main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Any Man's Thrall (Qui, Obi, Xan, Granta, OC's, AU ) ~~Updated 7/31~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Title: Any Man's Thrall
    Author: Layren
    Summary: Two brothers learn the hard way that things are never as they seem.
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Xanatos, OC's
    Disclaimer: The canon characters don't belong to me. No money has been made off this story, everything belongs to the Almighty Flanneled One. Please ask me before borrowing the original characters.
    Author's Note: It's been so long since I've written anything solo, that I decided to try my hand at it again. This story's been on the back burner for a bit and I decided to dust it off and see about writing it. It's been so long since I've written a short story and I'm trying to reach my new year's resolution goal of writing a story by myself instead of taking comfort in yet another collaboration :) I hope you enjoy this story :) Thanks goes to DarthIshtar for the title.

He wasn't supposed to be there.

Neither of them were really, but they were anyway.

Their father had assumed each of them was long asleep, but neither Kyran nor Qui-Gon had been. When Qui-Gon heard the front door swish open, he had awakened Kyran and they both sneaked to the landing of the stairs to see this new visitor.

There had been a lot of visitors in the past several days since their mother had passed away.

Qui-Gon had a feeling things were going to be different this time. This was not a social visit. He didn't know how he knew, but he knew. He could often tell things about people and just by looking at the stranger he knew something was amiss.

The visitor's attire was unusual, for one thing.

Nobody he knew dressed like this. The stranger was wearing a brown robe, light beige tunics and black pants and boots that came up to mid-calf.

He felt Kyran tense next to him. "What's the matter?"

"He's a Jedi Knight," Kyran whispered back.

Qui-Gon looked at the visitor again. "How do you know?"

"His lightsaber's on his belt on the right side," Kyran replied.

Qui-Gon studied the stranger more carefully and sure enough he could see the gleaming cylinder at the man's hip. "What do you think he's doing here?" he wondered aloud.

Kyran opened his mouth to reply, but his father began to speak so he remained silent and put his finger to his lips.

"So you have finally arrived. Was your journey comfortable?" Their father?s rich bass was almost unnaturally loud in the silence.

"Fairly," the Jedi replied, elegance was in his words, each one sounding crisp and precise. He was the epitome of grace and refinement, a far cry from anything they were used to. "Where are the children you spoke to me of?"

"In bed asleep," was the dry response. "Would you like me to wake them so you can take them with you?"

"That won't be necessary. We can wait to test them until morning."

There was a pause and they heard their father's voice again, closer now as the stairs creaked, indicating the men were now on their way up. "I'll show you to your room. This way please."

Quicker than lightening the boys soundlessly dashed back to bed and curled under their blankets.

"Ky?I'm scared," Qui-Gon curled up close to his older brother.

"Don't be scared," Kyran held him tightly. "I'll take care of you, don?t worry."

"But what sort of test did he mean? Why does the Jedi want to test us?" he wondered, frightened.

"They probably want to see if we can both be Jedi," Kyran said, stroking his brother's chestnut hair. "That's probably all it is. There's nothing to be scared of."

"Are you sure?" Qui-Gon asked, whimpering a little.

"Very sure," Kyran soothed, rubbing the little one's back now comfortingly.

There was silence between them for a few minutes and Qui-Gon sniffled slightly. "Ky?"

"Hrm?"

There was a long pause before Qui-Gon said, "I miss mama."

Kyran's own heart ached at the remembrance of loss and he hugged his little brother even tighter, burying his face in the long chestnut locks of his hair. "I know. I do too."

"Do you think she's happy with the gods now?" he asked

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sweet and suspenseful so far.

3. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Very cool. I could almost hear Liam Neeson saying some of those lines.

4. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Nicely done. Great hints at mixed things to come.

Like the title! :cool:

5. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Aw, lovely, but so sad! :_|

You have to pm me when you update! [face_batting]

Edit: love the colors Layren, but I keep confusing you and Leona! 8-} ;)

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is so good!!! Poor Qui-Gon [face_love]

Is this the same Kyran from your other story?

And if you add me to the PM list, I promise not to get lost this time [face_batting]

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was sweet up to the last sentence then it turned ominous. Oh dear. I wonder which one the Jedi would take.

Good job. It's always good to try your wings with new things. PM with updates please.

8. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Ominus...
    I can't wait to see where this will go especially since you
    have my 3 favoirte guys listed as characters, interesting havingQui go to the temple later than other children, how old would he be?
    and his brother?

Add to your PM list... I am not missing a chapter of this!

9. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Well done, Layren!
    I liked the ending, great sense of foreboding there.

Bravo! =D=

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah...but somehow, I giggle at Qui-Gon sniffling and all - I just can't imagine that big ol' guy that young. :oops:

11. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Wow, this looks fascinating. Sucked me in right at the beginning and wouldn't let me go. PM list, please?

12. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...what a sweet beginning. I loved Kyran comforting Qui-Gon with words and a song

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

How very sad Qui will now face leaving his father and brother so soon after his mother's death

:_| :_|:_|

If you have a PM list for this, please add me? [face_praying]

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

13. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    This is so cool! :cool: The interaction between Kyran and Qui-Gon was so touching. Wonderful beginning and I can't wair for more. Could I be added to your PM list?

14. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    =D= A great beginning! I loved the interaction between Qui and Kyran - very sweet and sad. That last sentence makes me nervous though. [face_worried]

I want to see where you go with this. Could you add me to the PM list please? :)

15. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Aw Qui-Gon is so cute in this! I just wanna put him in a cage and feed him cookies *blink*

Um...yeah? *blink* I am crazy, I know.

Love the start of this cannot wait for more~!

16. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    DarthIshtar Thanks :) Glad you think so.

jedimasterbac Thank you so much! That's such a true compliment!

Ara-gon Glad you did and it does hint but not give away totally ;)

Kestrel_Kenobi It was very bittersweet, for both of them. I'm glad you liked it :) I'll be happy to PM you :)

NYCitygurl Yep, same Kyran, but obviously in a different setting this time :D I like to recycle OC's :p I have fun with them just as much as canon characters in putting them in new situations. I'll be happy to add you to the list :D

Dianethx You'll just have to wait and see ;) You've been added :D

ClaudiaR Actually I think Jedi take children even when they're a little older so long as they don't go past a certain age and here Qui-Gon is three years old. Thanks for reading! You've been added :)

oqidaun Thanks! A little angst and worry is good for the soul [face_batting]

Valairy_Scot He's just a kid! :p Any little kid would cry in a situation like that ;)

SakuraTsukikage Wow, I'm so very glad! Here's hoping the rest of the story does the same thing :D Added you to my list :)

Kelia It truly is heartbreaking that he has to face it so soon, but better sooner than when he's older as worse things could've happened as you'll eventually see. Thanks for reading, you've been added!

jedidas3 Very glad you enjoyed it! Of course you can :D

Nienna Now just why would that make you nervous? I just have no idea! [face_batting]

Ganki He likely would object to the cage part but he'd be happy with the cookies ;) Here's more!

Sorry it took me so long to update, I'm so out of practice in writing solo it was like pulling teeth to get this chapter out. Hopefully once I get my groove back, it won't take so long between updates. Sorry it's not very long, but I figured I had best go ahead and get an update out rather than keeping you all waiting :) Thanks for reading!

Forty years had passed since he had last heard his brother?s song. Qui-Gon didn?t know why he was dreaming about his brother now. It left him unsettled, these dreams. He needed something to soothe him and calm his emotions, perhaps a mug of hot herbal tea would be just what he needed.

He slid out of bed and stood, pulling on his robe to go to the kitchenette to make his drink. He busied himself on the stove fetching the silver kettle and filling it with hot water and the tea leaves. He inhaled the leaves. The aroma that hit his nostrils was instantly healing to his mind. He glanced at the package. This particular brand was a Nubian herb blend. It smelled like a garden in a cup.

It did not take long and soon his tea was ready. He poured himself a mug and decided to go sit on his balcony for awhile.

On his way there however, he paused at Obi-Wan?s door. He had left his door slightly cracked, he realized. The Master shook his head and decided to close it for him. The door slid open the rest of the way at his approach. He stood there, framed in the doorway, watching the boy sleep.

One of his arms was hanging off the small sleep couch, the other, tucked under his chin. His legs were hanging off at odd angles. Curled up in his arms was a ratty looking pillow that Obi-Wan had obviously had for a very long time. Either that or just loved to death, Qui-Gon mused fondly. The boy?s blankets had slipped off in his struggle to get comfortable. Qui-Gon placed his tea mug on shelf and carefully crept through the room to straighten the covers for him. His hand gently brushed the boy?s slim braid on his right ear.

Padawan?

The word filled him with warmth as he gently fingered the beads on the boy?s braid. Yet it also rocked his foundations off their center. He had been entrusted with another soul to teach, love and protect when he had sworn never to again.

He swallowed hard at that thought, but despite his uncertainty, never had things felt so right and complete in his life.

Obi-Wan was meant to be his apprentice.

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was sweet. I liked how it was a gift from his brother and now he was giving it to someone he cared about.

Lovely!

18. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    omg, the mush! gotta de-lurk for mush!!

Padawan...

The word filled him with warmth as he gently fingered the beads on the boy's braid.

and

He had been entrusted with another soul to teach, love and protect ...

That really goes straight to the heart of it. Just beautiful.

I know that the gift of the River Stone is a now beloved and well-polished theme throughout SW fiction (as it well deserves to be). Your take on it is simply lovely. The braid of golden hair is such a beautiful symbolic touch, since gold represents the inner divinity and power of the soul ... especially when it appears in conjunction with something that came out of water. (See myth of Iron John, especially as interpreted by Robert Bly).

I'm thinking there's a story in that braid, as well....

Please continue, and please PM me when you do. :)

19. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    I've just decided to start reading fanfics again and the first thing I come across is this?
    How lucky can one be?
    This is brilliant, Layren! :D
    Will you, pretty please, let me know of updates?? [face_praying]

20. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Thnx 4 the PM

Jedi getting children a little older does make sense, especially since it would be expected that the different races all had different life expectancies and so aged and matured diffrently...
    It could also explain why Xani would remember his prevous life!

The scene at night in their quarters was very cute, I loved how Qui was thinking about OBi and listening sooner!
    her really should have!!! And I also thought it was very touching how you described him wondering about what gift to give, and what it should simbolize, the fact it was the gift his brother gave him amkes it even more touching than being simply a rock he found and loved.

This was a very sweet chapter, and from it one cannot tell you ever struggled with it! I wish you luck and inspiration on returning to work alone!

21. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...I love all the mush mixed in with the sad memories.

How wonderful and fitting for Qui-Gon to give his precious stone to Obi-Wan.

I hope Obi will appreciate it.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Awww, that was so sweet!!! It's a lovely gift :)

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw, warm fuzzies all over. Beautiful.

24. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    That was so cute! Great update!! I loved how Qui kept checking on Obi and is giving him the gift of the rock. :)

25. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Qui-Gon placed his tea mug on shelf and carefully crept through the room to straighten the covers for him. His hand gently brushed the boy?s slim braid on his right ear.

Padawan?

The word filled him with warmth as he gently fingered the beads on the boy?s braid.

Aww! :D *heart melts*

I loved how you entwined Qui-Gon's memory of receiving the rock from his brother with this chapter and how he plans to pass it on to Obi-Wan. *content sigh* Qui-Gon's memory was particularly touching - his final goodbyes and the way he walked out with his head held high, just like his brother asked.

You've really captured Qui-Gon here, both young and old...er. ;) I can't wait for more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.