main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Different Class of Darkness--A Chosen One AU--32: Duel of Darkness

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arcalian, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Title: A Different Class of Darkness

Author: Arcalian

Timeframe: Entire Prequel Trilogy, from TPM to ROTS

Characters: Obi, Padme, Mace, Palpy, Qui-Gon and all the PT crew *except* Anakin. In his place....meet Yaj Starlighter.

Keywords: Chosen One AU

Summary: There is no Anakin. The Chosen One is a different young man with different Dark Side issues and problems. How will the Saga unfold with such a fundemental change in the lead character?

Acknowledgements: Souderwan helped immensely with the plot; he co wrote this first chapter and many subsequent ideas presented herein are his. It is in many ways a collaboration with him and I think him for his help and input.

The Dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins--but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; the Dark is not monalithic.

It is intercenine, self conflicted, divided into many factions; a house divided against itself.

And sometimes....just sometimes, one class of darkness oversets another.

Chapter 1

Prisoner?s Dilemna

Another blast struck the ship and the entire cabin lurched under the barrage. Obi-Wan glanced out the viewscreen, half-expecting to see some sign that the Trade Federation ships would begin pursuit. He overheard the pilot reporting that the tiny ship had suffered damage to hyperdrive and would not be able to make light speed. Qui-Gon?s unspoken request brought his attention back to the computer console before him.

Scrutinizing the data running across the screen, Obi-Wan glimpsed data on the small planet, Tatooine. It was definitely out of the way and they were not likely to attract any attention there. But the planet was run by the Hutts, and Obi-Wan was convinced that this would not be the safest place for the Queen. As he glanced up at Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan was convinced that the Jedi Master would think that Tatooine was perfect. Obi-Wan frowned and looked back at the screen, rapidly searching the database.

There!

"Here Master," Obi-Wan said aloud, pointing to the screen. Qui-Gon drew his eyebrows together as if his train of thought had been interrupted. Obi-Wan pressed. "Damocles. It's small, out of the way, yet part of the Republic."

"More or less," agreed Qui-Gon almost to himself, his hand rubbing his beard.

Captain Panaka stalked forward, a firm tone in his voice. "What do you mean, more or less?"

"It's a prison planet," Qui-Gon said shortly.

"You can't take her Royal Highness there! If the violent criminals who live there discovered her--"

"But they have no reason to, do they, Captain? Besides, the criminals there are clearly identified and contained?a state that you will find nowhere else in the galaxy. Damocles is a perfect place to set down. We should be able to quickly obtain assistance for repairs and be on our way. Rest assured, we will keep the Queen safe."

Obi-Wan breathed a sigh of relief.

Obi-Wan creased his brow as he pulled his sweat-soaked tunic from his chest. "What a dismal place!" he remarked. The oppressive heat on the surface of the penal planet was only superceded by the blanket of moisture that seemed to cling to everything.

Qui-Gon nodded. "Truly miserable. It?s rather remarkable that the Dark Side of the Force does not permeate everything here."

Obi-Wan turned to look at him, raising an eyebrow. "The Dark Side, Master? Here?"

"The Dark Side of the Force is always present, Padawan," Qui-Gon chided him gently. ?So long as people feel hate and fear and greed, it will continue to exist. And this place," he seemed to strain as he drew a breath and looked around, "Is fertile for such emotions. A veritable breeding ground for scum and villainy."

The administrator of Damocles had welcomed them nervously, saying they did not often have any ships other than prison transports. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had exchanged knowing glances during the conversation, immediately recognizing the head of the prison as a weak man who took bribes to ignore the atrocities committed under his administration.

A hyperdri

2. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    On Damocles they had children...on Tattoine there was a woman that could have had a child....but did not.
    She was sad, and quiet, and she was alone.
    Forever alone.

Interesting... [face_thinking] So, somehow the midichlorians (or Plageius? :p) didn't choose Shmi Skywalker to be the mother of the Chosen One? Instead it chose someone else, and ergo! Yaj Starlighter. Interesting. [face_thinking] And once again, Our Heroes are about the make a collision course with this new "vergence" in the Force. Most interesting... ;)

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! What an AU!

On Damocles they had children...on Tattoine there was a woman that could have had a child....but did not.

She was sad, and quiet, and she was alone.

Forever alone.
    :_|

YOu did an incredible job of painting a very vivid picture with this one! =D=

4. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Interesting premise. I enjoyed the repainting of tatooine. pm me when you update, I am interested in how this boy will change things.

5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    This is awesome, Arcalian! I think you give me far too much credit. I'm really glad you're going ahead with this and I'm really looking forward to you continuing!

6. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    Chapter 2

Yaj Starlighter

Qui-Gon knelt by the boy. "Hi there."

The boy looked back with mild curiosity but no real interest. "Hello."

Obi-Wan stared. Through the Force, the boy was a swirling pool of energy, neither Light nor Dark but touched by both. A hungry sponge, drinking in all around him.

This was his aura in the Force, his spirit. But there was a sharp divorce from his mundane aspect. His eyes looked around but held no real interest. The world was....dissapointing to him. Obi-Wan could feel that from here. Given what sort of world the boy knew, that was not exactly surprising. Obi-Wan felt sympathy like a dull ache.

"I'm Qui-Gon. What's your name?" His master asked the boy.

"Yaj." The voice was bland, indifferent, almost sad. Almost, but not quite. This place had already made the boy callous. The Jedi exchanged a long look.

"How does a child come to be in a place like this?" Obi-Wan asked aloud.

He did not expect the boy to answer, but he did. "Mother was somebody special, once," the boy said. "Something happened. She says it wasn't her fault." He was looking at the ceiling again, eyes focused on nothing.

Something like an illegitimate child, perhaps? Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon exchanged another look, and the elder Jedi nodded. Though that was most certainly not even the half of it. Not to wind up in a place like this.

"How long have you been here?" Qui-Gon asked the boy.

"Since I was very little. I don't remember much before that. Most of the time people leave me alone. Unless they want my help in the pit fights."

"The pit fights?" Obi-Wan was horrified.

"They don't make you fight, do they, Yaj?" Qui-Gon asked softly. It seemed unlikely. The boy, while painfully thin, bore no scars. Not physical ones anyway.

"No, they ask me to predict the winners." Yaj shrugged. "I usually get it right."

Precognition was a Jedi trait. Obi-Wan felt something not unlike electricity in his bones. No wonder the boy hadn't been identified, sent in near-infancy to a hellish world such as this one.

"You don't have much fun here, do you?" Qui-Gon said, sounding about as sick as Obi-Wan felt.

"There is no fun here," Yaj said, almost angrily. "And my mother....she doesn't like strangers." He shrugged.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan looked at one another uncertainly. "Perhaps we should meet your mother," Qui-Gon suggested.

Yaj shrugged. "Okay." He got up and led the bewildered Jedi on.

7. AnakinLuver

AnakinLuver Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2006
    Ooohhh... no Anakin, but Yaj... mmm... interesting... very interesting, this story is... mmmm... Please add me to the PM list...

This is a very peculiar beginning...

Rachel Rose@};-

8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Looks good, though I be Obi-Wan won't like Qui-Gon's 'distraction'

9. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Nice update, Arcalian. I like the touch about the pit fights and having Yaj be a source of betting info. That definitely piqued Obi-Wan's interest. Looking forward to more.

10. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    Chapter 3
    The Ties that Bind

They followed Yaj farther into the cramped duracrete chamber that passed for some sort of visitor?s lounge. The boy stepped through an open archway; the sliding door was no longer powered, likely having failed a long time ago.

When they followed him in, they found themselves in a set of dank chambers full of dirt, bitterness, and neglect.

----

This is how it feels to be Obi-Wan Kenobi, right now:

You are appalled at what you find. You have seen poverty and desperation before, of course. Worse than this. The withered, blank look on Qui-Gon's face tells you he must've seen even worse in his long years.

But what strikes you about these dirty, disheveled rooms is not anger or desperation or hate....but simple indifference. Neglect. Apathy.

You cringe.

When you finally confront the mother, sitting up in bed, a deathstick hanging from her lip, you are no longer capable of the surprise you should feel. Intellectually, you know you should be appalled. But already you realize there is no surprise on this horror of a world.

You begin to understand at least one facet of Yaj's personality; the callousness of this place has seeped into him, but it also seems to be a part of his defense against the misery that surrounds him.

The mother, you know, will be no help.

----

The omnipresent yellow sulfur lighting of this world did nothing to improve the woman's appearance, pale and woebegone to begin with. Entirely too thin.

"Jedi?" she blinked, and then frowned. "What do you want from me here? I am already a prisoner."

"We know nothing of what you may have done," Qui-Gon said. "It is rather your boy that interests us."

She frowned. "What did he do?"

"Nothing," Yaj said sullenly.

"Don't lie," she snapped.

"It is the truth." Qui-Gon was patient, stretching out in the Force. "He did nothing. We came to this planet for repairs, and felt the boy in the Force. He has special powers."

The woman blinked, seemingly nonplussed. "If you say so." Her tone was doubtful.

"How did you two come to be here?" Obi-Wan asked.

"Having a brat with no father didn't help," she said distantly. "Though that wasn't the half of it, of course."

"What happened?" Qui-Gon prodded gently.

"What do you care? Leave me alone." She returned her attention to whatever meager HoloNet broadcast the planet allowed.

Qui-Gon sighed. "It would be helpful for us to know," he said gently, fluttering one hand. Yaj watched the movement, eyes brightening with curiosity.

"Well, if it would help you to know," she replied, her voice listless and uninterested. "I came from Alderaan...."

11. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
    "Having a brat with no father didn't help," she said distantly. "Though that wasn't the half of it, of course."

horrible... horrible mother... sickening, really...

and good old Qui-gon with the mind tricks... loved it!

great update... can't wait for more!

Rachel Rose@};-

12. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I've always been a fan of tight writing and you've done a good job here with just that, Arcalian! You did a nice job of setting the scene and giving us the sense that this place was dismal, even for a Jedi to stomach. Very nice.

You've done a good job with Yaj, too! Already you're showing the environment in which he has grown up and how that could likely turn him into a rather apathetic character. I'm always interested in "nature" vs. "nurture" explorations so I'm looking forward to this one! :D

13. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Yaj mother couldnt be more opposite of Shimi. Good portrayal of the cold uncaring enviroment that he has grown up in. Nice Stover model for the Obi-Wan viewpoint.

Well, if it would help you to know," she replied, her voice listless and uninterested. "I came from Alderaan...."

My curiosity is piqued by the Alderaan connection...

14. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    Chapter 4: Loss leads to Despair, Despair leads to Contempt

This was Arinjiya Starlighter:

A rich noble woman of Alderaanian society. Highly regarded. Sought by many. The bloom of youth on her cheeks, and the light of pride in her eyes.

Influential over many areas of policy, born to a rich and powerful line. Second only to the Queen.

Her life had been resplendent until the Organas and the Queen united against her.

The Queen's line was dead set against her for reasons she never understood. The Organas, grooming their son to be the Queen?s Consort, likewise opposed her, eager to win the Queen's favor. Not that Arinjiya criticized their methods, of course; such wiles and ways were her own as well. But what she did not understand was their talk of "duty" and "obligation to the people". Such were only euphemisms for power, after all. Why insist on continuing to use them, even in private, with no cattle around to hear?

She had certainly had her share of lovers, of course. But she had taken all necessary precautions; her medical sterilization was guaranteed. How then, had she become pregnant? Where had the meditechs failed? The DNA tests against her lovers had all proven negative. What was this? Was this some sort of cosmic joke?

Desperate to hide her pregnancy as long as possible, she had stepped up her hostilities against the Organas and even the Queen herself, using methods that were risky, dangerous, and of course, illegal. Had she been successful, it would not have mattered. She had even caught the eye of a young Senator who promised to help her.

But her scheming had failed, her plot exposed, and her pregnancy with it. Tried, arrested, and ultimately exiled to the barren rock on which she now lived. The child would be taken to the orphanages, or such was the plan. But once she reached Damocles, somehow the custodian officers never came.

Why? Why hadn't they? She had never wanted the child. She still could not understand how she had come by this unwanted sprout.

So she had been forced to raise an unwanted child amidst the smelly squalor of this prison. A woman born so high, fallen so low. And for what? Random chance, nothing more.

Pride was lost, and bitterness consumed her soul.

----

After she was done talking, Obi-Wan felt his Jedi composure beginning to slip. He fought back tears, knowing they were unbecoming of a Jedi.

Qui-Gon hugged Yaj, who bore it patiently but did not respond, a blank look of puzzlement on his face at the Jedi's display of affection.

15. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    I love this story for it's endless possibilities and I can't wait to see more. Great job.

16. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    After she was done talking, Obi-Wan felt his Jedi composure beginning to slip. He fought back tears, knowing they were unbecoming of a Jedi.

Qui-Gon hugged Yaj, who bore it patiently but did not respond, a blank look of puzzlement on his face at the Jedi's display of affection.

It is sad when a jedi has more attachment then the mother. Definitely the Anithithesis to Shmi.
    More=D=

17. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    Obsessed: Yes, Yaj's mother is the Anti-Shmi, and this has affected Yaj's development as well.

Chapter 5: Searching

"You don't mind if we take Yaj with us, do you?" Qui-Gon whispered.

His mother waved an absent-minded hand. "As you like."

There is only peace, Obi-Wan told himself. Peace......

He took Yaj by the hand and led him out, Qui-Gon following.

"We have to get Yaj out of here, take him with us," said Qui-Gon. "He has potential."

"I'd be in favor of that even if he didn't," Obi-Wan replied with a deep sigh. "No one should have to grow up in a place like this."

Qui-Gon smiled unexpectedly, clapping his apprentice on the shoulder. "Your compassion serves you well, Obi-Wan. I sense that you are listening to the Living Force."

"Not hard to, amidst all this death."

Qui-Gon nodded and looked down at Yaj. "It's obvious your mother doesn't care, but do you want to leave, Yaj?"

"I'm sure anyplace would be better than here," Yaj shrugged.

Qui-Gon ran a hand absently along his beard. "Of course, we still need to find a hyperdrive we can use."

Darth Sidious cut off his communications with the Trade Federation with a curse. The fools couldn't even prevent the Queen's escape. Mind you, he had contingency plans for that, but it chafed him that they couldn't even handle such a simple task.

But contingencies, yes...he had contingencies for everything....

"Lord Maul," he intoned.

"Yes, my Master." A black and red face littered with gruesome tattoos stared back at him out from beneath a hood the same midnight shade as his own.

"You will find the Jedi and destroy them, and bring the Queen back to Naboo."

"As you command, Master."

Sidious frowned thoughtfully, staring into the Force. "And be watchful, apprentice, you may find other things useful to us as well...."

Obi-Wan couldn't bring himself to think of Yaj as a pathetic life form, at least not in the sense one would immediately think of that word. But this whole world was pathetic, and sad.

"Yaj," Qui-Gon said, stopping to look down at the boy. "You mentioned the pit fights. Do the guards and administration often wager on such?"

Yaj shrugged. "Sometimes."

"Do they wager more than credits?"

"Yeah, why?"

Qui-Gon smiled thoughtfully and a gleam came into his eye. Obi-Wan tensed; he knew that look.

"Master," Obi-Wan frowned, grasping Qui-Gon?s elbow and pulling him aside. "You can't seriously be thinking of using the boy in this way."

Qui-Gon raised one eyebrow. "It would be for the boy. To help save him?and ourselves?from this place."

"I don't like it."

Qui-Gon nodded. "And you shouldn't, my young Padawan. But I seen no alternative."

He turned and knelt before the boy. "Yaj, do you know any of those guards who would bet on.....special things, or deal on them for the right price?"

Yaj frowned in concentration, then in apparent disgust. "Belsen."

"Can you take us to him?"

Suddenly Qui-Gon?s communicator beeped. The Queen demanded their attention.

18. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
    Great update!

Rachel Rose@};-

19. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    There is only peace, Obi-Wan told himself. Peace......

LOL! this would be Obi-Wan's method for counting to ten!

20. rb657062

rb657062 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Please add me to the PM list. The twists and turns (relative to the canon) are interesting.

21. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I had completely forgotten about this story! :eek: Imagine my surprise to see my name as one of the earliest reviewers. I agree with rb657062, the twists and turns relative to canon are amazing. Here, instead of a brave poor slave, the Chosen One's mother was a rich, power-hungry brat who despises her child rather than loves him.

22. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    Chapter 6: Dissonant, Diverging Duties

Obi-Wan respected the Queen; was morally outraged at the invasion of her world; admired her grace and dignity.

But he also found her overly proud, strident, and disrespectful of the efforts he and Qui-Gon were making on her behalf and on the behalf of her planet.

"Will you wait out here for a short time, Yaj?" Qui-Gon asked. "We have some business in the ship. We won't be long."

"Sure," the boy shrugged. "But I'll have to stay just inside the airlock. Can't breathe out here for too long."

"Of course," Qui-Gon nodded. "But be here when we get back, hmm?"

Yaj sighed. "Not going anywhere."

Obi-Wan boarded the ship, followed closely by Qui-Gon. "This will probably be unpleasant," he whispered to his master.

Qui-Gon nodded. "The Queen has very valid concerns."

Obi-Wan was sure she did, but that was not quite what he had meant. Nevertheless, he kept his silence.

The Queen sat in the stately chair that served as her throne aboard ship. Having seen her palace on Naboo, Obi-Wan couldn't help but think the ship interior was far too sterile for her. Then again, it did make her stand out from her surroundings more.

He could feel the consternation pouring from both her and her handmaidens in waves. One of them especially glowed more brightly than the others in the Force and seemed to share some sort of bond with the Queen. Probably her most trusted advisor. He wasted no more thought on it.

----

This is Amidala, Queen of Naboo:

The Jedi do not understand. Of course there are some things they simply cannot understand, as you wear more masks than one.

You know they are trying to help you, protect you, and get you to Coruscant where you can prod that damnable Palpatine into prodding the leviathan Senate, in turn, to take action.

But to them, the plight of your world, your home, is an intellectual problem to be solved.

Jedi pride themselves on being unattached.

You think they aren't attached enough.

The holonet message you have received has stirred your fear for your people. You cannot simply wait while they are decimated.

Surely, with their respect for life, the Jedi can understand that?!?

You feel so alone. Even surrounded by your handmaidens, you are so alone.

----

"Why, exactly, do you suggest I do not reply to the message from my Governor?" the Queen asked with an icy calm that did not mask her true feelings at all. Obi-Wan could see through it, even without the Force.

"Because it is almost certainly a ruse designed to allow our ship to be tracked," Qui-Gon said. "Your Highness, I know you wish to save your people. But if the Trade Federation finds us, even here, on what is nominally a Republic planet...."

The Queen cut him off with an angry gesture. "Then hurry with the ship repairs!"

"That," said Obi-Wan flatly, "Is what we were attempting to do when you summoned us."

The Queen glared at him. He embraced the peace of the Force and simply looked back, impassive.

"Padawan," Qui-Gon said softly.

"You would rather I had not told you?" The Queen asked, unable to hide the outrage in her voice.

Obi-Wan surprised Qui-Gon and himself by dropping to one knee. "No, Highness. I would rather you would listen to my Master's counsel and let us help you."

The Queen hung her heavily decorated head. It must strain her neck, Obi-Wan thought.

Finally, she sighed. "Very well..."

----

"Hey, little kid," said a voice.

Yaj turned and stared at one of the few guards who had bothered to patrol this corridor for a change.

"Don't get so close to the airlock, hunh? It's not safe."

"My name is Yaj and I can take care of myself."

"Oh yeah? Maybe I should take you back to your quarters." One hand resting casually on his blaster, the seedy, unshaven guard reached out for Yaj with the other.

He abruptly stepped back as the very air seemed to darken around Yaj, while his eyes brightened to an acidic shade of green.

"Don't touch me," Yaj said in a quiet, matter of fact voice.

"Uh.....sorry kid..."

23. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Another nice update, Arcalian! Sorry I've been away. I like how there are parallels to what happened in canon, but with decidedly different effects.

He abruptly stepped back as the very air seemed to darken around Yaj, while his eyes brightened to an acidic shade of green.

"Don't touch me," Yaj said in a quiet, matter of fact voice.

"Uh.....sorry kid..."

The eyes grew still brighter. "Go. Away."

?Right.? The guard turned pale, and ran.

Woah! Kid's got a heck of a lot of darkness in him, doesn't he?

Looking forward to the next update. :D

24. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
    :eek:

Woah!

Rachel Rose@};-

25. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    But to them, the plight of your world, your home, is an intellectual problem to be solved.

Jedi pride themselves on being unattached.

You think they aren't attached enough.

I liked the insight into Padme viewpoint. I agree with her sentiment.

IT will be interesting to see how PAdme and the boy relate to one another since he is different from Anakin in TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.