main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga May the Drabble Be With You - Dur's Drabbles for the Ultimate Drabble Challenge WEEK 12 UP!! 9/22

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Durhelediel, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Author: Durhelediel
    Title: May the Drabble Be With You
    Summary: My collection of drabbles for the Ultimate Drabble Challenge hosted by Zonoma.
    Characters: Han Solo
    Author's Note: This is the first time I've done this so please be patient with me as my writing style adjusts. Also, my drabbles will range through a lot of characters and timelines, though I think the majority of it will be Canon and Saga, therefore I have posted my drabble thread here. :}

Week 1- 7/7/06

1. beginnings

Corellia was a planet famous for its smugglers and pirates. He never planned to be on the wrong side of the law. His mother loved him?but the Empire was ruthless and enticing, so he was attracted to the life of an Imperial officer. He wasn't the brightest, but he was the quickest. Loyal and brave, he was enjoying his life as a pilot in the Imperial Navy?until his mother died, giving him his first lesson in loss. After that, he felt lost and alone. He began to not care what his instructors, or anyone else, thought of him.

2. middles

The Empire had been punishing Wookiees for years, ever since the Wookies had joined against Palpatine nearly twenty years ago. He had never really thought of their plight?until the day he saw one chestnut-colored Wookiee being beaten for absolutely no reason at all. Something inside of him grew so angry that before he knew it, he had grabbed the virbrowhip and beat the Imperial who had held it. The Wookiee he freed swore a lifedebt to him, and he left the Imperial Navy to travel among the stars as the one thing he never thought he'd become?a smuggler.

3. ends

He stood with friends, proudly celebrating life and freedom. In his arms was the woman he loved, and who loved him in return. And there?walking up to them with a broad grin on his young face was Luke. Ewoks danced and music played, but here was his own circle of joy and life?his family.

Luke had changed?grown into a Jedi Knight.

Leia was as fierce as ever, but had softened as well.

Chewie believed they had finally found their destiny.

Was he right?

Suddenly he smiled. Who would have thought that a smuggler would help lead a rebellion?

4. first

What was he doing here? He didn't know what to do, nor did he wish to stay here among all the screaming and torture that was occurring behind him. He hadn't planned on being here, had never thought it would happen to him, and so had never imagined a way out of the mess he now found himself in. What was he expected to do?

"Han, get over here and hold my hand!"

Sheepish, he obeyed without question and allowed Leia to squeeze all of the blood out of his hand as she pushed their firstborn out of her body.

5. last

Tears coursed down his face and he let them, not caring who saw. His grief threatened to swallow him whole, and he wished he could leave to find a good, stiff Corellian ale to drown himself in.

Anakin, his last son, the youngest of his family, was dead.

How could the father outlive the son?

A hand landed lightly on his shoulder and he found himself looking at Luke's grief-filled eyes. "I'm?so sorry, Han," his friend whispered. "I had to let them go?"

Han turned away, too filled with anger and sadness to respond. He needed time to move on.

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Suddenly he smiled. Who would have thought that a smuggler would help lead a rebellion?

Aww I really like that one :) Good job!

3. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    :D

Great drabbles Durhelediel!

I really liked last.

4. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    Awww. There's nothing to bear with, lady. You've done an admirable job.

The shifting tones of the drabbles are really great--how it starts out kind of humorous, shifts into some seriousness tinged with joy, and then the sad end... who was it that said "Happy endings are for stories that haven't finished yet"?

*Tries to remember*

*Fails*

Anyhow, well done! :)

5. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    wonderful job tracing Han's journey.

last really got to me-- well done!

jcs

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What a wonderful journey through the highs and lows of Han's life.

Great job of capturing his character

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Lay- Thanks, I liked that one thought too. I was determined to get it in there, lol.

Kestrel- Thanks! Yours are really good too!

Fluff- Wow, thanks! I was scared I shifted around too much, but Han really gets the short end of the stick a lot in stories, so I thought I'd start things off by exploring him a little.

Jcs- Glad you liked it!

Kelia- Thanks! It was my first attempt at Han so I was really nervous.

8. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Week 2- Luke's Developing Focus

6. hours

Just hours ago Obi-Wan's spirit turned my entire galaxy on its axis. I have been told my whole life that my father was dead and that I am an orphan. Now I discover that not only do I have a twin sister whom I already know and care for, but that my father is still alive. Not only is Anakin Skywalker alive as Darth Vader, but it is my destiny to face him in a battle between light and dark.

I sit in my X-wing, on my way to the Rebel rendezvous, contemplating the way my life has drastically changed.

7. days

The planning for the mission to Endor is complete and we are nearly to the planet. Han and Leia are talking quietly, but I can't seem to join the conversation. Inside of me, I can feel him lurking and I know I'm endangering the mission?and my friends.

I'm not ready to face my father yet. My emotions are too conflicted. I'm drawn to him as any orphan would be, but I also recognize his viciousness. He would do anything to get to me?and he already has with the torture of Leia and Han on Bespin.

I'm not ready.

8. weeks

"Luke, you awake?"

He smiled and struggled to a sitting position. "Come in, Leia."

Leia entered his medical room and sat beside him on his recovery bed. "How are you today?"

"Still aching from Palpatine's Force-lightening, but able to move around better." He gazed at his twin. "What is it?"

Leia sighed. "I can't?I mean?"

Luke reached over and took her hand. "Leia, it's okay. You have to remember that he wasn't always Darth Vader. All that matters is that you focus on the good."

"What's the good?"

He grinned at her. "We are family, no longer alone."

She smiled.

9. months

"Troubled?"

Luke turned to see Han behind him. "Just thinking."

"Of what your place is in all of this government-rebuilding stuff?"

"Yeah."

Han gazed out at the nebula. "I keep telling myself that all I have to do is focus on my strengths. I can't be what I'm not, so I won't try. I can help with who and what I am."

Who and what he was?A Jedi Knight. Finally it dawned on Luke?he could find others like himself. He could rebuild the Jedi Order as his sister restructured the government.

He clasped Han on the shoulder. "Thanks, Han."

10. years

The suns set behind the Temple on Yavin 4, casting an orange glow that didn't reach Luke's spirit. He was still trapped in this non-physical form, but he was no longer worried. His Jedi Knights knew of his plight and were discussing ways to free him. They had ceased to be individuals involved only in their own lives, and were instead functioning as a team.

Ben would have been excited to see the new generation of Jedi working together without a Master's guidance.

Luke was proud of them. He was in good hands. His Jedi were strong?like his father.

9. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I like the way you concentrate on going from solo to family and saga/movies to beyond each week. Very nice!

10. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I really, really enjoyed Week One. I guess I have a weakness for Han.

Week Two, though, was dreadfully chilling in the very last line.

. His Jedi were strong?like his father.

I don't know how far into the Beyond EU you've ventured, but that was incredibly ironic! And twisted. That is a good thing. I really, really like it.

Zonoma

11. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww...that was really lovely.

I loved the flow of each of the drabbles.

Nice job

=D= =D= =D= =D=

12. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ooooooh I love Week Two's drabbles. I love Luke and his point of view is very well portrayed here, especially the last drabble. Loved that one the most :)

13. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Nice job. Sorry I missed the first week's drabbles. They were great.
    I really like the second week's perspective on Luke.

Bravo! :D

14. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Awesome job! :)

Of the first set, "First" and "Last" were my favorites. The first bit of "First" had me stumped -- I was just sure Han was in prison, or witnessing some Imperial atrocity, and then you reveal that he's just helping his wife through childbirth! [face_laugh]

A hand landed lightly on his shoulder and he found himself looking at Luke's grief-filled eyes. "I'm?so sorry, Han," his friend whispered. "I had to let them go?"

:_| So sad.

Of the second set, I think "Hours" is my favorite. :)

15. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    silsolo- Thanks, that is actually my intention since I have this posted in Saga. Each week I'm going to try to start during the Saga events and go a little beyond that.

Zonoma- heehee You caught my implication, great!!

Kelia- Thanks! Hope you like the next set too...

Layren- I feel more comfortable with Luke's pov since I've done it before. Week One was very new for me to go into Han.

oqidaun- Thanks! And it's okay. I'm STILL trying to catch up on everyone else's drabbles, lol.

j_o_e- haha! Great! I wanted to stump ppl on "First", just for a bit. Yay!

16. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Week 3- 7/21/06- Mara's Reflections

11. red

Her whole world was red. There was a river of it in front of her that began where her mother and father lay. More of it covered the walls near them in a fountain of spray. A discarded Jedi cloak was rumpled in the corner, the corner of its hem trailing in the red.

He found her wandering outside in the red of a sunset that should have filled her with joy and laughter. Inside of her a great emptiness had settled, letting her be numb, prolonging her grief.

She would find the Jedi that created her world of red.

12. grey

She wore the gray of an Imperial uniform to blend in. She walked swiftly, and no one halted her nor asked who she was. That was why she was the best assassin for Emperor Palpatine: she knew how to get into any situation without drawing undue attention. She needed that today; her mission was to punish a lieutenant who thought he could get away with embezzling the Emperor's funds.

Quietly, she entered the lieutenant's office. He turned around, and paled. He knew who she was and why she was there.

She quickly drew her silenced blaster and accomplished her mission.

13. white

Mara rarely dreamed. When she did, it was normally just to see the Emperor and hear his dying command to kill Luke Skywalker. She was trying, but Skywalker was a hard target to find and keep. Because of Jabba not allowing her with him, the stupid Hutt was dead and Skywalker was gone again.

Tonight, though, she dreamed. She walked down the aisle in a white wedding dress. She was happy and excited at her new life. People smiled at her and whispered about how beautiful a bride she was, and her soon-to-be husband was?Luke Skywalker.

She woke up screaming.

14. black

He wore all black in a Jedi outfit and held his lightsaber out. "Ready?" Skywalker asked.

Mara scowled. "I?m always ready, Skywalker. This plan of yours better work."

He flashed her an attempt at a smile. "It has to."

They both leapt into the air. As Skywalker landed in front of his clone, Mara silently dropped behind it. Skywalker moved in with a series of lightening-quick slashes, keeping the clone busy.

Now it was up to her. Giving in to the voice in her head that told her to kill Luke Skywalker, she very serenely sliced off the clone's head.

15. blue

For the first time in her life, Mara felt at peace. She gazed at the blue sky above her and reflected on the dramatic changes her life had taken. She went from hatred of a man, to being his wife and soulmate. Wasn't the galaxy a funny place?

"Credit for your thoughts?"

Mara smiled at Luke. "Just thinking about how different this could have been."

"Meaning I could be dead and you would be alone," he finished, grinning.

She playfully punched his arm. "Watch it, or you could still be dead. I don't need a husband that badly."

They laughed.

17. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    She woke up screaming.

LOL I love the assassin Mara! Very nice job!

Giving in to the voice in her head that told her to kill Luke Skywalker, she very serenely sliced off the clone's head.

Love the moment!

18. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    It's nice to see Saga Era Mara out to play.
    Excellent work with the colors.

Red was especially powerful, but I found myself laughing over White.

=D=

19. Mathom

Mathom Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 2006
    Week I: I liked Han's character here. You could really watch him grow and develop into the man we all love. My favorites were Beginnings and Middles. Where Han becomes a loner, when he had once outgoing, and where he becomes a smuggler, when he had never wanted to be one before. And it is only as a smuggler that he can help the fledgling Alliance stand up and be successful.

Week II: Great description of Luke finding his place in the galaxy. From Yoda and Ben's admissions on Dagobah to the founding of the New Jedi Order, he had to find and come to terms with himself. My favorite line was from Years: "He was in good hands. His Jedi were strong?like his father." That's when I was sure that he'd finally found his destiny.

Week III: Nice Mara drabbles. Red was positively chilling. No little girl should ever have to see a sight like that. No wonder she becomes the hardened assassin she is in Grey. I though Blue and White were hilarious.

Tonight, though, she dreamed. She walked down the aisle in a white wedding dress. She was happy and excited at her new life. People smiled at her and whispered about how beautiful a bride she was, and her soon-to-be husband was?Luke Skywalker.

She woke up screaming.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Great work!

20. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    D ~ Caught your implication? Dang skippy, I did!:D I am thrilled that you read some EU, too. Anytime I can chat Beyond and the interesting tie ins with a Saga person makes me happy.

Red - Now that is a fascinating way for the Emperor to ensure her loyalty. Wow. Give her the opportunity to ?avenge? her parents.

Grey ? He turned around, and paled. He knew who she was and why she was there. Tut, tut, Mara! He recognized you? For shame! [face_laugh] Loved the use of grey and the feeling of duty and satidfaction in a clean kill, but without the glee of sadism.

White ? [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Black ? You know, in my mind that scene has always been terribly dark? underground, dire circumstances, mad clones, you name it. So, great use of the ?black? color!

Blue ? "Watch it, or you could still be dead. I don't need a husband that badly."

Love the portrait of Mara! I think these drabbles are making me fall in love with her all over again, between you and a few others. You even have me plotting a small fic. [face_plain] Thanks a lot. :p

Zonoma

21. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooh I got behind. I really really enjoyed these a lot! Mara's are especially well done. I just love Mara and you wrote her so very well! =D=

22. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    You did a great job showcasing Mara's emotions during each part of her life.

My favorite was Grey - very chilling.

Great job

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Well all of these are great but I'm such a big H/L shipper that Week I is my absolute favorite. =D=

24. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    I have to say I like Luke the best but then I always have. Good job with all of them.

25. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    silsolo- I love Mara! She has such a complex mindset that you can do just about anything with her and she can pull it off with grace and style. Thanks for enjoying them!

oqidaun- Great! I thought after how strong red was that some laughter would be nice. lol

mathom- Week I: Han was difficult for me, since he's character is hidden behind his bravado. But I am pleased that you liked his transitioning.
    Week II: Yeah, Luke had some major growing up that he had to do, and in a short time. Sometimes ppl lose sight of that, so I wanted to show some of it in those drabbles.
    Week III: Thanks! I'm really proud of how red came out, though I must admit that writing white was very fun!

Zonoma- Technically I'm a Beyond person since I own just about every EU book there is, but I write more Before and dabble a little in Saga because Before has more room to play in and Saga you can do more AUs (imho). Anytime you want to chat, feel free to add me to your yahoo messenger and IM me! I'm always up for a good Beyond/Saga chat! And I hope you let me know what fic I spurred. I'd love to read it!

Lay- Thanks! I didn't know you liked Mara...

Kelia- Wow, thanks, though I feel grey is my weak spot in those, lol.

Irish- I love your icon! And thanks!

Araxie- heehee Someone after my own heart... :}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.