main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Growing Pains -- Qui-Gon and his first Padawan -- one-post vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Growing Pains
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: Qui-Gon Jinn learns about
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi OCs
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi, first padawan
    Summary: Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn and his first Padawan learn a lesson about growing. Boliv was introduced in the vignette First Flight.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don't catch being my speciality - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I'm just playing in their sandbox

Master Fayot Uhm glared back with increasing dismay as Qui-Gon explained the situation to her. He mentioned that Master Yuta had highly recommended Uhm for helping with his Padawan's training. Uhm only responded with scowls and occasional glances that sized up Boliv, who stood respectfully behind Qui-Gon.

They stood together in a corner of a large training arena that echoed with the sounds of exertion. Pairs and groups of other Jedi sparred and exercised in their own areas. Uhm, a Twi'lek and a senior Jedi Master, stood with her hands on her wide hips. She wore her own version of a Jedi Master's garb; heavy, dark brown boots, cream colored pants, an obi tied low around her hips and a Jedi belt over that. Two lightsabers hung from the belt. She wore no tunic, only an abbreviated top of a heavy, dark brown, semi-glossy material that supported her generous upper body. Cream-colored tabards hung down from her shoulders, almost to her knees and partially covered her bare mid-section. She was older, with a slightly lined face and a sagging chin, though her skin was still a bright, vibrant yellow. She was very fit and her bare arms well-muscled. Qui-Gon did not know her personally, but he had seen her fight. She was a well-regarded Master with both one and two saber fighting styles.

He continued explaining his request while she looked up at Qui-Gon with an increasingly sour expression in her amber-colored eyes. Her brow furrowed under a dark brown headband; her two head lekku were tied together behind her with a matching band.

Qui-Gon finished and waited for her answer. He sensed Boliv's increasing wariness behind him.

"Qui-Gon Jinn, you're a moron," she finally pronounced, her voice strong and definite. "You had to wait until now to come to me with this?" He opened his mouth to object, but she cut him off. "You couldn't think of it on your own? Yuta had to tell you to come to me?"

"If you do not wish to help," he began, now quite annoyed. He had been polite in his request and he would not stay to receive only insults in return. He began backing away, "I am sure that--."

"Stay right there!" she commanded with enough authority to freeze him in place. "Of course, I'll help you! But you obviously don't know what the situation is." She pointed an accusing finger at his chest. He stared back, confused. The young Knight was quite certain that he did.

"The problem isn't just with fighting and lightsabers," she told him, her tone a little less severe. Qui-Gon relaxed, a little, in response. He had only asked her about training for Boliv; he couldn't think of anything else that he needed from Uhm.

"You really don't know, do you?" Uhm scrutinized him carefully; the sense of her probing thoughts through the Force was very strong.

He opened his mouth to reply, though he had no idea what to say, since he really didn't know what she was hinting at, and he was feeling a bit annoyed that she didn't just say what she thought he didn't know.

"Please, don't make excuses," she cut him off. "I can see it all over you; you don't know what I'm talking about." She looked him up and down, again with disapproval. She heaved a sigh, her large chest rising and falling theatrically. Twi'lek's were often v

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was great. I loved how Qui-Gon was oblivious to his apprentice's assets and how her body would get in the way of what he was trying to teach her. Of course, learning with Dooku, he wouldn't have had much experience training a buxom girl.

Great job.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I like this even better than the prequel :D I like the way you dealt with Boliv's emotions and growing pains, and how Qui-Gon dealt with it differently than the other Master. Good job!!

4. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I really liked that. I always love to read fics about what life for a Padawan must be like when nothing extraordinary is happening and this showed a truly normal problem a Master might have with a Padawan. Lovely way of describing Qui-Gon's cluelessness and his Padawan's increasing discomfort. And Master Uhm is definitely a very interesting OC. :D

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a wonderful portrayal of their relationship.

Again, Qui-Gon felt regret that he had failed to notice when his Padawan might be struggling with something, in this case, her appearance. He asked her why she hadn't said anything.

Boliv shrugged, looking a little embarrassed. "I never thought about it before."

"I had not, either," Qui-Gon admitted. He invited her to sit and she eagerly pulled out a floor cushion. He noticed that she moved differently, more freely, now that no part of her tunic or pants were pulling on her somewhere.

He asked her how her time with Uhm had gone. Boliv grimaced.

"She said that I was as brainless as you were," she admitted. "I think that was a compliment," she finished a little uncertainly. "We're going to be training with her a lot, aren't we?" The tone of her question told Qui-Gon that she already knew the answer.

He smiled. "Yes," he confirmed. "She is rude and abrasive, but it is her way, and she has much to teach us."

Boliv unhappily sagged forward, her elbows on the table.

"And," he finished, "we both have much to learn."

=D=

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "Qui-Gon Jinn, you're a moron," she finally pronounced, her voice strong and definite.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

That was just delightful. I liked that Qui-Gon found someone to help him with training, even if she is rude and abrasive.

Wonderful viggie ardavenport .

7. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004

dianethx: This is definitely a case where Qui-Gon needs to learn his part of being a Master by experience. He and Dooku are so similar, he just might not realize how important difference in body type would make. Qui-Gon just needed an outside perspective on the problem.[face_mischief] Thanks for reading!

NYCitygurl: So glad you liked it! Thanks! :)

Indra: When he was younger, I'm sure Qui-Gon was clueless sometimes, but all he needed was a more experienced master to kick him in the rear end to get it. :D Thanks for reading!

VaderLVR64: Glad you liked their relationship; it was fun to write! Thanks.

Healer_Leona: Aaaaaah, Qui-Gon might miss a few things, but he knows when to ask another master for help. Thanks for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.