main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Stones - (Pre JA, Obi/Qui) - *Part IX, updated 08/09*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Title: Stones
    Author(s): P_A
    Timeframe: Pre JA, AU
    Characters: Obi, Qui, assorted OCs
    Genre: Mush, Fluff, Some action (I think)
    Summary: An unexpected adventure
    Notes: Indulge me. I know I have countless unfinished fics, and it is with a view to getting started on my writing again that I began this. Hopefully, just one more post.

This story takes place, actually, in the 'Gah!' universe. Since it happens a little later than where I've left off in the thread, I'm posting it separately. When I've written enough to bridge the gap, I'll probably repost this bit over there.

Blame Ophelia and her 'Lone Wolf and Cub' comment for this. That inspired me, in part. :D

It was hot.

Very hot.

As hot as the famed Jundland wastes, about which stories circulated even in the inner core worlds. The heat was bearable if one took shelter under a few trees that clustered around boulders abounding in the rocky terrain.

Thankfully, it was past midday, however, and the heat would begin to lessen any moment. Within the space of a few hours, one would wonder whether such heat had actually existed.

Especially as one started climbing the mountains of Elhao, the foothills of which were even now visible, and which one would begin to ascend within a matter of minutes.

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn adjusted the small canteen that held water against his hip, brushed away a droplet of perspiration that dotted his forehead, and stared up into the clear violet sky. His chestnut tresses insisted on plastering themselves to his neck, and he gathered them carefully, knotting them in a loose fashion. His feet were beginning to feel hot and damp within his boots, and he longed to pull them off. Not that this would help much when he had to put them back on again ? it would feel worse.

Nevertheless, he eased himself onto a boulder, muscles in his hip and waist feeling sore from more than a day?s hard walking, and dragged off his boots, wriggling his toes. Idly, he thought back to the warnings he had assimilated even before he left Coruscant, the ones that he had tucked away in a corner of his mind. Unfortunately, the warning had been just another tiny detail in the vast databanks that carried information on the small planet Elhain IV, only inhabited system in the quadrant 67II, and which was famed for its natural beauty.

Thank you, Orein, he murmured silently, thinking back to the pandemonium that had raged barely a day ago, following the Prince Regent?s assassination. He had warned them ? Force knew he had warned them ? and then it had happened in a few gory moments, just before the coronation. He remembered it as though it had happened just then; the roar of voices, shrieks, the First Minister?s look of complete horror, the horrified audience, his own hands as they raised a light-sabre towards the assassin ? and the blood that spurted from a severed neck.

He clenched his eyes shut. Assassin or not, he could never get used to taking a life. And he hadn?t truly meant to lop off the murderer?s neck, but merely to stop the actual deed. But the Force seemed to have different ideas. Too many people. Confusion. They had heard his shouts of warning ? the Regent was dead just as his sabre reached him.

?To murder the Regent is to murder our Life Source Ka,? the First Minister had intoned in a most superior voice, when he had first broached the matter to him. ?None will dare.?

His sense had warned him of impending disaster. Jedi had been called to act witness to the coronation. Celebrations, Flowers. Happy voices shrieking through the air. Muffled conferences in two street-corners. Heads that ducked when he had ventured into the market-places.

It had been too perfect, the happiness ? happiness that came after long years of bloody skirmishes and outright battle. And the events leading up to the coronation. Too swift. Too soon. Again, he had warned them.

He should have been swifter. Faster.

He shook his head. What was done was don

2. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    I got it! I got it! First post! [face_dancing]

Nice look into Qui-Gon's thoughts as he works to put the past aside to focus on the present (his favorite time :D ) and the future with Obi-Wan's help.

Hmmm... The title isn't really referring to the beginning of Obi-Wan's rock collection, is it?

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You portray Qui-Gon flawlessly, as usual! Bravo! =D=

4. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Little Obi-Wan is so cute! :D

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    OH, another one. I'm so glad your muse is back although I wish you'd work on some of your other fics - yes, I know you know which ones I mean! [face_whistling]

Loved all the description. I could just feel the heat and the tiredness of spirit as well as body for one Jedi Master. That he has to protect his young one as well makes it doubly difficult. Perhaps he should leave Obi-Wan in the creche a little longer...

Great job. Loved this.

6. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Escape from the capital ? Accomplished.
    Cross the steaming desert ? Accomplished, though the degree of difficulty had risen.
    Climb the Mountains ? to be accomplished.
    Leave the Planet ? Ah. Considerably difficult, since he had lost his com unit in the fracas ? he had had time to send just a hurried message to the Temple. Force knew if it reached its recipients.
    Protect his padawan - ?

Awww even in the midst of an aftermath of chaos, Qui still worries about Obi-Wan... so sweet :D I just love how you write their relatinoship, Princess [face_love]

7. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    That was very sweet, PA. Your characterisation of Qui-Gon is wonderfully done and the little scene between him and Obi-Wan really tugged at my heart. Beautiful work. :)

8. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    I'm glad to see a post from you. :) I greatly enjoy this universe you've created. And I love the glimpses of Obi-Wan's canon character that we see in the adorable child you've written. Can't wait for more.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    OH my, how utterly delectable. With all that Qui-Gon and his padawan have just recently been through I'm sitting here smiling, nearly giggling at the mush. If I might, may I ask for a PM when you update this? :D [face_praying]

10. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    So cute!

Hello Master!

Just wanted to drop in and say that this is a most wonderful story. Lil' Obi is just far to cute.

And I think Qui's little voice is right. How could one not bring precious little Obi with him? The very idea is scandalous. SCANDALOUS I tell you.

At any rate, this was a most wonderful chapter!

May I be bold enough to ask for more soon?

Your little one,
    Seven

11. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Sweet!

Even as a tot, Obi-Wan is so devoted and determined to please Qui-Gon. Having to cope with a little one on such a difficult trip seems like such a burden, but somehow I suspect that the little padawan will do as much as he can to lift his master's spirits.

12. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm upset with you, P_A. Writing a Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan story without informing your biggest fan? For shame.[face_shame_on_you]

This is lovely, very sweet. Well done.

-DS

PS: Three year old Obi-Wan is a darling.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw...I like this story. I would like a PM if you do them.

14. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    You have so much freaking talent, and it comes through beautifully in anything you post. I love when you write Qui-Gon, because you have a grasp on his character that makes the story vivid, like you're lending your readers his eyes and heart. [face_love]

How I loved the ending, with Obi-Wan. My heart squeezes when I read about those two, when it's you writing them. So much emotion, expressed in such a subtle, sweet way. Wowie zowie, P_A.

I eagerly await more, whenever you can get to it. :)

15. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    gah! Even when the situation is dire...aww...leave it to Obi to do something to lighten the mood.....this looks good! Can't wait for more!

16. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Why did I bring him, you ask? taunted the small voice again, as he walked with a light step. How could you have not?

Precious moments with Obi-wan in the midst of such turmoil and sadness...:(

You do seem to be smitten with plot bunnies, PA! [face_mischief]

Star

17. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    I think you are doing a flawless job with this picec...can you PM me with updates?

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    ?Nevertheless,? he bent down and picked up the child, over his protests. ?You may walk a little later. You?ve been walking for a long time.?

He knew he was right to do what he did when his padawan buried his face in his neck, and subsided into silence.

What a sweet and brave child Obi-Wan is! Qui-Gon is really trying to do the best he can with him. And poor Qui-Gon; his mission has gone bad and he has to run off to the hills with Obi-Wan to protect. Please continue.

19. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    aw, little obi is so sweet!

Lovely P_A - let me know when you update!

20. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    [face_love] Awwww, I love Qui-Gon's concern for Obi-Wan. I love his big heart!

You're doing a great job, Princess! I hope your muse sparkles another chapter soon!:)

Bravo! =D=

21. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Am in a hurry, so please excuse the rush. Thanks all for your wonderful replies (will do them individually soon ) - here's a post.

Note: This post contains some details I...picked up. Am not sure if it canon, though.

Part II

He was not really sure if the Force had decided to make him the target of one of its tests.

Perhaps he would have cared, earlier. Correction: he had cared. Earlier. So many aeons ago. When, sometimes, memory seemed so clear that it was like watching glei-fish swimming in the depths of Knao lake. Sometimes, when memory was so unfocussed that he could not really seem to assimilate anything that his brain wanted to project.

If one wanted to be truthful to oneself ? there was no real unfocussing at all ? this was another way of his mind confronting unpleasant experiences. And there was no doubt that he had had his share of them. All Jedi did. When one was forever on missions saving worlds and negotiation treaties, one was apt to see things no human would wish to see. But then, there were made to see such things, because of the superior power they possessed, over other sentient beings. The Force.

He had never revealed it to anyone ? not even his closest acquaintances? but he had cursed the Force. It was not a common practice, and could not even be slotted into a definitive event, but it had happened. He had railed at it. For having given him the power to wield objects without recourse to physical attempt, for the ability to sense emotions and the present keenly, for the ability ? for he had no delusions about himself, nor false modesty ? that he was easily one of the best swordsmen in the Order. There were times when he was glad that he could make a difference. There were times when he wished he were just another sentient being in the galaxy, going about his business.

That had been in the beginning, however ? in the transition period between being a padawan to one of the most exacting masters in the Order, to an independent knight, expected to make his own decisions. It had taken several months to adjust himself, and to understand what exactly the Order had wanted of him, and what he had wanted out of himself.

Those years had moulded him, shaped him, and had prepared him for what he had known he would do, in his heart of hearts ? that he would lean more and more towards teaching. And would eventually take a padawan. It had happened sooner than he had anticipated. In an unexpected manner too ? when he had to assume the training of padawan Quinlan Vos.

It had been fulfilling, but it had left him with mixed feelings.

To start with, Quinlan had not been an apprentice he had chosen for himself, to be trained from a young age. To be sure, he had had a say in the matter; nevertheless, it had been a decision of half-choices.

He did not regret training the padawan ? said apprentice had had a turbulent history, and his life, thus far, had been so full of dark twists and turns that Qui-Gon?s heart had reached out to him, despite himself. He, it seemed, out of all possible masters with far more experience in the arts of training, had been most suitable for the nearly human boy. He had been able to reach a part of the Kiffar Jedi padawan ? and their training bond had received master Yoda?s blessings, somewhat surprisingly. He had trained the padawan until handing him over to the safekeeping of Master Tholme.

Destiny had hung thick around Quinlan Vos ? but Qui-Gon knew that he had too little a part to play, in it.

He had, however, missed training a padawan; eager to savour more of the enriching experiences he had shared with one. Xanatos, it seemed, was an answer to whatever wish he might have cherished, in that regard.

Why had he chosen Xanatos, out of all the many initiates who vied for the honour of being chosen?

Why indeed.

Perhaps it was the casual air almost bordering on arrogance. Perhaps it was the supreme confidence that was so essential to a warrior, yet that must be tempered with humility, but wasn?t. Perha

22. AngryWarrior

AngryWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Oh...I wonder who or what he sensed. Lil Obi is so cute, as usual. Keep up the great work.

23. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Reply-time. [:D]

Musing: First reply! Woot! Rock collection, eh? ;) Much too perceptive for your own good. :D Thank you!

Nice look into Qui-Gon's thoughts as he works to put the past aside to focus on the present (his favorite time ) and the future with Obi-Wan's help.

It *is* rather difficult - a new exercise for Qui-Gon. But then, he's still learning. And much to his surprise, it is rather pleasant. At times. :)

VaderLVR64: thank you. Qui-Gon is fast becoming someone I can write easily. :D

Fat_Bird:
    Little Obi-Wan is so cute!

He is, isn't he? [face_love] Thanks for reading.

dianethx: Lol, m'lady. Thank you. I know which fics, and since I have updated as you wished ... and since I am on an updating spree, I will. Yes, Qui-Gon's feeling rather dispirited, at the moment. Obi-Wan's presence is proving to be both a worry as well as solace to him. Perhaps he should have been left in a creche ... but when out maverick ever follow the rules? :D

Layren: Thank you, dear.[:D]

Indra: Thank you. Your comment means much to me. :)

Dragonlady: It seemed important to me that Obi, however little he is, be as canon-like as possible. Even at such an age, he would have been definitely Obi-Wan, I think. And somehow, that seems true, to me. :) How is your DRL coming along?

As always, your reviews make my day. Thanks!

Healer_Leona: Mush makes you giggle, I've noticed. :D More and more mush coming up, dear. Thanks so much!

Seven, my paddy: You think the idea of not bringing Obi along is scandalous? :D The jedi Council thinks it so, I can tell you. Not that what they say has much effect on Qui - once Obi is his padawan, he's his padawan... and that would be it.

I think he's entitled to take him along. Not that it would be an easy trip. Thanks so much, little one. [:D]

DarthMousche: Indeed he will. He's not aware of much, at present, except for his Force connection, but things seem to find him. Thanks, Mousche. :)

-Darksaber-: I'm touched. [face_blush] I should have informed you, yes. I won't forget, next time. Three year old Obi *is* a darling.:) Thank you!

Valairy_Scot: Thank you!

LuvEwan: More Obi-Wan for you, in the latest. Have I ever told you I love your reviews? You seem to add a new touch to whatever you write. I'm floating. Thank you so much.

Lady_Snow_Kaguya: Lol, indeed. Thanks. :)

Star_Drifter: I am smitten with entirely too many bunnies for my own good. :p Thank you. I assume your shoulder's all better, now?

kenobiwanobi: Thank you. :)

ardavenport: Things always seem to take a dark twist for Qui, don't they? And he has to make a hasty escape this time, instead of staying and fighting it out. But then... [face_mischief]

Thank you!

Kestrel_Kenobi: Sweet! :D Thanks!

Katieelessar: My muse has cooperated, thankfully. Thank you!

24. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was so sweet and deep. I really enjoyed Qui-Gon's introspection, his worries and fears, coupled beside Obi-Wan's innocence. And the backstory with Vos was stellar. My favorite part mgiht have been when Qui-Gon told him to eat the leaf, and Obi-Wan just opened his mouth, waiting to be fed. [face_laugh] So cute and very realistic. I eagerly await the next post, considering they're being watched! :eek: I [face_love] it, of course.

25. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Geez, now I'm sweating. [face_worried] Creepy crawlies give me such a bad feeling...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.