main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters From Before to Beyond: Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan Discussion Thread! - January Challenge up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Hello there! Welcome to the Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon discussion thread. As with the old threads this is the place to discuss all things Obi and everything Qui: the good, the bad and the (not so) ugly!

First of all the old Obi thread can be found here.

Also a huge thank you to Layren and dianethx who ran the wonderful Qui thread, which is here.

And so on to business!

Our mission is...to provide a sanctuary to those who wish to discuss, read, write and generally enjoy Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

[image=http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/kestrel_kenobi/aotc7.jpg] [image=http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/kestrel_kenobi/qui_gon.jpg]

What this thread is for: To chat about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, but not only as the Master and Padawan team we all love. ALL discussions about any aspect of either of these characters are fine: Qui-Gon as a Padawan, Obi-Wan as "Ben", Ghost Qui-Gon or Obi-wan as Anakin's Master, etc: anything goes as long as it keeps within the TOS.

Everyone's opinions and POV are welcome, but play nice! It's fine to disagree with someone, but please be considerate of others when responding to a post.

Advertising policy: Please keep in mind that (except for providing links to challenge stories) this thread is an advertising-free zone. Links off-site are against the TOS and FAQ. If you have a wonderful off-site story or website to advertise please put the link in your sig instead.

Important note on posting pictures: Whilst we can understand your enthusiasm with all things Obi and Qui and apprectiate all those gorgeous pictures, we'd like to ask everyone to note that pictures posted on this thread must be kept down to 3 every 25 posts (about one per page) - not only does this avoid cluttering up the thread, but it is also a courtesy towards ppl using dial up as too many pictures slow things down considerably for them.

If you do find you've a picture to share (and please don't stop sharing them!)you could always post a link to the source of the pictures so people can choose whether to view them or not. Thank you.

[b]CHALLENGES: Please Read[/b]

See the old [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/19658520/p1/?642] Qui-Gon Challenge Stories Thread[/link] and [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/23078118/p1/?0]Obi-Wan Challenge Stories Thread[/link] for some great reading.

Firstly, you might be wondering, what is a challenge? Here's the explanation from [b]Jaya Solo's[/b] Newbie Thread:

[b]Challenge:[/b] [i]A challenge is a set of rules that is made for a short story, as in "I challenge you to write..." These challenges are usually made to help a writer improve his/her writing skills and to make him/her write outside of his/her usual genre. These challenges can be especially helpful to newbies because they let you write without having a long term commitment of writing and keeping up a story, and they give you the idea for it! [/i]

Each month (or so) we hope to bring you an Obi and/or Qui centered challenge. Basically we give you a topic or idea and you get to write a fic based on it. So come along and share the bunnies! Please go wild and let loose all those pesky little critters! The only condition (besides any that may appear on future challenges!) is that they must be Obi and/or Qui based, though supporting characters, canon or OCs, are very welcome!

All challenges are open ended so there's NO TIME LIMIT or any restrictions on how many times you respond to a challenge! Similarly, there's no restriction on length.

[i][b]NEW! [/b] [/i] There are no longer any challenge story threads! Instead you are encouraged to post the links to your challenge stories in the thread and they will then be indexed. Please make sure on posting your stories that you put "written fo

2. Kestella

Feb 4, 2006
    List of all CHALLENGES:

(11) Qui-Gon defies the Council

Qui-Gon defies the Council. It could be the first time, the 81st time or the last time, you get to decide. Also, the response can be any genre.

(10) First Christmas/Holiday challenge

Stories should be about the first Christmas/Holiday Qui or Obi ever remembered or their first Christmas/Holiday together or Obi's first Christmas/Holiday without Qui etc.

(9)The 'Dialogue V Description Challenge.'

1. Write a story/scene/drabble/poem/etc between two characters without using any dialogue.

Or

2. Write a story/scene/drabble/poem/etc between two characters entirely in dialogue.

You may use any characters you wish as long as one of them is Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon.

You may write a drabble (fic of exactly 100 words), a poem, a snapshot, a short or long story?whatever you want!

(8) Picture Prompts! - Chose a picture (or two) and write an Obi and/or Qui filled story inspired by or based on it!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Pic 11

Pic 12

Ok ? so the last one is a joke! :p

Any genre. Any length. Please remember to put ?picture challenge? on you fic and to let us know which no. pic(s) you used.

(7) First Sentence Challenge - choose one of these as a first line for your Obi and/or Qui centred fic! Any genre, any length. Please post your links in the thread. See first post of thread for other rules.

1) Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. (credit to Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

2) The primroses were over. (credit to Richard Adams, Watership Down).

3) Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were - Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter. (credit to Beatrix Potter, The Tale of Peter Rabbit).

4) She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued
    a great light that illuminated her alone and left all else dark. (credit to J.R.R Tolkien, Lord of the Rings.)

5) To die will be an awfully big adventure. (credit to Sir James M. Barrie, Peter Pan).

6) We've got company. And they brought a crusade. (credit to Joss Whedon, BtVS.)

(6) Poetry/Songfic Challenge!

Yes, ring in the New Year with your Qui-Gon and /or Obi-Wan poems or songfics!
    Any length...any genre...any saga...anything goes!
    Wild and Wacky!!
    Short and Sweet!!
    Tears and Tantrums!!
    You decide! Just pop a link in the thread when you post!!!

(5) Christmas Challenge!

so, it being December 1st and all, it's time for a new challenge. the rules are simple grab a starter sentence from the list below and give us some kind of Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan (or both) story with winter as your theme!

The snow is falling and I can't see two feet in front of me....
    The icicles hung dangerously from the old house....
    Sitting by the warm fire I heard the crackle....
    The weather outside is frightful

3. Kestella

Feb 4, 2006
  4. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    yippee! it's up!

let the drooling *ahem* i mean discussions begin!

[image=http://www.power-games.fr/photos/image007000..jpg]

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Niiiiiiice Kestella! Can't wait to see what all comes up for discussion! :D :D These challenges have been awsome! Can't wait to read more of'em! [face_dancing]

6. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    YAY!!!! I've found a place deicated to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan!![face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]
    I can't wait to get started reading!!
    let the drooling *ahem* i mean discussions begin!
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] What are you talking about?? I've been drooling over those two since Episode I came out in theaters in May '99!! *Ahem* I mean. . . .well uh . . . never mind. . . . [face_blush] [face_blush]

7. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Lovely, Kestella! :D I had no idea you were cooking this up, but I'm glad it's here. With the faithful followings of both of these dashing Jedi joined, things should be hopping in here. ;)

Now I'm forced to show some Qui-Gon love too. :p I think I'm well overdue.

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Okay, here's a question or two. If Anakin hadn't shown up, do you think Qui-Gon would have taken on another padawan once Obi-Wan was knighted? Do you think he'd be urging Obi-Wan to take one as well?

9. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    I?m in, I have to admit that I don?t know much about these two[face_blush] but I want to, so maybe by joining this, I will.

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Great to see this thread up and running! Kudos to you ladies for taking up the mantel! [:D]

That's a good question, Diane. I've never really thought about it before. I think Qui-Gon would likely have been done teaching after teaching three apprentices had it not been for Anakin. He was 60. It takes over a dozen years to train an apprentice to knighthood and that's a good chunk of time/energy invested, more so if the padawan is young instead of 13 like Obi-Wan (if you go by Watson.) However the TPM novel also suggests that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had been friends for over 20 years which could mean Obi-Wan was taken as an apprentice even earlier than 13. But regardless, at 60 cound twenty years and he'd be 80. That's pretty up in years to be running around doing things, but then again Dooku did it :p So it's hard to say really. I just think he'd like to end teaching on a good note with a knighthood rather than risk what happened with Xanatos happening again. Just my two cents.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I think that Qui-Gon would have had a hiatus after obi-wan. If anyone's read Dark Lord by James Luceno, it suggests that Qui-Gon was a very likely candidate for the Council, even in TPM.

12. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Aw. You quoted me. I feel so honored. [face_blush]

I have another question... was Obi-Wan really ready to be knighted? Or did Qui-Gon just really see the potential in Anakin?

13. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Mmm I'm glad the pics made it here safe and sound, now we may drool, er discuss :D
    Glad to see old faces and new in here btw!

As for Qui-Gon taking another padawan, i don't think he would have unless of coursethe force screamed pretty loudly at him, which, i guess is what happened with anakin anyway. Whatever age, I can't see Qui-Gon jumping to take on a padawan unless he felt a force connection (though he's good to ignore it when having trust issues! exhibit a: obi-wan)
    I think the Council idea makes more sense as a reason to be honest that the age thing. Dooku did it [face_laugh] exactly! and if it is the dark side and not jedi training that let him do that well, surely the light side is just as powerful and capable of say, allowing (not quite the word i want but i can't think of anything else!) a little green master to function for a few centuries!

Second question: I really don't think even Qui would say something like that outright to the Council and in front of Obi-Wan and not mean it. Either he knew Obi-Wan had only the teensiest bit to learn and that was probably something he felt obi wan could learn better from life than him or the other scenario: he had known obi was ready for some time and now he took the chance to admit that to all of them, including himself

14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaawwww, it was so sad seeing the old thread locked. :( I'll have to console myself here, I suppose. o_O

I think Qui-Gon would have taken anouther padawan, if the right kid had come along. He was still mostly in his prime and hardly slowing down. Notice how much better Qui-Gon aged than poor Obi-Wan did, but Obi-Wan really had to go through so much more.

In some AU (where Darth Sidius's master killed him first and then slips in the shower, thus ending the Sith line) I imagine Obi-Wan, looking more or less like he does in ATOC and a silver-haired Qui-Gon watching their padawans playing together in the Temple and Qui-Gon nagging Obi-Wan about why he doesn't let his hair grow. :D That really is the life that I think Obi-Wan expected to have, poor guy. Oooooh, there's a plot bunny in there, and I already have so many that I can't do anything with until after DragonCon...:rolleyes:

Yes, I think Obi-Wan was ready to be knighted. He functioned as much as Qui-Gon's partner as he did his apprentice in TPM. Qui-Gon might not have figured out what Obi-Wan's trials would have been, but I don't think he would have pushed the trials on Obi-Wan if he really didn't think he was ready.

15. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Hey, this thread looks nice. I'm in! :D

Would Qui-Gon have taken another padawan after Obi-Wan? Most definitely. I think Qui-Gon had a penchant for going after the 'Wrong-types' ... sort of. He went for Xanatos, which was a magnificent mistake - then he took Obi-Wan much against initial misgivings (it was only after Obi-Wan almost blew himself up that he accepted things) - and then look who he goes and plumps for. Anakin. o_O Even if Qui-Gon hadn't actually met Anakin, he likely would have fallen for someone like Xan or An(akin).

Training Obi-Wan left him him a sort of peace and contentment: like, "Not bad, I've actually managed to train someone well..." After Xan, he was a wreck. Obi-Wan helped him regain confidence as Master, I think.

On another tack, I go by the TPM version that says the friendship between O and Q spanned 20 years ... which means they must have been acquainted when Obi was 5. [face_love]

I think Obi-Wan was ready, by TPM. He was already a pretty judicious mixture of good sense, instinct and action.

16. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    First, great idea creating a Qui/Obi discussion thread. I don't know much about Qui-Gon and this will be a fun way to learn.

Hmmm?.very interesting questions posed so far. Would Qui-Gon have taken another padawan? I think it would have taken a very special initiate to get his attention (Anakin certainly fit that bill!). He was getting up there in years and it takes so much time and effort to train a padawan for the Jedi trials, he may have just settled into a teaching role, or something like that. For some reason, I just can?t picture him on the stuffy old council! :p

I can?t see Qui-Gon urging Obi-Wan to take a Padawan right away. I, personally, do not think Obi-Wan was ready for a padawan and I think Qui-Gon would have recognized that. Obi really needed a few years to prepare for the responsibility of having a Padawan.

He was definitely ready to be Knighted, though.

17. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    Okay, so I wrote a short vignette for the ?Evil Obi? challenge.

Bittersweet Revenge

I wasn?t sure if you wanted all the info here but you can find them on the top of the fic, if you want me to add it here then I will.

18. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Woo Hoo! Hello everyone! Great to see such a lot of responses here already!

I haven't a lot of time now, but I will check your fic out later star_angel. No, you just need to put the info at the top of your fic so you did the right thing! :D

19. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    I?m glad that I did, and I hope that you?ll enjoy it. It?s a little weird but still[face_blush] :D.

20. boady22

boady22 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2003
    Hey guys :cool:

I think Qui would have taken another padawan. Teaching was his strong suit. I think thats why he never let himself be on the council. He wanted to raise knights. I don't think you could do that if you were on the council. I know we see Obi on the council after ROTS but Anakin had already been knighted.

Was Obi ready to be a knight??? Who whipped Darth Maul's fanny? I think if you can best a sith, well that pretty much proves you are ready for knighthood.

BTW awesome thread. :cool:

21. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Shiny! I'm in for any and all discussion about my two favorite Jedi. What's not to love?

Thank you, Kestrel, Stella, and Jennifer!

I think it's anybody's best guess about whether or not Qui-Gon would have taken another Padawan. He'd follow the Force, whether it gave him another to train or not. And, no, I don't think he'd pressure Obi-Wan or even encourage him to take a Padawan quickly. I think he recognized that Obi-Wan was wise for his years and would let him make his own judgment as to when he was ready. Personally, I think a new Knight needed a few years between his/her own knighting and taking an apprentice.

And, yes, I think Qui-Gon spoke the truth when he told the Council that Obi-Wan was ready to take his Trials. He may buck the Council, but I don't see him lying to the Council or Obi-Wan.

Oh, Anne, but I like that AU! You should write it. ::waves a large carrot at Anne's plot bunny and hopes Anne doesn't realize the carrot is glowing::

22. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I also tend to think that after Obi-Wan was knighted then the Council would have been a very likely position for Qui-Gon and he had been asked, according to the books at least twice to join.

I do think Qui-Gon wouldn't have said something he didn't believe with his whole heart. He wasn't just trying to push Obi-Wan aside, he was finally telling Obi-Wan what he should have said earlier, that he was ready.

I agree with Ara-gon, Anne :D That bunny definetely needs writing!

23. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    *chimes in*

Very cool thread, I'll have to hang out here. I seem to have a problem posting enough, but we'll see how it goes. ;)

As for Qui-Gon taking a Padawan after Obi-Wan, I think he would have if it was special occasion. Something seemed... I don't know why I think this. In my head, Qui-Gon's an older Jedi Master who best lives inside his head. The circumstances in which he took Obi-Wan were strained, and its always been my impression that he only took those who managed to penetrate his heart. On the outside, this seems easy, but look at how hard Obi-Wan had to work to gain his place there. I think Qui-Gon was a bit selective, waiting and watching, picking rarely. He waited for Xanatos a long time because he wanted him, and took Obi-Wan because of an extreme situation. I think the only way he would choose a padawan is along the same line.

As for urging Obi-Wan to take an apprentice, at the end of TPM, I think Qui-Gon had realized Obi-Wan was a very wise person who had the right to make his own decisions. Look at Qui-Gon himself, taking only two, the second only after many had urged him along. I think Qui-Gon was also wise enough to know its a matter of personal choice, and the temperment of that person. I always saw Obi-Wan with a padawan post-Anakin, someone like him, reserved slightly and quiet, acting with head and not rash. In terms of Qui-Gon, I think he would have also saw this.

I'll post this before this storm wipes out my internet. ;)

-Krystal

24. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    While I agree that Obi-Wan was ready to be knighted, I really do think that he wasn't ready to take on a padawan himself, unless it was the right match. Anakin and he got along OK, but Qui-Gon threw them together. In a way, Qui-Gon did pressure Obi-Wan to take on a padawan....but I don't he would have done something like that if he weren't dying at the time.

Ara-gonI'll put that bunny on my list, but I have a lot of others that want to be fed first. [face_mischief]

25. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Dying throws such a wrench into relationships.

I think it's quite possible that Obi-Wan would have waited a while to take a padawan if he'd been Knighted under normal circumstances, but I wouldn't consider it implausible if he didn't wait, either. (Well, okay, given the option I'm pretty sure he would have waited a little longer than with Anakin, but I don't think you can get a shorter interval.)

I do think Qui-Gon considered Obi-Wan to be qualified to become a Knight; I suspect they both thought or felt that Obi-Wan had more to learn and would benefit from remaining Qui-Gon's padawan for a bit longer. Ready, perhaps, to be a Knight, but not quite ready not to be a Padawan anymore, if things had been different?

One thing I've come to think -- it popped into the mind and mouth of another character, and I decided I agreed with him -- is that in a way, to the extent that it was his responsibility and prerogative, Qui-Gon Knighted Obi-Wan when he told him to train Anakin. I really doubt Obi-Wan saw it this way, and I'm not sure if Qui-Gon exactly thought about it in those terms -- but what it boiled down to? He'd proven himself in combat. Qui-Gon put another burden on his shoulders, but it was one reserved to Jedi Knights and Masters. He was saying, implicitly, that he considered Obi-Wan capable of that role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.