main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Trouble with Qui-Gon--Qui, Dooku--updated 11/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ara-gon, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Title: The Trouble with Qui-Gon
    Challenge: Childhood Qui
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Yan Dooku, OC
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Yan Dooku, Living Force
    Summary: Dooku finds that having a padawan strong in the Living Force can be more trouble than he ever imagined. Chapter One was originally a vig in the old QGJ Challenge thread. And then it multiplied on me. I thought I?d share.
    Disclaimer: I know the Star Wars world isn?t mine, but I?m immensely grateful to Lucas for sharing it with us. No money has or will exchange hands over this piece of fluff.

Chapter One

The Trouble with Qui-Gon

Jerem Kolath stalked into the lounge. It was the third lounge he had visited in his search, and he was starting to grow testy. Scanning the crowd, he finally located his quarry?or at least his quarry?s footwear. Sticking out of the alcove in the far corner of the lounge were Yan Dooku?s boots.

?And he better be in them . . .? Jerem muttered as he closed the distance. This time, he was not disappointed.

Skipping polite preambles, he addressed the issue that had sent him in search of his old friend, ?Good padawans are always a challenge, Yan.?

Dooku did not flinch from his unfocused stare. ?Not like this.?

?Is he disobedient??

?Never.?

?Undisciplined??

?Hardly.?

?Unfocused??

?No.?

?Dull??

That question brought a dangerous glint to Dooku?s eyes as he finally looked at the Jedi standing before him.

Kolath raised a hand to indicate his desire to placate. He had known the jibe would rouse Dooku. ?What then? What disagreement is it that has left your padawan moping sadly around the gardens??

Dooku leaned forward, finally involved in the conversation. ?What did he say to you, Jerem??

?Nothing but what would pass the lips of a respectful and obedient padawan, Yan.? Jerem pulled a stool closer and sat down. ?But it doesn?t take a mind healer to tell that the boy knows you?re upset with him. What is the trouble??

Dooku ran his fingers through his black hair, a gesture equally elegant and frustrated.
    ?The trouble with Qui-Gon . . .? Dooku stopped, realizing that his words were more heated than was seemly for a Jedi. He started anew, ?It?s his connection to the Living Force, Jerem. It causes?er, complications.?

Jerem took notice. His friend was never one to stumble over words. Yan Dooku was nothing if not precise.

?What do you mean by ?complications???

Dooku sighed. ?The boy is so enamored by the Living Force that he feels compelled to assist every helpless creature we encounter. I allow him to provide aid when we encounter needy people and when doing so will not interfere with our missions. A Jedi is?after all?to be a model of compassion and mercy. It is his affinity for animals that is straining our relationship. Large eyes and fur blind him to claws and teeth. He wants to provide a home for every homeless mammal he finds.?

?Teach him discernment, Yan. Or how to use his resources for the greatest gain. Both are worthy lessons for a Jedi.?

Dooku?s words were calm and stately, as if he were discussing matters of state: ?Jerem, he wanted to bring a bantha calf back to the Temple.?

?Oh.?

?And a sand panther cub.?

?Um.?

?On the same two-person transport.?

?Ah.? Jerem ran his hand over the stubble on his chin. Then he shrugged. ?Indulge him.?

Dooku?s eyebrows slowly rose. ?Indulge him with a sand panther cub, Jerem??

?No, of course not. Indulge him in something small, furry, and harmless. Let him have a pet. He?ll feel as if he?s doing something helpful by providing a home and caring for a creature. And, every time he wants to bring home another pet, you can deny it on the basis that he?s already caring for one.?

?And you think that will help??

?Will it hurt to try??

Kolath opened the door and stepped into the quarters that Dooku and Qui-Gon shared. From his room, Dooku snapped, ?Will you never learn proper manners, Jerem??

Grinning, Jerem replied, ?No, and I?ve decided I?m too old to le

2. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Why is it that the Tribbles always find Qui-Gon on the board? :)

They must know that here is someone that would love them no matter their more interesting proclivities.

Glad to see you writing! =D=[face_laugh]@};-

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, oh, tribbles are trouble even if they do trill very nicely. Very cute so far.

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] I see you decided to go ahead and start posting :D

Poor Dooku :p I feel bad for him with Qui-Gon as an apprentice ;)

5. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    I think I've read this before somewhere...
    I am curious what will happen next.
    Great work! :) =D=

?Master, I did as you suggested and researched my pet. It is not native to Kashyyyk. In fact, there?s very little information in the archives about it. But I do know its name. It?s a tribble.? A happy smile suffused his face for he was pleased with the results of his research and eagerly anticipating a long life with his new pet.
    [face_laugh] Rather pets in pluaral than pet - have fun with them! [face_devil] [face_laugh]

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hehehehehe [face_mischief] Oh my!! I see the Temple becoming what the Enterprise did with those things! [face_laugh] Oh my goodness! That's juz too good!!

Great job! Loving it! :) :) Can't wait for more! :D

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Oh no tribbles in the temple means troubles. Jinn and animals.
    Nice story

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Perhaps Dooku should have put some limitations on what kind of pet Qui could have.

Very cute!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    Noelie,

Are there other stories with Qui and tribbles? I did a search but didn?t find any. It just seemed like a natural pairing?and hopefully a humorous one.

Thank you. It?s good to be writing.

Diane,

Nice bit of alliteration there! But even tribbles aren?t cute forever. Well, they're cute, but their breeding habits aren't.

Thanks for reading!

Layren,

And, see, I feel just the opposite. I think Qui is the one that deserves the compassion, with Dooku for a Master. :D

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback. @};-

Fifilla,

Originally, I posted the first chapter as a challenge response in the old Qui-Gon thread. The idea wouldn?t leave me alone, and I realized there was more to the story. I?m glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you for remembering it from before!

Kynstar,

It will certainly be a different experience for the Temple. Here?s the more!

I hope you enjoy Dooku. He?s just too much fun to put under a bit of stress.

earlybird-obi-wan,

Jinn and animals, indeed. He just invites such mischief and mayhem, doesn?t he?

Thanks for responding!

Kelia,

Dooku thought he did put limitations on his padawan?s pet?small and only one. He thought he had his bases covered. Little does he know . . .

Thanks for reading!

10. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    Chapter Two

Master Dooku prowled around the Temple, looking for his Padawan. He thought his directive had been clear: one pet, no more.

Evidently his padawan was not as obedient as he had thought.

As he paced down the hall leading to the training salles, another Jedi fell into step next to him, matching long stride with equally long stride, their footfalls echoing off the tile.

?What is it, Kolath??

?Careful, Dooku, word is you?re frightening the crechelings and junior padawans. And you know what Master Yoda says about fear.?

?The junior padawan that should be frightened right now is mine, ? growled the irritable Master.

Jerem Kolath sighed and wondered to himself why he was always the one who needed to calm Dooku.

?Tell me what happened.?

?Remember your fabulous idea of allowing my padawan to have a pet? Now he?s got two.?

Jerem looked at the fluffy ball clutched a bit too tightly in his friend?s hand.

?That is a different color from the other one. This one is black. The other one was spotted?white and brown, I believe. Why would Qui-Gon do that? ?

A dark tone laced the Jedi?s words, ?That?s what I intend to find out.?

?Padawan Jinn, are you adequately focused?? Jocasta Nu turned her stern eyes in the direction of the miserable student. He had been squirming through her entire lecture, and she doubted he had gained anything from her vast expertise.

?Yes, Master Nu. I am focused.? It wasn?t a lie. Not really. He was focused, very miserably focused on the fact that he had somehow come to class with a tribble in his pocket. It was not his tribble, certainly. His tribble was white and brown and this one was brown and black. But that did nothing to explain where this tribble came from and how it had ended up in his pocket.

?Very good, Padawan Jinn. I expect nothing less from our padawans. Class, you have your assignment from your regular instructor. You?re dismissed. ?

Vastly relieved, Qui-Gon bolted for the door.

?Qui-Gon!? Tahl yelled after him, but he never slowed his pace as he headed down the hallway.

Bad. This was very, very bad.

It was undeniable now that he was holding one in each palm of his hand. Two tribbles. He groaned as he considered what his Master would say. As fastidious as Master Dooku was, he realized that two pets were more than his Master would allow.

A shocking thought occurred to him. What if they shed?

One tribble landed softly on his desk. He stroked the remaining tribble. It trilled and cooed and wiggled and despite his dilemma, he smiled. He looked at his fingers. No hair. He tried again, with a firmer touch. Still no hair. He knew that some species shed their hair seasonally in a few short days of what was called blowing. At least his problem was not as bad as it could be.

The chime to his apartment rang.

He glanced around, looking for a suitable hiding place for the tribbles. But the spare quarters failed to afford many hiding places. Then he realized that his Master would never activate the chime. He sighed and moved to the door.

Upon opening the door, he was relieved to see Tahl. She was a direct as always: "What's wrong with you?" She bustled past him and walked into his room. She noticed the problem right away.

"Qui-Gon! Two tribbles! What are you thinking? Master Dooku will never let you keep two!"

"Tahl, I know that. What I don't know is why there are two. I only brought one back from Kashyyyk."

Picking one up, Tahl posited, "Well, maybe there was an extra in your bag."

"Maybe. But that still doesn't solve the problem of what I do with them."

"We'll figure this out--together. But let's go where we can sit to think."

Qui-Gon picked up the other tribble, and the friends headed into the common area. They stopped as surely as if they had encountered a force field. Scattered on and around the furniture were half a dozen more tribbles.

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Qui-Gon picked up the other tribble, and the friends headed into the common area. They stopped as surely as if they had encountered a force field. Scattered on and around the furniture were half a dozen more tribbles.

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

Poor Qui just has no idea what he's in for :p

So glad to see this finally updated! =D=

12. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    ?Yes, Master Nu. I am focused.? It wasn?t a lie. Not really. He was focused, very miserably focused on the fact that he had somehow come to class with a tribble in his pocket.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'm so glad you updated this!
    Qui-Gon seems to be in a lot of trouble now - I think Dooku won't be amused ;)

I hope there will be another chapter soon... I cannot imagine what Qui-Gon and Tahl will do with all these tribbles. Perhaps hide them in a cupboard? :p

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, I have to ask.....didn't anyone ever tell young Qui-Gon where little tribbles come from? [face_laugh] Maybe he should talk to Tahl about it. [face_mischief] But tribbles are asexual about their reproduction. It will probably just confuse the poor boy. I hope he figures out how to explain it to Dooku. :)

14. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    aww more more!...err well no more pets, though I agree with Qui Gon, all cute furry animals need homes even if my parents and my college disagree.

15. JazzFox

JazzFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2006
    I agree JediKaren... amen to that. :D

Cute story.

[Edit: Pm me please when you update this!]

16. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    Layren (or should I say Jinngerbread?),

You?re right, he hasn?t a clue. But it won?t take long . . .

Thanks for your encouragement!

Fifilla,

Thanks so much! My updates may be slow, but they will be sure. I already have the ending written, so I just have to fill in the in-between.

Oh, he?ll hide them alright. For a bit. A tiny bit.

Ardavenport,

It?s not so much knowing where little tribbles come from. It?s really more about not knowing how very fast and frequently they arrive. Right now, no one in the Temple has a clue. The tribbles will fix that. Hmmm. Would a discussion of asexual reproduction be TOS-friendly since it is asexual? Thanks for reading.

JediKaren,

Aw! Another pet lover. My college never allowed pets, either. I missed them. Just wait until you get your own place, then you can have a veritable suburban zoo?like us. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

JazzFox,

Thank you! I appreciate your response! PM forthcoming.

Chapter 3

?We have to hide these!? Qui-Gon was, despite his years of Jedi training, practically frantic.

He moved quickly around the room, scooping up the balls of fluff into his arms, packing them into the pockets on his robe. When those were full, he started stuffing them up the sleeves of his tunic. They promptly rolled back out, falling softly around his boots. Exasperated, he bent over to retrieve them.

?Sith?s lightning! There are more?hiding?under the furniture! Tahl, help me, please!?

As he pleaded, he was poking tribbles down the neck of his tunic.

The use of her name broke Tahl from her stunned silence. She glanced at Qui-Gon. The sight of his lumpy tunic front was almost too much for her. Two tribbles were perched high on his chest, creating an unfortunate and unintentional impression. ?Whatever are you doing? That?s far too . . . Well, that?s?that?s just wrong. We can?t have you walking about looking like that!?

Suppressing a laugh at how clueless her friend was, she starting rearranging them under his tunic, sliding them down towards his belt and around the back, where they were hidden by his robe.

Stepping back, she surveyed him critically from padawan braid to boot. ?I can?t see anything. Let?s go find a quiet place so we can form a plan. Oh, and take care not to bump into anyone.?

?Let?s search the rooms first, to make sure we got them all.?

They scoured the rooms, finding a scant three more tribbles. These Tahl pocketed as they walked out.

But it never occurred to either of them to breach the closed door to Master Dooku?s sleeping quarters.

Seated in Tahl?s sleeping quarters, more than a dozen tribbles spread out on the floor between them, Qui-Gon and Tahl bantered ideas back and forth. None of the ideas were good.

?They are rather cute.? Tahl stroked the black one nearest her hand. It trilled and seemed to lean into her touch although she couldn?t imagine how it managed to do so.

Qui-Gon rolled his eyes. ?Cute enough for my master to kill me. You know how he is about cuteness.?

As if on cue, four female padawans walked into Tahl?s room. In unison, they squealed.

Qui-Gon squinted at them. Tahl never squealed, thank the Light Side.

They knelt on the floor, around the tribbles, cooing and sighing. Qui-Gon?s eyebrows arched at this. He had never imagined that humanoid females could produce such sounds, but the Galaxy was awash in wonders.

?No, no, no, no, no,? Tahl interjected. ?You have to leave. This isn?t playtime.?

One of the padawans?the one with long, curly black hair batted violet eyes at Tahl, ?But Ta-hl . . .?

Qui-Gon saw Tahl grit her teeth. He knew that Tahl hated it when her name was expanded to two syllables. ?Don?t try, Serai. That may work on your Master, but it won?t work on me,? Tahl?s tone was firm.

Serai recognized the tone and put on a first-class pout. Placing a hand on Qui-Gon?s back to help her rise, she surreptitiously slipped one of the tribbles into the hood of his rob

17. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    But it never occurred to either of them to breach the closed door to Master Dooku?s sleeping quarters.
    Oh dear - I have a bad feeling about this! :D

Serai recognized the tone and put on a first-class pout. Placing a hand on Qui-Gon?s back to help her rise, she surreptitiously slipped one of the tribbles into the hood of his robe. With a flounce of black hair and a flip of brown robes, she left the room, trailing three other Padawans who stared wistfully at the tribbles as they walked.

?What was that??

[face_laugh] :rolleyes: Qui-Gon is really a bit naive, isn't he? [face_laugh]

Great update! =D=

18. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    *dies giggling* Tribbles, tribbles everywhere. (I liked Heinlein's flatcats, myself. Tribbles have to have been inspired by them.)

Poor Dooku! He has a roomful of fuzzballs now, doesn't he?

Granted, he has some connection to the Living Force himself, but at least when he decided to mind-control a dragon as a Sith, I don't think he left it reproducing in anybody's bedroom. ;)

...Although that might've been an interesting "present" for Palpatine....

19. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    what?? no more?

this is so funny i fell off my chair!

20. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oi didn't realize there had been more postings! Oh if there's a PM going out for new updates please add me to the list! Totally missed the last 2!

LOL! [face_laugh] It's started! My goodness... Qui is sooo gonna get it isn't he? Poor kid. Glad to see Tahl is there to help him, but my oh my...what are they gonna do?

Can't wait for more! :D

21. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    Fifilla: Yes, Qui-Gon is a bit naïve, especially about girls. But since I see him as being 9 or 10 in this fic, it seemed to fit. I remember most girls being more socially aware than boys at this age, so I thought Tahl would identify what Qui-Gon wouldn?t?yet.

Persephone Kore: I?m glad you giggled; I?m not alone in my sense of humor!

Ooooo!
    Dooku + dragon + present for his master + reproducing in said master?s bedroom = plot bunny

Shoo, plot bunny! It?s NaNo! Shoo!

Ratna: Yep, there?s more. This post, one or two more and then an epilogue. Be careful, reading fan fic isn?t supposed to be dangerous to your health. We don?t want OSHA after us!

Kynstar: I?m happy to put you on the PM list! Yes, Qui is gonna get it, Dooku-style. Hope you like! What are they going to do? Shhhhhhh! I really can?t tell?not just yet anyway. I'd hate to spoil the fun!

All readers: Thanks for being so patient. DRL saw fit to afflict me with frequent visits to doctors and physical therapists. I will finish it--eventually. Currently I'm sucked into the screaming vortex that is NaNoWriMo, so there won't be another update until December.

Chapter 4

Dooku walked out of Qui-Gon?s sleeping quarters. ?He?s hiding from me, Jerem.?

?He?s a busy padawan, Yan. He?s probably practicing his katas now, and before that I?ll bet he was in the labs, checking on an experiment. We didn?t check the labs.?

Dooku smiled smoothly at his friend. ?I know what you?re doing, Jerem, and it won?t work.?

?Fine! Be angry if you want. But be angry alone.? Kolath?s words were flat?not angry, but not conciliatory either. He turned and walked out the door.

Qui-Gon and Tahl walked to the cafeteria. The tribbles were hidden in a plasteel container in Tahl?s quarters. Both knew that the plasteel container would not stop them from breeding. Qui-Gon?s cheeks burned brightly at that thought. But they hoped that the container would be enough to keep them from taking over Tahl?s sleeping quarters. A plan, they desperately needed a plan.

The pair gathered their food and found a seat at an unoccupied table. After removing their robes, they began to eat.

Qui-Gon?s comlink chirped. After Qui-Gon activated it, the deep tones of his master could be heard by anyone at neighboring tables, ?Padawan, I was hoping that you would join me for dinner in our quarters.?

Qui-Gon narrowed his eyes. It was unlike his master to make a request; usually he commanded. ?Yes, Master, I?ll be there soon.?

Tahl?s expression questioned her friend. He shrugged, ?I?m dead. He knows.?

?Go. I?ll take care of your dishes.?

?Thank you,? his look was expressive. As he retrieved his robe, he missed the soft plunk as the tribble in his hood hit the floor and rolled under the table. In fact, no one noticed the fluffy creature at all.

Qui-Gon walked into his quarters to find his master setting steaming bowls of food on the table.

?Ah, Qui-Gon! There are two more bowls. Would you please get them and put them on the table??

Qui-Gon stared at the fragrant food. Tatoe crisps. A dish of spiced nerf meat in a tangy sauce. Jilli noodles and cheese. He glanced into the kitchen. Uh-oh. Choca cake and a container of Alderaanian ice softening on the counter. The meal was oddly themed, united by one feature?these were his favorite foods. This was not a casual dinner shared by a master and padawan. This was a last meal for the condemned.

He picked up the platter of hot nerf sandwiches and the bowl of fruit and carefully added them to the small table, already precariously loaded with food.

?Master, these are my favorite foods. I even see the choca cake that Drex makes. What is the occasion??

Dooku thanked the Force that he had his back to his padawan as he filled glasses with water. He sincerely hoped that this crazy plan of Jerem?s went as planned. Jerem had returned with the idea of creating a pleasant atmosphere

22. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    =D= Great update - loved it! =D=

Qui-Gon stared at the fragrant food. Tatoe crisps. A dish of spiced nerf meat in a tangy sauce. Jilli noodles and cheese. He glanced into the kitchen. Uh-oh. Choca cake and a container of Alderaanian ice softening on the counter. The meal was oddly themed, united by one feature?these were his favorite foods. This was not a casual dinner shared by a master and padawan. This was a last meal for the condemned.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can't believe I missed this before! :oops:

Please PM me with future updates.

=D=

24. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    This was not a casual dinner shared by a master and padawan. This was a last meal for the condemned.

Very funny. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Can't wait to see what happens next.

25. JazzFox

JazzFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2006
    lol! Nice update! This was soooo funny, and I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the story. Thanks for the pm! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.