longing to share her grief, to feel [i]something[/i], but unable to do so. His gift came with a curse and it numbed him.

Something fell in between them, a wall born of his strangeness, a thing he could not help or alter.

?Padmé?? he asked quietly.

Her hand hesitated for a moment, but then the steady rhythm of the brush continued relentlessly. ?Padmé?? he repeated more loudly, a sharp edge of frustration sliding along the sound. She flinched slightly and then he felt the fury explode within her.

Slamming the brush down, she turned to him, her lips thin and hard, and her eyes narrow. ?What? What can you possibly say to me that might make me feel any better?? She grabbed a bottle of perfume from her vanity and threw it at him. He ducked out of the way without thinking. ?Can the great Muad?Dib bring our son back from the dead? Would he even try?? All of the bitterness that was inside of her poured out in the torrent of her words. When she was done, she slumped in her chair, seemingly emptied of everyth

19. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *lip trembles* :_| :_| Padmé's grief is so heart-rending, Mama Vader! :( I'm glad the Fremen understand it, even though they do not seem to like her overly much. I wonder why. Is it because she is an outsider and not really one of them?

It's strange, but I rather think Padmé bears elements of both Chani and Irulan in her character. Anakin loves her with all his heart, and she him, and yet she can only ever be a small footnote in the destiny that has bound itself to him. She can never fully understand what it is that he sees when he looks off into the horizon. :(

And just what does Anakin See in their future? He has promised that they will have a child who will rule the Empire when they are gone, but will Padmé even live to see this child, boy or girl? Will she die in childbirth, as she originally did and as Chani did?

Excellent update! :) =D= =D= :D

AQ

20. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    ?I was a friend of Luke,?

:_|

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    ?I was a friend of Luke,? he rasped in a voice heavy with grief. Then he reached down and took a wooden ?thopter he had carved for the baby. *sniff, sniff*

Oh my love, if only you could be spared what I have seen!

ohhh, you fit these characters so perfectly into the story. I didn't think these two could be any more tragic then what they were.

22. Darth_Tequila

Darth_Tequila Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    Hello,

All I know of Dune is from the Sci-Fi mini series. Never read the books or seen the older 1980's movie. But, I can follow this easily and the themes between life on both planets really line up well.

Good Job!

DT

23. Galactic_Girl

Galactic_Girl Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    So sad about Luke!! :_| But you've managed to keep my interest. ;) Perhaps I should have paid more attention to Dune :oops:

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    AngelQueen They don't dislike her, she's just out of their realm of understanding.

Golden_Jedi The Fremen funeral ritual is stark and simple, but touching.

Healer_Leona Their stories have a lot of parallels, don't they?

Darth_Tequila Thanks! :D

Galactic_Girl I'm flattered!

25. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    My heart broke for Padme, and Anakin, too, is grieving in his own way.

?Would that I could find it for myself.?

:_| :_|

Excellent, K!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.