main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Vibes (JA, Obi/Xanatos, one-shot)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Title: Vibes
    Author: P_A
    Timeframe: JA, AU.
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Lightside Xanatos, Qui-Gon makes a brief appearance.
    Genre: Fluff, Humour, sort of.
    Summary: Obi-Wan and Xanatos are forced into each company for a brief period.
    Notes: This piece is an off-shoot of the 'Epistles' universe. Written for a lark. I wanted to write snarky Xan and ever-patient Obi-Wan. But don't ask for a plot. The name DeCrion belongs to the ever-brilliant o_e, Xan's girl.

?Come now. Just a little farther.?

There was a grunt. Half in acknowledgement, and half in exasperation. ?I am trying.?

?Do or no not, there is no try.?

The grunt came again, followed by a few halting footsteps. ?I would appreciate it if you didn?t start impersonating a well known, wretched tr? Master.?

?How disrespectful. You really ought to mind your manners. No, no, you can?t rest, here.?

A forest insect chirrped somewhere, deep within the foliage. Dapples of bright sunlight lit the leafy floor.

?Manners? You talk about manners??

?One needs no time and place to give lessons in etiquette.?

?How dare you.?

?Really, one would hardly know you by your lineage, considering the language you use.?

?How dare you.?

?Careful, you?re beginning to repeat yourself.?

?Wretched brat. Etiquette? I?ll teach you etiquette.? He groaned again. ?Once we sit down for a rest.?

?Hmm.? A ginger eyebrow quirked. ?So much for Knight DeCrion. How truly pathetic. I find it hard to believe that Qui-Gon actually chose you for an apprentice.?

?Scleret.? Xanatos swore and stopped short, his arm that was slung over Obi-Wan?s shoulders, clenching painfully. ?Mind your words, little padawan brother.?

?I am,? Obi-Wan remarked, candidly. ?In fact, I actually spent quite some time, delicately wording that insult.?

?You seem to have mastered the art of barbed insults quite well. Ever tried it with Qui-Gon himself??

?Where do you think I learnt it??

?Impossible. Qui-Gon is a Council Member.? Though his abnormally pale face was flushed, a gleam of appreciative amusement lit his blue eyes.

?Quite. He was one of the most dignified haughty Knights ? until he began to consort with pathetic life-forms such as you, and then he couldn?t seem to mind his tongue.? Obi-Wan chuckled. ?He admitted as much, to me.?

?All I know is that your behaviour is nothing like a conforming Jedi padawan. Certainly not?? he grimaced. ?Certainly not that of the Obi-Wan I knew. What would the Masters say??

?That it was your corrupting influence.?

?I am a prince, brat. Royal blood will not let me speak such words.?

?Except when under the intoxicating influence of certain spirits.?

?My personal tastes are none of your business. And stop provoking me into making wild and woolly statements, and let me rest.?

He stumbled over a small pothole on the track, and Obi-Wan tightened his grip painfully. ?Not now, I said,? he snapped. ?We have to walk until the fringe of the forest. And then you can loll about the grass as much you want.?

?Impossible. Let me die a dishonourable death here, brat.? Xanatos pulled himself off Obi-Wan?s grip and flopped on the grassy verge, trying hard to contain gasps that were threatening to overwhelm him. When he turned to look at Obi-Wan, his expression was wry. ?Save you the cost and effort of a proper pyre.? He looked at the dry leaves rustling on the forest floor. ?Plenty of burning material.?

Obi-Wan?s lips twisted. ?I daresay you wouldn?t want your lightsabre placed touching on your breast, your fingers clasping it nobly??

Xanatos nodded in approval. ?Especially as I don't have mine. You?ve mastered sarcasm, little one. I have taught you all I can," he flung an arm, theatrically. "Now, I can die in peace.?

Obi-Wan stood over him, his red-gold hair glinting in the sunlight. ?Stop that.?

There was a pause. Xanatos?s smile widened. ?Afraid, brat?? he said gently. ?Hasn?t your Master taught you anything at all??

Obi-Wan knelt beside

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolute perfection! =D=

Xanatos raised himself on his elbows, albeit with a good deal of effort. ?You,? he began, his blue eyes gleaming. ?You, are a babe in the woods. How do they expect you to even become a Knight? You have no foresight, no imagination??

Obi-Wan?s hands were busy. ?Why must I need imagination to disarm security guards??

?I am delirious with fever and am rambling. Now, kindly let me speak,? Xanatos barked. ?You could have captured one of their blasters; you could have used a mind-trick. You could have??

?Lost my lightsabre in a pond, and stand in front of three armed men, flapping my Jedi robe over them, as though I were herding nerf-cattle,? supplied Obi-Wan.

[face_laugh] Have to love the interaction between these two! [face_laugh]

3. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Love the banter. Love it. And the Xanatos/Qui-Gon dynamic at the end added the perfect touch. Thanks for this.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    My sympathies, padawan,? Qui-Gon murmured, as he arranged the Knight more comfortably in his arms, his head resting on Qui-Gon?s shoulders. ?This could not have been easy.? His eyes were brimming with amusement.

?I have discovered that I have hidden depths, Master. I will be as wise and patient as Master Yoda, when I ascend to the Council.?

?Insolent pup,? Xanatos said, succinctly. ?Qui-Gon, I will not suffer the further indignity of being carried by you, to boot. Put me down.?

?You are your usual sweet self, I see.? Qui-Gon followed slowly, behind Obi-Wan, as the former walked in front.

Oh, I loved the sarcasm and bantering. And the "waving robes" - hah!

Entertaining and wonderful as always from you.

5. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Obi-Wan and Xanatos tête-à-tête is great fun, although I think I prefer the written communiqués. More opportunities for word mismanagement, if you get my drift. :D

Is Obi-Wan yet aware of what Qui-Gon has stashed away with which to embarass him at the appropriate time? [face_mischief]

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I loved the banter between Obi-Wan and Xanatos - it was absolutely perfect.

?I would appreciate it if you didn?t start impersonating a well known, wretched tr?

Hey, what's everybody got against Yoda? :p

Excellent job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I adored this. The banter was just so perfect. I could see Qui-Gon's sarcastic influence on both his Padawans in this case. Plus I loved that Xan, by not admitting that he really liked Obi-Wan, was quite adorable.

Great job. =D=

8. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    The way you write banter makes me absolutely envious. It's wry, it's biting, yet the affection is right there, and it always makes me smile.

And, dare I say, this puts me in the mood for some more Epistles... [face_whistling]

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Xanatos drew himself up, pulling his arm off Obi-Wan. ?I am not injured,? he spoke, in as dignified a manner as he could ? and then promptly buckled into Qui-Gon?s waiting arms.

?My sympathies, padawan,? Qui-Gon murmured, as he arranged the Knight more comfortably in his arms, his head resting on Qui-Gon?s shoulders. ?This could not have been easy.? His eyes were brimming with amusement.

?I have discovered that I have hidden depths, Master. I will be as wise and patient as Master Yoda, when I ascend to the Council.?

?Insolent pup,? Xanatos said, succinctly. ?Qui-Gon, I will not suffer the further indignity of being carried by you, to boot. Put me down.?

?You are your usual sweet self, I see.? Qui-Gon followed slowly, behind Obi-Wan, as the former walked in front. ?Must you have made things more difficult, for him??

Ooh oh bravo, Princess! I usually don't read this pairing but I was just enthralled! It had your name on it, see, so I had to at least look ;) Poor Xan, I even felt bad for him ;) Especially with Qui-Gon's home remedies of herbal medicine [face_laugh][face_laugh] Well done!

10. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't know how you make everything fall so perfectly and gracefully into place. The humor, the relationships, the bonds they all have with one another. I loved Xanatos in this, his banter with Obi-Wan and then Qui-Gon was hilarious and very in character for him. [face_laugh] You kept his core essence without making him evil, an impressive feat indeed. =D= Funny and touching. I [face_love] it.

11. Xans_girl

Xans_girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    Applause applause! I throughly enjoyed this story and all of the banter within!

Am I dreaming, or did someone say I was brilliant? When did I ever deserve that?

Kudos once again!

[face_dancing]

12. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    =D= Loved every word. I can't get enough of stories with these two and you did an awesome job of writing them. :)

13. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    *Delighted, girlish noise*

Lovely, Princess. I adore the way you've portrayed Obi-Wan here--not meek at all, but rather impertinent and wry. The banter was simmered to perfection, too.

The exasperation in that last line made me laugh. Could picture the whole thing, as always. Your writing, dear, is like watching something on video--but nicer, because there's no noise to make my head hurt any more than it already is. And no crappy dialogue.[face_plain]

Marvelous ending too. Xan's not going to admit to anything is he? [face_laugh]

Absolutely gorgeous. I always have to fight sounding like a broken record when I review something of yours--there are only so many synonyms for "awesome" in the English language.

Perhaps I'll have to revert to another?

Alucinante!

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I love the banter between those two.

15. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    ?Quite. He was one of the most dignified haughty Knights ? until he began to consort with pathetic life-forms such as you, and then he couldn?t seem to mind his tongue.? Obi-Wan chuckled. ?He admitted as much, to me.?

?All I know is that your behaviour is nothing like a conforming Jedi padawan. Certainly not?? he grimaced. ?Certainly not that of the Obi-Wan I knew. What would the Masters say??

?That it was your corrupting influence.?

These two are too funny! Obi-Wan must frustrate poor Xanatos to no end. Well, he did learn from the best. [face_devil]

The banter was great! I definitely like this AU-verse.

16. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Truly wonderful! =D=

17. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Thanks for the lovely replies. :D

VaderLVR64: Yes, I keep thinking that if a Light!Xan had existed, this is what he might have been like. Thank you!

Dragonlady: Banter is my favourite too. Thanks! :D

Valairy_Scot: Waving robes. Heh. [face_laugh] Thanks. :)

Musing: Lol, I suppose badly spelt letters do have their charm. ;) No, Obi-Wan doesn't have any idea yet - but he might, soon. [face_laugh] Thanks, dear.

KELIA: Nothing against Yoda - it's just that when everyone wants to find a convenient excuse, they target the little green master. He's so far away after all. :D Thanks for reading!

dianethx: Yes, Qui-Gon's influence is apparent, even if both Xan and Obi are poles apart in temperament and behaviour - they've been trained by the same teacher. [face_love]Thank you, m'lady.

DarthMousche: More epistles coming soon. :D I'm glad you liked the humour - I like it biting and sarcastic, yet with a subtle undercurrent of affection. I'm glad it came though. :)

Layren: Yay, I made you peep in! [face_dancing] See, you even liked Xan. A bit. I'm glad you dropped in, dear. Thank you!

LuvEwan: From you, those words are very high praise, my dear. And I'm so glad everything fell into place. Keeping everyone in character was a major challenge (even if it was only a vig.)

Xans_girl: Lol, you are brilliant. Delighted that you loved the banter. :D

obi_ew : Yay! It's o-e! Thank you. [face_blush]

Fluff-Slayer: Someone will have to give you an award for great reviews or something. Lovely words, and thank you ever so much. Noted the point about a noiseless video. [face_mischief]

PadawanKitara: Thanks, PK.

corellian-jedi: Hey, long time no see! thanks for dropping in. Glad you liked. [:D]

honour: Thank you. :)

18. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I'm slowly digging up and reading your old stories in my spare time, and I have to say, I'm thrilled I found this one, though I haven't read the story it's an offshoot from yet--this made my night, I can tell you! It's rare to see such a well-written AU-verse non-evil Xanatos, and I loved all the snarkiness and impertinence that was being bantered about. :D Both Obi-Wan and Xanatos were perfectly in character, and that, I think, is quite an accomplishment, considering. I especially liked "I am a prince, brat," and the argument over what had really happened.

?I will not admit that I found him a great help. I will not admit that he was a source of strength. And I certainly won?t admit that he never gives up, the little brat.? Xanatos murmured, careful not to meet Qui-Gon?s eyes. ?There. I will risk expulsion from the ranks of the Jedi, by saying that I dislike him from the bottom of my heart.?

?Excellent,? smiled Qui-Gon, content.

What a great ending! I loved the whole thing [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

19. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Obi-Wan knelt beside him, pounding at what he had found with a small stone, until he had a little mass of green mush. He brought it towards the older man, who looked at it, frankly disgusted. ?If you have any intention of using that on me, I shall pulverize you with my Sithly powers.?

*snickers uncontrollably*
    This was great! I love the banter between Obi and Xani. It's so funny how they drive each other up the wall!
    An excellent story, my friend. Keep up the good work!

20. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006

The language of the characters remarks give them so much personality.

?In fact, I actually spent quite some time, delicately wording that insult?

Every line is a gem. Loved your stories on Xan. Let me know when you post more!!!

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] They fight like brothers! Well, maybe with a lot less physical sparring, but still. :p In their back and forths, you did such a great job of showing how much they really care for each other, and how much fun they have together. Lovely. [face_love]

22. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    So. I was perusing the boards, as one does, and I noticed this story popped up again. Warmed with delight, and the prospect of your writing's usual cheering effect on my mood, I clicked. I've not read your lovely, witty style in so long, I couldn't help but reread this gem. And then---I realized I hadn't reviewed in the first place! *facepalm* *kneels in the standard admonished Padawan pose* Sorrrrry. :(

I absolutely freaking adore it. Your Xanatos is so charming, and your dialogue is outright enviable. It's so fluid and ...noisy, really. I can hear the character's voices, their chatter, it's great.

I'm really charmed by your Obi-Wan in particular. I didn't think anyone could write an Obi as perfectly in-character, and yet so distinctly fresh and....yours, really! You possess characters with such spirit! :)

Humorous, clever, beautiful.

Rock on, Princess! :) =D=

23. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Xanatos is so.......impossible! He's the Jedi curmudgeon. He makes a spirited light-sider.[face_mischief]

24. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That was absolutely brilliant!=D=

He dislikes him from the bottom of his heart.

Yeah Right!:D

25. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    In need of some good vibes around here, given the weather. :rolleyes:

So, here we go...up! @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.