main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rabé's Journal

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi_Arwen, Apr 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Arwen

Jedi_Arwen Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Okay, this is a story I've been working on for about two years (it's been slow work) about the events of TPM from Rabé's point of view. And by the way, this is a bit different than the excellent one by princess-sari (it's really really good, I recommend it!). But anyway, hope you like!

???
    Star Wars
    Episode I
    Rabé's Journal

Entry 1
    Handmaiden

I am Rabé, of the Naboo.
    I was recently one of the few chosen to act in the position of handmaiden for Her Honor, Queen Amidala.
    I and my fellow handmaidens are highly trained in defense and are ready to give our lives for the Queen if danger should arise. Which is highly unlikely, considering the peaceful nature of Naboo. But we must always be prepared.
    How I got to this role was quite an experience.
    Ever since I can remember I have gone to a school to be trained in the arts of defense.
    A few months ago Captain Panaka visited my school and asked for candidates for a job as the new queen?s personal guards. Every girl age twelve and over in my school submitted an application to be one of them. The Captain said only a few would be chosen, and he was going around to other schools, also.
    I desperately wanted the job, for I wanted to use my skills in some way to protect my beautiful planet, but I thought I would hardly have a chance.
    At first, I am told, more than half the candidates were dropped because they weren?t the same height as Amidala.
    Then the Captain watched the remaining candidates in class and carefully picked out some of the ones he thought would be good for the role.
    I was one of those chosen.
    The final candidates were then taken to the practice rooms in the handmaiden?s section of the Palace in Theed.
    A girl around my age (fourteen years) watched us as we practiced. She looked very delicate and beautiful. After a while, she walked to Captain Panaka and whispered something in his ear. I thought it very peculiar and wondered who she was. After she watched for a few more seconds, the girl left.
    Soon after, Panaka called for us to stop. He ordered us to go to the rooms prepared for us to get some rest. The next morning, I was notified that I was among those chosen.
    The girl turned out to be the Queen. I was not too surprised. After all, she did have a certain regal air about her as befitted one.
    As handmaidens, we tend to Amidala every day, though that is mostly a formality to disguise our true purpose. We each have royal pistols that are hidden well under our simple handmaiden?s cloaks yet within easy reach. Since we are by Amidala?s side almost all the time, we can be ready to defend at any sign of danger. Thankfully, our abilities haven?t been needed as of yet, though we still keep a careful watch.
    Sometimes I wonder if I should regret the choice to be a handmaiden. Mostly because I rarely see my family any more. But this is what I really want to be doing. The Queen is now one of my best friends. I would give my life for her, even though I?ve barely known her half a year.
    I am also friends with the other handmaidens.
    Sabé is the most important one; if any danger should arise, she will be the decoy, acting as Queen. She is bold, friendly, and clever, and Amidala has put a lot of trust in her.
    Eirtaé is from a wealthy family; honor is everything to her. She has instructed us, the other handmaidens, in royal etiquette. She is very proud and is the only one of us with blonde hair. She is the eldest of all of us, even Amidala, at fifteen.
    Saché came to the palace only three months ago. She is very sensitive but courageous when it comes to defending those whom she loves. She is a little shy, but I must admit that she is extremely smart.
    Yané is the spunky one. She is the same age as Saché, and they are from the same martial arts school. She is also fairly new. She loves to talk and keeps us all goin

2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I like it so far! Give us more! :)

3. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Ooh, awesome!!

I really like this, especially all the details about how the hms were chosen. Also, I liked this a lot:
    Sometimes I wonder if I should regret the choice to be a handmaiden. Mostly because I rarely see my family any more. But this is what I really want to be doing. The Queen is now one of my best friends. I would give my life for her, even though I?ve barely known her half a year.

I can't wait to read more, Arwen!! :D

(Thanks for the mention there, BTW. :) )

4. Jedi_Arwen

Feb 28, 2001
    Mistress Renata: Thanks! Glad you like it!

princess-sari: You're welcome! I'd be glad to mention your stories any time! And thank you for the feedback!

I'll post more later, probably sometime tomorrow.

~Arwen~

5. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    This is great! I am very interested to see her point of view on the events that will happen. :D
    Post again soon!

6. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    OO, OO, OOOO! Cool! Handmaiden stuff! This sounds really great Arwen! I can't wait for more! Keep up the great work! I especially can't wait for Rabe's reaction to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan! [face_devil]

AngelQueen

7. Jedi_Arwen

Feb 28, 2001
    Wow, thanks, QueenSabe7 and AngelQueen! By the way, AngelQueen, I originally didn't have any special feelings for the Jedi in this because I was interested in getting it published, but just for fun I'll add a bit about it. :) But that won't happen in this post, maybe the next one.
    Here you go:
    ???
    Entry 2
    Blockade

On a peaceful planet, I never expected this to happen.
    The Trade Federation is blockading us. I have heard that it is because they are protesting the taxation of trade routes, and they want to use us as a tool to get the Galactic Senate?s attention. Whatever the case, Amidala is strong. She will never submit to their demands.
    Amidala has told the other handmaidens and me that she has received word that two Jedi ambassadors are going to negotiate with the Trade Federation Viceroy, Nute Gunray. Hopefully things will work out fine, but we still must be prepared.
    Amidala just called me into the Throne Room. It is my turn to attend to her. As much as I try, I can?t push down the feeling that something isn?t right about this blockade.
    ???
    There is something very strange going on. During my stay in the Throne Room, Amidala sent a transmission to the Viceroy to ask if they had come to a conclusion with the Jedi. Nute Gunray, an ugly green Neimoidian, was very smug in telling her he knew nothing about any Jedi ambassadors.
    I knew Amidala well enough to know that she was very surprised, though she took care not to show it. I was surprised, too. The Jedi should have met with him by now.
    She answered him in a clearly unbelieving icy manner, then cut off the transmission.
    She then contacted Naboo?s Senator, Palpatine. Palpatine seems strange to me; I don?t know why. I can?t shake the impression that something isn?t right about him; that he isn?t what he seems. But he is our help and our only connection to Coruscant, so I did my best to ignore the odd feeling growing deep inside of me.
    Palpatine was just as surprised. He told us that he had assurances that they did arrive. He started to say something else, but the transmission was abruptly cut off.
    Governor Bibble was on the edge of his seat. ?A transmission interruption can only mean one thing,? he said. ?Invasion.?
    He was jumping to conclusions way too fast. I could tell he was afraid. Amidala looked annoyed. ?The Federation would not dare go that far,? she announced.
    But I couldn?t get the thought out of my mind that maybe it was the Federation, maybe they were going to invade us.
    At the first chance I talked with Amidala and the other handmaidens about it. They all seemed worried, too, although Yané cheerfully told us not to fear, that the Jedi will eventually take care of it, and the blockade will end soon. Maybe she?s right, but I wish I had her confidence in this matter.

8. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Sounds really really cool! It sounds like Rabé might be Force sensitive! Just a thought!

This is great Arwen! Keep up the great work!

AngelQueen

9. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    Great post! Cant wait for more! ;)
    I agree AngelQueen..maybe Rabe is al little Force sensitive! ?[face_plain] That would be really cool!

10. Melne_Crtor

Melne_Crtor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    Wow! I just found this and I am loving it! And AngelQueen may be right about the Force sensitivity. After all, you did say something new about the Jedi was added in. (BTW, where do you want to get this published?)

11. Angel_of_Naboo

Angel_of_Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    This is good!!! I'll never get enough of Handmaiden stuff!

12. Cougar

Cougar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2000
    Hmm, there seems to be a lot of journal fan fics going around recently. :) I like yours, though. Keep up the good work!

13. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Quite true. It's as good a quality as the Scholastic ones! Bravo!

14. Jedi_Arwen

Feb 28, 2001
    AngelQueen: Thanks! And yes, Rabé just might be force sensitive, though that wasn't exactly what I was trying to convey. But that's a really great idea; I agree with it totally!
    QueenSabe7: Thanks!
    Melne_Crtor: [face_blush] Uh, actually I meant that in my original version Rabé expressed no romantic opinion about certain Jedi. Here she's going to, though not too much. Oh, and I was going to attempt (repeat: attempt) to publish it in Scholastic with the other journals, but I don't know if they'll take it or not. I mean, they only have Amidala's, Anakin's, and Darth Maul's out, so will they take a mostly behind the scenes character? Hmmmm...
    Angel_of_Naboo: Thanks! I can't, either!
    Cougar: Thanks!
    Bubba: Thanks! And I modeled the style of the journal after the Scholastic ones.

Okay, now on to the story!

???
    Entry 3
    Invasion

My worst fears have come true. The Trade Federation has invaded Naboo. They are coming to capture the Queen, but Amidala has put Sabé?s decoy position to work. The Queen is now our fellow handmaiden Padmé Naberrie.
    Panaka told me something I hadn?t suspected. He told me that if anything should happen to Sabé, I would be next in line for decoy. I was quite surprised that the Queen would choose me for that position. I am sure the situation won?t come to that, but if it becomes necessary I will do it.
    Nute Gunray just requested our presence in the Throne Room. I?ll need all of my patience to keep from pulling out my pistol. If they try to do anything to Amidala, I swear I?ll defend her with my life.
    ???
    Something amazing has happened. I am now aboard the Queen?s starship. I still can?t believe our luck.
    To start at the beginning, Nute Gunray, still smug (I wondered if he was always that way), asked Sabé to sign a treaty that would legitimize the Trade Federation?s presence.
    ?I will not cooperate,? Sabé said icily. She was doing a good job so far.
    Then the Viceroy ordered one of his battle droids to take us to a detention camp. I was appalled. Innocent Naboo citizens were suffering in camps because of the Trade Federation?s arrogance. Yané had her hand inside her cloak, probably gripping her pistol. Please Yané, it?s not time for this yet, I silently pleaded.
    We, along with Panaka, Bibble, and our Royal Guards were herded towards the camp by battle droids. This was not turning out right. Even usually optimistic Yané was hanging her head. Just then, I felt quite peculiar; as if we were being watched, and I moved subtly toward Amidala. A moment later two men jumped down from an overhang. They seemed to materialize in front of us. The way they used their laser swords to cut down the battle droids, I could tell they were the Jedi ambassadors. At second glance, I noticed that they were both very handsome. Whoah, extremely handsome. I resisted the urge to swoon.
    Behind them stood a Gungan. What would gorgeous Jedi like them be doing with the likes of a Gungan? It was an interesting thought, requiring speculation I didn?t have time for. In a few seconds we were free.
    The two Jedi greeted Sabé, then told her that someone should go to Coruscant to warn the Galactic Senate.
    Captain Panaka led everyone to an unguarded hanger door, and we looked inside. Battle droids were everywhere. I was sure that we would have to find some other way to get to the ship, but the taller Jedi with the gorgeous blue eyes, Qui-Gon Jinn, said it wouldn?t be a problem.
    Then he asked Sabé to come with him to Coruscant!
    I had assumed that the Jedi were going to Coruscant alone. Of course, Sabé objected, but Qui-Gon simply stated that the Trade Federation would kill her if she stayed. Sabé hesitated, but Amidala stepped forward and told her that we were brave. Sabé?s indecision ended, and she submitted to the Jedi?s plans. I wonder if the Jedi took notice of that subtle signal. Hopefully not.
    Personally, I thought it a bad decision. I think that Amidala should stay and try to assist her people. After all, she is the Q

15. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    Again, another excellent post!!! This gets more interesting everytime I read! :D
    UP!

16. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
  17. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    I like the details from TPM. And how Rabe is second in line to act as decoy.

Both of these last entries were great, Arwen!! :D

18. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    ::AngelQueen jumps around, screaming in delight, her popcorn going everywhere:: This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sooo, our dear Rabé thinks our two brave Jedi are handsome hmm?

::Fade out on AngelQueen in her room, surrounded by Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi posters::

::giggles::

AngelQueen

19. Jedi_Arwen

Feb 28, 2001
    Thanks, everyone!! I'm glad you'all like it! I'm feeling kind of sick today. :( Oh well, maybe another post will help!

???
    Entry 4
    Problems

We have been informed that there is something wrong with the hyperdrive unit, and we can?t make for Coruscant yet. We will have to stop somewhere to get a new one. The Jedi have decided on Tatooine, a hot, dusty planet in the outer rim that hosts vile underworld characters such as Jabba the Hutt. Amidala doesn?t trust the Jedi anymore. I don?t, either, even though I still think they are gorgeous. They seem to make decisions that in all likelihood will turn out wrong. Amidala plans to go with Qui-Gon (sigh) to get the new hyperdrive and keep watch on him. I have to admit I envy her...
    ???
    Amidala has gone with Qui-Gon, the Gungan Jar Jar Binks, and R2-D2 to a nearby spaceport called Mos Espa. Eirtaé and I have nothing to do except stay by Sabé?s side. When we are dismissed, we sit in our quarters and talk about the ongoing events. I wonder if Saché and Yané are okay. I think about them all the time.
    Sabé is very nervous, and everyone can tell it. She is afraid that she will give herself away. And she will, if she keeps on like this. I have heard that Jedi can sense emotions.
    ???
    Amidala has been gone overnight. I wonder why.
    Eirtaé and I have finally found something to do. She mentioned yesterday that in the outfit that Sabé wears you can not see her hair, and that if she took Sabé?s place no one would notice. I immediately saw a cure for Sabé?s nervousness.
    We have decided to take turns posing as the Queen for a day at a time until we reach Coruscant. I powder my skin to make it the right shade and use cosmetics to shadow my face like Amidala?s.
    I don?t think the young Jedi suspects our trickery yet. Apparently he doesn?t see any point in keeping an eye on the handmaidens. I admit I feel a little guilty fooling him like that, but Sabé?s relief more than makes up for it. She is much happier now that she doesn?t have to carry all the burden.
    It is my turn today; I must get ready. I?ll write later.
    ???
    I am terribly upset. Something happened during my turn.
    I had just given Eirtaé an order when a message came through from Naboo. It was Governor Bibble. I have never seen anyone look so distressed. He told us of the terrible suffering our people are going through. ?You must contact us,? he said in a strained voice.
    ?Send no transmissions of any kind!? Obi-Wan Kenobi snapped. This angered me. I was not stupid. I could tell that the Federation was putting Sio Bibble up to this. Besides, he was snapping quick orders to a Queen. Sort of.
    But the truth in our people?s suffering rang out in Bibble?s eyes. I pray Amidala gets back soon.

20. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Cool idea, having Eirtae and Rabe share pretending to be Ami with Sabe to help make her less nervous.
    And I like Rabe's reaction to Obi telling her what to do, too. How dare he! ;)

Oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention this earlier, but as far as I know to get published in the SW Universe, you have to
    (a) be an already published writer, and
    (b) be invited to do so by the publisher.
    It's too bad, too, 'cause I think it would be great if they'd publish some new diaries or journals for the hms. :)

21. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    This is great! I can see where Rabé is coming from, being angry at Obi-Wan! Jeez, don't treat 'em like there dumb Obster! ::grins::

Keep up the great work!

AngelQueen

22. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    Cool! I liked how you made the 3 handmaidens take turns posing as the Queen. That was a neat idea. I also would be mad at Obi-Wan if he snapped at me so Rabe has the right to be a little mad. :mad:
    UP

23. Melne_Crtor

Melne_Crtor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    Yeah, it really is cool how the handmaidens would take turns posing as the Queen -- a very interesting outlook on things. Not to mention one never even alluded to in the movie. It's disheartening, however, that Obi-Wan would be paying so little attention to them -- after all, what's a Padawan to do for all the long hours? Probably flirting with the handmaidens, was my assumption ;).

BTW, you seem to have a thing about Qui-Gon (I don't mean that in a bad way). A really neat QGJ site with lots of fanfic is http://www.qui-gonline.org :D. Hope you like it (and maybe even post some stuff there)!

24. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I bet he wished he'd been flirting; I suspect he was getting covered with grease from the hyperdrive. (Why is it that the hyperdrive seems to go out in EVERY ship in the SW universe at the key critical moment?)

Yes, switching off between the HMs is a great idea, gives them all a chance for a little downtime.

Keep it up, Arwen!

25. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.