main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Heart of a Hero - Obi, Qui, Anakin (TPM AU); updated 9/24/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Starwen_Skywalker, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starwen_Skywalker

Starwen_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    Title: Heart of a Hero
    Author: Starwen_Skywalker
    Timeframe: TPM
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin, Padmé
    Genre: AU, Angst, Drama
    Summary: Anger has always been Obi-Wan's greatest weakness. When he gives in to his growing anger and makes some very poor choices, will his friends be able to help him before it's too late?
    Notes: This story begins in the middle of TPM, specifically when Qui-Gon and company are waiting to hear if Anakin will be trained.

Chapter 1: Choices

Obi-Wan Kenobi stood looking out at the cityscape that was Coruscant. His eyes watched the endless streams of sky traffic meandering their way through the city that never rested, but his mind was focused elsewhere. Behind him, the voices of Qui-Gon Jinn and young Anakin Skywalker floated down the hall.

"What?s taking so long?" Anakin complained. "We?ve been waiting forever."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "You must have patience, Ani. The Council will call us any moment, now."

"And then I get to be a Jedi?" Anakin asked, the excitement evident in his voice.

The Jedi Master responded with another laugh. "No, then you get to begin training to become a Jedi."

Obi-Wan turned as the pair approached him, and Anakin grinned as he caught sight of the young man. "Like Obi-Wan? He?s still in training isn?t he?"

Qui-Gon nodded. "Yes, he is. You must understand that it takes many years to become a Jedi Knight." He looked up and gave his Padawan a wink. "Obi-Wan has been my apprentice for over ten years."

Anakin?s blue eyes widened. "Wow. That?s longer than I?ve been alive."

Obi-Wan fought the desire to roll his eyes at this statement. The simple fact of the matter was that he didn?t particularly like Anakin. The boy had a strange hold over Qui-Gon that bothered the Padawan more than he cared to admit, even to himself. His Master had been preoccupied with Anakin ever since the two had met on Tatooine. Qui-Gon had even insisted on taking him before the Jedi Council to be tested for training.

For himself, Obi-Wan was convinced that Anakin would not pass the Council?s tests. He was already far too old to be trained as a Jedi. But Qui-Gon stubbornly insisted that the Council would see Anakin?s potential and allow him to be trained, regardless of the circumstances.

Obi-Wan tried to suppress a sigh of irritation. He was tired, hungry, and extremely bored. After all, none of this had anything to do with him, and he could think of a hundred things he would much rather be doing.

The waiting was obviously affecting Anakin, as well; he couldn?t seem to remain still. Spotting something he had yet to investigate, he suddenly took off in a mad dash down the hall. Obi-Wan watched him go for a moment, then returned his gaze to the view of Coruscant.

Pausing to observe his apprentice, Qui-Gon frowned. The young man looked exhausted and distressed. Qui-Gon folded his arms across his chest as he moved to stand beside him. "You?re brooding again, Padawan."

Obi-Wan cast a sideways glance at his Master. "Not at all. I am simply..." He searched for the right words. "contemplating recent events."

The tall Master raised his eyebrows at this reply. "Ah, 'contemplating'...is that what you?re calling it now?"

A small smile made it?s way onto Obi-Wan?s face and Qui-Gon grinned. "At last, a smile! I haven?t seen one of those from you in days." Qui-Gon?s comment resulted in an even wider smile from his apprentice.

Qui-Gon's voice became stern. "Now, are you going to tell me what is bothering you or will I have to drag it out of you, as usual?"

Obi-Wan gave his Master an innocent look and turned away. "I don?t know what you?re talking about, Master. I never keep anything from you."

"Is that so, Padawan?" Qui-Gon inquired, a hint of mischief in his voice. "What about that little incident on Jalayan 4?"

Obi-Wan?s cheeks flamed with embarrassment as Qui-Gon, seeing that he had scored a direct hit, continued on. "Yes, I remember it well. You were so worried

2. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Anakin?s blue eyes widened. "Wow. That?s longer than I?ve been alive."

Awww! That was really sweet and I loved the way that you wrote Anakin to be the young boy he actually is.

Oh, wow, I loved this beginning [face_love] =D= [face_love] and I can?t wait until I get to read more, if you have a pm list, could you add me to it? Thanks [:D].

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, very nice. I would like to be on a PM list if you do one.

A small smile made it?s way onto Obi-Wan?s face and Qui-Gon grinned. "At last, a smile! I haven?t seen one of those from you in days." Qui-Gon?s comment resulted in an even wider smile from his apprentice.

Qui-Gon's voice became stern. "Now, are you going to tell me what is bothering you or will I have to drag it out of you, as usual?"

Obi-Wan gave his Master an innocent look and turned away. "I don?t know what you?re talking about, Master. I never keep anything from you."

"Is that so, Padawan?" Qui-Gon inquired, a hint of mischief in his voice. "What about that little incident on Jalayan 4?"

Obi-Wan?s cheeks flamed with embarrassment as Qui-Gon, seeing that he had scored a direct hit, continued on. "Yes, I remember it well. You were so worried that I would learn of your accidental marriage proposal to the governor?s daughter, that you refused to contact me, even after they arrested you and threw you in prison."

Qui-Gon shook his head woefully. "There I was, all alone, wondering what had become of my wayward apprentice."

Obi-Wan shot his Master a glare of indignation. "I assure you that the experience was far worse for me. Besides, you still found out what happened so I don?t see that it matters. Anyway, I thought we had agreed not to mention that event again." He looked around nervously to ensure that no one had overheard the conversation.

Giving Obi-Wan an amused look, Qui-Gon reached over and tugged on his braid. "Actually, I promised no such thing."

Oh - another story? Sounds fun.;)

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved the interaction here!

Qui-Gon shook his head woefully. "There I was, all alone, wondering what had become of my wayward apprentice."

Obi-Wan shot his Master a glare of indignation. "I assure you that the experience was far worse for me. Besides, you still found out what happened so I don?t see that it matters. Anyway, I thought we had agreed not to mention that event again." He looked around nervously to ensure that no one had overheard the conversation.

Giving Obi-Wan an amused look, Qui-Gon reached over and tugged on his braid. "Actually, I promised no such thing."

NOW I'm curious! [face_thinking]

5. JENNA

JENNA Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2005
    OOH! I like! Please update! :)

6. Qui-GonJinn1

Qui-GonJinn1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2005
    This is really good! I love Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's Banter! Please update

7. Starwen_Skywalker

Sep 8, 2005
    Star_Angel: Thanks for the encouragement. I'm so glad you like how I've portrayed Anakin. He is such a sweet kid. I'll create a pm list just for you [face_dancing]

Valairy_Scot: Thanks so much for reading. I was very nervous about posting this here. Yes, I might have to give the full account of Jalayan 4 in Before the Saga. I'll be happy to add you to the pm list :D

VaderLVR64: That was my favorite part of the chapter. Qui and Obi are too much fun to play with. Thanks for reading and for answering my pm so quickly. Both are very much appreciated :)

JENNA: Thanks :D Here's your update. Sorry it took so long to get this up. My life's been crazy.

Qui-GonJinn1: Wow, thank you [face_blush] I've never been told I'm really good at anything.

Chapter 2: Storm of the Soul

Later that night, Obi-Wan sat alone in his room. The audience with the High Council had ended long ago, but he could not stop thinking about what had happened earlier. His mind replayed the memories of the meeting over and over again until he wanted to scream. What had possessed Qui-Gon to behave as he had? After the disastrous Council session, the two had hardly spoken. Qui-gon had abruptly left the temple, taking Anakin with him, and had only returned just moments ago. Obi-Wan could sense him in the other room, but he had no desire to face his Master yet. His emotions were still too raw, a veritable maelstrom threatening to overwhelm him without warning.

He had not experienced one moment of peace since that blasted Council meeting. In a flash, all of his old insecurities had returned. Qui-Gon?s actions had awoken the feelings of worthlessness that had long festered in Obi-Wan's soul. The Padawan knew he had never completely banished the feelings, but he had tried to bury them so deep that they would never surface again. Until now. Until Qui-Gon had tried to shove him aside so that he could train the little brat from Tatooine. Obi-Wan?s fists clenched at the thought of Anakin. It was all the boy?s fault. His life had been fine before the little Sithspawn invaded and took his Master from him.

A small voice reminded him that Qui-Gon was hardly blameless in the matter. It had been Qui-Gon, after all, who had told the Council that Obi-Wan was "capable." Was that the best thing his Master could find to say about him? Obi-Wan knew that Jedi Masters needed to be objective about their students, but Qui-Gon?s less than glowing praise had hurt. He had stood by his Master's side feeling embarrassed, confused, betrayed, and most of all angry.

Obi-Wan was certain that the Council had sensed his emotions, but for once he didn?t care what they thought of him. At least, they had had the good sense to refuse Qui-Gon?s request to train Anakin. But they had also decided he wasn?t ready for the trials. He wondered vaguely what they did with unwanted Padawans who were not good enough to take the trials, but were deemed too dangerous to be set loose on their own.

Obi-Wan wearily rubbed his eyes. He was exhausted, but he knew he couldn?t sleep when he felt like this. He could only stare at the four walls of his room and feel them closing in around him like a cage. The thought made him shiver. He needed to escape, to move and breathe before he went crazy.

Pushing himself off the floor, where he had been sitting for hours, Obi-Wan stretched. He would go to one of the training rooms and work out some of his frustrations. Maybe then he could rest. Quickly changing clothes, Obi-Wan grabbed his lightsaber and left his room.

When he entered the common room, Qui-Gon was seated on the sofa drinking a cup of tea. Obi-Wan said nothing as he headed towards the door. The Padawan had his mental shields tightly in place, blocking any attempts that Qui-Gon might make to intrude through their bond. Hopefully, his Master would take a hint and not bother him.

Unfortunately, Qui-Gon didn?t choose to cooperate with Obi-Wan?s w

8. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    :( Poor Obi, I mean, I think that if it was me then I would be angry as well.

And I like Staven, I think that Obi can need a friend like him right now.

Amazing update=D= and now I can hardly wait until I get to read more. Thanks for the pm[:D].

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Staven was baffled by Obi-Wan?s dry response. "Is something wrong, Obi-Wan? You seem a little...distracted."

Obi-Wan sighed. "Qui-Gon and I are having a difference of opinion right now."

Staven's eyes shone with sudden understanding. "Ah, I see. That?s why you?re down here in the middle of the night."

When his friend didn?t answer, Staven shook his head. "Hey, you don?t have to tell me. I?m just surprised. You two always seem to get along so well."

Obi-Wan?s throat tightened. "Yes, well, things can change," he mumbled.

Ah, poor Obi-Wan. [:D]

I'm surprised that Obi-Wan would allow himself to think of Anakin as a little brat - a little strong for him, I think, but, hey, you never know.

Very nice read.

10. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh this peaked my curiosity! plz add me to ur pm list :D

[face_peace]

11. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Aww this seems to be a really cool start, I luv how Obi has a lil friend to make him feel better. I can't wait for more! Can I be added to your PM list if you have one, please?

12. Starwen_Skywalker

Sep 8, 2005
    Star_Angel: Yeah, I think Obi definitely has a right to be angry. I'm glad you like Staven; we'll be learning more about him later. He will be playing an important part in the story. Don't worry, you'll soon have another update to read :D

Valairy_Scot: Hi, Master [:D] I'm glad you could find the time to read the latest chapter. I agree with you about Obi-Wan thinking of Anakin as a brat. That doesn't sound like the Obi-Wan we all know and love does it? It gives an indication that he's not quite feeling himself. Then again, when people are hurt and angry, they often say and do things that they don't necessarily mean.

Veloz: Thanks for reading. The story will soon be heading in a very different direction from TPM movie and I think you'll be even more curious. You're on the pm list [face_peace]

Cole_Kenobi: Thank you! Yes, Staven is a good friend for Obi. Since they are boys, I didn't think they would stand around discussing their feelings, but Staven would do what he could to make Obi feel better. I'll be happy to add you to the pm list :D

Ok, folks, another post is on its way. Thank you all for reviewing and giving me encouragement. [face_dancing]

13. son-of-kenobi

son-of-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    awesome...."I thought you'd never ask" what a charasmatic ending...more soon right?

14. Starwen_Skywalker

Sep 8, 2005
    son-of-kenobi: Thank you :D That just seems like something Obi-Wan would say, doesn't it?

Chapter 3: Back to Naboo

It was still dark when Qui-Gon awoke. He had gotten very little real rest during the night. His sleep had been disturbed by strange dreams, but he could not remember what they contained. Even the vague shadows of his last dream were quickly fading away as he became more alert. The Jedi Master closed his eyes, letting his mind drift over the events of the previous day. All things considered, it had been a complete disaster.

Over the course of his life, Qui-Gon had been at odds with the Jedi Council many times; but he had truly believed that he could make them see reason in the matter of Anakin Skywalker. He had trusted them to make the right decision, only to have that trust betrayed. Why are they so unwilling to give Anakin a chance? He wondered. Why do they refuse to consider that this is one instance where an exception should be made?

When he had entered the Council chamber the day before, Qui-Gon had no intention of training Anakin himself. He had only hoped to present the boy to the Council and be assured that Anakin would be trained as a Jedi. But, then, the Council had put him in an impossible situation. Before the meeting was over, Qui-Gon had been forced to place Anakin's future before that of Obi-Wan, something he did not enjoy doing.

Obi-Wan had been hurt by his Master's offer to train Anakin, and Qui-Gon didn't blame him. He cared deeply for Obi-Wan and would never intentionally do anything to cause him pain. Qui-Gon had felt trapped by the Council and had said the first thing that came to his mind. At the time, it seemed the only option. Looking back, he regretted the things he had said. In the end, it had done Anakin no good and had only served to open a rift between he and Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon was certain the rift wasn't permanent, but it would take time to heal.

Anakin, of course, had been devastated by the news that he was not to become a Jedi. Once out of the Council chamber, he had broken down crying. Despite Qui-Gon's best efforts, the boy had been inconsolable, pleading to go see his friend Padmé. Finally, the Jedi Master had agreed and taken Anakin to 500 Republica, where the delegation from Naboo was staying. The girl Padmé had somehow managed to calm Anakin, giving him a quick hug and assuring him that everything would be fine. She had even asked Qui-Gon if the young boy could stay with her for the night.

Qui-Gon sighed. That was all in the past; he needed to focus on today. As he dressed and packed the few things he would need for his journey to Naboo, he considered the situation with the Trade Federation. He had been very surprised to hear that Queen Amidala would be returning to her home so soon. He wondered what information the young Queen could possibly have learned in her brief stay on Coruscant that would cause her to make such a decision.

Glancing out the window, Qui-Gon noticed the sky was beginning to lighten ever so slightly. It was time to wake his apprentice. Even after all these years, Obi-Wan still had trouble getting out of bed early, and they could not afford to be late this morning.

Silently making his way to his Padawan's room, Qui-Gon watched Obi-Wan sleep for a moment before reaching down to shake his shoulder. "Padawan, wake up. Time to get moving."

Obi-Wan only gave a low moan before promptly rolling over to bury his face in the pillow. Qui-Gon shook his head in amusement. This was typical morning behavior for Obi-Wan. He gave the Padawan a gentle nudge with the Force as he tried again. "Come on, Obi-Wan. Up."

This time, Obi-Wan opened one bleary eye. "Not yet, Master. Wanna sleep," he said in a voice that sounded distinctly whiny to his Master.

Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow, wondering exactly how late his apprentice had stayed out the night before. "Yes, I'm sure you do, Padawan. Unfortunately, that's not an option. We can't be late

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Very nicely written! I feel like Obi-Wan in the mornings, too, but I have a cat that face-butts me to wake up rather than a master and the Force.

I like Qui-Gon's at least saying he doesn't want to see Obi-Wan get hurt. I hope Obi-Wan hears this as concern for him and Qui-Gon's mixed emotions (nice job of explaining that).

16. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh this was an interesting update!

I wonder why was Anakin eavesdroping? [face_thinking]

Let's see how things unfold with a more rebelious Obi Wan ... i hope he and Qui Gon can patch things up before Qui gets sliced up by Maul though [face_worried] (IF things unfold like TPM;) ) ... we dont need an Obi Wan who will end up feeling guilty about everything :oops:

Tnx for the pm! :D

17. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    Oh, I loved this update.

Hmm, you know, this must have been the first time that I?ve read about Qui-Gon?s thoughts about this, very interesting.

But oh no, Obi-Wan is just getting angrier and angrier and I do fear for him.

Amazing update and thanks for the pm.

18. YoungJediKnight777

YoungJediKnight777 Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2005
    Excellent story! Please add me to your PM list. I look forward to the next update!

19. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Awesome update, thanks for the PM! Oh, poor Obiwan, trying to deal with the hurt of his master chunking him to the curb and then Quigon goes and yells at him! Well, at least Quigon slightly realizes he is in the wrong, and ponders why Anakin was standing in the door way eavesdropping.

20. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    WOW - I just found this amazing story and I'm really enjoying it.

Obi-Wan needs to get a grip on his emotions. That he hasn't only proves the Council was right in saying he's not ready for the trials.

I do think Qui-Gon should apologize for just blurting out he would train Anakin. He knows that hurt Obi-Wan.

If you have a PM list for this story, please add me? [face_praying]

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

21. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    I should click on those links in people's signatures more often. This is great. =D= Please add me to the PM list if there is one.

22. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Your story is excellent.=D=

Obi-Wan turned as the pair approached him, and Anakin grinned as he caught sight of the young man. "Like Obi-Wan? He?s still in training isn?t he?"

Qui-Gon nodded. "Yes, he is. You must understand that it takes many years to become a Jedi Knight." He looked up and gave his Padawan a wink. "Obi-Wan has been my apprentice for over ten years."

So Qui-Gon agrees that Obi-Wan is still in training, yet he dismisses him so easily for bratkins

The boy had a strange hold over Qui-Gon that bothered the Padawan more than he cared to admit, even to himself. His Master had been preoccupied with Anakin ever since the two had met on Tatooine.

so Obi-Wan notices the hold Anakin has over Qui-Gon.

I like that bit
    [face_worried]

Obi-Wan?s cheeks flamed with embarrassment as Qui-Gon, seeing that he had scored a direct hit, continued on. "Yes, I remember it well. You were so worried that I would learn of your accidental marriage proposal to the governor?s daughter, that you refused to contact me, even after they arrested you and threw you in prison."

Such a nice piece of friendly banter between the two . The calm before the storm

Qui-Gon took a deep breath before he spoke again. "He is headstrong and he has much to learn of the Living Force, but he is capable. There is little more he will learn from me."

At this, Obi-Wan's head shot up in surprise.

Headstrong OMG Listen whose talking Pig headed Qui-gon

Qui-Gon?s less than glowing praise had hurt. He had stood by his Master's side feeling embarrassed, confused, betrayed, and most of all angry.

Obi-Wan was certain that the Council had sensed his emotions, but for once he didn?t care what they thought of him. At least, they had had the good sense to refuse Qui-Gon?s request to train Anakin. But they had also decided he wasn?t ready for the trials. He wondered vaguely what they did with unwanted Padawans who were not good enough to take the trials, but were deemed too dangerous to be set loose on their own.

You describe his anger very well and he is now worrying what the Council will think of him

Obi-Wan laughed. Staven had always been able to put him in a good mood. Even back in astrophysics, the two of them had managed to have some fun with a few well-timed pranks.

It was nice to have a friend to talk to.

Sensing Obi-Wan's eyes on him, Qui-Gon turned to study his apprentice. "Is something troubling you, Padawan?"

Obi-Wan hastily dropped his gaze. "No, Master. I'm just ready to be on our way. I hope they'll be here soon."

Is something troubling him? Of course Qui-Gon you are troubling him!!!

"You're distracted, Padawan. I need you to be focused right now." "I am focused," Obi-Wan muttered dully, still gazing intently at the floor.

Ummm I wonder why .

Qui-Gon eyed Anakin, thoughtfully. How long had the boy been standing in the hallway listening? And to what purpose?
    Dismissing the questions, he beckoned for Anakin to enter the room.

your characterisation is spot on Anakin is a brat who is sneaky.
    Qui-Gon is intent on being stubborn and Obi-Wan is left to pick up the pieces and go on like

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This is quite well done. I loved that you didn't paint Qui-Gon as a horrible master but one caught up in events and love that Obi-Wan is trying to rein in his anger but it's just growing.

Please put me on your PM list if you have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.