main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Reunited - Dare Challenge Spring 06 Entry (Ani/Obi/Qui - Angst)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by PadwanKayla, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Title: Reunited
    Author: PadwanKayla
    Timeframe: Immediately after Vader?s death Saga/After the Saga
    Characters: Anakin, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan
    Genre: Angst
    Summary: After Anakin?s death, he finds his way in the Force
    Notes: Written for the Spring 06 Dare Challenge. This was an orphan dare which I adopted late in the game so have mercy. The dare was to write about Force Ghosts After the Saga. I stretched this somewhat in that this is actually at the very end of the Saga really before the Force Ghosts appear to Luke ala revisionist Return of the Jedi with a young Anakin Force ghost. Huge thanks to my wonderful beta AnakinGirl05 who beta?d the first 1000 words at the last minute. In the last section, any errors are totally mine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He smiled at his son and closed his eyes, contented, at peace. He felt himself drift out of consciousness now as if he were falling asleep, a sleep which had eluded him for as many years as he had been encased in his life-maintaining armour. The constant mechanical sounds of his respirator and monitors had finally ceased and the silence was deafening. Fear momentarily gripped him in this void as he lost all sensation. He felt the last vestiges of electrical current dissipate and he could no longer move his limbs. His last intake of breath was shallow and he felt himself slip out of his shell.

He was adrift with no connection but rather than experiencing any panic now, he held fast to that which was himself, that which his son had reawakened, that which he knew now was once again Anakin and no longer Vader. He remained alone as he had been for so long. Any connection he had chosen to make with others in these last two decades had been to produce obedience or to induce fear. He could never allow another to see his vulnerability and so had suppressed his need for emotional contact, burying that which had once made him Anakin.

His greatest bond, the Force bond he once held with his former Master had made him vulnerable. It was a connection held so long, started as a training bond, forged through countless trials and made deep and strong with shared adversity. Even with the passing of so many years, Anakin knew not which of them had finally severed the bond. He knew only that it was gone when he had screamed his hatred at Obi-Wan, hatred that had intensified while lying on the lava banks of Mustafar, hatred that the Dark Side had encompassed his very being and would allow Anakin no other companion.

His son had somehow found this vulnerability, this vestige of the old bond within him and for a brief time, Anakin had again found his need to connect with another and he made his choice. That choice had lead to this, to this void and he held regret now that his solitary existence would resume for eternity. He had no illusions that this was not as it should be for he had chosen this path. His final choice in his corporeal existence, the choice to destroy the emperor, had been the right one, the only one he could truly make. It had been his destiny and in so choosing, he had fulfilled the long held prophesy of that now long-departed Jedi order. That their original view of how this prophecy would be brought to fruition was in error, mattered not. What mattered was that in the end, he, Anakin Skywalker, The Chosen One, the now cursed one, had completed his task of bringing balance to the Force, just as the great Jedi, Qui-Gon Jinn had anticipated. He could accept if he, Anakin, was to become one with the Force in this manner, to continue alone; he had no regret for this. What regret remained was that he had chosen such a violent and circuitous route to fulfill his task, though that now mattered not. It was done; it was over as was his life and his physical pain. Even as no one would mourn him, he would not mourn his own loss.

The struggle was over and acceptance of his end had become his gift.

?Father.? The word echoed in the distant reaches of Anakin?s mind, touching him, comforting him.

2. Kissa

Kissa Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2006
    Nice challenge response.

I like how it was Qui-gon who greeted him first. :)

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm so glad to know that Qui-Gon was there for him! :_|

He was adrift with no connection but rather than experiencing any panic now, he held fast to that which was himself, that which his son had reawakened, that which he knew now was once again Anakin and no longer Vader. He remained alone as he had been for so long. Any connection he had chosen to make with others in these last two decades had been to produce obedience or to induce fear. He could never allow another to see his vulnerability and so had suppressed his need for emotional contact, burying that which had once made him Anakin.

Absolutely beautiful! =D=

4. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    =D= This was lovely! Wonderful how the one who always believed in him,still believed in him even after all that he had done. And it was greta how Obi was glad to see him - even after Anakin had been the one to kill him!
    =D= Lovely.

5. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I love it. I had tears in my eyes when I first read it in fact...You know I have a soft spot for Qui-Gon and to know that it was he who first greeted Anakin was and incredible vision for me, and then to sense Anakin's joy at both that and at finally seeing Obi again...*big sigh*

Wonderful job!!! Sorry I did not get to the end of the beta honey, but looks like you didn't need it anyway...

Yay for seeing you writing again![:D]

6. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I liked the idea that Anakin would be reunited with Qui-Gon after his death, not just Obi-Wan and Yoda who we see . . . very touching. Nice work :)

7. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Last minute responce? Ha! My big toe!

That was a wonderful responce to a Dare challenge! Qui-Gon would be the one to greet him first - I was so impressed by the emotion you put into this, PadwanKayla. You did a marvelous job!

Bravo! =D=

8. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Very nice response to the Dare Challenge. If that's the kind of prose you can write at the eleventh hour--whoa!

Excellent job with the characterization.

=D=

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wonderful answer to the challenge. So very enjoyable.

10. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    Oh this is so gentle in its beauty. Well done! I too adore the fact that Qui-Gon is first in line with the welcoming committee; he did find out how to become a force ghost first after all. But that last bit where he is reunited with Obi-Wan, I just wanted to hug them both! And I love the measured way Anakin lets go of Vader in his mind and heart, just gorgeous.

Wonderful job! =D=

11. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Very well written and dramatic. :)

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I really enjoyed this vig, PadawaKayla! I thought your confused depiction of Vader in the ether between death and his new life is touching. A man who knew his sin, but also knew when to do the right thing. A man also who was content to be alone as atonement for that sin. Vewry well done. I can't help but notice the paralells to the prodigal son parable.

The constant mechanical sounds of his respirator and monitors had finally ceased and the silence was deafening.

I love Vader's resigned, yet relieved perspective on his armor and respirator.

?How could Qui-Gon every forgive me for destroying Obi-Wan. How can I ever forgive myself,? he thought.

Yet here was Qui-Gon with the full knowledge of Anakin?s actions, welcoming him back, delighting in seeing him again.

Very prodigal son. I love it.

?Thanks to your teachings Master, my son has lead me back,? Anakin said embracing his friend and brother of his heart.

My lips trembled here at the end because of your wonder pacing. Obi-Wan and Anakin's reunion is well done. I can see the two of them sitting beside a fountain or a river or something. The old Obi-Wan and the young Anakin discussing what has gone before. Beautiful ending, Kayla.

13. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Thanks so much for the lovely comments! They honestly were unexpected!

Kissa - I pictured Qui-Gon being the one to first greet Anakin as he did find him initially.

VaderLVR64 - thank you so much.

Meredith_Kenobi - my image was that it was Jedi who had the ability to become force ghosts so it seemed right that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were there, accepting Anakin. Thanks.

AnakinGirl05 - thanks sweetie, for the beta job of course and for your kind words. I thought you?d like seeing Qui-Gon and of course, our Obi-Wan.

JediNemesis - thank you so much for the comments. Glad you liked it.

Jade_Max - I seem to be about the angst these day! Thanks for reading and it did take a couple of days, really!

oqidaun - I do seem to work okay under pressure. I always feel inadequate when it comes to canon characters so I glad you found them acceptable.

Healer_Leone - Thank you so much and glad you enjoyed it.

Dark_Disciple - thanks so much girl. I?m always pleased to hear your comments and am glad you liked it.

Sara_Kenobi - I did start out by trying to do something humorous, but this just felt truer to me. Thanks for reading.

brodiew - I love your prodigal son comparison. It does seem to fit. Thanks for all your wonderful comments and what a lovely image of the two of them sitting by a river or water of some sort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.