main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Tales of Vana'Diel: Book 1-In the Wake of the ShadowLord- Au/crossover Qui/Obi-update 10/8

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Noelie, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Author: Noelie
    Time Frame: Just within a couple of years prior to TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine, Maul, Some Cannon and OC's From FFXI TBI
    Summary: This book will take readers though a crossover Au of the beginning story of the MMORPG FFXI by SquarEnix
    Notes: I do not own Star wars of course nor do I own anything from SquarEnix. I have found notes on the history for the prologue below PlayOnline's history of Vana'Diel

Note: as the weeks go by I will increase this post with more information to fill in the story things understood by players but not necessarily understood by the story.
    Our hero's will fit in here, I promise!

Races of Vana'Diel

Hume: Like the Humans of our world/Star wars
    Galka: a powerful demibeast race, said to be "enlightened" There are no females or males in the Galka race although they are referred to as "he".
    Tarutaru: very tiny and magically powerful
    Mithra: a sleek cat like race, there are male and female but the males are unseen back in their home of Kazham.
    Elvaan: Tall, strong and proud.

There are six basic jobs for new adventurers in FFXI:

This is a link from YouTube showing Recollection , which is a really nice overview of the races and jobs that you see in FFXI

White Mage: Healers by Magic
    Black Mage: Can cause great destruction using natural forces and their magic
    Red Mage: A blending of White Mages and Black mages. They do a little of everything
    Warrior: The usual starting Tank class: they take the damage for the softer targets who in turn heal them
    Monk: Damage dealers with their fists.
    Thief: Their damage is the more sneaky kind. They also help the party "earn" more for their work by taking from the monsters they fight.
    ~~~~~

Tales of Vana? Diel Book 1-In the Wake of the Shadowlord

The mystical planet had long been a source for stories among the young of the galaxy. The tales of the proud beings richly endowed with force magic that few had ever truly experienced spawn the day dreams of both young and old, hungry for adventure. The crèche in the Jedi Temple was no exception to this rule.

To be sure, the myth of how an ancient race descended from gods began it all is not a new theme in the universe. It is a tale as old as life itself, explaining as it were the very essence of living.

That such a race practiced the familiar hubris of building a pathway back to the home of the gods is also not a new idea. It is then said the Goddess Altana wept five tears and thus began the five enlightened races of Vana? Diel: Hume, Galka, Elvaan, Taru Taru, and Mithra.

Little was known to the rest of the galaxy, as Altana drew the curtain between the lands of her precious Vana?Diel and the rest of the ancient Republic, always remembering there were some few that would be able to come to the assistance of her loved children, sharing with them the talents of magic in the force.

Stories of the great Crystal War were among the whispered secrets of Vana?Diel. No one knew where the great Shadowlord came from, only that his beastmen hordes swept from kingdom to kingdom killing all before him. That the five races finally came together under the leadership of the Grand Duke Kam'lanaut of Jeuno was a tale of triumph. That the win came at great cost added to the romance of the tale.

Years of peace followed the destruction, an Age of Adventurers began, and yet myth has it t

2. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Good start, Noelie! I've not played any of the Final Fantasy games, but this opening definitely has me intrigued. I look forward to more.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Very nice prologue, Noelie. Very mythic and epic-sounding, there. Like a crawl to one of the OT movies! A Shadowlord, eh? This looks promising...

4. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    I am glad to see that you have this up already. It looks very interesting. Now get your boys on to read and comment. That would be great!!!!!!!!!

5. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    bi0nic:I hope it will work out more. I realized I have at least played more action, so perhaps I can just write that. My sons think this will work at any rate,so we shall see. Thanks for reading!

RK: Thanks for coming to read the beginning. A good beginning crawl? Gee, thanks!

Araxie: I am glad I started it.. I think :) Thanks sis!

On to the first part!

~~~~

?And Master Yoda is already there and waiting for us??

?Yes Padawan. I doubt the facts will change upon repetition.? The observation was made with a wry smile from Qui-Gon.

The young man gave a short laugh, running his hands through his hair, as if to clear his thoughts. ?It isn?t often that one would find a place he thought very much the realm of childhood tales is in fact real Master.?

Qui-Gon nodded thoughtfully, his mind apparently deep into consideration of this mission.

Obi-Wan sat up and gave closer scrutiny to his Master, ?When I think about it you didn?t seem as surprised as I am feeling.?

Qui-Gon pushed himself to his feet to consider the stars. ?No not surprised, Padawan, but I didn?t know anything for certain, just that in this sector?s star charts there was a planet unmarked, and it was one of a handful I was aware of in the galaxy that information indicated that the Old Republic had stipulated to be left untouched.?

?And so you thought Vana?Diel a possibility? What were you looking for when you discovered this??

?Well myth usually has its basis in reality. I was just taking some time for my personal studies, nothing of shattering importance.?

Obi-Wan didn?t look convinced, knowing the depth of his Master something that had always drawn him. Always active, others that knew the surface would assume him to be focused only on the physical, but deep thought and study was something Qui-Gon did frequently as a way to regroup from the stress of their vocation.

?Master what is it that you__?? The question was cut off by the interruption from the shuttle?s computer giving the warning that they were about to arrive at their destination. Conversation stopped as they both began the preparations for arrival. Qui-Gon sat heavily down to start the descent instructions for the computer navigational system.

Qui-Gon looked at the planet briefly before looking at the navigational map before him. He considered it for a moment and then pointed a long finger toward the screen. ?Here down here on the larger continent Quon.? He turned and added somewhat as a second thought, ?Master Yoda is in Windhurst which is here on Mindarti.?

Obi-Wan took a breath and leaned in closer, and then reared back in surprise, his Master turning to regard him, ?You feel it too Obi-Wan??

He nodded further amazed. ?I knew of sentient planets of course, but I just had never expected a planet to be an active member of the force.?

~~~

Qui-Gon had received a written set of instructions sent by a man named Cid to land in the area of Port Bastok. He was attempting to use the comm to notify someone of his landing, but received only silence from the land below. He could only assume that meant that there were to wait. He leaned back in his chair to await an answer of some kind.

?We are to land at the main shipping port?? Obi-Wan wondered. ?Won?t that confuse the locals??

?A concern which has also occurred to me Padawan, so I would surmise that either they have prepared the people of the city in some way that we have not been informed of. Someone from something known as the Mythril Guard is to meet us.?

They both jolted as something reached out and began to pull in their ship. They looked in surprise to each other, and then checked their instruments. The surprise grew deeper as nothing like a tractor beam was being registered on their instruments.

?The force?? breathed Obi-Wan.

?Or something very like it.? Replied his Master his inscrutable calm for once dented.

The young man that met them at the open door of the ship was young, friendly and curious about his charges.

?My name is Naji. I welcome you to the Republic of Bastok.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    This is really cool. I like who you've set up for this particular storyline.

7. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Great update Noelie! I really like the fact that you had Obi and Qui simply land on the planet instead of doing the traditional wormhole/spacial rift crossover thing to bring the different universes into alignment.

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Interesting, Noelie. Liked the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon interaction in the beginning. Sentient planets? Whoa.

Naji's kinda cool. too. Can't wait to see where this goes!

9. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Very cool, particularily slowly introducing the various types of characters involved.

10. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Ish: Glad you liked it. I really think this can work, because the characters are there in the game, but not set and so I can go ahead and make them be what I need. I occurred to me that this might be a bit of a way to try that action that was eluding me, because I have played the action and understand it. A great way to break in.

bi0nic: I am glad you liked that. It was that realization that I could just make it one of those "lost" planets in the GFFA that made me think I could do this. If I had to explain some wormhole/event ect I would have just given up. it was so simple I just wondered if folks would go.. Riiiggghhht.

Rk: So glad you liked Naji, he is a mission giver in the game and one of the few NPC's with a bit a bit of a personality to his part.. .the young man still trying to get his role in serious responsibility right. Sentient planets.. I found the explanation for that in that research you and I talked about and it was another "Bingo" moment to explain why things work the way they do on this lone planet.

Araxie: Yeah.. we have a few more to go.. and the fun of that will be writing people I have enjoyed over the last couple of years in what is only essentially written form!

11. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    "Your trip here was good I trust?" Cid asked the look he gave scrutinizing the Jedi from head to toe.

"Well enough." Responded the Master, used to being an object of some curiosity at the beginning of a mission, that feeling ending as quickly as it took the local contacts to become used to having Jedi in their midst.

"I would offer you something, but we need to get through this meeting and then to the President before young Sidana takes you to her home base."

"Sidana, the young woman with Naji?" Qui-Gon frowned, something clearly on his mind,

"Yes she is an accomplished adventurer, very appreciated in the republic" returned Cid, who was busily searching or something under the piles of animal skin scrolls on his working desk top.

"And one that has just lost a family member. Surely she doesn't need our presence at such a time."

Cid looked up in some disbelief. He then shrugged with a sigh, "I forget that you are not from Vana'Diel and do not realize that most families have lost someone. The fact is that Sidana offered; knowing the training you will need to understand how magic or the force as you call it works in this place. In fact although this meeting was to tell you everything you need to know, I think the best way for you to find that out is to just go out an experience it with the help of Sidana and her group."

He rummaged several minutes more when he found the item he was looking for. He held up the beautiful clear rock to the light and looked toward the Jedi. "Do you recognize this?"

The crystal was exquisite, a perfect specimen of a focusing crystal. It was the rare purple that both knew Master Mace Windu favored.

"It is what we use to power our lightsabers.? Obi-Wan answered. "We rarely see purple ones. They are difficult to get to."

Cid rubbed his chin, "Yes I had the communiqué from the Star Sybil of Windhurst handmaiden Semih Lafihna, that explained much about your light sabers. The crystals here take on very strong elemental properties. The purple for instance is lightening."

Qui-Gon was not surprised when the explanation hit Obi-Wan directly in his 'humor plexus'. "At least that explains Master Windu."

Smothering a returning smile the Jedi Master turned back to Cid. "May I read that message?"

Cid lifted up the pile of scrolls on his desk. "Here. Some of this won't good news for you or your apprentice."

He was right, the news was disturbing. For all the presence of the force and the nature of crystal use on this planet so far Master Yoda had been unable to activate his light saber. Qui-Gon felt his padawan reading over his shoulder.

Obi-Wan reached for his saber, and tried to switch it on, and was met with a disappointing crackle. Qui-Gon took it from him as if to check the settings.

?Do you mind if I see it?? Cid requested.

The somewhat frustrated Jedi put it into his hand. ?They said you construct these yourselves? It is amazing and wonderful actually. I would love to see it work as it should.? He continued to study it somewhat wistfully.

?Gentlemen what we do know is that you are already well-trained in the force as you call it. Here it is just magic. There are two types of adventures here, the tanks and damage dealers or the mages. Sidana will work with you and evaluate your style over the next couple of days, although we can already make some assumptions about what we are hoping your roles will be. Trust her and her friends. Now it is time to take you to the President to meet you.? He returned the light saber to Obi-Wan, who seemed to accept for the time being what he said.

?Master, what are we going to do about the light sabers?? Although outwardly he was the very image of the calm and cool Jedi padawan, Qui-Gon could sense through their teaching bond that he was unsettled.

?Just be watchful Padawan.? He gave a nod of reassurance. ?I know I have told you the light saber means your life, but reality dictates that is not always feasible. For the time being that is the best we have.?

~~~~

They were not so impressed with President Ka

12. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Sholah danced around them gently flirting with Obi-Wan who as yet was trying to get his wits about him. Bewoulf only rolled his eyes and gave her an indulgent smile watching her wrap her tail around Obi-Wan?s wrist as he tried to shake her hand.

I can totally picture Obi-Wan being suitably befuddled by that kind of situation. [face_laugh]

I really like the little homage to Beowulf, too. Good stuff, Noelie!

13. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    I am so glad you could even read it bi0nic with all those wierd question marks all over!

Yes, I think that Obi-Wan would at times be just a little girl shy..

Glad you like the fall back to Beowulf. Just to be clear however the character really will spell it Bewoulf... so I am not just as dork that got it wrong.. hehe..

That Tone Poem used to give me nightmares when I was a little 7 or 8 year old girl. Please don't ask what the Canadian school system was thinking having teachers read it to us at that age...

14. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    For the time being that is the best we have.?

Oh I could hear his voice when I read that part.

I love all illusions to names I love from other sources. I love how you seem to be incorporating the game into this story. It is really well done.

15. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Araxie: I am glad you are liking the names. Of course some you have read, some are plays on other names, but for the most part you are aware of the personalities that belong to them. :) I hope it will continue to work. Goodness knows the game had a story line that I felt could be incorporated, not perfectly as you play the game, but enough that the basics can be told.

Thanks for reading hon :)

~~~~

Qui-Gon sat quietly in front of the fire tending it carefully during his quiet ruminations.

Having been trained to observe the possible layers of a political system, he understood that those that were born with what they referred to in the rest of the galaxy as force sensitive on this world made their way as adventuring warriors that fought in the name of their home city and sentient near human?s inhabiting the planet and their way of life.

There had been negotiation after negotiations with Beastmen, but they always broke down, the lack of communication aided by the separate races of hume's, as they were known, and the other near-human races distrust and even bigotry against each other. Sidana had spoken sadly of the treatment that the Galka had received at the hands of so many of her own people, and he had seen other hints of similar treatment and feelings from the others.

It would make it far more difficult to track down the exact source of the Shadowlord. Given what he surmised were amazing talents in bidding the force on this world, he could only imagine the power of the dark side that was being utilized by him.

The Jedi Master stood with a stretch. He needed to get some sleep. It would be a long day tomorrow learning to put in practice what Sidana had taught them earlier that evening.

He reached out and was comforted by the deep sleep of his padawan. The boy had the knack of the truly innocent-hearted in being able to fall into a deep sleep at the drop of a saber.

Gently and a little more carefully he reached out for the girl, and was also relieved to find that her mind was also at rest. He had gathered she hadn?t done such a thing for several days, and it was a relief to his mind that their presence gave her enough comfort for a good rest.

He lowered himself down to the cot that had been set up on the other side of the room for either he or Obi-Wan. Being a master meant the service of allowing his charge more comfort than he would allow himself.

~~~

Obi-wan eyed the set of bronze swords they had given him with some suspicion. Certainly they were a far less elegant weapon than his lightsaber, if it were in working order.

It was going to take some coordination to learn the secretive ways of the ninja, but they felt his skill in his forms was suited to this job. Rarely and only at the beginning of a career did anyone fight alone for progress on this planet. It took coordinated effort to defeat an attacking enemy, and frequent hunting parties to clear dangerous pathways were common.

They had refused for now to wear the traditional armor found locally at the local bazaar and auction house. The women in the party looked a little concerned, which the Jedi could understand since there was reported force enhancement from the properties of the combination of the metals and other materials. However Bewoulf spoke up in support, ?I don?t like some of the things we have to wear especially the dreaded subligar.?

?Just what is wrong with the subligar?? demanded Sholah.

Bewoulf laughed indulgently and kissed her cheek, ?Nothing if you have legs like yours my love.?

Sholah only rolled her eyes in response and turned her back to talk with Maeti the tiny Taru Taru, who had shown up unexpectly from her travels to join the group. She was no larger than Master Yoda, and Obi-Wan felt guilty realizing he thought she was a great deal cuter, like a china doll. She walked around and would do a little Taru Taru ?panic? dance and then bow. Her persona was at odd with the powerful black elemental magic Bewoulf said she was expert in.

?What are we waiting for?? Qui-Gon asked Bewoulf, feeli

16. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Oh I liked the ending of that. I'm having a hard time concentrating today, but I am enjoying the story, I'm just not that creative in comments at the moment.

17. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Good update Noelie! I have to say, the idea of Obi-Wan training to be a ninja sent the coolness factor of this fic through the roof for me. A Jedi ninja, it doesn't get much more awesome than that.

Cool ending too, I'm eager to find out what's happening to poor old Qui-Gon.

Keep it up! =D=

18. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Araxie: If I told you how often when I first played this game that Dia killed little Maeti you would laugh. She was so delicate I could ever make it anywhere for someone to help. With the group around to help the Jedi they should be fine!

bi0nic: Since I already had the post of a Red Mage filled, which my son, the original Bewoulf says Obi-Wan would be if he played FFXI, I had to do something cool. What else could it be a Ninja? :) I hope this fic is okay. Thanks for reading!

~~~~
    Qui-Gon?s vision cleared, his balance still off and sill unable to sink into a meditation stance but somehow he felt better. He wasn?t perfect, but still seemed to be getting there. With concern he noted that the Mithra had sunk to one knee, her hands clasped as if in prayer and her forehead bent over them.

?Don?t worry, she is perfectly fine, her power is greater than her real need to rest, but she wanted to show you how we heal ourselves after depletion during battle. Since you are our damage taker, we will do everything we can to keep you supported so that you will not to do this if at all after battle. In fact you and I are the perfect team when it comes to that sort of thing.? Sidana murmured.

He raised an eyebrow and was about to ask that that meant, when the Mithra stood. ?You naturally provoked that monster from Maeti. We hadn?t time to show you how to do that. How did you figure it out?? Sholah asked.

He shrugged as Obi-Wan came closer to join in the conversation, ?it was no more than we have always done, taken the brunt of the use of the dark from those that are defenseless.?

The group of Bastokian young people laughed. ?We are glad you learned, but sometime you will get to see Maeti in action and then you will wonder at how defenseless she is.? Bewoulf chuckled. Maeti serenely smiled in response to their claims. Still it was hard to see how a little thing that came only to his knee could be a danger to anyone.

?What did that thing do to my master?? Obi-Wan queried.

?It cast Dia. It is a spell that actually uses the light; it does light damage over time wearing through natural defenses. Obi-Wan was safe because of the shadows he cast. As you gain experience and strength in our world, it will still bother you but not do the rather frightening damage it did until Sholah cast Regen to keep you supported until your system could shake it.?

There was so much to learn. As the Jedi considered each other, they knew they had a challenge they were actually enjoying, in thinking about the force in a totally different way than they ever had before.

~~~~

The group made it to the mines later on that day. At first the Jedi?s companions were careful, until they noted that the monsters at least on the lower level were ignoring the Jedi. Since they were not of this world, there was no telling when they would be at a level where some of them would agro to their presence but it seemed these beings were not.

Still Sidana followed closely behind the group where they had carefully placed Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon until they were quite sure.

They reached a large cavernous room when the group from Bastok seemed to stop and consult each other.

?Sidana had a thought that this would be a good time for Obi-Wan to get an idea just what his abilities are. We will watch, but avoid sitting. Even powerful adventurers have had these monsters turn aggressive by sitting.?

Obi-Wan went forward listening to Bewoulf?s instructions.

?Always use Utsesumi:ichi. This is your best defense; the resulting shadows will be what the monsters lunge at. Tonko:ichi will result in wind damage. Later on upstairs you will be able to us stealth tactics to walk by more powerful monsters and they will not pay attention to you. At that point we will make sure your Master is directly linked with Sidana so that she can do something similar for him should he need it.?

?What about the rest of you?? Qui-Gon asked.

We are above where they notice us there too. We have been going up for months to mine and fish fo

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay! I do apologize for falling behind!

8/20: Hmm, no lightsabers? Not good. And off to see the President... who's a doofus. Hmm, like Sholah. Poor Qui-Gon. No clue what's going on. ;)

9/3: Interesting tale, here. Obi-Wan's a ninja. Hehe. No armor, though? Not too smart on their part![face_shame_on_you] Chocobos! I love those guys. Nice battle. What's wrong with Qui-Gon?

Today: Damage taker, eh? Interesting. Nice little quest they're going on. Amberly misses her beloved? Aaw.

Great story, Noelie!

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Intense and interesting. More?

21. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    I loved the scene with the fighting. Good job. I saw yesterday that a new FF is coming out. I bet your boys are eager for it.

22. bi0nic

Feb 15, 2006
    Wow, all this talk of Paladins, parties and damage-takers. You can definitely tell we're in fantasy RPG-land. ;)

Good stuff, Noelie, you've done really well to translate action from a video game into action that works on the page here. Keep up the good work and update soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.