main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga --Obi-Wan, once thought as you do-- {Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon (voice), Vader} (Post 3 of 3) Completed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by darksideyesplease, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Okay, this was only going to be a vignette then I decided it needed to be longer so I've decided to make it three posts. This story idea came to me from Vader's line in ROTJ "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." Oh really? He did? Well he never showed that in ROTS, so this takes place 10 months after Obi-Wan arrives on Tatoonie and it also references - James Luceno's new Dark Lord book, describing Darth Vader's rise to the true power of the dark side. If you have not read the book the last chapter features Obi-Wan and his discovery that Darth Vader is still alive after he believed he had killed him on Mustafar. Also during the three posts there will be MANY tie in's to original lines from the OT, not just the ROTJ line spoken by Vader but that's the main point of the story. Although this obviously never happened in the Star Wars Universe, I believe that it COULD have happened and the movies might even make a little more sense. Like I said it's only 10 months so anything that happens could still put this into a canon-type story. Hope this is enjoyable, I think it's the best canon idea I've ever had.

Post 1 of 3

Former Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan Kenobi sat in his modest Tatoonie-style hut as he fidgeted with a small transistor he picked up from a local junk shop.

It had been ten months since he had been in the unpopulated cantina that day. He had been there to watch young Luke with his new family without them knowing he was observing.

That was the moment he had heard the two week old news finally come through on the holonet station of Tatoonie?s meek news service. The news that a man by the name of Darth Vader who was close to the former Chancellor and now Emperor of the galaxy was scene arriving in Coruscant.

Obi-Wan had nearly choked on the beverage when he heard the news. His reaction caught the attention of a few in the cantina before a man was somewhat able to stifle him.

It can?t be.

He had told himself that everyday for the last ten months. How could Anakin? Vader have survived? He had gruesomely chopped his former apprentice into nothing more than a cripple and then watched him burn alive on the shores of Mustafar. The pain, the agony Vader physically went through.

Obi-Wan also knew that Vader must know the truth, that his wife was dead as well. Adding the mental anguish to his disfigured form. The former defender of the galaxy knew that Vader?s hatred was strong and his faith in the dark side was cemented.

His brain told him this much. But his heart told him something else. The dying words of Senator Amidala crept back into his mind. ?There is good in him. I know this? I know this still.?

Having no contact with Master Yoda he could only assume the diminutive ex-council member would put down his thoughts. He would certainly speak of using the force, using your mind and not relying on your heart.

After all, Vader allowed attachments of the heart to interfere and in that moment he became naïve. He became a pupil of the dark lord. Lies? No matter how foolish they seem and easily detectable to others, when you want to believe them, you will.

Obi-Wan scoffed. "Why do I even try?"

He gave up on the transistor for now. His hopes were that somehow he could pick up a signal from space that would get news sooner to him than he could receive on the local holonet. Tatoonie?s distance from any technology driven planet made it nearly impossible. Yet, Obi-Wan tried for hours on end having not much else to occupy his time.

He had also bought a small satellite to boost the transistors range but like most things bought on Tatoonie, it left much to be desired.

Even if Obi-Wan knew where Vader was at this moment, he didn?t know what he could do about it. The lack of knowledge is what kept him driven though. Even if there was nothing he could do, somehow he needed to stay in touch with what was going on in the galaxy. Living as a hermit was quite a lifestyle change from living from planet to planet on missions or in the Jedi Temple.

2. jmsbndgrl

jmsbndgrl Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    I saw this fic and I saw that it had Obi-Wan in it, so it automatically caught my interest. :p Then I saw it was written by you, so then I had to read it. :p

Very good insight into Obi-Wan's thoughts after his breakdown at the end of the Dark Lord book, I am looking forward to finding out what is going to happen next. Is he going to go after Vader? What will happen if he meets him again? Great start.

On a less serious note...

I volunteer to keep him company! :p [face_love] :p

3. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Nice.

Looking forward to the rest.

Keep up the good work.

:D

4. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Wonderful!

More please. :)

5. Terra_Wan_Kenobi

Terra_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    Poor Obi-Wan... Update soon,please...

6. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh this looks like it's gonna be interesting.. plz pm me when next part is up! :D

7. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Ah, Obi and Qui always a good combination :D ...

Interesting start - I look forward to reading more!

8. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Good plausible premise. I like this plot I look forward to the next post. If you are Pm ing please add me to the list.

9. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Good start, dearest. Obi-Wan is really beating himself up over this.

10. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Oh Wow, I really like this. That line has been bugging me too so I am glad you decided to write this! I look forward to more.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oooh, a stellar start with this. I'm almost surprised that Qui-Gon wouldn't think it possible for Anaking to come back to the lightside... but perhaps he hasn't sunk low enough.

Any chance you'll send out PM updates? I'd like to be added to the list please. :)

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    ?Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answer?? Qui-Gon retorted.

?You?re not helping.? Obi-Wan replied.

Wonderful beginning and I'm very interested in more.

13. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    This is great so far, I love looking into Obi-Wan's head like that. I can't wait to see more, keep up the good work! =D= =D=

14. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Wow, I must say I'm overwhelmed by all the new faces I've seen reply to this story, I am flabbergasted.

jmsbndgrl - Yes, he is going to find Vader and I think it will be more than interesting. And I know you'd keep Obi-Wan company, heh.

hyperspace_police - Thanks so much for reading and replying, it's appreciated.

kenobiwanobi - More coming soon! I promise

Terra_Wan_Kenobi
    - Thanks, I will.

Veloz - I will be sure to PM you, thanks for reading.

Kestrel_Kenobi - I like Qui-Gon, I don't write him enough. Glad you decided to take a look at this.

obsessedwithSW - I will certainly PM you, thanks for the kind words.

FelsGoddess - Thanks honey, I gotta talk to you later, I had like 8 dreams about you last night. [face_blush]

kateydidnt - I was just watching ROTJ again the other night and finally it stuck out to me like a sore thumb, more than any other line from the OT. I also hope to tie in other lines from the OT to make them seem even more viable. Including Obi-Wan's line in ANH "It's a Space Station."

Healer_Leona - I wouldn't say that Qui-Gon doesn't feel Anakin can't be turned back but he knows it's unlikely at this point so soon after the death of Padme. Qui-Gon has more of an understanding why Vader turned to the dark side, while Obi-Wan is kind of in the dark still as to why he made his choice. Obi-Wan will have it explained to him... Just not by Qui-Gon. And Qui-Gon is thinking that once Obi-Wan is unable to turn him that he could very possibly be killed by Vader, seeing as how it will be basically a home field advantage for Vader no matter where they meet, because of the Empire. Qui-Gon's main thoughts are for Luke and Obi-Wan needing to be there for him years later. So his negativety is almost a way to try to talk Obi-Wan out of what he's doing but in a way, he offered to tell him where Vader was, so he does sorta want Obi-Wan to try himself, even though it's against his better judgment. And I can definately send you a PM.

DarthIshtar - Thanks Ish, glad you decided to stop in and look, more coming this week!

LilyHobbitJedi - I will certainly try to keep up the good work. I'm going to focus on making the next chapter as good as I can because the 3rd post will be explosive, while the 2nd one contains a lot more side information to explain things then towards the end gets a little more interesting and emotional.

I'd like to thank all the new faces that I don't normally see popping into my threads. This is definately a different kind of story for me though, as I usually dabble in major AU stories. Also glad to see a few of my normal readers in here too. Thanks so much!!! Look for the update on Thursday or so and for those who asked for PM's i'll be more than happy to send those out.

15. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I really like that Obi-Wan is so determined to try and get Vader to turn back - that's so true to his character.

Excellent job on this - I look forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

16. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    ?Tell me, Master. Tell me where to go; I have to try.?

So much emotion packed into those sentences.

Excellent start. Looking forward to more! :D

17. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    KELIA - Thanks, glad that I was able to keep him somewhat in character, although I feel he had a slight breakdown after hearing Vader was still alive, so he's kinda recovering.

Gina If you think those lines held a lot of emotion and meaning, wait until you see what I have planned to end this little story, I think it's truly magical.

I've begun the 2nd post but I'm taking my time on it. Look for it on thursday or friday, thanks for all the wonderful replies!

18. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Post 2 of 3

Obi-Wan stood outside in the sweltering heat of Mos Eisley Spaceport. His tunic and cloak did more harm than good against the violent rays of the twin suns that Tatoonie revolved around.

He had to remain unseen though. He never knew who or what might be watching him from a distance. As a Jedi he had always had a niche for espionage and remaining undetected.

Quickly he strode through the corridor which behind many doors held hangar?s for the pilot?s who came to this planet. Many were pirates or smugglers of some sort. Not all were bad folk, Obi-Wan had come to discover. Some were just trying to get by, support their families the only way they knew how.

A large sum of currency had been given to the former Knight by the Organa family. In many instances he found it to be of little use on the desolate planet. Assuming that he was putting himself in a great deal of danger he would offer to rent a pilot?s ship instead of asking for passage to his destination.

Of course for a pilot to lend out his livelihood to a man they did not know, it would take a little something extra, that is why he was more than willing to give up the almost worthless currency. Perhaps someone would take it to a distant world that it could be used on.

Darth Vader, Sith Lord and iron fist of the Empire kneeled down as he began to transmit a holographic image to his master.

Soon, the Emperor?s face could be seen in an overly large distortion of transparent blue.

?Yes, Lord Vader? What is it?? The Emperor quickly spoke.

?I have felt a disturbance in the force. I feel Obi-Wan Kenobi comes to seek me out.?

Darth Sidious remained quiet for a moment as he formulated a plan inside his head.

?You must remain on your star destroyer. Let him come. When he arrives, he will be no match for your new powers and your fine legion of troops. I trust you have learned much from your experience on Mustafar.?

?I feel that he does not come to battle. I believe he wants something else.?

?Oh yes.? Sidious let out a small cackle. ?He wishes to make you see the light. His plan is to turn you back to the ways of the old and outdated Jedi religion. He still holds true that the prophecy of the Chosen One is real. You must know that to be a farce, my friend.?

Vader fought his inner feelings before responding. ?Yes, Master.?

?Your destiny has and always will lie with the dark side of the force? With power. You were more than generous to Obi-Wan on Mustafar. I know you would have gone against my wishes and brought Obi-Wan into the Empire if he would have obliged. Now you must realize that Kenobi is a fool, just as the rest were. Know the dark side, Lord Vader. Gain your vengeance. Take from Obi-Wan what he has taken from you. Take his arms, take his legs, and take his? life!?

It took a little more convincing than Kenobi had thought possible and a little force persuasion but he was able to find himself a ship. A ship he was uncertain if he would be able to return in one piece. For that matter, he wasn?t sure if he would return in one piece or at all.

Through the force, Qui-Gon had told Kenobi, Vader?s location.

Qui-Gon had given him one last warning before parting ways. ?You realize, if you face him, I cannot interfere. For if he hears my voice or feels my presence this secret which I hold will be told. The Dark Lord would like nothing more than to know the true way to immortality.?

Obi-Wan understood but it was not to stop him. He must move on and push forward.

As the ship brought him closer to his destination in the death of space, Obi-Wan knew Vader awaited him aboard his generously proportioned and fully crewed vessel.

He swallowed hard as he took the ship out of hyperspace. It sent a cold shiver up his spine to know that even on the side of the dark taint, Vader and himself still held their force bond when in close enough proximity.

To have such a gift or as it would seem, curse with such evil, made Obi-Wan?s stomach churn.

I mustn?t thin

19. jmsbndgrl

jmsbndgrl Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Oooo...a fight. Poor Vader, he really needs to listen to his former Master. *sighs* Such a pity. At least Luke will eventually knock some sense into him.

I'm glad Obi-Wan "finished" his job with Cody, but if he had "finished" his job on Mustafar, that would not have guaranteed the destruction of the Empire because Yoda failed. So although you have to question Obi-Wan's motives for letting Anakin suffer, in the end it was probably better that way.

20. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Why have you come? Was it not enough for you to leave me crippled? To burn me alive and leave me for dead?? Vader turned sharply to stare into Obi-Wan?s eyes.

Anakin/Vader is too emotional to see past his pain, Obi Wan cant redeem him. The duel on Mustafar was the breaking point of thier relationship, nothing Obi Wan could say now who sway Vader

You used her Kenobi. I know this now. It was you who stowed away on her ship. Oh yes, I have seen this. The dark side is more powerful than you thought. I know all the truths now. If it were not for you evoking my anger, Padmé would have never been harmed.? Vader explained.

The darkside is a twisted version of the truth. Vader was delusional until Luke?s pure love made Vader choose.
    Good Post!

21. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    ?I did all of this to save her and I wasn?t strong enough. Just as I wasn?t strong enough to save my mother. Just as I was not strong enough to defeat you.? Vader?s head rose to meet Kenobi?s staring eyes. Almost had him there.

Whoa dang. This is going to be interesting to see. I'm curious to how you are going to end the fight. Great job, dearest.

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A large sum of currency had been given top the former Knight by the Organa family... now that really makes a lot of sense! Hmmm, don't care that Sidious is so confident about keeping Vader on the darkside.

Oh dear, and Qui-Gon cannot help Obi-Wan either?? While the reasons again makes sense, I feel bad that Obi-Wan shall be doing this alone. Haha! Obi-Wan's a tricky one! :D :D And he faces Cody?? Arrghh!!! A most exciting post! :) :)

23. Pyxelle

Pyxelle Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    I really like this! The premise is great...I, like others reading this, wondered if Obi-Wan had ever tried to reach Anakin after Mustafar...considering that one throw-away line.

Cody...that was a neat twist. Wasn't expecting that.

You did very well with the Emperor's dialogue style, too. It sounded very much like what he would say. "Take from him what he has taken from you..." Strong work.

Kudos,

Pyxelle

24. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Tnx for the pm! :D

This was a great update![face_dancing]

I truly believe Vader would have eventually destroyed Padme, cause there's no way in hell she would have come around to his ideas.. the Cody appearance was great! i wasnt expecting that one.

Cant wait for the next chapter!

=D=

25. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    jmsbndgrl - Yeah, you are right, things went as they had to in the end of course Obi-Wan doesn't have that much vision to know that, so he finished Cody off, not only for the good of the galaxy, but to take him out of his misery too.

obsessedwithSW - Vader's version of the truth is definately twisted no doubts there.

FelsGoddess - The end will be, terrrrific.

Healer_Leona
    - He has to be confident, at least when he talks to Vader, otherwise Vader will think he is weak. I would believe. Qui can't help, I tried to explain lots of things that you kinda wonder about in the movie, not just the one line the story is named after, so I made Qui-Gon explain it a little further unlike Obi-Wan who told Luke he just couldn't help.

Pyxelle - Thanks for the compliment. I do believe within canon this is the best idea I've ever had. whether something like this happened or not, I guess we can speculate but I wouldn't put it past Obi-Wan. I know Palps character probably better than any other character and write him better than any other character I do, so I'm glad it was good.

Veloz - Cody wasn't planned but I thought it would be a nice twist as I was writing it and it would make the fight mean something, and atleast Obi-Wan gets to kick someone's butt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.