main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends In the Shadow of the Temple - OC vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: In the Shadow of the Temple
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: OC
    Summary: A young girl admires the Jedi Order from afar.
    Timeframe: Pre-TPM to ROTS
    Notes: Inspired by the title of a Jean Plaidy book, In the Shadow of the Crown.

In the Shadow of the Temple

She grew up in the shadow of the Jedi Temple. As long as she could remember, she had played beneath the lofty spires, found refuge in the shadows it cast, slept with the soothing glow of its lights sneaking in her window at night. To her, every light seemed to emanate from the Temple, though she knew it was not true.

The Temple was a constant in her life, one of the few she could count on; somehow it a promise of a future that would be brighter than her present. It was not that her life was dreadful, it simply lacked joy. Her friends seemed quite happy in their lives, but the girl knew that she was different. She thought only she knew what it was like to lay in her bed at night and wish for?something.

Her parents provided for all her needs. She was well fed, nicely clothed, and housed comfortably. She lacked for nothing, except perhaps for love. Her mother and father were not cruel people; they did not mistreat or abuse her. If they could have been judged guilty of anything, it would have been distracted neglect. They were busy people, not very important except in their own minds, but leading lives full of tasks to be completed and things to be done.

Her friends called her Xamie, though her parents always called her by her more formal name of Xamidrina. Xamie knew that to her parents, she was just another thing to be tended to, an object to be clothed and educated and molded into a productive member of society.

And all of this was done in the shadow of the Temple.

Often, she would see the younglings lined up behind their Masters, the colors of their robes and tunics blending into each other. Xamie thought how comforting that would be, to be one of many, always knowing that someone cared. She looked on them with longing, wishing fervently that she could feel the Force.

More than anything, she wished her parents would give her to the Jedi. They would not miss her, she knew. Xamie thought she could have been happy in that austere life because it was full of fellowship, people who understand simply because they were so much alike. They would have understood her without effort.

Sometimes when her parents thought she was asleep, she was looking out her window, gazing at the Temple and wondering about the beings that lived there. Was there a little girl just her age? Was she also perhaps looking out toward Xamie?s window, wondering about her?

When she grew older, she would sneak away from her home and venture closer to the Temple. When she was eight years old, she worked up the courage to actually touch the Temple wall. A Jedi walked out then, a dark-skinned man with a fierce expression. Xamie quickly withdrew her hand, ready to be scolded. But he merely smiled at her.

?Aren?t your parents going to be worried about you little one?? he asked.

She blinked up at him; he seemed so tall standing there over her. His lightsaber hung from his belt and Xamie wondered what color the blade would be.

Shaking her head, she shrugged. ?Not really, sir.?

Something changed in his expression but she could not say what it was. He leaned down and smiled at her. ?You like the Temple, do you??

?It?s pretty,? Xamie answered. ?I like to look at it at night, when some of the lights are shining and I think about the people who live here.? She wrapped her arms around herself. ?It makes me feel safe.? It was the first time she had ever expressed what the building made her feel, and she was almost as surprised as he was.

He looked up, as if seeing it for the first time. ?I suppose it does,? he said. ?You can come back and look at it again if you?d like.? He smiled and patted her shoulder. ?We don?t mind, you know.?

Xamie nodded shyly and skipped away. When she looked back over her shoulde

2. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    :_| That was sad but very, very beautiful! =D=
    I loved every bit of it!!!

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW an outsiders view of the Jedi. Beautifully written.

4. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    :_|

Oh, what a bittersweet story! Xamie is truly wonderful, especially as a child, with her wonderful sense of innocence. She's quite a deep character, and I love that she holds onto her convictions, no matter what the Emperor says. Excellent little fic!=D=

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely little vignette. I liked that she grew up near the Temple and knew in her heart how much good the Jedi did.

Loved this part
    Obi-Wan Kenobi, the young man she had met so briefly, was famous. He had become a great warrior and at his side was his own apprentice, Anakin Skywalker. She followed their exploits and prayed for them. She often thought how proud Qui-Gon would have been of his apprentice, that impatient boy who had grown up to be so much.

Proud indeed.

Great job.

6. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    That was lovely. I really like how you showed just a glimpse of our favorite Jedi and yet their personality came through in just a few lines. Very nice.

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Oh poor Xamie!

:_| :_| :_| :_|

What a tough childhood she had. I was happy to see the Jedi show her some kindness.

I'm gald she didn't accept the Emperor's lies about the Jedi.

Wonderful job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Another wonderful story...I don't know how you manage to do it. Can you bottle it up and sell me some?

Her life passed quietly, her days full of inconsequential things.

On the news one night there was a story about the Trade Federation?s blockade of Naboo and a name caught her attention. To her surprise, she cried when she heard of his death. She had not seen him since that day he had introduced himself, but she had never forgotten him.

Xamie wondered what had become of his Padawan and hoped that he had survived.

Then she cried for him too, because even if he lived, she could not imagine losing someone like the kindly Jedi Master.

9. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Wonderful view from a civilian. Love her innocence, and how you showed her life growing up. I imagine many people would have felt like her, remembering the Jedi as the protectors even after the Empire. Sad ending :( Hopefully she gets to see the end of the emperor's rule.

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Fifilla Thank you! I enjoyed writing it. [:D]

earlybird-obi-wan
    I think it?s always interesting to get another perspective on the Jedi.

lindemacil She was fun to write, pretty much told her own story! :p

dianethx Yes, he would have been SO proud! :_|

azizah Thank you! [:D]

KELIA I used to teach, and we?d see kids like her all the time. Not truly abused, but somewhat forgotten. :(

Valairy_Scot With all your talent? I think you?re the one who should be offering it in bottles! :D

Jedi_Tigris I have a feeling she does.

11. godofwar1233

godofwar1233 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    Hey Vader i would like to use this girl in one of my stories as sort of a background character.

12. Lauren_Solo

Lauren_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2007
    Oh Vader, if I quoted everything I loved about this story, I would be here all night, lol!

That was beautiful and I adore your OC!

13. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Great story. Very sad, very emotional. The detail is great and helps a lot with this stories originality.

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    godofwar1233 Thanks for reading.

Lauren_Solo Thank you so much! [:D]

jedimasterbac So glad you liked it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.