main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Flood of Inight -- Qui-Gon, young Obi-Wan, AU, **COMPLETE** -- 16-Jun-2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Flood of Insight
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, AU-non-JA
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, various OCs
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, water
    Summary: A simple, diplomatic mission is interrupted by catastrophe
    Notes: This story assumes that Obi-Wan Kenobi apprenticed to Qui-Gon Jinn at the age of 8 or 9, a version of EU/AU attributed to a Lucas interview that I don?t have the reference for. Fair warning: the pacing is completely backwards, story-telling-wise. It starts with action and it slows down throughout to contemplation, because that?s just the kind of story it is. Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

The large, decorated doors to the conference room suddenly parted.

?That boy of yours has gone insane!? Amis Bel, the villa security chief, a large, muscular man with short, bright orange hair, advanced on the table of unhappy conferees. ?He?s taken that laser sword of his and he?s chasing everyone up the hill!?

What? Qui-Gon stared at the completely inexplicable interruption before hastily getting out of his chair and going to the large meeting room?s balcony.

Far down below, in the picture-perfect garden valley, they heard the faint sounds of distress rising from the running crowds below. A tiny, short line of blue chased them up winding paths. It jumped from one path to another and another, back and forth, swiping at any stragglers. A few got away, dodged to the side to escape, but most of them simply fled straight away up the steep paths. They sometimes stumbled over each other, but the always got up to flee to the safety of the villas high above.

Fascinated, they all stared down at the spectacle. He?s herding them, Qui-Gon thought.

An insight from some un-speaking part the Force interpreted what he was seeing.

He?s getting them to higher ground.

Then he felt it. An enormous disturbance in the Force, rising up from the ground, booming and huge. Alarmed, Qui-Gon looked up at the natural dam in the canyon wall, at the artfully placed waterfalls that spilled out from the thickly overgrown barrier that wouldn?t hold back the lake water beyond it.

Of course, if the planetary government couldn?t manage the satellite communications properly, then their seismic monitors could easily be defective as well.

Qui-Gon rapidly looked from side to side at the cliff-side building they were in with its flying buttresses and hanging balconies. It was locally built; it should hold.

But was he sure?

?Out!?

Qui-Gon own lightsaber flew from his belt into his hand and activated. The conferees jumped, hastily backing up into the room again and away from the bright green blade.

?Go! Now!? He destroyed a chair for emphasis. Some of the negotiators needed no further prompting and fled, but the orange-haired security chief and a few others objected.

?There?s a ground quake coming. Get out of the building! NOW!? His saber hummed louder as he destroyed another chair and hacked off a chunk of table. They ran.

Out the huge double door, Qui-Gon pelted after them down the lavishly decorated halls. The city was built on a steep hillside. If there were landslides, it was possible that there would be no safe place, but Qui-Gon was still sure that outside was better than inside. Others had taken up the call and more people were running to the exits.

Qui-Gon had just burst outside into the sunny stone courtyard when it started. He deactivated his saber and clipped it to his belt as he ran away from the building. There were hoots and screams and he saw someone fall out of a window.

The ground seemed to reach up a

2. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    O_O eep! thats always scary, when a child is so close to drowning. Qui's panic was well done, it was similar to a time a little girl got her head stuck in the edge drain of the pool and I realized she was drowning...scary, and you wrote it exactly how it feels.

Poor Obi, it always him...

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    So engrossing and well-written, you are officially now on my "watch list" as an author!

PM me!

Qui-Gon own lightsaber flew from his belt into his hand and activated. The conferees jumped, hastily backing up into the room again and away from the bright green blade.

?Go! Now!? He destroyed a chair for emphasis. Some of the negotiators needed no further prompting and fled, but the orange-haired security chief and a few others objected.

?There?s a ground quake coming. Get out of the building! NOW!? His saber hummed louder as he destroyed another chair and hacked off a chunk of table. They ran.
    Two crazy Jedi, I'm sure the locals thought. I found it funny.

The Jedi leaped up, over a path of panicked people, onto a prominent, flower-draped rock. He scanned the devastation around him. The raging dam break had destroyed everything and the water still rose, consuming more of the once picturesque gardens. Everything below had been drowned, pounded into heavy, hungry brown water that surged with debris, snapped trees, wrecked buildings and sometimes lifeless bodies. That's some vivid description.

A sudden chill traveled down Qui-Gon?s body, the chill of water, closing in, a lack of air...

Obi-Wan!

Qui-Gon leapt off of his perch, over the heads of fleeing people and droids. He ran along the side of the path, Force-leaping over obstacles when he had to, not knowing which way it led him, only that the Force guided him down toward his Padawan.

You get a real sense of Qui's urgency here.

=D= =D=

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh, looking forward to more! Can you add me to the udpate list? [face_praying]

Qui-Gon spotted a familiar, small form on an open, isolated patch of gravel.

?Obi-Wan!? Two leaps brought him to the a flat piece of ground near the still body. He sensed life, but distress as well.

?Obi-Wan.? He turned him over. The boy?s frightened eyes looked up at him, he opened his mouth to speak, but coughed violently instead. Qui-Gon sat him up, supporting his narrow shoulders with his arm, the wide fabric of his robe sleeve covering the ten-year old?s back. His clothes were rapidly drying, but he was still damp and chilled. He pulled the boy close to him while the coughing fit continued.

?Ma...Mas...?

?Don?t speak,? he said gently. He rubbed Obi-Wan?s arm. The coughing stilled; the boy relaxed as the Force from his Master warmed his body. Qui-Gon sensed no serious pain from him. Though half-drowned and bruised, his tunic and pants torn in places, his injuries seemed modest. He was also well above the raging water below, with no hint to how he?d gotten there. All around them people yelled, some of them screamed. Qui-Gon looked up to see someone flailing in the raging, brown water below, helplessly carried away.

I was worried there for a minute! [face_worried] A great start! =D=

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    What a start!!! Phew! You had me a bit worried that perhaps... well, Obi-Wan's alive so things are good.

Might I be added to the PM list as well?

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I really loved this first post. The way you introduced Obi-Wan's actions was quite an eye-catcher - the OC thought he had gone insane but Qui recognized that he was herding the people to higher ground. Really quite brilliant.

The idea of Qui-Gon cutting furniture in half to get their attention was really amusing and wonderful at the same time.

The descriptions of the flood and the earthquake were quite vivid and I could picture it very clearly in my head.

Great job.

7. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was an excellent opener. =D= It started out calmly enough, so that the eruption of disaster was that more shocking. I loved how realistic it was, that Qui-Gon would have to help the man he knew he could save, while leaving his young Padawan in danger of death. The whole thing was very visceral and jarring and absorbing. I can't wait for the next chapter. :)

8. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Lady_Snow_Kaguya: O_O eep! thats always scary, when a child is so close to drowning. Qui's panic was well done, it was similar to a time a little girl got her head stuck in the edge drain of the pool and I realized she was drowning...scary, and you wrote it exactly how it feels.

Poor Obi, it always him...

Yes, poor Obi-Wan! He does get beaten up a bit in the fanfics. And poor Qui-Gon, too. Rescues can be very scary; the worst outcome is possible. Thanks for reading!

Valairy_Scot: So engrossing and well-written, you are officially now on my "watch list" as an author!
    You get a real sense of Qui's urgency here.

Thank you for the honor! Rescuing Obi-Wan is urgent business.

VaderLVR64: Oh, looking forward to more!
    I was worried there for a minute! A great start!

Thanks!

Healer_Leona: What a start!!! Phew! You had me a bit worried that perhaps... well, Obi-Wan's alive so things are good.

Oooooh, it would be a completely different story if Obi-Wan hadn?t survived! No, that?s not my intention. Thanks for reading!

dianethx: I really loved this first post. The way you introduced Obi-Wan's actions was quite an eye-catcher - the OC thought he had gone insane but Qui recognized that he was herding the people to higher ground. Really quite brilliant.

The idea of Qui-Gon cutting furniture in half to get their attention was really amusing and wonderful at the same time.

The descriptions of the flood and the earthquake were quite vivid and I could picture it very clearly in my head.

Thanks! Jedi must be aware of what a really good attention-getter a lightsaber can be...and how to use it.

LuvEwan: That was an excellent opener. It started out calmly enough, so that the eruption of disaster was that more shocking. I loved how realistic it was, that Qui-Gon would have to help the man he knew he could save, while leaving his young Padawan in danger of death. The whole thing was very visceral and jarring and absorbing. I can't wait for the next chapter.

Glad you?re enjoyed it! Yes, one aspect of being a Jedi is being selfless, so no matter what was going on with Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon had to save the people in need who were right there. Fortunately, other rescuers showed up, so he could get to Obi-Wan.

And now some more...

<><>+<><>+<><>+<><>+<><>+<><> part 2

Qui-Gon left the balcony, climbing a curved stairway up to a small plaza where shocked crowds gathered. Standing on a bench, a villa attendant in a stained, light blue tunic and green vest gestured and yelled for people to go toward the landing field. Qui-Gon joined the crowd, climbing more stairs, walking past toppled small buildings; groups of people and droids were already searching them for survivors.

In his arms, Obi-Wan remained as still as possible. He wheezed, but otherwise did not seem to have any other breathing difficulties. Qui-Gon sensed a growing nausea in his apprentice. The motion of his ascent had jarred him badly and he was fighting for control. Qui-Gon calmed him through their shared connection with the Force. Obi-Wan released his grip on his tunic and pressed his hand to his chest in gratitude.

Built on a natural plateau, people were massing there on the open duracrete field used for speeders, transports and spacecraft. The crowd slowed. Up ahead at an entrance, a line of three more attendants directed people toward different area as they approach. Qui-Gon immediately noticed that all the large spaceships had been moved to the far end of the field, or taken away entirely. As large an area as possible had been cleared for the survivors? use.

When he finally reached them one of them pointed him toward an open area near a row of gold, gilded sky skimmers. Qui-Gon strode toward the marked off area, passing two, limping Gran and two other people carrying a third.

A growing crowd of wounded looked for help within the invisible refuge of the markers. A loader zoomed up, dumped crates ne

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Great job on the aftermath. I loved how you explained all the organization and how people were rescuing others and coming to the camp for medical treatment. Poor Obi-Wan, trying to do the best he can - he did manage to save others, as a Jedi should. I really got the feeling of being there and watching it all come out.

Wonderful. =D=

10. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I loved the descriptions. trust Obi-Wan to be so selfless. And the parts where Qui-Gon rescues his padawan. I liked it that he recognized things were already being done, and that he would do much better sitting to one side. It sounded to natural, and fit. If one is a Jedi, it doesn't mean they have to poke themselves into natural disasters all the time.

Loved the Qui/Obi interaction. Especially when someone cried "Papa!", and Qui-Gon touched Obi-Wan's arm. [face_love]

11. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I refreshed the page and suddenly there was an update from you. Hazzah. [face_dancing]

Oh wow. That was so sad and realistic.

He stared at the device a moment, as if it had personally insulted him before he put it away.

That line made me smile, though. I could perfectly picture Qui-Gon doing that exact sort of thing. [face_laugh]

Qui-Gon's subtle feelings of protectiveness for Obi-Wan were very well done. In the middle of the crisis, he keeps reaching out to his apprentice, like he needs to reassure himself that Obi-Wan made it out alright.

Wonderful job.

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, very nice! Like LuvEwan said, I like the way Qui kept reaching out to reassure himself that Obi was okay.

Qui-Gon straightened, looking down at the sleeping child. He sighed. Obi-Wan was indeed still a child, too young to send on any serious missions, but sitting at a negotiating table while unpleasant people hurled insults at each other was not supposed to have been a difficult mission. The participants of these negotiations not only disagreed with each other, they actively, personally hated each other, too, and neither side had hesitated to shower their ill-will on Qui-Gon as the Republic?s neutral observer. Even Otnox, the Senate negotiator and a tough, seasoned politician who had arrived with Qui-Gon, had been surprised by their venom.
    I imagine that must have been unpleasant for a child to listen to, but hey, he's a Jedi padawan.

I loved the comlink exchange as others have commented, and Qui's acknowledgement that at the moment he was best to stay out of the way.

Looking forward to much more.

13. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Gee I'm so tired, but I HAD to finish this chapter, even with my eyes going all blurry.

Wow, I really love the way you describe the scene, it seems so real that I could see all that was going on! It takes a lot of talent to do that!

Good work! =D=

More soon? [face_batting]

14. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That's my boy![face_dancing]
    even only ten years old and he saves others
    before himself.

Nice story :D

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Very sweet post. Loved the insight into Qui-Gon as he made his way to the medical droid and how as much as he wanted Obi-Wan seen asap, he had to go to the back of the line.

LIke others, loved the detail of Qui-Gon reaching for Obi-Wan when he heard someone call out papa. [face_love] [face_love]

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I agree, superb and realistic job of describing the aftermath of a tragedy.

?Ah.? Qui-Gon understood. Obi-Wan had lost his lightsaber in the flood. Obi-Wan was too young yet, to build his own lightsaber. It had only been a training lightsaber from the Temple, but Padawans were still taught to treat them with reverence in preparation for the day when they would make their own.

The older Jedi looked down at his pupil?s apologetic blue-gray eyes. ?We shall get another one, later.? He stoked the boy?s head, encouraging him to relax. ?You put the one you had to good use. Your insight serves you well. I am very proud of you.? Obi-Wan?s eyes left his to look at the rescue scene around them. There were hundreds of beings and droids gathered on the landing field around them.

Poor Obi-Wan! So worried about his saber. [:D] Hugs to him (okay, that was purely for my own sake!)

Lovely update, and thank you for the PM. =D=

17. rabideuphonium

rabideuphonium Jedi Master star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    Awwww!

How unbearably cute!

And how just like Obi to give up his breather!

If you have a PM list, could you add me to it?

What a wonderful post!

-rabideuphonium

18. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    I've been in a big quake, and you nailed the description of one. Brava!

Loved the idea of Obi and Qui using their lightsabers to herd people. I imagine some people were quite offended initially!

I loved how you returned Obi's aqua breather and filled in some of the details of his actions.

19. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    dianethx: Great job on the aftermath. I loved how you explained all the organization and how people were rescuing others and coming to the camp for medical treatment. Poor Obi-Wan, trying to do the best he can - he did manage to save others, as a Jedi should. I really got the feeling of being there and watching it all come out.

Thank you! I tried to imagine an enviably efficient operation; so efficient, in fact, that a Jedi who happened to be in the area, wouldn?t have much of a role past the immediate crisis. Obi-Wan certainly tried his best, but afterward, when everything is being taken care of, Jedi patience is most important.

Princess_Arulmozhi: I loved the descriptions. trust Obi-Wan to be so selfless. And the parts where Qui-Gon rescues his padawan. I liked it that he recognized things were already being done, and that he would do much better sitting to one side. It sounded to natural, and fit. If one is a Jedi, it doesn't mean they have to poke themselves into natural disasters all the time.

Loved the Qui/Obi interaction. Especially when someone cried "Papa!", and Qui-Gon touched Obi-Wan's arm.

I sometimes wonder if Jedi get see much of the aftermath of a disaster they?re in ? it doesn?t look like it judging from the movies. But if they were caught in a purely random disaster, where they didn?t have a role, I like to think that Qui-Gon would know when he needs to do nothing.

Qui-Gon reacting to the cry of ?Papa!? was an accident for me; I wanted Qui-Gon to watch people being reunited and I wanted him to be protective of Obi-Wan, but I didn?t realize how the two actions connected until you mentioned it. Thanks for pointing it out and for reading!

LuvEwan: Qui-Gon's subtle feelings of protectiveness for Obi-Wan were very well done. In the middle of the crisis, he keeps reaching out to his apprentice, like he needs to reassure himself that Obi-Wan made it out alright.

If they were in the middle of the crisis, doing things, being busy, then I don?t think it would be visible to anyone watching them. When all there is to do is wait, the proctectiveness will show in Qui-Gon, especially with Obi-Wan so young. Thanks for reading!

Valairy_Scot: Oh, very nice! Like LuvEwan said, I like the way Qui kept reaching out to reassure himself that Obi was okay.

I loved the comlink exchange as others have commented, and Qui's acknowledgement that at the moment he was best to stay out of the way.

Glad you enjoyed it! Qui-Gon?s smart enough to know when to stay put and he?s confident enough to know when someone he gets blown off it?s not personal, even if he doesn?t like it.

MASTER_KAYM: Gee I'm so tired, but I HAD to finish this chapter, even with my eyes going all blurry.

Wow, I really love the way you describe the scene, it seems so real that I could see all that was going on! It takes a lot of talent to do that!

Sorry to keep you up, but I?m glad you?re reading and replying.

Gkilkenny: That's my boy!
    even only ten years old and he saves others
    before himself.

Thanks! Yeah, Obi-Wan is a Jedi to the core.

Healer_Leona: Very sweet post. Loved the insight into Qui-Gon as he made his way to the medical droid and how as much as he wanted Obi-Wan seen asap, he had to go to the back of the line.

Thanks much! Yes, those Jedi are selfless; Qui-Gon won?t even try to cut into the line.

VaderLVR64: I agree, superb and realistic job of describing the aftermath of a tragedy.

Poor Obi-Wan! So worried about his saber. Hugs to him (okay, that was purely for my own sake!)

Yes, hugs to Obi-Wan.[:D] Thanks!

rabideuphonium: And how just like Obi to give up his breather!

He?s a great Jedi.:) Thanks for reading!

Ara-gon: I've been in a big quake, and you nailed the description of one. Brava!

Loved the idea of Obi and Qui using their lightsabers to herd people. I imagine some people were quite o

20. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    <><>+<><>+<><>+<><>+<><>+<><> part 3

Qui-Gon exited the area of cots and injury and crossed the pale, gray duracrete, his dark brown Jedi robe billowing behind him in the breeze that had picked up in the open area. As he approached, another conferee joined them, Uhboe, the stout deputy prefect of the Southern Continent. The discussion was not going well.

They stood together in a clump, at the end of the row of sky-skimmers. The three primary negotiators and most of their assorted seconds, deputies and aides seemed to have reconvened into an informal conference that looked as if it would be every bit at poisonous as the official talks.

Uhboe announced, in her loud, commanding voice, that the negotiations were ended after this disaster. Her long, metallic pink tunic shimmered in the sunlight as she took a challenging pose, her hands on her hips. No one in the Republic, she declared, could possibly doubt the planetary government?s total incompetence and the Southern Continent?s petition for separate representation in Galactic Senate now had to be approved.

Otnox?s thin, reptilian tail switched with annoyance under the back hem of his suit jacket. Qui-Gon didn?t even need the Force to read Otnox?s thin lipped offense at the statement. Paradoxically, Qui-Gon sensed that the Senate negotiator agreed with Uhboe?s statement, but he hated being told what he should think so much that he was considering rejecting it. Fortunately, Otnox?s better nature took over and he avoided getting into the fight altogether. Instead, he suggested that they find a private place to continue their negotiations instead of doing it in the open air. Both Macmas and Uhboe agreed to this, but then they stood where they were, arguing about where they should go since all the buildings were evacuated.

Qui-Gon folded his arms before him, tucking them into the opposite sleeves of his robe. He was supposed to be the trusted, neutral observer, to speak only when spoken to first, in times of impasse when a fresh and impartial viewpoint was needed. He felt quite certain that if they now asked him where they should go, he would have a great deal of trouble giving them a civil answer.

Obi-Wan was supposed to have been a second and silent observer, but at ten standard years (almost eleven, Obi-Wan had later reminded his Master), the negotiators had decreed Obi-Wan to be too young to have anything to do with the conference, not even as an observer. This pronouncement had come in spite of the fact that they had been told well in advance who the Jedi Order was sending and they had approved the choice.

So, Obi-Wan had been sent away, unhappy and offended, down into the gardens below with his Master?s admonishment that his lesson from this bad start was that a true diplomat never sank to the lowest level of the group in a negotiation. Obi-Wan?s only consolation was that the Jedi Council had also been displeased when his Master had reported the last minute change to them, before the first day?s negotiations began.

After many hours of arguing, the conferees had not once asked for Qui-Gon?s opinion; they had hardly ever looked at him. Qui-Gon wondered if the real reason why a Jedi observer had been requested for these negotiations was in case he was needed to stop the conferees from killing each other. They had certainly been angry enough back in the villa for Qui-Gon to clearly discern the pictures of the violence that they wished on those on the other side of the table.

Qui-Gon felt a warning in the Force.

His first thought was that an aftershock of the first quake was imminent, but the warning wasn?t so broad or deep. He turned around, just before the man behind him cried out.

?You!!?

A male with frazzled, dark green hair pointed at Macmas and his aides. He wore the blue tunic and green vest of the villa staff. A crowd of people that he had apparently been leading stood behind him, some puzzled, some interested, others dispirited and hurt.

?You did this! Where was the warning! A blind hurdu-pusher could see a g

21. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Oh great!! Another chapter!! I don't really have a lot of time right now, so I'll just say it was really good ;) Thanks for writting :)

22. rabideuphonium

rabideuphonium Jedi Master star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    Awww, another awesome chapter. Personally I think that Qui-Gon needs to tell the negotiators just where to shove their bickering! Heh. Now *that* would be amusing. Oh well, thanks for the PM!

-rabeuph

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Another great chapter, and poor Obi's panic and the beings just wanting to thank him. That was great.

After many hours of arguing, the conferees had not once asked for Qui-Gon?s opinion; they had hardly ever looked at him. Qui-Gon wondered if the real reason why a Jedi observer had been requested for these negotiations was in case he was needed to stop the conferees from killing each other. They had certainly been angry enough back in the villa for Qui-Gon to clearly discern the pictures of the violence that they wished on those on the other side of the table.

I can just so imagine!

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Ack, like so many in charge it seems the negotiators are that into doing much in the way of negotiating. :rolleyes: At first I wasn't sure what wsa going on with Obi-Wan, glad to see it was only freindly being trying to thank him. :)

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved that you put the aftershock in. A lot of people would forget a detail like that. The idea of the bureaucrats fighting while all around them is the evidence of disaster sounds about right. I'm glad to see that Obi-Wan is well enough to understand what is going on although he still needs bed rest.

Wonderful. Looking forward to more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.