main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends First Kill- Killing is never an easy thing to do, especially for a Jedi Padawan. [Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Aelan_Greenleaf, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aelan_Greenleaf

Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Title: First Kill
    Author: Aelan Greenleaf
    Rating: PG, K+
    Category: Drama
    Summary: Killing is never an easy thing to do, especially for a Jedi Padawan. [Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon vignette]

First Kill

He'd been sitting here for ages, silent and numb, unseeing and yet taking in everything. Some part of him knew that it was shock that held him now, that numbed his senses but did not dull his mind. Shock of what he had done, of the atrocity he had committed. Shock that had pierced his heart.

It had happened so very fast, even by the standards of a Jedi. It hadn't been an accident; he'd known from the beginning that it would end like this, it had been conscious and deliberate thought that had seen him through. Spur of the moment, he had been confident and sure, believing that what he was doing was what was good and right and true.

Now though, as the tears slid slowly and quietly down his cheeks, he honestly did not know what to believe.

[i]It was escalating too fast, too quickly. The man was clearly unbalanced, delusional and confused. Obi-Wan wanted nothing more than to calm him down, to protect the frightened bystanders trapped between the man and the room's only exit.

"Please, sir," soothed Obi-Wan, imposing more than just a little Jedi will into his words, "Just sit down. I'm sure we can sort this all out."

Whatever the man might have been, it wasn't stupid. Obi-Wan's suggestions bounced right off the other and did absolutely nothing. Time for another strategy.

The teenaged Padawan straightened himself, drawing himself up, hoping that he might look taller than he actually was. 'Sir, just let these people leave. There's no harm in doing that, and then after we can discuss your problems with the government." Involuntarily, Obi-Wan cringed, knowing that the word 'problem' might not help at all.

His suspicions were correct, and the man's eyes burned fiercly as he glared at the young Jedi. "Problems? Problems? Look, Jedi, you're just another pawn! You're just another piece in the grand conspiracy!" His arms were flailing wildly, and from the corner of his eye, Obi-Wan could see a young boy clutching his mother's hand whimper in fear.

"How about I buy you a drink, sir, and we can talk all about the 'conspiracy'." Obi-Wan tried to offer a comforting smile, but the confidence and bravado that had first fueled his mediation with the man had all but run out. The sensation of anxiety began to creep up his spine, and he wondered what exactly he'd gotten himself into.

"Look, friend, all we want is to leave!" An emerald Rodian in the back of the hall called out, frustration and the beginnings of an irrational fear evident in his face and eyes.

Obi-Wan knew now that the situation had begun much more dangerous. If the man didn't move, if he continued to block the exit and rave of conspiracy theories against the Republic, the rest of the room's occupants would grow angry and afraid, and could possibly start a riot. The young Jedi was not prepared to let that happen.

"Sir," he began, more forceful now, trying to ignore the anxiety that had now lodged itself deep within him, making him shake slightly, nervous. "Sir, please step away from the door."

There was something deranged now in his eyes, as the man paced in front of the single exit. "Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you, Jedi?'

"Please." said Obi-Wan, simply and softly, hoping against hope that some sort of rationality was still within the other human.

"No.' breathed the man, and in a single second of madness, he drew out a Type IV blaster, pointing it straight at the sobbing child. The man laughed, and Obi-Wan tried to ignore the latent fear at the back of his mind.

"Drop the blaster." Obi-Wan just wanted to go now; he wanted nothing more for that man to drop the weapon, to let everything be.

"No!" screamed the man, and as he started to pull the trigger, Obi-Wan moved forwards, pushing the man to the side and deflecting the shot up into the ceiling. They scrambled on the floor, the other human much larg

2. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Awwww poor Obi.
    :_|
    This was very nice, great job!=D=

May the Force be with you and may fate be kind to you.[face_peace]

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    This was such a good little story, I loved the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Excellent job! =D= =D=

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ohh, very nicely done Aelan. :)

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautiful work! =D=

6. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aww, that was such a great viggie, Aelan_Greenleaf! [face_love]

Poor Obi-Wan. :( I'm so glad Qui was there to help him feel better.

Thanks for sharing! @};-

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, such a nice story.

I especially like, "Sometimes, Obi-Wan, a Jedi must make those hard choices. Sometimes, my dear Padawan, you will have to draw your lightsaber with the intent to kill. It is one of the most difficult things in our lives, Obi-Wan, but the choice must still be made."

The young apprentice nodded, knowing rationally that what he said was the truth, but irrationally, still feeling the raw, overwhelming pain. "It hurts, master." he whispered, not caring if it sounded weak or pitiful or soft.

Qui-Gon reached a comforting hand across to his Padawan, bridging the gap between them. "I know, Obi-Wan, but it is that that makes you great. It is that pain that makes you a Jedi."

Very, very nice.

8. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    I really enjoyed this.

The young apprentice nodded, knowing rationally that what he said was the truth, but irrationally, still feeling the raw, overwhelming pain. "It hurts, master." he whispered, not caring if it sounded weak or pitiful or soft.

Qui-Gon reached a comforting hand across to his Padawan, bridging the gap between them. "I know, Obi-Wan, but it is that that makes you great. It is that pain that makes you a Jedi."

Lovely - loved how you wrote Qui/Obi's relationship.

=D=

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwwww, that was so sad!

:_| :_| :_| :_|

You did a great job capturing Obi-Wan's remorse.

Bravo

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Force-sensitiveLyn23

Force-sensitiveLyn23 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 27, 2005
    Wonderful realtionship between Qui and Obi. IT was very good!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    lovely work.

i could be wrong, but this seems to be a topic that's rarely covered and you did it admirably with sensitivity.
    you put the tumultous emotions Obi went through so clearly into words.

=D=

12. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    kenobiwanobi: Oh, thank you so much! And yes, I feel bad for poor Obi too... :_|

LilyHobbitJedi: Thanks! I'm glad you liked their relationship; I tried to make it as dynamic and true to the JA universe as possible.

Healer Leona: Thanks! I love getting your reviews! :D

VaderLVR64: Oh thank you! :D

Bastet: Sometimes that Qui can be good for something... :p Thank you for reading!

Valairy_Scot: Thank you so much for your review!

Kestrel-Kenobi: Thanks- I love writing Obi/Qui's relationship. :)

KELIA: Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Force-sensitiveLyn23: Thanks! :D

Jennifer_Lyn: Thank you! I agree; there is a lack in this type of story, so I decided to fill it up a bit! :D

13. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    You dealt with this topic beautifully. I've wondered about how hard that must be. I imagine the Jedi being taught to respect all live deeply, yet the nature of their position requires that sometimes they take it. And they're probably fairly young when they encounter this tough reality. The characterizations were wonderful.

14. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

It was brilliant
    Qui-Gons words to a distraught Obi-wan were
    comforting and realistic.

Lovely piece.=D=

15. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004

Obi-Wan is a great Jedi; it's nice to see an occasion when his master can tell him so when he needs it, even if it is a very sad and traumatic event.

16. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    "Sometimes, Obi-Wan, a Jedi must make those hard choices. Sometimes, my dear Padawan, you will have to draw your lightsaber with the intent to kill. It is one of the most difficult things in our lives, Obi-Wan, but the choice must still be made."

If you feel bad now, Obi-Wan, how much worse would you be feeling if you had let him kill an innocent child! You did what you had to do to save the lives of those trapped in that room. :(

Good job! =D=

Star

17. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I liked this. You captured Obi-Wan's guilt well and Qui-Gon's actions seemed exactly right. Well done. =D=

18. Aelan_Greenleaf

May 20, 2005
    Ara-gon: Thank you very much. :) I've always wondered about how an individual who has grown up learning to appreciate life would deal with bringing death.

Gilkenny: Thanks! I'm glad you found it realistic. :)

ardavenport: Obi-Wan is a fantastic Jedi; he does deserve recognition! :p Thanks for the review!

Star-Drifter: Exactly! And I bet Obi-Wan would have never forgiven himself if the boy had been killed... thank you for reading!

Indra: Thank you! I always try to get the characterizations right! :)

19. NILOC

NILOC Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2006
    Cool story.
    =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.