main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga From Within the Shadows [Padme, Bail, Qui-Gon & OCs] Canto I, Pt IV (4/13) Updated!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMasterRev, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Title: From Within the Shadows
    Author: JediMasterRev
    Timeframe: Inter-trilogy to RotJ
    Characters: Padme Amidala, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker and a cast of OCs.
    Genre: Drama, Angst, Romance and Action
    Keywords: AU
    Disclaimer: Everything belongs to the great flanneled one, GL. I am just borrow. No money or profits, except spiritual were gained from this.
    Summary: This is a prequel of sorts to Kele-en's Embers and Spider Silk stories. There will also be tie in?s to Rocketscientist's Prometheus Binding also. I highly recommend reading each of these stories as they are some of my favorites and will give a broader perspective of this universe. However, this story can stand alone as well. From Within the Shadows is an AU of Padmé?s path from after surviving the events on Mustafar until the end of the Empire. Her journey is by no means a simple one as she has enemies?both internal and external?to fight in order to find what she seeks.

A/N: My eternal thanks to my beta Jedi-Isis for her many suggestions and constructive comments. Any remaining mistakes are mine and mine alone. Special thanks to both Kele-en and Rocketscientist for letting me play in their sandboxes. I hope this story does both of your wonderful tales justice.

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you needn?t fear the outcome of a thousand battles.

Sun Tzu-Art of War

Canto I, Pt I.

How should I begin my tale?

I entered the world and time took hold. The details of my origins are already part of history, meaning there is some truth to what is told while the rest is debatable. I am no longer who I was before. I am more?much more than the child prodigy who led her people in revolt against tyrants. More than the senator who fought side by side with her mate on the sands of Geonosis. And especially, more than the expectant mother who was left for dead by the shell she once called husband.

That is a story of another time and another person; the specifics are recorded in the archives. Although she is part of the tapestry of my life, that woman had to die, both in body and soul. Yet, nature is not a vacuum. She abhors ends and makes it such that these moments simply signify change. Much like the seasons on my beloved Naboo, life and hope always prevailed no matter how dire the winter.

Living amongst the people of my beloved and our children, I understand this now completely.

There are no real ends, only moments of transition.

It is of these interludes in time from which my story begins. So gather around and close your eyes, my precious loves. Open your minds and hearts to allow me to take you to a place where souls are forged in consuming fire and love eternally binds us to those who are our hearts?

Each morning there is a moment. It is in this witching hour that the past never occurred. This place where dreams forbid reality to skew, I am still a mother?a wife, as well as a daughter. The darkness from within is supplanted by the light, giving me hope that the world has not changed. There is peace and warmth and love here. No worries or demands. I am truly happy.

And then it happens.

My mind rises, bringing with it the scattered remnants of my heart. The loss returns and my awareness painfully reminds me that I am alone. There are no warm arms to comfort me during the darkest part of the night. Nor are there infants? cries of need for my embrace.

My world is gone.

Silence followed by the low hum of a functional hyperdrive greets my return to the realm of reality. We?ve been traveling for weeks. My children are on polar ends of the galaxy while their mother runs and their father?flees deeper into the dark. Before parting, Bail promised to bring me holos and stories of Leia when we meet at the rendezvous. How I envy him and his wife. To have the life

2. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    MasterRev

SO pleased to see you've started another epic! And it ain't my sandbox baby! I just saw it there! The folks said "sure, come play!" so I did!

This story has made a beautiful start! So emotive, like a piece of music...

That is a story of another time and another person; the specifics are recorded in the archives. Although she is part of the tapestry of my life, that woman had to die, both in body and soul. Yet, nature is not a vacuum. She abhors ends and makes it such that these moments simply signify change. Much like the seasons on my beloved Naboo, life and hope always prevailed no matter how dire the winter.

Lovely....

the style is fluid and evocative. It sets a tone in my head that carries melodies of wistfulness and courage. Desolation and fortitude. It has harmonies of compassion and looming despair. And a tiny but indomitable thread, like a windblown candle in the dark, of undying love.

You reel us in with your prologue and its promise of a tale of high romance, adventure, despair and redemption. Like Anassa'a Cardonan listeners I am suddenly rapt and ready to settle down to listen.

And if it starts with a Sun Tzu quote there's a very good chance that I will like it.

I'm very drawn to Padmé in her introspection.

Each morning there is a moment. It is in this witching hour that the past never occurred. This place where dreams forbid reality to skew, I am still a mother?a wife, as well as a daughter. The darkness from within is supplanted by the light, giving me hope that the world has not changed. There is peace and warmth and love here. No worries or demands. I am truly happy.

And then it happens.

My mind rises, bringing with it the scattered remnants of my heart. The loss returns and my awareness painfully reminds me that I am alone. There are no warm arms to comfort me during the darkest part of the night. Nor are there infants? cries of need for my embrace.

You've put me right there with her.

I admire the artful way you bring us up to speed on her situation:

As predicted, Palpatine and?he were swift in their grab for power. Most of the Republic is now under Imperial rule. Fortunately their efforts have been focused upon the Core worlds, giving me a narrow passage to escape. I shake when I think that my boy and his guardian are doing much the same thing. Never in my worst nightmares did I see myself exploiting the memory of my mother-in-law. He would never go there and now that I am dead, it is the perfect haven for Luke to grow up.

And still she can sense him. (and he her - although he cannot see it)

I can feel his heart beating fiercely against my back as he declares his undying pledge of love for me. We are each other?s universe. He has dominion over my spirit just as I possess his. I can feel his soul trying?pleading to touch mine.

I can feel?.

Him!...........

I can no longer form a coherent thought; my mind mixes fantasy with reality.

?Why did you leave me??

Dram shifts nervously over my bed. ?What are you talking about??

?You left me on Mustafar. Why would you do such a thing?? I scream

Shivers.....

And the not as surly as he seems Corellian has a hidden well of compassion for our suffering heroine that gives me some relief. I think that if Anakin was able to see her in his bondage, he would be glad that she had someone to hold her in the lonely hours of the night.

The attitude of the founders of the fledgling Alliance rings true. Padmé's fear of their distrust may just be the echo of her own self doubt and the castigation of her own failure. For so she views the loss of her husband.

Néssa

The feelings that this word rouses in me is reminiscent of the dream from long ago. The word spoken in the tongue of his mother?his people.

That word! that word..... what does it mean.... ;-)

I'm SO looking forward to this!

Wonderful start!
    [face_peace]

3. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    :eek:

This... this is poetry! Finally, a story that gives me Padme's true spirit and voice... and she's battling Vader... :eek:

I am beyond hooked. Please pm me with updates.

4. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Rocketscientist: SO pleased to see you've started another epic! And it ain't my sandbox baby! I just saw it there! The folks said "sure, come play!" so I did!

Well, it has already been a lot of fun to play in this box.

And if it starts with a Sun Tzu quote there's a very good chance that I will like it.

He's definitely one of my favorites as well.

And the not as surly as he seems Corellian has a hidden well of compassion for our suffering heroine that gives me some relief.

He will have a major part to play in Padme's life ;).

The attitude of the founders of the fledgling Alliance rings true. Padmé's fear of their distrust may just be the echo of her own self doubt and the castigation of her own failure. For so she views the loss of her husband.

She has a lot on her plate and it's only the beginning :D.

That word! that word..... what does it mean.... ;-)

All shall be revealed in time ;).

Thanks so much for reading! Look for more soon!

Luna_Nightshade: This... this is poetry! Finally, a story that gives me Padme's true spirit and voice... and she's battling Vader...

Thank you so very much. And aside from Vader she has many inner battles she has yet to face.

I am beyond hooked. Please pm me with updates.

Glad you like it. I will certainly add you onto the list. Look for more soon!

5. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Oh, this is amazing, what a wonderful start JediMasterRev=D= =D= =D= .
    Could you add me to the pm list[face_praying] , I can?t wait to see where this will go. Thanx.

6. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Interesting. :)

Looking forward to more.

7. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Star_Angel:Oh, this is amazing, what a wonderful start

You are too kind. Thank you so very much. I'm glad you like.

Could you add me to the pm list

Absolutely :).

, I can?t wait to see where this will go. Thanx.

Thanks for reading!

Starwarsfan1000:Interesting.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks a bunch! More coming soon!

8. jedi-isis

jedi-isis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2005
    MasterRev:
    Yes for the beginning of this tale you are indeed the Master. Where is the lighthearted creator of Naboo Chronicles and the gritty author of The Inquest? Here is another facet of your talent that has long been hidden and now come brilliantly to light. When I began the reading of the first Canto, I was amazed by the depth and strength you have attributed to Padmé that was hidden far to long. This is the Embers Padmé that will now be revealed as she begins her journey to ceate a rebellion that will jolt the Empire and its devious dictator. Your mini prologue takes us into a new realm. Now we will see the heartbreaking decisions that make her the force to be reckoned with in her battles both from the soul and around the star systems. Thank you for adding a surly Corellian to the mix. I have always had a soft spot for those men. They are free and mostly answer to no one. This Dram will be a good foil for her. How startled I was by the injection of the overwhelming jolt of a force connection. This is a feeling she must hide at all costs to remain free of entanglements. The draw will be very powerful.
    From your mini conference with Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and the others we will see the development of the Alliance and the cat and mouse game to be played with Palpatine and...Vader.
    Your flashbacks are very emotive and I could not help the filled eyes while reading the agonizing and tragic scenes she is reliving. Her realization that the word Te?héyn (Soulmate) is now her destiny and something she will be tested against time and again.
    Néssa Again, another mystery whisper. What designation will this word have? Also, the new entanglement that we are discovering, our Corellian is not so unmoved after all.
    Again, a wonderful beginning for an undiscovered background and under-researched history of Padmé's involvement.
    I am delighted to be a part of this journey and look forward to the next post. Well done Rev.@};- @};-

9. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Jedi-Isis: Yes for the beginning of this tale you are indeed the Master.

[face_blush]

Where is the lighthearted creator of Naboo Chronicles and the gritty author of The Inquest? Here is another facet of your talent that has long been hidden and now come brilliantly to light.

Taking a hiatus from light topics ;)

Your mini prologue takes us into a new realm. Now we will see the heartbreaking decisions that make her the force to be reckoned with in her battles both from the soul and around the star systems.

Padme has indeed lost everything, yet she still will find a way to fight on.

Thank you for adding a surly Corellian to the mix. I have always had a soft spot for those men. They are free and mostly answer to no one. This Dram will be a good foil for her.

He definitely has a tragic past himself. They are much more alike, then not ;).

From your mini conference with Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and the others we will see the development of the Alliance and the cat and mouse game to be played with Palpatine and...Vader.

They are especially leery of her, but I think they feel the alternative, leaving her to her own devices, is a far more disconcerting thing.

Néssa Again, another mystery whisper. What designation will this word have?

;) All shall be revealed.

I am delighted to be a part of this journey and look forward to the next post. Well done Rev.

Thank you so much for all your help and support. More will be coming soon!

10. Lirael

Lirael Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2005
    Beautiful.

She is strong and yet vulnerable, the consumate Padme. I already respect her for the path she has chosen for herself. I am cheering that she makes good. What exactly happened on Mustafar? I wonder how she lived and how that fact was hidden from Darth Vader. Or was it?

Beautiful first post, JediMasterRev. More soon please.

11. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Lirael: Beautiful.

She is strong and yet vulnerable, the consumate Padme.

Thank you :). And I agree, this is how I see her after Mustafar.

I already respect her for the path she has chosen for herself. I am cheering that she makes good.

As am I. :)

What exactly happened on Mustafar? I wonder how she lived and how that fact was hidden from Darth Vader. Or was it?

We shall find out in time ;). Thanks so much for reading! Look for more soon!

12. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Wow!!! This is amazing. My biggest gripe with Ep. III was Padme's weakness - so different from how she was portrayed in Ep.'s 1 and 2. But you have given me back my Padme - strong and capable. But of course she still has emotions and vulnerabilities, which you write wonderfully! Great job - can't wait to see where this goes! :)

13. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Adi_Gallia_9: . My biggest gripe with Ep. III was Padme's weakness - so different from how she was portrayed in Ep.'s 1 and 2.

Mine too. Almost seemed like the powers that be didn't know what to do with her in Ep III, imho.

But you have given me back my Padme - strong and capable. But of course she still has emotions and vulnerabilities, which you write wonderfully!

Thank you so much. Like you, I see her as a nearly indominable figure who is capable of so much compassion and kindness, yet is capable of doing what is necessary if the situation calls for it. I think this dynamic element was what was missing in Ep III and I think had she not be minimized the story itself would have been that much more compelling. I still cannot accept that she 'died of a broken heart.' Since Ep I, I imagined that she would go on to help the Alliance and die during their struggles against the Empire. Oh well..That's why we have fan fic ;).

Great job - can't wait to see where this goes!

Thanks a bunch, and look for more soon!

14. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Great start...just as I thought it would be: painful, angsty, and perfect! I loved how you intertwined the self-reflective moments with the plot-moving political scenes. Can't wait to see where this goes (although, we already kinda know the ending).

Please PM me when you update, at your convenience.

15. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Aldocassidy: Great start...just as I thought it would be: painful, angsty, and perfect!

Thanks! Definitely won't be a walk through the tulips for her ;).

I loved how you intertwined the self-reflective moments with the plot-moving political scenes. Can't wait to see where this goes (although, we already kinda know the ending).

I appreciate that and yes, we know the resolution, but the path to get there remains fairly murky.

Thanks so much for reading. I will add you to the PM list.

16. Across-the_Stars

Across-the_Stars Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    I love this, great beginning. You did a great job of bringing to life the strong Padme we all know and love=D=. I can really see this happening at the end of ROTS, I was never convinced that she just let herself dieo_O. Now this I can belive, she loved Ani with all of her heart(as you very beautifully show in this post:_|), but wouldn't just give up. I think that it makes more sense that she is trying to right the wrongs they made and try to make the galaxy a better place for their children.

PS: Please add me to your PM list[face_praying] [face_praying]

17. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    Absolutely wonderful. =D=

I like that she's gonna build an army and whup that old sag bag! Looking foward to some action there. [face_dancing]

Ooooo! Mr.Captain whatever has a crush, eh? Looking foward to that too. :D

-Commander Tharen-

18. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Across_the-Stars: I love this, great beginning. You did a great job of bringing to life the strong Padme we all know and love

Thank you so very much. I'm glad that she came out that way :).

I can really see this happening at the end of ROTS, I was never convinced that she just let herself die. Now this I can believe, she loved Ani with all of her heart(as you very beautifully show in this post

I agree, it has bothered me to no end that she simply 'faded' away. A person such as she had an indominable spirit and I just didn't buy that. And thank you so much. She loved him with everything she was and is quite haunted by her loss.

I think that it makes more sense that she is trying to right the wrongs they made and try to make the galaxy a better place for their children.

Absolutely. I think she would feel that she was responsible for both Anakin's fall and Palpy's rise and would dedicate her life to rectify her 'sins.'

Thanks so much for reading and I have added you to the PM list.

MoeTharen: Absolutely wonderful.

Thank you very much!

I like that she's gonna build an army and whup that old sag bag! Looking foward to some action there.

There will be plenty in time ;).

Ooooo! Mr.Captain whatever has a crush, eh? Looking foward to that too.

He most certaily does. We'll see more of him as well.

Thank you so much for reading!

19. jedi-isis

jedi-isis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2005
    Rev,
    Missing from my last post was an inquiry into this quote:
    "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you needn?t fear the outcome of a thousand battles."

Sun Tzu-Art of War

With all of the past scenes crowding Padme's memories, will you continue to quote from this great military strategist to reinforce her own battle tactics beginning with her "enemy"? If knowing your antagonist is the essence of your being, the father of your children and the fear in your soul. Her war is now beginning and there is a long way to go before the agony is appeased. She must outrun more than his battlecruisers. More clues will appear in your next post. Soon I hope.

20. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Isis: With all of the past scenes crowding Padme's memories, will you continue to quote from this great military strategist to reinforce her own battle tactics beginning with her "enemy"?

Absolutely.

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Canto I, Pt II

There is some measure of comfort I take from seeing my skiff again. Although it should be a dismal reminder of what I?ve lost, I choose to remember only the good. At least for now. Sitting here in Dram?s cargo bay, it looks much smaller. However, it is mine and gives me the means to leave if needs be.

The proprietors of Polis Massa were easily convinced of my ruse of being Sola Naberrie. They almost seemed anxious to part with the ship. Perhaps it is fear of the Empire asking questions that has them, like so many others, on edge. In each spaceport we have visited, there is an obvious black shroud that hangs over everyone. My fear intensifies as I know that this is only the beginning.

It does not take me long to find what I deemed so valuable. It is only the size of a small box, but this holocube is one of my most precious possessions. During the war, since he couldn?t send me a normal message for fear that the Jedi would intercept it he decided to keep a daily record of his adventures. The first time I saw him again after our wedding, he gave me the holocube with the initial sets of entries. Each time he came home, he inserted the new discs so I could add to it.

When he would leave me again, I would lie in my bed just staring at his image. I tried to imagine that I was with him in his starfighter or on some remote battlefield, fighting by his side as I once did on Geonosis. Perhaps that should have been my proper place instead of the hallowed halls of the Senate?

Although he recorded many intimate professions of love, which are beyond all measure of value, for the here and now, it is the other information I am interested in viewing. One thing about my husband, he did nothing piecemeal. Most of his actions were often extreme. Yet this facet of his personality could possibly be the lifeblood of our fledgling rebellion. He spoke of the different planets both he and Obi-Wan visited, what they faced, and most importantly, what was left behind after they secured it for the Republic.

Hours have passed without much notice. It isn?t until I hear Dram clear his throat that I feel the pain in my legs from sitting too long.

?Am I disturbing you?? He cautiously asks.

I shake my head. ?No, I was doing a little repair work.?

?Looks like a holocube.? I nod, not taking my eyes of my project. ?Is it broken??

?No,? I reply. ?It has recordings in linear format and I am trying to reprogram it to respond to interactive questions.?

Dram nods and scrunches his face. He then points at the device. ?May I??

I release a deep sigh of frustration as I hand him the unit. ?Be my guest.? If only I still had Artoo in my service.

He flips it over several times, then pauses when he sees something. Without a word, he picks up a small tool and inserts it into the side. ?Ah ha.?

?What is it??

?Seems whoever built this had the same thing in mind.? He studies the holocube for a moment longer before he positions it in front of me. ?You see that small display?? I nod and silently urge him to continue. ?There is an encryption sequence required for access, but if you look to the side there?s an additional memory unit and processor that connect independently to the central data core.? He smiles as he adds, ?And by the looks of it, it doesn?t appear to have ever been activated.?

?How can you be certain??

Dram?s grin grows as he places the device down. ?While you probably think I am just an ordinary space bum, once upon a time I was a hell of an engineer.?

?I meant no disrespect, I just??

He waves his hand dismissively. ?No offense taken. I just know

21. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Ooo, great update! I loved the parts with Qui-Gon especially. For some reason, it really struck me that he called her "Little Queen." I always loved Qui-Gon so it was nice to see him make a cameo! :) Anyways, great job overall!! Looking forward to the next part! (And thanks for the PM!) :)

22. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    This was beautiful, you described Padmés feelings in a way that you just could feel her, dose that make any sense?
    I loved the fact that about Anakin and the holocube. The message was incredibly beautiful.
    Qui- Gon was so cool and wise; I love the little Queen comment.
    Thanx for the pm[:D] and please update soon[face_praying] .

23. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Adi_Gallia_9: Ooo, great update! I loved the parts with Qui-Gon especially.

Thanks so much. I thought the character of Qui-Gon was great and extremely underutilized. There is so much about him that we never got to know.

For some reason, it really struck me that he called her "Little Queen." I always loved Qui-Gon so it was nice to see him make a cameo!

I think this shows that despite not knowing her too well during his life, Qui-Gon held a special affinity towards her. He recognized her tremendous strength as well as the depth of her persona. It is much like an uncle feels about his favorite niece.

Anyways, great job overall!! Looking forward to the next part!

Thanks so much. Glad you are still enjoying!

Star_Angel: This was beautiful, you described Padmés feelings in a way that you just could feel her, dose that make any sense?

Thanks so much and yes it does. It is my goal to make Padme seem as real as possible. I think she too was underutilized in the PT and there was more to her than just her relationship with Anakin.

I loved the fact that about Anakin and the holocube. The message was incredibly beautiful.

Thanks so much. I always thought that Anakin would leave something like that for her before he went off to war, just in case. Glad you liked it.

Qui- Gon was so cool and wise; I love the little Queen comment.

Thanks! I definitely like Qui-Gon and enjoyed having him show back up.

Thanks for reading!

24. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    ?Seems whoever built this had the same thing in mind.? He studies the holocube for a moment longer before he positions it in front of me. ?You see that small display?? I nod and silently urge him to continue. ?There is an encryption sequence required for access, but if you look to the side there?s an additional memory unit and processor that connect independently to the central data core.? He smiles as he adds, ?And by the looks of it, it doesn?t appear to have ever been activated.?

Well, that's interesting. :D

?Padmé?? the image begins but momentarily stops. ?I had hoped that you would never discover this message. But if you are seeing me, then I have broken my promise to you?I won?t be coming home.? His facsimile hesitates but releases a pain filled smile. ?I hope that I met my end bravely and that my eyes were wide open. In my heart I know that my last thoughts will be of you, my beautiful bride.?

Smart. o_O

Looking foward to more. This is getting terribly interesting. :D

-Commander Tharen-

25. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I love the Little Queen idea... and I'm so glad that she is beginning to find some inner strength, even though it came through Qui-Gon.

I love this story! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.