main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Destiny's Child - JA, AU, angst, h/c, Obi-Torture, Sequel to "You Can't Hide From Destiny"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by p_stotts, Apr 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    I was going to wait until tomorrow to post, but thought you all might appreciate a post this evening.

"Destiny?s Child"
    BY: p_stotts
    CATEGORY: JA, AU, angst, h/c, with some Obi torture thrown in for good measure.
    (We?ve got to have that, now don?t we?)
    SETTING: Sequel to ?You Can?t Hide From Destiny.? 7 years pre-TPM, Obi-Wan is 18.
    RATING: PG-13, violence
    SUMMARY: Obi-Wan finds that readjusting to life in the Temple isn?t as easy as it
    seems.
    DISCLAIMER: As always, I don?t own them. Wish I did, but I don?t.
    FEEDBACK: Please DO feed the fanfic author. I don?t work for peanuts, but I will work for feedback.
    SPECIAL THANKS TO Moonscribe for all you help, suggestions, and beta.

Prologue

Obi-Wan couldn?t help fidgeting in the co-pilot seat of the Republic transport as he and
    Qui-Gon made their final approach before landing on the Temple?s main transport pad.
    He?d been away for three long years, and was looking forward to resuming his training.

?Nervous?? asked Qui-Gon from the pilot?s seat beside him.

?A little,? he admitted. ?It?s been a long time. I?m just wondering how much has changed while I?ve been away.?

?Not much,? Qui-Gon assured him. ?The Temple has remain relatively unchanged for the past ten thousand years. Three years isn?t going to make that much difference.?

Obi-Wan nodded, craning his neck to get a better view. Home. It had such a nice ring to it. He wondered if any of his friends would be on planet...or if they even knew he was coming back. That question was answered for him a moment later as they set down on the landing pad and Obi-Wan spotted three familiar figures running towards their transport.

Looking at his master, Obi-Wan gave him a huge smile.

?They heard you were coming and contacted me so they could be sure to be here,?
    explained Qui-Gon.

?Thank you, Master,? said Obi-Wan, giving Qui-Gon a hug before jumping up and rushing to open the hatch.

There at the bottom of the ramp stood Bant, Garen, and Reeft, the three best friends he had, besides his master. Not giving it a second thought, Obi-Wan rushed down the ramp and found himself instantly engulfed in a group hug, with tears and laughter thrown in for good measure.

Qui-Gon just stood at the top of the ramp smiling at the four friends, glad that he was able to arrange such a joyful reunion for his padawan.

Obi-Wan laughed at the stupid joke Bant had just cracked as they exited the dining hall. He?d been back on Coruscant for a week now and was surprised at how smoothly the reintroduction to Temple life had been going.

The results of his progress evaluation had been surprisingly on par with other padawans his age...something both Obi-Wan and his master had been pleased about. His lightsaber skills were rusty, but that wasn?t surprising, considering the fact that he hadn?t held a lightsaber in three years. But, he had been keeping up with his katas, and it showed in his sparring sessions with Qui-Gon.

Obi-Wan smiled as he remembered the pleased look on his master?s face after their first sparring session the day after their arrival. He?d lost of course, but Obi-Wan had held his own against the greatest swordsmen in the Temple for longer than either of them had expected.

Qui-Gon?s look of pride and the affectionate slap on the back he?d given Obi-Wan was all the impetus the padawan needed to keep working hard. Yes...things were going very well; much better than he?d expected.

Someone bumping against Obi-Wan?s shoulder brought him out of his reverie. ?Well, if it isn?t Oafy-Wan!? cracked a familiar voice loudly. ?I?d heard you were back, but I just
    couldn?t believe it.?

Obi-Wan took a deep breath and turned to address the rude speaker. ?Hello, Bruck. Yes, I got back a week ago.?

Bruck hadn?t changed much since Obi-Wan had last seen him. He was taller, and had put on more muscle, but his sneering expression had undoubtedly remained the same. ?What?s the matter? That sorry master of yours couldn?t find a new padawan to ruin, so he ha

2. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jedi Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2000
    WOOHOO! A new p_stotts story! I loved YCHFD, the sequel looks very good! Please hurry with more! :D

3. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001

Yipee! A Destiny sequel! Great start and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your story.

4. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    to many peggy stories!!! But it's a good thing..I was confused for a minute until I went back and looked at YCHFD to figure out which universe I was in...

great start Peggy, can't wait to see what's coming up...

5. JediKnightZarc

JediKnightZarc Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2000
    WOOPHOO! I've been a bit busy lately but I am mighty glad I'm here to get a look at this!

Love it so far,especially the end with Bant asking him why he let Bruck get under his skin. I have a feeling that this is leading into something angsty and with lots of mush. Bring it on!

6. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks guys! Glad you like it! More tomorrow evening. :)

7. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    So good to see a sequel to "You Can't Hide from Destiny". I really really enjoyed that story, as I have each and every one of your stories I have read!!!!!

I look forward to more!

:D :D :D

8. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Yeah!!!! A new story to look forward to!!!

9. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thank you...thank you very much! :) Check back this evening.

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Hey, this is a good start! Yeah, Obi-Wan, why do you let Bruck get under your skin? Surely you've had some experience in dealing with difficult people during your time as Chief of Security?

It's good that Obi-Wan has friends to welcome him back, though. I'm glad they don't feel betrayed or wounded by his running away three years ago.

11. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    WOOHOO!!! Great beginning!!!

12. TrianaJinn

TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    Just finished "You Can't Hide from Destiny" this morning, and it was awesome.
    The sequel looks great so far, too. :)

13. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks! For those of you who might be pondering Obi-Wan's response to Bruck after having dealt successfully with people on his own for three years, I'll explain. Those of us who are a little older and have left our parents' home will relate to the fact that when we go home to visit, even though we function as successful, mature adults in our own lives, we tend to revert to old behavior patterns when back in our parents' world. It's a frustrating phenomenon to be sure, and I'm sure psychologists have a name for it...but the fact is, no matter how mature, no matter how successful, no matter how confident you are in your own life...your parents and siblings can still make you feel like you're ten years old in no time flat. I think it has something to do with the fact that we secretly feel that yes, we have done a wonderful job of living our lives, and we want recognition for that. What we don't realize is that people from our old lives still see us within the confines of our old life and tend to still treat us accordingly. I still remember my mother giving me step-by-step directions on where to find a jar of peanut butter in her kitchen, when all I asked her is what cabinet it was in. (They'd moved to a different house)

Oh well, I think I'm rambling, but I hope I've explained my reasoning sufficiently so you'll understand why Bruck can still get Obi-Wan angry. :)

14. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Okay, obviously I bored you with that little explanation. Hopefully you'll find another post more interesting. :)

Part 1

Obi-Wan stalked into his quarters and headed straight for his bedroom, plopping himself down at his desk. Leaning on the desk with his elbows and resting his head in his hands, Obi-Wan let out a heavy sigh.

/Why do I let this happen?/ he remonstrated himself. He?d been down in one of the
    practice rooms earlier, working on his katas, when Bruck and one of his cronies had
    appeared at the door. Taunts and challenges had led to sparring. More verbal barbs had led to Obi-Wan losing his temper, which had resulted in a fight.

Shaking his head in disbelief, Obi-Wan let his mind go back over what had happened.
    /Why do you let him get to you, Kenobi? You spent three years dealing with people who looked down on you because of your youth...having to prove yourself at every turn in order to earn their respect, and you never once lost your temper. So why does all your self-restraint go out the window every time Bruck opens his mouth?/

Realizing he didn?t have any answers, Obi-Wan got up with a sigh and pulled out his
    meditation mat. One thing he knew for sure...he?d better have an answer by the time his master got home, and meditation was the only way he knew to possibly come up with one.

?Master Jinn!?

Qui-Gon turned around in the hallway when he heard his name being called, nodding a
    greeting. ?Master Embry? How can I help you??

?You can keep your padawan away from mine!? she said with an irritated frown. ?He?s
    hardly been back a week and he?s already picked a fight with Bruck.?

Qui-Gon took a deep breath. So, it had started already. He?d fervently hoped that
    Obi-Wan and Bruck?s little feud wouldn?t resume after Obi-Wan?s return, but evidently
    that had been too much to hope for.

?What happened, Master Embry??

?Evidently your padawan challenged mine to spar and when Bruck started gaining the
    upper hand, he got mad and attacked him,? she stated. ?You really should teach that boy to have more patience, Master Jinn. I know he?s been on his own for quite some time, but if he?s going to live in the Temple, he should be made to understand that he has to abide by the rules just like everyone else.?

Qui-Gon seriously doubted that Bruck?s version of what had happened was strictly the
    truth, but Master Embry was right about one thing...Obi-Wan was going to have to learn more patience. He?d hoped the boy?s time as chief of security for the Prime Minister of Regalta IV would have taught him to curb his anger, but...evidently it hadn?t.

?I apologize for my padawan?s behavior, Master Embry,? replied Qui-Gon. ?You can be
    sure he?ll be punished.?

?Well,? she stuttered, clearly expecting Qui-Gon to defend his padawan, ?I should hope
    so. Please see that this doesn?t happen again.?

Qui-Gon sighed as he watched the other master?s retreating back. Enduinna Embry was known for indulging her padawan, and turning a blind eye to his faults...something
    Qui-Gon feared would only have a detrimental affect on the boy.

/Well...might as well get this over with,/ he thought, shaking his head. He knew Obi-Wan wasn?t angry by nature, and usually he had a great deal of patience. But, something about Bruck Chun seemed to bring out the worst in Obi-Wan and it was something the young man was going to have to learn how to control. He would certainly run into his share of obnoxious beings in his service to the Jedi, so the sooner he learned to control his anger, the better off he?d be.

Obi-Wan opened his eyes from meditating to take in the sight of his master, arms crossed, leaning against the doorway of his room, an unreadable expression on his face. Quickly lowering his eyes, Obi-Wan got up, folded up his mat and put it on the closet shelf, and then came to stand before his master.

?Obi-Wan,? said Qui-Gon, breaking the silence, ?would you join me in the common area??

?Yes, Master,? replied Obi-Wan softly.

Qui-Gon seated himself on the so

15. TrianaJinn

TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    Great post! [face_devil]
    I hope Qui-Gon got Obi's call for help.

16. Keyla_Kenobi

Keyla_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2000
    No no no no!! You can't leave us there!! You HAVE to post, and you have to post NOW! :D
    Great story! I love your work! ;)

17. JediKnightZarc

JediKnightZarc Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2000
    ::stares at screen in shock::

you had better post again soon woman! That was cruel and dirty trick leaving us hanging like that!

18. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jedi Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2000
    EEK! Only back for two days and he's all ready been in a fight and pounded by Bruck. The poor boy can't seem to stay out of trouble.

Great post! I can't wait for more! :D :D :D

19. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Oh man, the poor guy is certainly not having an easy time returning to the Temple. I would love to see someone throttle that $%&* Bruck :mad: Please end our suffering and post more soon :D

I couldn't agree more with what you said about returning home. I still feel like I am 12 years old at my Moms house and not capable of boiling water. I think sometimes when Mom says "be sure and turn off the burner when you are done", I am raising a family of my own I think I can remember and then what do I do, leave the burner on :D

20. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Hee hee! :D Glad you're liking this. Tune in tomorrow evening for more! ;)

21. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    back for two days and he'sgonna land in hte healer's clutches...if Qui answers his call for help...
    can't wait for the next post Peggy!!!

:)

22. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Actually, he's been back a little over a week...but, who's counting?

23. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    I avoided a similiar problem by not attending my Class Reunion! High School was NOT a happy time in my life! It has taken me far too long to build up my self-esteem, I wasn't willing to have it dashed in one evening!

Waiting for posts can be so hard!!!! :(
    Great story!!

P.S. I almost forgot: ;) Poor Obi-Wan!

24. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    I didn't go to mine either. I once heard someone say that the only people who go to class reunions are the ones who want to relive their glory days and the ones who want to prove they weren't losers after all. ;)

25. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    Aw man, I wish I was there to shove a thermal detonator down one of those bullies underpants. Poor 'O-B', I bet his body is just on big callous by now with all the punishment you've inflicted on him over the months!
    Class Reunions?!! :eek:
    Hmmm, I wonder why they never called me last year? ?[face_plain] Maybe cuz I was known as 'the loose cannon' :p
    Don't be a stranger...post often and post hard!
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.