main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Possessions -- repost: Qui-Gon needs a tunic challenge, vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Possessions
    Author: ardavenport (aka Ani-Chay Pinn, aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I
    Genre: adventure, humor
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, JA, BfTS, humor
    Summary: Our Jedi return to the Temple after a long, hard mission
    Notes: This story was posted on the Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge thread, for the ?Qui-Gon needs a tunic? challenge. Really, the whole point here is that I wanted a scene with Qui-Gon going through all his clothes, getting dressed.[face_mischief] It was also posted on The Jedi Assembly fan fiction forum. And typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to Lucas; I?m just playing in their sandbox

Going strictly by the Jedi Code, possessions were forbidden to a Jedi.

This was, of course, completely impractical.

No one denied that Jedi possessed their own lightsabers and that no one outside the Order would try to take them away. At least not without resistance. Practically speaking, they owned their clothes and boots and equipment, and small mementos acquired over the years. But a Jedi claimed nothing more than what they wore or larger than what could be held in hand. They were assigned their own rooms at the Jedi Temple, each a single, plain, utilitarian cell, but it still amounted to an assigned territory, respected by others.

In theory, each Jedi possessed nothing, living unburdened within the Order. In reality, they owned what they carried, on their persons and within their souls. And only the direst circumstances would lead the Jedi Council to strip a Jedi of what little they had, making the ?no possessions? edict true, and paradoxically cancelling their vows and status in the Order, and freeing them from that rule entirely.

Master Qui-Gon Jinn sighed as he contemplated this on the way from the nearest public transportation stop and trudged up the many steps to the massive Jedi Temple on Coruscant. His backpack weighed heavy with his new possession. He and his young apprentice reached the top and entered, the huge double doors parting before them.

Other Jedi passed them in the vast hall. Some glanced with sympathy at the disheveled pair; others swiftly avoided them. Their simple mission as peace negotiators had cascaded into new problems full of irritating people with issues scattered all over a series of outer-rim worlds. Qui-Gon?s long, brown hair was loose, dirty and stingy, hanging about his face. His robe had been sacrificed three planets ago. His boots were scuffed and he?d been unable to get all of the hardened poswat excrement out from under the straps and fittings on the calves.

Walking next to him, his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, still had his robe though the hem of it was shredded from a run through a field of iron-spined berry bushes. The extended, multi-part mission had taken so long that his young apprentice had grown in that time; his stained and torn tunic and pants now looked a bit short on him. And his hair was still green, though brown roots showed under the dye, though the thin braid behind his left ear had been spared and was its normal color.

Obi-Wan also needed a shave. His new height had brought another sign of maturity that had taken Qui-Gon by surprise, but Qui-Gon hadn?t shaved his own beard in years, so there was nothing to be done about his Padawan?s darkening chin. They?d been too busy being ferried between minor disasters to petty catastrophes to find something to do about it, and it was not a good idea to experiment with other species? hygiene implements if you didn?t have to. It wasn?t growing very fast for now, but it promised to be a full, thick beard when it did. Qui-Gon hadn?t said anything, but he was privately pleased by the prospect. Obi-Wan was uncomfortable and he kept rubbing his chi

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A real treat to read again. The entire story flows so well and that last line is simply icing on the cake. :D :D

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautifully done! I loved this when I read it on the challenge thread and I love it even more now! A great way to start my day! ;)

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Wow. :D

Jedi did not indulge in sensual pleasures, but he did take a moment to appreciate the fresh smell of the fabric along with the lack of holes, frayed edges and stiffened, discolored stains.

There's no denying the power of New Shirt Smell. [face_laugh] I don't!

In theory, each Jedi possessed nothing, living unburdened within the Order. In reality, they owned what they carried, on their persons and within their souls. And only the direst circumstances would lead the Jedi Council to strip a Jedi of what little they had, making the ?no possessions? edict true, and paradoxically cancelling their vows and status in the Order, and freeing them from that rule entirely.

I've always wondered about that, and I really like your explanation, because rather than stating that the Jedi are hypocrites, this vig says that there's something noble in owning things. Having possessions for the sake of having possessions is what the Order prohibits, but that's not what the vaults are about. It's more that no one else wants the objects, so the Jedi are "stuck" with them. :p And since they're stuck with them, why not use them for a good cause?

Great vig! I love a story that makes me think. :D

5. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Wow, what a nifty viggie! You presented some interesting aspects of the Jedi order, ones that no one has really touched on before, and I think you did a wonderful job with it! :) The way you presented things was incredibly believable, and I really enjoyed your descriptions of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan as they came back from the missions. It's how I feel after coming home from a week-long backpacking/camping trip, how I'm ready to kill for a hot shower and some way to get the stubborn dirt off my feet.

He?d never before had to clean a lightsaber of mites and cookie crumbs, or rescue it from the bodice of an oversized female with an ego even larger than her generous body proportions.

[face_laugh][face_laugh] Oh, poor Qui-Gon, though I wonder how the 'saber ended up there in the first place? *starts giggling just thinking about it*

Great job! :D =D=

Stormqueen

6. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    You never fail to deliver clever, original and thought-provoking pieces. This was such a deep and realistic look at an aspect of Jedi life that is often disputed, and as Qui-Gon believes, rightfully so. I liked that he realized Obi-Wan had grown up more during the mission, but Obi-Wan himself chafed at the new facial hair and reverted back to his former appearance as soon as possible. It seemed like he wanted to be right, to have the approval of his teacher, but was also clinging a bit to the security of his youth. The way Qui-Gon explained possession using the Icon and the simple supplies from the Temple was just perfect. He really make him an effective, compassionate teacher who expects much from his pupil, but offers much in return.

The first lines and the last lines fit so well. They really tied the story together. Great vignette.=D=

7. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    I agree with the previous posts. Great response and you got the gears in my head turning. Great vig! =D=

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

?The Jedi serve the ideals and laws of the Republic. The Republic supports the Jedi in their duties.? Obi-Wan recited only what he?d been taught as a student at the Temple.

?And that requires this,? Qui-Gon said of the resources in the vast room. ?Apparently, there are supply droids and inventories and yearly budgets with the Senate to mange all this.? Again, Obi-Wan looked shocked at the revelation. ?I work very hard to know as little as possible about all of it,? Qui-Gon added. ?But I never deny that it?s there.? He gestured at the stores around them.

?The rule forbidding possession is an individual code of conduct. But the Jedi Order itself possesses a very great deal, Obi-Wan,? he instructed. ?It would be very difficult for the Jedi to act as guardians in the galaxy without the resources of the Republic. We would spend much more time on simply surviving than we would on upholding justice without these ?possessions?. The Vertaad Union may have elevated greed and possession of the Icon above the lives of its people, but those who value possession do not always do so for frivolous reasons.?

I really enjoyed reading this again and I thought that the explanation of the Jedi using the Republic's resources was very well done.

9. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooops, my apologies; since it was a repost I completely forgot about replying.

Healer_Leona: A real treat to read again. The entire story flows so well and that last line is simply icing on the cake.

Thanks much. I really wasn?t sure about that last line when I wrote it, so I?m very glad it worked out.

VaderLVR64: Beautifully done! I loved this when I read it on the challenge thread and I love it even more now! A great way to start my day!

Thanks! :)

JadeSolo: I've always wondered about that, and I really like your explanation, because rather than stating that the Jedi are hypocrites, this vig says that there's something noble in owning things. Having possessions for the sake of having possessions is what the Order prohibits, but that's not what the vaults are about. It's more that no one else wants the objects, so the Jedi are "stuck" with them. And since they're stuck with them, why not use them for a good cause?

Great vig! I love a story that makes me think.

Thanks, I?m glad to make you think.[face_thinking] The Jedi ideal of ?no possessions/no attachments? is pretty impractical for day-to-day living. The other extreme of pursuing the Icon to the point of war is just as impractical and messy. All Obi-Wan knew were the ideals that he was taught as a Jedi initiate. It takes the real life experience of a Master like Qui-Gon to guide him to where the practical middle ground is. I suppose that may be why Jedi use one-on-one apprenticeships.

stormqueen874: Wow, what a nifty viggie! You presented some interesting aspects of the Jedi order, ones that no one has really touched on before, and I think you did a wonderful job with it! The way you presented things was incredibly believable, and I really enjoyed your descriptions of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan as they came back from the missions. It's how I feel after coming home from a week-long backpacking/camping trip, how I'm ready to kill for a hot shower and some way to get the stubborn dirt off my feet.

Thanks much! I really wanted them to be coming back from a mission where just everything happened to them. There must be missions like that, where every day is Monday morning.:rolleyes: [face_mischief]

LuvEwan:
    You never fail to deliver clever, original and thought-provoking pieces. This was such a deep and realistic look at an aspect of Jedi life that is often disputed, and as Qui-Gon believes, rightfully so. I liked that he realized Obi-Wan had grown up more during the mission, but Obi-Wan himself chafed at the new facial hair and reverted back to his former appearance as soon as possible. It seemed like he wanted to be right, to have the approval of his teacher, but was also clinging a bit to the security of his youth. The way Qui-Gon explained possession using the Icon and the simple supplies from the Temple was just perfect. He really make him an effective, compassionate teacher who expects much from his pupil, but offers much in return.

The story was meant as a learning experience for Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon has enough experience to know that one can?t live on Jedi ideals alone and that they have to be balanced with reality and that?s what he was teaching Obi-Wan. The facial hair was sort of an inescapable aspect of growing up that Obi-Wan had trouble dealing with since it came at a time when he couldn?t do much about it. I didn?t mention it in the story, but I assume that he got a brand new shaving kit with his new outfit.

The other purpose for the story was that I wanted Qui-Gon to get dressed and go through all his clothes. I?m just glad that something like a plot developed around that. :D Thanks for reading!

Jetta: I agree with the previous posts. Great response and you got the gears in my head turning. Great vig!

Thanks, glad you liked it! :)

Layren: I really enjoyed reading this again and I thought that the explanation of the Jedi using the Republic's resources was very well done.

10. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I don't know how I missed this wonderful vig. It's perfect in any way. Loved how Qui-Gon - ahem- dressed, and pondered over the icon (held babies) ... and finally taught a now-beard-aged Obi-Wan a lesson. The last line was beautiful. Bravo!

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I just wanted to say congrats on the well deserved archiving of this fic! =D=

12. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Princess_Arulmozhi and VaderLVR64: Aaaaaah, thanks very much. It was fun writing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in a disheveled, post-mission state.

And, bonus, the Archive version of this story does have some tweaks in some details and MANY FEWER TYPOS. :).

13. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Great story. I like how the story of their mission unfolds in the bits and pieces of filth. And I loved the last part, the lesson and Obi-Wan?s reaction were well done and the last line is perfect! I loved it.

14. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Thanks very much! Glad you enjoyed it. It was fun putting in all the details slowly as the bedraggled pair went into the Temple, and their trip to the basement and Qui-Gon's lesson about that stuff. That Temple is huge, so there could be anything down there. [face_mischief]

This is the link to the Archive version of Possessions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.