main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends To Have And To Hold (Book II in DLT series) Author Replies 10/1 Completed!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Force_Triad, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force_Triad

Force_Triad Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2006
    Title: To Have And To Hold. Book II in the Days Like These series.
    Author(s): Layren and Neon Star
    Summary: Will the Force's actions on bonding three young souls into one bring salvation or condemnation for the Jedi and it's triad?
    Genre: A little of everything.
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Kyran Josel, and other OCâ??s.
    Disclaimer: We don't own the Jedi. We don't own star wars. The only characters that belong to us are the ones we created. Qui-Gon obviously is not ours.
    Author's Note: This is the second book in an ongoing series. The first book can be found Here
    Posting schedule will be every Monday and Thursday
    Days Like These trailer

Author's Note: Very special thanks are due to stormqueen874 who made us some beautiful cover art! We both really appreciate it! [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/Layren/Triad5.jpg]

Prologue

If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday. ~Pearl Buck

He looked out over the vast landscape of Coruscant, eyes roving over the slowly building cityscape around the Temple, and the grass lands beyond. This was the sight of the new government, a thousand years in the making, only a short decade old. This was also the sight of their slowly organizing faith.

The Jedi had been around for longer then this Republic; far longer, but never had they stepped from the shadows and gathered together, making themselves truly known to the galaxy. The underground religion as it had once been called, was finally centering itself, on this fledgling world, right beside the growing government.

"Magnificent, isn't it, brother?" a voice purred in his ear, as a familiar sense flooded around him.

Smiling a little, he turned, to meet matching blue/green eyes, set in a face that was a mirror of his own.

"Jerric, I didn't know you were back. How did it go?" he grasped his twin's forearms tightly, looking intently into his twin's face.

"Well, very well. I managed to find a sect in the Morith system. They're agreeing to send representatives to meet with the others here. Soon, we'll truly be the order we dreamed of, Merrick," Jerric stated.

The younger grinned, before pulling his brother into an embrace, "That's wonderful. Have you told Master Sani yet?"

The older shook his head, "I wanted to see you first. Being gone for nearly six months is far too long, dearest."

Merrick laughed a little, "I'm glad for that," he pulled away finally, letting him go, â??I did miss you..."

Something dark flickering in those orbs alerted the older that something was wrong, "Not just because I was gone, though. What happened, Merrick?"

Merrick turned away, one hand toying with his thick, long brown/blond hair, "I had that dream again, often while you were away."

There was tension now, between them. Jerric knew what he meant, that dream seemed to come more often this last year. Since they came to Coruscant, and started to help build this Order.

"It's always the same, that three-sided triangle of fire, ice, and life, twisting, burning in my mind. Then that light, that bright, all consuming, all seeing light that fills me with as much dread as it does peace... And in the midst of it, I'm starting to be able to see something within that light, a shape, and outline of a person... The dream is getting clearer, Jerric, but I still don't know what it means. Except that it means something to this Order," Merrick said softly, voice barely above a whisper.

"Master Sani still can't help you?" his brother asked, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Reaching up, he grasped that hand, "No. Even as the head of our Order, he does not know what to make of it, nor why it is I that is having it. And all I can feel, besides that it deals with the Jedi, is that it does not pertain to our time."

"How do you know that?"

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    *snags first post*

3. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Little Qui-Gon is teh cute. :) Good luck with your beginning book 2!!

4. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    "What I felt, was the ending to our beginning."

[face_cowboy] Ohh, them's prologue words! [face_cowboy]

What a mysterious beginning. Crion! Is it really...? No, it...

Bah.

Spin me in cicles and laugh.

Go ahead.

I hear you.

Harrumph. *Goes off to mutter and wait for Thursday*

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, oh. Crion. Run away, Qui-Gon, run away! Good job with the beginning of this. I hear that you have lots written so I'm looking forward to seeing where you are going with this.

Looking forward to more. Keep me on your PM list.

6. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    You have a bunch of pages already written. Yippee! Nice sock name, btw. [face_peace]

Ooooooo . . . a flashback. Verrry intriguing. Prophecies about the chosen one, mysterious dreams from the dawn of the Republic, early brother Jedi--yep, I'm hooked.

Crion? Sounds familiar, but my EU history is weak. Off to search wookiepedia!

7. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    ...I knew something was up as soon as Zamir appeared. As soon as I realized it wasn't Ky or Shane, I knew. And I'm guessing he's really Jerrik? Intriguing...

Qui's quite the little scholar, and I just hope that he doesn't end up uncovering something that causes too many problems. Then again, this is Qui. And he's friends with Ky and Shane and it's kind of a given that they end up in some kind of trouble... But still, just don't let it be anything deadly *coughs* or too horrible.

And Zamir...I want to think that his intentions are good, but I can't betoo sure...

Hmm...

8. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    Princess_A My the enthusiasm, you would try to steal our first post, our hearts are all a flutter :D ;) :p

Charmisjess Awww so glad you liked little Quigs. Here's more for you!

Fluff-Slayer You'll just have to wait and see who Zamir really is :D [face_whistling] We're not saying a word :D

Diane Hey just cause Xani turned out bad, doesn't mean all Crions are bad ;) :p He might be nice! Or he might not :p You'll just have to see ;)

Ara-gon Yep, last page count was 146 so far :D Crion was Xanatos' last name, Qui-Gon's second apprentice, according the the JA books who fell to the dark side. Glad you like the sock name :D Did you read the profile? :D We had fun creating that :p

Alethia So glad to have you back! Hope you stick around! Qui-Gon strikes me as the type to like research but not like writing about the research :p As far as trouble well.. you'll have to wait and see ;) Thanks for reading!

Chapter One: Homecoming

Ecclesiastes 4:11 Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm alone?

It was late, nearly midnight, when Zephir answered the door. The older Master had been going through documents related to his last mission when the chime had rung. He could sense who it was, but he was still slightly startled when he opened the door to find one of his younger and dearest friends at the doorstep.

Ice blue met grayish green for a few moments, and the two eyed each other, taking in changes after two years of being apart. Finally Zephir smiled, and stepped aside, "Come in, Dooku, it's been a long time."

The Knight entered, silently removing his cloak and settling it on the rack beside the door, "I am sorry for coming at such a late hour."

"That's fine, though, why didn't you let us know you were coming home? Drex and I would have met you," Zephir said softly, watching as the other elegantly settled himself on the couch, before joining him there.

"I knew it would be late when I arrived, and considering the news I heard," he gestured about the place, indicating the spacious joint living quarters, "I thought it best to come, rather then have you leave the young ones alone."

"I thought you would hear. I am sorry I couldn't explain it to you before..." Dooku waved his apology off.

"It's a very odd idea. But then, I don't know about this so-called triad as you do. However, you know I support ideas that ruffle the Council's feathers," a light smirk appeared upon Dooku's lips.

Zephir shook his head, chuckling faintly, "That was not the reason I suggested this to them, renegade though we three are," he sobered, "But this idea may be more then odd for even you, old friend. There is a lot that even I don't understand right now about those three. Qui-Gon will not be a normal apprentice."

Dooku looked unconcerned, "And you don't think I didn't know that the minute I found him and brought him here? How different, is yet to be seen. You know my expectations, and I know from what I saw of him before I left that he could meet them."

"We all have expectations for our apprentices," Zephir agreed, "But they don't always fit the child we put them to. This is your first. And as much as I know you hate my advice, I would ask you to be somewhat gentle with him. We here are fond of him, especially his bondmates. I certainly know they would have no quarrel with facing you."

Dooku let out his own soft chuckle, "Considering who their Masters are, I'm not surprised. Though, I am surprised you and Drex can live together without killing each other. Force knows I'm not sure how I survived my apprenticeship being taught by you two."

Drex had been in the kitchen making tea while Zephir and Dooku were talking. He came out with two steaming mugs, one for himself and one for Zephir and he stopped short in surprise at seeing who was in their quarters. "Finally dragged yourself back, did you?" he said, grinning as he handed Zephir a mug of tea.

Dooku raised an eyebrow, "Nice to see you still

9. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Haha, first post on the Dooku chapter!!!

It's good to see him. :D Lovely post! Looking forward to the next part!

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    No wonder poor little Qui-Gon is so confused. If Dooku has never really shown any interest, Qui wouldn't know what to think about it all, especially if he thinks that he's too young to be chosen.

It was cute that they are all so close but that could cause problems once they are away on missions and missing each other. I wonder if the Council realizes just how close they are.

Good job. Keep going.

11. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    I just suggest that we don't destroy, blow up, or maim anything."

"Or let Qui bring any more strays home."

"No cooking experiments then," Kyran agreed, smirking, he laughed at the last. "Yes, I think Master Hazark was pleased to have his fish back."

[face_laugh]I see he started collecting the Pathetic Lifeforms (PLF's) early. [face_laugh]

"Then you better hurry up and get ready. I doubt Master will feed your half dressed," Shane teased.

"I bet he would," Kyran retorted. "I can look awfully pitiful when unfed," he said in amusement.

Shane had to concede to that. Kyran had a look that could almost rival Qui-Gon's 'Can I keep it?' one. "Then go try. I'm going for a shower."

[face_laugh]ROFLOL! [face_laugh]

I hope somone warns Dooku of Qui-Gon's quirk with strays.

12. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    I think Dooku needs to live in the same quarters with the others--if for no other reason than the rabid opportunities for humor!

Crion! Thanks for the summary! I'm trying to work my way through JA and haven't gotten to that part yet!

13. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    This is my third attempt to post this, because the freaking boards keep on eating my posts. *sigh* I forgot that about them...

Anyways, lovely chapter. Very nice to see Dooku again and it's intriguing that he's considering moving out of the Temple. I wonder what that will be like.

Fish dreams. *snerk* I really liked seeing the three of them- everyone, really- relaxed and just lounging around. And I feel for Drex- I know very well how it is to sleep in like that. *grins*

Great job. Would have been longer, but after the first two attempts were eaten by a cyber monster... *rolls eyes*

14. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    Charmisjess Of course Dook is your favorite part ;) well rest assured there is more of him :D Thanks for reading!

Dianethx Qui is very confused. He's never had any masters show interest in him before. He was an outcast in the creche partially due to the bonds he shared, and partially due to the effect of his Living Force talents. As for the Council.. well not sure what they realize just yet :D Thanks for reading!

Aya-Na_Bashu Yep :D Qui-Gon started collecting those probably at two years old :p And why would they warn Dook about that? He needs a Master ;) Don't want to scare him away :D Thanks for reading!

Ara-gon You're welcome for the summary :D Dooku probably will choose to live in quarters adjacent to theirs, but ya never know just what Dooku will do ;) Thanks for reading!

Alethia Awww man that sucks! I hate it when that happens. Drex loves to sleep in :p He is not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination :D As for longer well that's okay you can make it up later ;)

Chapter Two: The Will Of the Force

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. ~Author unknown

Dooku glanced back to make sure Qui-Gon was following, "I imagine you don't have a training saber yet."

Qui-Gon shook his head. "No, Master Dooku. I just turned eight."

That was right. It would have been nearly eight years since he had brought that child to the Temple... "We'll have to get you one then, for this. Perhaps you should start considering your plans to build one soon."

Qui-Gon looked somewhat shy. He had been drawing plans for his own hilt not long ago. "I've done some drawings of what I might like for class."

"Really?" the door slid open, and they started down the hall, towards the turbolifts, "Perhaps you'll allow me to see them sometime. I take it you are very interested in swordsmanship then, if you are doing so already."

Qui-Gon nodded eagerly. "I've been studying forms that my bondmates use, but I don't know if I want to use either of their styles. I don't think they would work for me."

"There are many different forms of lightsaber combat. You are probably most familiar with Form I, Shii-Cho, are you not?" Dooku asked, as they entered the lift.

Qui-Gon nodded in agreement with the Master's words. "Yes. But I've also been studying Form V since that's what Ky is learning from Master Rixar and Nissan has been learning Form VI from Master Zephir. I watch while they spar."

The knight nodded, "Yes, those forms would be ideal for their specialties. Form V is more physically aggressive than Form VI, which is a more diplomatic form."

Qui-Gon followed the Master into a private training salle, surprised again that the master was so interested, and taking the time to get them a private training room so they wouldn't be disturbed. Qui-Gon went for one of the training sabers that the initiates used.

Dooku waited for him on the mat. Once he was there, he gestured, "Show me what you have learned up until now."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kyran skipped rocks across the lake in the gardens. He always enjoyed watching the effect as it hopped across effortlessly. "Do you think Master Dooku will pick Qui-Gon today?" he asked into the silence.

Shane sat nearby, leaning back on his hands as he watched Kyran skip rocks. Glancing at him, he shrugged a little, "I don't know. That's always been his plan."

"How do you know?" he asked curiously, skipping another rock.

"I heard Master talking once about it," came the casual answer.

"Before I was chosen, I assume," he said in a slightly bitter voice. He cleared his throat and went back to his task, pushing the cloud that had threatened to loom from his mind.

Another glance to him, a knowing look, but not judging, "Actually, it was just a few months ago. You know I have a tendency to stay up later then you and Qui."

Kyran arched a brow at that, but said nothing. He bent down and picked another stone u

15. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    First post!

*goes to read*

*comes back*

Shane worries me. Really, really worries me. Some of those lines... It makes me wonder. And I do hope that everything turns out okay, but... *cringes* I'm too pessimistic at the moment to really hope. *sigh*

I feel for Qui-Gon. The poor kid, as Ky and Shane stated, isn't really at fault or anything. Yet because of his bond with the two of them, he's going to have a hard time finding a master, and that's not really fair. Especially, since as Dooku remarks, he is talented. He just needs the chance.

I understand Dooku's hesitations, but part of me wonders if he's simply thinking outloud. I think deep down, he knows that he's going to take Qui-Gon, but he's just having trouble...processing it. Sort of. Not quite sure, there.

Ja- there's another character that I'm worried about. I hope that he can be saved, but I don't think he's done being tested. And I'm not that optimistic about the results...

I enjoy the way you bring humor into what should be a serious conversation- it helps lighten up the scene a bit and makes it seem quite real. Like Zephir telling Drex to look at Shane's feet, since they're finally out of the boots. *grins* And the friendly banter the two of them have going. Dooku's sort of an outsider in that equation and I think that's another hurdle of his taking Qui-Gon on- he's not sure of his role inside the group. Dooku may be known for his semi-heretic ways, but what the three Padawans (counting Qui) have is nothing like anything anyone really has encountered before, and Zephir and Drex have been friends for so long, that it...changes things, I guess. He's the outsider coming in, and that's really hard to do. Still, I hope that he'll get over it and take Qui on...

Anyways, what a long and lovely chapter. I can't wait for Thursday.

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Wow, long chapter. I loved that the boys went to see Ja' and that he's slowly coming back from the suicidal thoughts. But it would seem he has a long way to go yet.

As for Dooku, he certainly doesn't seem like he wants Qui-Gon, at least not enough to think beyond the rules. I'm not certain that he's right for Qui, not with his attitude and non-understanding of the bonds among the three boys.

Very intriguing. I wonder what he will decide to do and if Qui will understand that Dooku wasn't all that enthusiastic a Master for him.

Great job. Looking forward to more.

17. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Ooh, nice long post.

Poor Dooku seems so baffled over this Triad business. I admit, I'd be a little freaked out if my apprentice had his head stuck in the minds of two other kids. Kind of brings up some attachment issues, I guess. Very interesting, looking to see how this works out.

18. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    The triad's relationship is a neat thing to read. And the fact that they have taken Ja' in speaks highly of them. I just hope he doesn't let them down. :)

I hope Dooku makes up his mind soon. Then again, perhaps Drex would be a good master to both he and Kyran. I liked that Drex's heart is beginning to feel again, that Kyran is breaking down the fortress like walls around it and helping him to live again. I just hope that Drex somehow shows Kyran that he is loved and cared for by his master more than he thought. :)

Great job with this! Can't wait for more! :)

19. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    Alethia Another first post stealer! Wow we seem to have a collection of them this time around! :D Why would you be worried? Have we ever done anything truly horrible to them? Oh wait, we did I forget hehe :D But surely you could be a little more positive ;) Can't really blame Dooku for having a difficult time deciding. When the Council first decided to allow this project, never did they dream of them getting this close, or their bond having as much power as it does. Ja'thernen has a way to go before he heals, but he is determined to heal and stay sane that way the Sith can't ever manipulate him like that again. Really glad the humor inserts worked, we were a little worried that they might be kind of awkward but we thought something to lighten the mood between the three friends would probably be a good idea considering the decision is weighing heavily on Dooku's mind right now. Thanks for reading!

Dianethx Yep Ja'thernen has a long way to go but at least he's doing better and he's making significant improvements which is a far cry from how he was. I had actually thought of introducing another Master for Qui-Gon, but Dooku's view represents the view of most of the Jedi in that time period they're living in. Drex and Zephir are rare exceptions. As a compromise since Dooku is going to be Qui-Gon's master, we have had another idea that will hopefully work out just as well. Thanks for reading!

Charmisjess We're getting better at the long, frequent posting business :D We're still pretty far ahead of ourselves too. Dooku of course is a bit nervous, as it's never been done in the history of the Order for anyone to have bonds so easily like this. I mean it's different than the Master/Padawan bond and different even than the usual friendship bonds that sometimes are formed, but even those are pretty rare, yet Kyran and Shane seem to be able to bond easily with others around them so you can't blame him because Qui-Gon might have that ability too. Attachment issues are what got the old Jedi Order in trouble and that's what the triad is here to fix if the other Jedi are tolerant to the idea. Thanks for reading!

Bek Glad you're interested in the triad's relationship, and they love Ja'thernen very much. I don't think he'd let them down, but he might disappoint himself once in awhile. Drex still has a very long way to go towards true healing. Special operations missions are a very difficult line of work and not every Jedi can handle it. Qui-Gon being so loving and full of the Living Force, might not be the best choice, but we're not going to let him slip away :D

Hello everyone! It's Thursday and here is a new post for you all! Enjoy!

Chapter 3: Decisions and Dreams

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~Albert Schweitzer

The sky outside was still dark, despite the light of the city around them, as he sat there, sipping at the tea handed to him some time ago, while the older Master went about the kitchen. "You keep odd hours, old friend," Dooku mused, "I believe you only went to bed two hours ago."

The silver haired Master raised an eyebrow at him, "One must keep odd hours in this place. And I was restless. Though, why are you up?"

"I haven't slept," Dooku admitted softly, "I was thinking over what Drex told me."

"Coming to a decision?" Zephir asked, finally looking at him as he paused.

Dooku made a non-committed noise. "I think I am."

Just then the door to Drex's room opened and he exited his room, a robe wrapped tightly around him. He glanced at the two of them, surprised to find them both still awake, before he went to the kitchen for some tea. After that nightmare, he needed it.

Zephir watched him mildly worriedly. He waited till his old friend was settled for speaking, "Nightmares again?"

It was alright, Dooku had been with them long enough to understand that both

20. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh, who's a first post snatcher now?!;)

Good chapter. I liked this one perhaps the best yet. And Dooku talking politics (well, anti-politics) to an 8-year old in a garden was beyond amusing. :)

I'm interested to see where we go next with this.

21. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Ooh, a nice, long chapter.

Dooku 'testing' Qui...interesting. But it does make sense and I'm glad that Dooku took Qui. It should be interesting to see how everything developes now that Qui has a Master and is officially a Padawan, especially since he's so young.

Kyran...I think he and Drex both have a lot to talk about. Does he even know about Ren? Because that might really help him understand why Drex took so long to take him on. And Drex would have someone else besides Zephir to help him deal with his pain and nightmares.

Anyways, this was a great chapter. *grins* Can't wait till Monday.

22. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    Great update! And yes, I'm delurking for a change.

Monday, ... , argh! That's *counting on fingers* still 4 days away.

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Did you ever tell us the backstory of Drex and Zephir? Because if you haven't, you should. I'me very curious as to why Drex is feeling so guilty.

Nightmares - seems most of this group have them. Could it be that they are sensing each others dreams and making their own dreams morph into nightmares?

Nicely done on the Dooku asking Qui-Gon to be his apprentice. I liked that he took his time to decide. It's a hard one, after all.

Great job.

24. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    Charmisjess So you're a post snatcher too now? We seem to have a collection ;) :D It really makes our day, guys, to know that you have been anxiously awaiting a post enough to steal it :D I hope the amusing was in a good sense as for where we go next, wait no longer, it's Monday!

Alethia Yep long chapters seem to do well around here :D Kyran does not know anything about Ren or about Drex's past at all. Drex is very tight lipped on the subject because he has so much guilt about it. It's not something he enjoys talking about and something he has only shared with Zephir. Dooku was around then when his first padawan died, and saw the after effects, but even Dooku doesn't truly know.

Aya-Na_Bashu Delurkers make our hearts thrill with joy :D And it's Monday now so your wait is at an end!

Diane We've never told the backstory of Drex and Zephir and really glad you think it should be told, because we are ;) Drex has a bucketload of guilt with what happened to his first padawan and it will all come out. Poor Kyran and Drex's relationship can't stay like this for all of Kyran's apprenticeship, or the poor lad would be starved for attention, since he never gets any from Drex at this point.

Actually the group's nightmares are based on memories which don't necessarily flow through the bond, but the fear manifesting itself through the dreams could be sensed by other Jedi in the apartment, so it could be. Interesting idea, that's something we haven't really looked at before.

Well training a padawan is a really big responsibility and especially training a padawan connected to others is an incredibly daunting idea, especially since if he picked the wrong padawan, there could be nasty lifelong complications, but Qui-Gon lives to serve the Force, first and others next which is exactly what Dooku wanted in a padawan.

New post in a bit, we finally FINALLY have decided to cave in and get a beta reader. Alethia has graciously consented to beta book II for us. We really appreciate it!

25. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Another great post! :)

Poor Drex has a lot of haunted memories. :( It's good that he has the triad and Zeph to keep him from falling into despair.

How old are Shane and Kyran now? [face_thinking] What does Sala'ne' mean in reference to Kyran? :confused:

Can't wait for next post! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.