main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Prison without Walls - TPM era AU - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin - Updated 12/2

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: A Prison without Walls
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, Mace Windu? Do those names ring a bell? :p
    Summary: Something different happens at the end of TPM. How does that change the chain of events leading up to ROTS? Does it?
    Notes: Adopted from the devious and diabolically clever Juliet316. [face_devil] Just so you know where to put the blame! Here was the bunny - What if a powerful Jedi like Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke or even Jacen suffered a stroke or similar aliment and was literally trapped inside their own body with little access to the Force beyond basic awareness of what was going on around them? How would they deal with that? Would they go insane? Would they try to heal themselves? Would they ever recover?

And a big [:D] to Gina for yet another LOVELY cover!

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/MamaVader/Prisoncopy2.jpg]

A Prison without Walls

?Wherever any one is against his will, that is to him a prison.? - Epictetus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When he saw the healer finally emerge from the surgical suite, Obi-Wan shot to his feet. ?Is there any news?? he asked anxiously.

The solemn look on the healer?s face was enough to start his heart beating fast. But he would have sensed his Master passing into the Force. Wouldn?t he? Her next words allowed him to start breathing again. ?He?s stabilized for now,? she said, but she did not sound as relieved as Obi-Wan felt.

?But?? He asked, sensing the unspoken word, his voice no more than a croak pushed through a constricting throat.

She motioned toward some chairs and urged him to sit. He had kept his vigil by himself, granted permission by Master Yoda. The ancient little Jedi had known how much he needed to be alone while he waited to find out if his Master would live or die. Obi-Wan sank into a chair and clasped his hands in his lap. He was dismayed to discover that they were shaking. Where was his customary composure?

?Knight Kenobi,? she began gently and he flinched from the title. Of course, he had only been a knight for a few hours, but it seemed rather disrespectful to address him by the honorific now, while he waited to hear news of Qui-Gon. Everyone knew he had only been knighted because no one had expected his Master to live. Obi-Wan hoped fervently that his Master, as he had done so many times in the past, would prove them all wrong once again. ?Your Master?s condition is fragile at best,? she murmured.

?What do you mean?? Obi-Wan asked in a dull voice.

The healer sighed and seemed to search for the right words. ?I cannot predict how well or how quickly he will recover.?

?But he will recover, right?? the young man asked.

Her eyes met his and he shrank from the sorrow in her kind eyes. ?I do not know,? she answered honestly.

For a moment, Obi-Wan wanted to ask her to lie to him, to assure him that Qui-Gon would make a full recovery. There would be comfort in the lie and for just a little while he would allow himself to believe. But a Jedi did not place his faith in lies or false comfort. He must face the possible loss of his Master as courageously as Qui-Gon was facing death. Obi-Wan had responsibilities now, not only to himself and his Master, but to the little boy who waited so anxiously with the Queen?s handmaidens.

?I understand,? Obi-Wan murmured. He nodded to show he had heard her words. ?Thank you for your help, Healer Byn.? She stood and crossed the small room toward the door.

?I?ll inform the Council of his condition,? she said quietly. ?You may wait here if you?d like.?

?Thank you,? Obi-Wan said absently. She turned and left and he was alone once more. The Council had brought a Jedi Healer with them in order to treat the grievously wounded Master and now those Jedi who had gathered on Naboo could do nothing more than wait for the will of the Force to be revealed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obi-Wan was at Qui-Gon?s bedside, shocked by how pale his Master looked. His lips were a

2. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Oh wow! What a beginning!! =D=

This was just gripping - I was trying to bite my nails! this is certaintly a different take on events and I cannot wait to see what you do with Juliet's bunny - it's already got me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next update.

You never cease to amaze me with how many diverse things you can juggle at once *laughs*

3. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Yes, another Vadey story! Wheeeeeeeee!

And what a wonderful, heartbreaking start. Of course, I'm already hooked! :p Can I please be on your PM list? I've got to see what happens next! I'm really worried about Obi-wan - he's going to have a tough time with this.

What a great plot bunny!

4. Gizzi1213

Gizzi1213 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2006
    What a fantastic plot bunny! The title to this fic suits it perfectly as well.

Obi-Wan's anguish and raw emotions he's trying to contain with Jedi stoicism are still so readily apparent. My heart aches for him.

I can't wait to see how you develop this idea! Please add me to the PM list, if there is one!

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    That was amazing and very intense.

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh my...of course, I want to be on the PM list. Wonderful beginning, as usual.

7. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Great start=D==D= I look forward to finding out what happens next=D= And *Waves hand* you will put me on th PM list;)

8. Kelli_LB

Kelli_LB Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Wow, you are a story machine. I can't believe all the great WIPs that you have going. This one looks to be another great one. Could you please put me on your PM list, I don't want to miss one post. Great work!

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great job so far. I loved how you set it up and what is going on. I look forward to seeing where you go with this.

Put me on your PM list please.

10. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Amazing start. I loved how you characterised Mace and Obi-Wan, and I hope to see Anakin make an appearance soon.

Could I please have a PM when this is updated? :)

11. Jaded_Rose

Jaded_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2006
    Wow talk about a plot bunny. This is incredible - please PM me when you update

J_Ro

12. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Very interesting beginning!!! I hope Qui-Gon will survive [face_praying]

13. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    Force, you're a *bleep*, Kim. I will hate you forever for that cliffie, unless of course...you put me on the PM list?

14. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What a sad beginning.

The Jedi can't even rejoice Qui-Gon has survived....at least physically.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    What a great holiday treat :) more please

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I like the beginning. Poor Qui - Gon. :)

*ducks anything getting thrown her way*

17. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Very Intriguing beggining. Please put me on the PM list :)

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Jade_Max The secret is to employ monkeys to sit at the computer. :p

VA_ParkyIt's not going to be easy on anyone. And this plot bunny was a lovely gift, and the story line came to me in a flash. :eek:

Gizzi1213 I will and thank you for your kind words! [face_blush]

Sara_Kenobi Thank you! :D

Valairy_Scot I'll add you, and thanks! :)

General_Kenobi_66 I'll put you on the PM list. [face_hypnotized] Yes, Master...

Kelli_LB Don't remind me! :_| I have to write at least ten chapters a week to keep even. :_| But that didn't stop me from begging for this plot bunny. [face_mischief]

dianethx The ending came to me first. And now I'm just trying to get there. ;)

Cael-Fenton Thanks! And Anakin is in this update. :)

Jaded_Rose Wasn't it a lovely plot bunny??? I'm so grateful.

Fifilla Be careful what you wish for. [face_whistling]

palpyisgod2 Well, I would have, but you just called me a name. ;) Okay... [face_laugh]

KELIA I hope you like what's coming!

PadawanKitara Your wish is my command. :)

Juliet316 Thank you for the wonderful plot bunny! [:D]

Alley_Skywalker I will, and thank you!

[b]Chapter 2[/b]

Obi-Wan ran through the door and came to an abrupt halt. At least a dozen medical personnel were clustered around Qui-Gon?s bed, their urgency terrifyingly clear. The Jedi Healer, Master Nybron, was obviously in charge, but the Naboo medical team moved in flawless synchronicity, almost able to anticipate her orders.

?What?s going on?? he asked, and Master Windu suddenly appeared at his side. Obi-Wan felt a warm hand on his arm, urging him away from the bed, but he felt rooted to the spot.

As he watched in numb horror, Qui-Gon gave a wet, explosive cough and Obi-Wan saw crimson droplets erupt in a shower from his Master?s mouth. Qui-Gon?s blood was soon coating the protective eyewear of those huddled around him. ?He?s dying,? Obi-Wan whispered. Mace Windu remained silent, and perhaps that was confirmation enough.

Turning to Master Windu because he could no longer bear the sight of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan asked quietly, ?What happened??

Mace gently tugged at Obi-Wan?s sleeve, and this time he allowed himself to be led away and out the door. He could do nothing more for his Master and he was not sure he could watch him die. ?It was a blood clot,? Mace explained. ?It broke free and?? He shrugged.

?Has the Healer said anything about -? Obi-Wan cleared his throat. ?About his chances??

?She hasn?t said anything,? Mace said grimly, his eyes going back to the door. ?I guess all we can do is wait.?

?Right, he is,? Yoda said, having followed Obi-Wan at a more sedate and dignified pace. ?Wait we must.? With that, he settled his frame in a chair, his feet dangling over the floor in the manner that Obi-Wan usually found slightly humorous. But not tonight, there was nothing funny about it at all tonight.

The young man sank down into a chair and leaned forward, burying his face in his hands. ?I shouldn?t have left him,? he groaned.

?Stop this, you could not, young one,? Yoda said sternly, though his gaze remained compassionate. ?The will of the Force it is, and it is there that Qui-Gon?s fate rests.?

The three Jedi fell silent, each absorbed in their own thoughts about the future.

~~~~~~~

The Force beckons me warmly and for a moment, I am lifted up far above that cold floor on which I know my body must lie. The Sith?s blade has ended my life, there could be no other outcome. I was too slow, too old?

I have no regrets?save two?

I will not live to see my Obi-Wan knighted, as I have dreamed of for so many years. He has been my pride, the heart I have refused to heed. If I had a few hours left to me I would wish to tell him how much he has meant to me. But there is another message, one more important than mere emotions.

The boy!

The boy must be trained. I feel it. There i

19. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    :eek:

Obi-Wan's fear, his desperation.... Anakin's confusion and sorrow... and Qui-Gon's thoughts, his thoughts, oh my!

What an update! I'm sitting on the edge of my seat - will Qui-Gon live? *bites nails*

I had to go look up exactly it was an "ischemic stroke" was [face_blush] - my medical terminology doesn't extened that far *chuckle*

20. Jaded_Rose

Jaded_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2006
    Poor Obi! Medical platitudes suck. :( And Anakin isn't looking so great, either. All in all, a wonderful update! :p

J_Ro

21. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, dear, that doesn't sound good. Anakin is right to worry about what he is going to do or be forced to do - he's only a child after all and has little control of his fate at this point. Obi-Wan is clearly distraught and not thinking about the kid. Qui-Gon is trapped inside his body and may be dying. This is terrible. I don't see how there can be a happy ending. Of course, you didn't promise us one, either. :_|

Great job.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I have no regrets?save two?

I will not live to see my Obi-Wan knighted, as I have dreamed of for so many years. He has been my pride, the heart I have refused to heed. If I had a few hours left to me I would wish to tell him how much he has meant to me. But there is another message, one more important than mere emotions.

The boy!

The boy must be trained. I feel it. There is danger in his training ? yes. Obi-Wan was not completely wrong about that, but there is more danger in not training him. I must warn Obi-Wan? So much depends on the boy!

My strength fails and I follow where the Force leads.

I love the whole chapter, OF COURSE, but I really like this.

23. Kelli_LB

Kelli_LB Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Wonderful chapter, I really felt for Anakin. He's in a strange world, with strange people that aren't too thrilled with his presence, and the only ones who seemed to like him are too busy or dying.

24. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Very nice post=D= =D= =D=
    I also feel bad for Anakin:( A rare thing for me;) Actually, you are one of very few that can make me feel sorry for him:p
    Anyway, very nice, and I look forward to more=D= :)

25. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    That was really good. Thank you for the PM. :)

The boy!

The boy must be trained. I feel it. There is danger in his training ? yes. Obi-Wan was not completely wrong about that, but there is more danger in not training him. I must warn Obi-Wan? So much depends on the boy!

I love Qui-Gon, I do, but that bit always made me :mad:, though I understand why things had to be that way. And right now, I am acually feeling sorrier for Anakin than Obi-Wan. Poor kid. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.