main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends In Master's Clothes - REVISION: 4-Sep-2007 -- one-shot, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan -- it's just so cute

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: In Master's Clothes
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: humor, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, JA
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, JA, clothes
    Summary: Obi-Wan learns a little bit about his Master
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don't catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I'm just playing in their sandbox

NOTE - 4-SEP-2007
    I realized last month that I had made a significant continuity error with the JA in this story. It's a small thing, but I noticed it and it was annoying enough for me to do a revision. This story is largely the same except for that one little change and fewer typos.

The shiny, silver valet droid waved one appendage before the entry panel. The door to the room slid open. Obi-Wan walked in while Qui-Gon dismissed the machine.

It was a small, but nice room with a balcony overlooking the city-jungle below. The room was open to the outside air. Obi-Wan noted a control panel and a line of force field emitters on the wall next to the balcony. He presumed that they could activate an enclosure if they wished. It likely activated automatically if the weather turned foul. Light shone in from a cloudless, aqua-tinged sky. Everything had a slightly greenish tinge to it from the light of the planet's primary star.

Obi-Wan put his travel pack on the sleep couch closest to the balcony. Then he looked up, silently asking permission. Qui-Gon nodded and put his own pack down on the other sleep couch. Obi-Wan sighed, now feeling embarrassed about his caution. Did he really think that his Master would send him back to the Temple because he had taken the wrong sleep couch?

This was their first official mission away from the Jedi Temple since the demise of his predecessor, Xanatos, Qui-Gon's former Padawan. It could hardly be called a mission, Obi-Wan thought. Qui-Gon was simply to represent the Jedi at a formal dinner of dignitaries from that region of space. Then they would return to the Temple. That was it. His only duty was to stand by Qui-Gon's side and say nothing.

He had not said anything about it, but Obi-Wan knew that this mission was a test for him. He was still on probation with the Jedi Council and technically he was not even Qui-Gon Jinn's Padawan. That status would be restored only when he had satisfied the Council. After making the mistake of leaving the Jedi Order, and betraying Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan Kenobi was determined to make no more mistakes again.

The room that they had been assigned to had the conveniences of a com, a desk, two chairs, two full-body chairs on the balcony, a private fresher, a clothes refresher and a leafy green plant in a pot on the desk. Qui-Gon touched a panel by the fresher and the mirrored door slid open. Even with his tall Master filling the doorway, Obi-Wan could see that it was small.

Qui-Gon asked Obi-Wan if he needed to use the facilities; he did not and he shook his head. Qui-Gon took his robe off and dropped it down in front of the clothes refresher and began loosening his belt. Tunic, undertunic, pants, boots; Qui-Gon took everything off and left it all in a pile before he went into the fresher, the mirrored door closing behind him. The one thing he kept was his lightsaber, which he, of course, took with him into the fresher.

Obi-Wan went over to the clothes refresher and stared down at the pile left behind for him. Grimacing, he supposed that there were some things for him to do on this mission. he just had not expected his Master's laundry to be one of them.

Obi-Wan bent down and separated the boots from the mass on the floor. He put the belt with its pouches on the small table next to the clothes refresher, which he activated. He carefully read th

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    [face_love] :* Easily one of the best cute pieces I've read in a long time. Loved the whole it. Poor Obi-Wan, to be caught out like that - by a see0-hourgh glass! [face_laugh] But loved the way Qui-Gon was amused at it all. What he must have thought when he saw Obi-wan waddling aorund in his robes, I can't imagine. Well, yes, I can. <Pictures dripping Qui-Gon looking pop-eyed at the whole spectacle> Whee!

Lovely, lovely piece. Poignant, and full of rich, beautiful mush.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, I love this story. It's so cute. [face_love]

?But the past, it seems,? Qui-Gon said with a wry smile. ?Is very much harder to fit into.? [face_laugh]

4. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Oh, but you surprised me. I was expecting toddler Obi, and you turned the idea on it's head in the most wonderful way. A lovely bit of character exploration where each learned something. Now what's that adage about the student teaching the teacher?

[face_laugh] at them both for taking their sabers into the freshers with them.

Where do I get me one of those clothes freshers?? I neeeeeeeeeed one. Folded clothes indeed. Ha ha!

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was not just cute, but beautiful as well. I thoroughly enjoyed how Obi-Wan went thourgh his master's clothes and the slight disappointment at fining no other secret items in his many pockets. The end especially 'awww' worthy with Qui-Gon's comment after trying on Obi-Wan's robe. [face_love] [face_love]

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwwwww....that was so sweet

@};- @};- @};- @};-

I just loved Obi-Wan's unease and Qui-Gon's patient understanding.

Very nice job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was adorable. I loved how Obi-Wan was going through the many pockets of the cloak and being so careful to do everything right. Loved the idea of a clothes cleaner also taking care of boots!
    Plus the image of Obi-Wan in that huge cloak is just so cute.

Great job.

8. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Embarrassingly cute little vig. It made me blush...I would have been terribly humiliated - I was mortified when, out of the blue, my dad quoted one of my fics.

I giggled insanely when I read about the one-way glass.

Beautiful, fluffy piece.

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Adorable and sweet! Just what I needed this morning! =D= [face_love] [:D]

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I read this last night when you posted it but I was too tired then to leave a review (it was one in the morning my time).

So cute! I just loved it! We need more fics like this. =D= Well done!

11. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Aww man, that's a great storu. I like the descriptions. Cool washing machine. It does shoes? How awesome is that. ;-) I'd like one. The robes were cute, een better when Qui Gon could SEE Obi Wan trying his robe on.

12. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Ohh. [face_love] That was very sweet. I've been anxiously waiting for you to write this bunny you spoke of in the Qui-Gon thread . I was so exicted to find you'd posted it! :D I loved that it was during that awkward time during Obi-Wan's probation, that made it more poignant, somehow. It was so realistic when Obi-Wan realized that his own long feet were no match for Qui-Gon's. [face_laugh] I think this vignette showed that no one was harder on Obi-Wan during his probation than Obi-Wan himself; obviously Qui-Gon still cared and showed understanding for the boy. The last line was so perfect. =D= =D=

13. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Awww, I loved that! Well done!

Poor Obi-Wan...:p

14. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    ...oh wow...total inspiration.....so adorable! Obi in that big 'ole cloak! I think I'll draw it after finals get over..Qui-gon is written so well in this.

15. nickenobi-nz

nickenobi-nz Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2005
    That is just lovely. :) Well done!

16. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Absolutely adorable.

Very cute and well written.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just checking for posting problems. :D :D

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Riiii-ght. <needles Leona> You wouldn't want to walk about in his robes, would you? :D

Loved the story all over again. [face_love] Obi-Wan!

19. ardavenport_QGJSock

ardavenport_QGJSock Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2006
    Testing...

Testing...

Thanks all so much for reading and replying!

I liked putting Obi-Wan in the inconvenient time when he's not sure about his position as Qui-Gon's padawan. But Qui-Gon has more experience and maturity, and probably some embarrassing youthful slip-ups in his past as well. He understands, but it's all new to poor Obi-Wan.

Since they will travel together a lot it's inevitable that they get into each other's clothes. Obi-Wan would want to do everything just right, but I think Qui-Gon would appreciate seeing an unguarded moment from him, too.:D

Padawans in oversized clothes are just so cute, and cuteness makes such good quality mush.:D

When I thought of the clothes fresher, I didn't have it doing nearly as much as it ended up doing. But I kept thinking, 'Nobody in the GFFA has to iron their clothes and they certainly don't have to fold them or clean their boots either! Yeah, I could use a machine like that, too.

Yes, they had to take their lightsabers in with them to the fresher. I thought about it [face_thinking] and it just didn't seem right for them to be without their lightsabers.

See..........this is my sock. Could you tell it was me? :D

For some bizzare reason, the forum would not let me reply. Logging out and logging in with a new browser window didn't work. Rebooting my computer didn't work. Trying to post on the next day didn't work. Finally, logging in as one of the socks I use for story links in the bio....that worked.

As far as I can tell, for some weird reason, the won't let 'ardavenport' post to this topic. If it keeps happening, I'll look for tech support and see they can puzzle it out.

Edit....but now it looks like the same thing happened with the sock. It seems to be something in the code I'd put at the top of the messages when I listed all the names of who had replied....

This bit of code does not make it lock up:

Princess_Arulmozhi, Valairy_Scot, Ara-gon, Healer_Leona

And....this bit of code does not make it lock up:

Princess_Arulmozhi, Valairy_Scot, Ara-gon, Healer_Leona, KELIA

Princess_Arulmozhi, Valairy_Scot, Ara-gon, Healer_Leona, KELIA, dianethx

Princess_Arulmozhi, Valairy_Scot, Ara-gon, Healer_Leona, KELIA, dianethx, ___Sithspawn___

And....this bit of code does not make it lock up, but it was loading a tad bit slow:

Princess_Arulmozhi, Valairy_Scot, Ara-gon, Healer_Leona, KELIA, dianethx, ___Sithspawn___, VaderLVR64

But THIS BIT makes it choke!!!

Princess_Arulmozhi, Valairy_Scot, Ara-gon, Healer_Leona, KELIA, dianethx, ___Sithspawn___, VaderLVR64, Layren

20. ardavenport_QGJSock2

ardavenport_QGJSock2 Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2006
    Testing again....just to see if I've completely hosed this thread with all the boldface code in the last message...

....ahhh, it's me, in a completely different sock. Isn't this a gread disguise. :D

Anyway....the lesson is:

I won't post too many things in boldface, spaced by commas, again.

At least, I think this is the problem. It could be something else. I guess I'll try posting a message with too many boldface things in the Communications forum and see if the tech people can enjoy this apparent bug as well. It seems to be repeatable.

21. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Testing....

Aaaaah, it lets me post again as myself. I'm back. :)

Uh, sorry about all the experimenting. Can you tell I'm a programmer?

And thanks P_A for the new reply; glad you enjoyed the story. Obi-Wan is just so cute in that big, ol' robe. :D

22. whatifisaidno

whatifisaidno Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2006
    Qui Gon killed me. That was hysterical. *grin*

23. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    Aww *melts* [face_love] that was too cute.

I love how you set up the situation. It added so much to the whole story :D

24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Aww that was indeed very cute!!! Awesome work!

25. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    ardavenport, I've had problems posting on my own threads more than once, but always in the Saga. It's really weird, especially when other people can come in and post with no problem. I don't know what causes it, maybe the coding thing you mentioned. What worked for me was cutting the post in half, and posting them separately. It can be very irritating, that's for sure! :)

What I really like about your stories is that they have so much thought in them. It would be one thing to just write a story about Obi-Wan walking around in his Master's oversized clothes, but to add the backstory gave it so much depth, and made the ending that much sweeter. I read this one all the time. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.