main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Runes of LIfe, Runes of Death ~ Update June 24, 2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Maeti, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maeti

Maeti Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2007
    Title: Runes of life, Runes of Death
    Author: maeti
    Characters Qui-Gon, OC's
    Timeframe: Pre-Obi-Wan.
    A/N: Appreciation to someone who a love of archeology for this idea.

Runes of LIfe, Runes of Death

Qui-Gon Jinn looked idly through the messages he had missed during his extended absence from Coruscant. There were, of course, the usual endless and rather boring policies that he found often making their way into being part of the code within a very short time. There were the more critical, but sometimes also mindless developments that the Republic had put into place that he knew he would have to fathom the result of and how it affected the individual citizen of the galaxy. He made a notation to the record to make those items available, in his personal file, during his scheduled documentation worktime.

Fewer but more precious were the notices from friends, especially his first Padawan-made-Knight. The young Tionnese Valraith Pau had been a steady and studious apprentice, and had managed to accomplish the feat of being knighted at the ripe age of 19, just a few months past his birthday. He had now been on his own for a few years, and Qui-Gon was wondering when he might be thinking of taking his own padawan. It was a strange thought, becoming a Grand-Master, at a time many men in other walks of life were just thinking of fatherhood.

Qui-Gon smiled at the humorous telling of Val's 'magnificent' exploits and sent a brief answer, teasing that the Knight would have to come back to the Temple for further training in humility. It had been a long standing joke between them, both accusing the other of an ego to big for their rather considerable boots.

He was about to log out of the holonet system when two other messages appeared in respective slots, one from the council, bearing that unmistakable digital seal which indicated he was going to be assigned another mission. He sighed, knowing he had requested sometime on Coruscant. Soon enough, he knew he would always be glad of some other place for adventure and the sheer wonder of being able to served the force, but even he wanted just a little downtime on occassion.

He glanced at the next message and noticed it was from an old acquaintance, a man named Collum Shae. He knew Professor Shae and his family through Master Dooku, and while he occasionally heard from his son Mehaim, he couldn't fathom why the man would be contacting him. Professor Shae had never seemed to pay him much mind as a young man, preferring to discuss with Master Dooku their common bond of being from Serrano. That had been fine with Qui-Gon, as it gave him the needed experiences of joining in with Mehaim and his friends on their adventures. and out from under the direct and constant gaze of Master Dooku.

Mehaim was now working on Coruscant at the University. They were able to get together when Qui-Gon was planet-side. Mehaim was responsible for some of those moments that other young in the galaxy could indulge in, if they were not attached to the Jedi Temple. There were still things he had never told his Master that they did when they were together.

It remained that it was strange that the good Professor was sending a message to someone Qui-Gon honestly couldn't remember him talking to above the necessary communication for

Qui-Gon turned off the commstation to head to his meeting with the council. He didn't have time for the puzzle now, it would have to wait until he answered the council summons.

He found himself on transport to Ondoron within hours, confused at how unclear the council had been about what his exact mission was. Their assumption seemed to be that he already knew what it was. They had given him the necessary datacards, and he relaxed into a chair to read through the material. Hopefully it would give him an idea who he was to meet and what this was about.

He bolted up out of his seat when the name of Professor Shae was listed as his contact. The other information was cryptic at best. It seemed that there we

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Good start! =D=

3. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    He bolted up out of his seat when the name of Professor Shae was listed as his contact.

Well, you should have read your messages then, hmm? :p

Qui-Gon disembarked from the ship, and sighed as he surveyed the protected city of Iziz.

Interesting. Have you played KOTOR II Maeti? Or is there some EU book that I've never heard of that delves into Ondoron?

he was not a man that subscribed to the idea that there were a dark or light side to anything.

Well then he's a fool.

he had seemingly gone further into his studies of the Sith, and would not be convinced that there was true evil.

And he's a man well on his way toward the Dark Side.

"Not now Jedi," Professor Shae hissed

Qui-Gon should be very worried by this guy's behavior.

I like what you've got going there and looking forward to more. :)

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Good story you have going on. I like to see what's next and you can put me on your PM list

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Ooohhh very intriguing beginning.

It seems as if Qui-Gon has been drawn into quite the mystery.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    I found this and I had to restart many, many times.

7. Maeti

Maeti Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2007
    So many kind replies!

VaderLVR64: Thank you! My hope is that it will continue to be readable!

BrentusofGath No I haven't played KOTOR. I found this information on some website and found it fascinating, and I even think I would like to see the story written in full sometime.

Yes Qui-Gon should pick up his mail more often! Yes I think anyone that discounts that there is good and evil are missing the point.

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you. I will!

Kelia: Yes there does seem to be a bit of a mystery!

Araxie: [/b} You had to read it over and over? Oh dear! I hope that isn't a bad thing :eek:

The next post will be up tomorrow! Sorry this has taken me so long, but real life has sort of taken over at times!

~Maeti

8. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    I guess I didn't make myself clear, that could have sounded really, really bad!!!!!!![face_blush]

I kept getting interrupted while reading so I had to come back when all was quiet.

9. Maeti

Maeti Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2007
    Qui-Gon was deep in thought, wandering over the memories of the rather uncomfortable dinner, when his thoughts were interrupted by Mairin.

"Did anyone think to get you settled in some quarters?" She was busy working to clear aways the food. Dr.Shae had abruptly left during the middle of the meal, and the others had wandered off, without so much as an afterthought of putting their own utensils away.Mairin had been surprised by his help, but then had lapsed into her own silent thoughts.

"No. If you will tell me where would be the most convenient, I will finish up here and get settled in." He took the stack of plates from her hands, to reach up and put them away where she had been reaching.

She let out a shy giggle and then sobered. "Father didn't tell me you were coming. I would have had the room ready otherwise. I don't even have the linens on the sleep couch."

He laughed, "I can make my own place to sleep, Mairin."

She sighed and then turned to put her towel away.

Qui-Gon gently reached for her wrist, "Mairin why is there so much fear here?"

"I don't know. It was this way when I arrived from Serenno. Father is more taciturn than ever, not that I didn't expect that given all the trouble I have caused, but It is more than that."

"Trouble?" Qui-Gon doubted it had the trouble had anything specific to his mission, but he remembered the little girl with the blond braids, hiding up in trees where she could read quietly on her own. He had always liked her, even though there was little in common between them then. There was still so much of that child in her, even to the cameo she wore on anaurodium chain. Without thinking he reached out to touch it.

He started as he realized there was a unique signature to the necklace, the buzz of a tiny vibration surprising him. "Mairin, what is this necklace?"

She backed away from him, her face flushing, "I don't know, I have had it since I was a child."

"Would you mind if I look at it closer?" He asked, wondering why it should cause her such distress.

"I can't." Mairin turned away abruptly to walk down the hall and she opened the door to a closet, where she began to rummage for linen.

Well he had accomplished one thing; Mairin's fear now seemed to match that of the men.

_____

Qui-Gon waited until he heard the others go to their separate rooms. Reaching out he ensured he could feel the minds of the others in slumber. He would have to be quiet, because while they were sleeping, their rest seemed fitful and worried. He slipped from his room, reaching out with the force to verify that he was alone.

He wasn't sure what he was looking for, but he was positive there had to be some clues to why he had been called. Certainly it was strange that now he was here, Dr. Shae seemed less than willing to talk, although he had been the one to actively send for a Jedi. He was also unsure as to whether Mairin's discomfort had to do with the mystery, or if there was one of her own. Certainly she had been distressed, but if he were to name the feeling she projected clearly, shame would be it.

It didn't make sense however. There was no reason a girl, just on the threshold of life, should feel that way.

He reminded himself that his mission didn't include solving the insecurities of his friend's sister.

Quietly he headed for the professor's office, assuming that since he and the others closed themselves in the room, that his answers would begin there. The door of course was locked, but a quick flick of the force neatly took care of that issue.

The customary crates and boxes and assorted equipment was present. He glanced through, finding the odd bits of pottery, weaponry and other remnants of people long gone. Nothing looked or felt untoward in the crates. It all seemed the standard finds anyone could expect at a dig.

He moved to the desk, the feeling that something wasn't right, niggling at his mind. There were various datacards, but a quick check in his own datapad revealed there was nothing but sales invoices and other such documentation. There wa

10. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    He laughed, "I can make my own place to sleep, Mairin."

I'll bet he can. Right next to her. ;)

"I can't." Mairin turned away abruptly to walk down the hall and she opened the door to a closet, where she began to rummage for linen.

[face_thinking] Interesting. Is it one of those 'necklace that doesn't come off in some kind of weird, dark alternate world' type thing?

Well he had accomplished one thing; Mairin's fear now seemed to match that of the men.

LOL! All hail Jinn, the master at turning people paranoid. :p

"That is none of your concern. Keep yourself busy practicing your witching ways, but stay out of my affairs, girl. Until I can arrange for another marriage for you, the only things that concern you are to keep my house, and to mind your business."

He's a real charmer, isn't he?

You have no value to anyone beyond what I can get for a bride price for you, if you will manage not to give away your shame to the next groom, as you did the last one. There is a difference between a Jedi and a witch.

Such a happy family.

Ok, now I'm really curious as to what's going on here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.