main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Headstrong - AU - Xan/Quinlan/Qui/Obi/Dooku -Update Dec.17th!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Itachi-Uchiha, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Title: Headstrong

Author: Itachi-Uchiha

Genre: AU

Characters: Xanatos Akshay - Quinlan Vos- Qui-Gon Jinn- Obi-Wan Kenobi- Count Dooku

Summary: Xanatos finds himself drawn to a troubled initiate.

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters and make no money from this story.

Author note: Some of you may have been reading this at another site, under a different title and author name. [face_shhh] I'm reposting it here in hopes of reviving my muse. There are already 35 chapters written although some will have to be edited.O:)

Back off I?ll take you on
    Headstrong to take on anyone
    I know that you are wrong
    Headstrong we?re Headstrong
    Back off I?ll take you on
    Headstrong to take on anyone
    I know that you are wrong and this is not where you belong.
    - Headstrong by Trapt

Prologue

Smoke from their burning ship hung in the air, the cloying gray tendrils seeping into his lungs and making it difficult to breathe. Squinting his eyes against the grit laden air that surrounded them, he cautiously peered over the pile of twisted metal that had once been their twin seat starship. It was unrecognizable now and served as a temporary hiding place until he could figure out what their next move would be.

Exhausted physically with his body screaming for water, Jedi Padawan Quinlan Vos ducked back behind the safety barrier before kneeling down beside the figure sprawled out on the ground. Golden eyes took a careful inventory of the unconscious man, the young padawan?s honey brown fingers tentatively lifting the bit of cloth that covered a wicked wound. A grimace twisted his handsome features, the yellow tattooing across his nose glowing in the predawn light as he noted the angry red skin around the ragged hole. His efforts to clean the wound and keep it that way had failed and infection was setting in.

A low guttural moan broke from his companion?s lips, the first sound issued in over an hour's time. Pressing his palm against the man?s cheek, Quinlan was flooded with concern as he felt the chapped hotness of the pale skin beneath his hand. Trembling fingers brushed a long lock of ebony hair away from the sleeping man?s eyes before he twisted around to grab the travel bag laying behind him. There wasn?t much water left in his canteen but he knew he needed to keep the fever down until help could arrive.

"Padawan?"

The whispered word had him spinning around. Bending down he found his mentor fighting to lift weighted eyelashes, the gleam of deep blue eyes glowing with an abnormal brightness in the gloomy light. The hand he slid beneath the Jedi Master?s neck was wrapped to the forearms with his trademark black material, as he gently propped the man?s head up and held the canteen against chapped lips.

"Drink, Master," he urged, a sigh of frustration following soon after when the precious liquid dribbled out of the corner of his master?s lips.

Setting his mentor?s head back down on the ground, Quinlan screwed the cap back on the bottle. "You have a fever, Master."

Trembling fingers weakly lifted to wrap in the front of Quinlan?s tunic before pulling him down. He had to strain to hear the words that spilled from the Jedi Master?s lips in a disjointed ramble.

"Danger. You must go. Leave. Find help. Head north to the warlords. Only hope."

Quinlan pulled back at the order, resistance immediately burning in his eyes. There was no way he was going to leave his wounded master behind and go off to find some outlaws that may or may not help them. Entwining his fingers with those that still clung to the front of his tunic, Quinlan pressed their now combined hands close to his racing heart.

"I won?t leave you, Master. My fate shall be the same as yours."

A derisive snort was his mentor?s reply as the injured man stared up at the sky overhead. "Impudent whelp. Wait until I get you back home."

"I

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Hrm, well I don't recognize the title or the author ;) But I'm really anxious to see where this goes. Quin/Xan is definitely an interesting pairing and one I've not seen before. Excellent work! If you're keeping a PM list, I want on it :D

3. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    "The Council will send help but not for at least forty-eight hours," Xanatos mused outloud. "Then again, once they realize it is us missing they might just look the other way." [face_laugh]

Oh my, Xanatos and Vos, what a pair. This could get really interesting. I have to wonder how the Council ever entrusted a padawan to Xanatos. It sounds like they have had quite a journey.

I don't like that they are in trouble, or that Xanatos is so hurt. Should I be worried? [face_worried] Probably a stupid question, of course I should be worried.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Great start! I also like the idea of Quinlan and Xanatos together.

Might I get PM updates?

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I really love this story. I'm so glad you're posting it here. It deserves a wide audience. I look forward to seeing where you go with it!

I especially liked how you introduced Xan and how much alike Xan and Quinlan are.

Great job.

6. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    I am also very interested in this fic,,,
    we know which pair of Jedi the counicl will send don't we?
    hehheh

Please send PMs for the updates!
    :D

7. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice beginning: a dire situation and a very interesting Master-padawan pair to cope with it!
    I´ll be looking forward to read your next update!:)

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice beginning.

I love seeing Xanatos as a Master with a padawan of his own, though I wish the circumstances were a bit better :p

Good for Quinlan for refusing to leave his Master to go for help. I hope, together, they will find it.

If you have a PM list for this please add me? [face_praying]

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Ah, Xanatos, I am so glad you are writing about Xanatos, and I hope Quinlan Vos's best friend is Obi-Wan.

May I be added to your PM list :D

10. Itachi-Uchiha

Jul 21, 2007
    Layren: Quin/Xan is definitely an interesting pairing and one I've not seen before.

Me either. Some wonderful friends thought up the idea in a chat one night and the rabid bunnies ran wild. Thanks for the reply. :)

Magier: I have to wonder how the Council ever entrusted a padawan to Xanatos. It sounds like they have had quite a journey.

You get to hear the whole story. Starting now. ;)

Leona: Great start! I also like the idea of Quinlan and Xanatos together.

They are an interesting combination. And two of my fave. [face_love]

Diane: I'm so glad you're posting it here. It deserves a wide audience.

[face_blush] Thanks. More then two is a bonus. [face_laugh]

ClaudiaR: we know which pair of Jedi the counicl will send don't we?

Perhaps. That will be a ways down the road however. [face_whistling]

Nimloth: Nice beginning: a dire situation and a very interesting Master-padawan pair to cope with it!
    I´ll be looking forward to read your next update!

Lucky for you there are already 35 chapters ready and waiting. :)

Kelia: Good for Quinlan for refusing to leave his Master to go for help.

You find out as this goes along that Quin has a mind of his own. Headstrong like his master. :D

Gkilkenny: Ah, Xanatos, I am so glad you are writing about Xanatos, and I hope Quinlan Vos's best friend is Obi-Wan.

Xan holds a special place in my heart. @};- And Obi will make his appearance in time.

author note: Thanks for giving this a shot. I do go back in time and fill in all of the blanks so the events surrounding the prologue will be in the future. Obi will make his entrance a few chapters in as well. [:D] For those who were reading it elsewhere, my OC has undergone a transformation.;) His first name comes from one of my fave NJO characters and his last from one of my favorite Bleach characters.

Chapter One - A Door Closes

He was alone in the room, just as he had been during most of his time as a Jedi. Forced to kneel on the cold hard marble of the intricate pattern in the center of the Council room floor. They didn?t care that he was beyond exhausted, weaving back and forth as he fought to keep himself from tumbling at their feet in a limp pile of black garments. The bright lights reflecting off the vehicles that buzzed outside the huge windows had him squinting his eyes.

Lowering his gaze it came to rest on the object that sat on the floor before him. He had spent hours crafting the silver cylinder, the gray durasteel now worn from constant contact with his hand. Even from this distance he could see the black scorch mark in the hilt from where a blaster bolt had slipped past his defenses. He?d decided to leave it as a reminder of his failure.

Failure. That word brought his thoughts careening back to the present and of the still figure who stood behind him. He could feel the accusing stare burning a hole in the back of his head as their bond briefly hummed with disappointment and hurt. Strong shields were abruptly slammed down, severing any lingering link between them. The sense of loss drove him forward, a hand forced to reach out and steady himself, keep him from falling face forward on the floor. For a brief instant he thought he felt an instinctive wave of worry from behind, but it vanished so quickly he decided he must have imagined it.

There were only three of the Council members present, the rest no doubt off on missions. He forced himself to straighten once again, his gaze briefly touching on each of theirs. His show of defiance did not go unnoticed, Master Yoda?s mouth creasing into severe lines of disapproval as the ancient master leaned forward.

?Grievous charges have been brought against you, Padawan Akshay. Anything to say in your defense do you??

?No, Master Yoda.? He bit back a smirk at their surprised reaction before continuing. ?Everything Master Qui-Gon has told you is true. I allowed my father to tempt me with

11. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Thanks for the PM!
    So we got as glimpse as to what happened after Telos and how Xani remained at the Temple.

I think you got the reactions down pretty well, Qui hopes to forgive and doesn't regret but can't quite do that yet. I wonder how this experience related tp his chosing of a padawan later, or even if he has chosen one already!

I hope Quin and Obi get along well when you introduce the other characters and rescue the poor team from the wilds!

12. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Very interesting. So this is what happens in the beginning.
    :cool:

Qui-Gon gets hurt easily doesn't he?:p

Thanks for the pm.:cool:

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Very masterful in how you portrayed everyone's feelings...you really felt the hurt and betrayal from Qui-Gon, how Xan understood the error of his ways and yet could be hurt by Qui-Gon's withdrawal.

Very, very well done.

14. Nimloth

Mar 10, 2007
    I´ve liked this scene very much. :)
    So much regret and sadness, and the undercurrents of love... It´s a pity that Qui-Gon and Xan are not able to rebuild their master-padawan relationship but, certainly, that adds to the tragic and moving side of the story! =D=

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    It certainly does deserve more than two!

Loved this. I was so happy that you showed how wounded Qui-Gon was by Xan's betrayal.

He could feel the accusing stare burning a hole in the back of his head as their bond briefly hummed with disappointment and hurt. Strong shields were abruptly slammed down, severing any lingering link between them. The sense of loss drove him forward, a hand forced to reach out and steady himself, keep him from falling face forward on the floor. For a brief instant he thought he felt an instinctive wave of worry from behind, but it vanished so quickly he decided he must have imagined it.

He didn't imagine it.

Great job. I loved that he came back with Qui-Gon and faced his mistakes. Now, he needs to heal again.

16. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    I can't say that I blame Qui-Gon for being hurt. It is good to see that Xanatos knows he screwed up. There is hope for him. I just wish Qui-Gon would give it more time before completely writing Xan off. :( I wonder who will be taking over Xan's training?

17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Eyes sliding shut, Xanatos bowed his head in acceptance of his mentor?s request. Even though he had expected such a response it still pained him to hear the words spoken aloud. They had been together for so long, Xanatos close to taking his Trials and being knighted when he?d allowed himself to be mislead and used. Although he understood Qui-Gon?s reasoning, a small childish voice buried deep inside still cried out in anger at the rejection.

Awwww, I understand both of their feeling in thisd. :( At least it does seem Qui-Gon isn't holding a grudge.

18. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Here's something I never thought I'd say: Poor Xanatos

:_| :_| :_| :_|

What a devastating experience he had.

I was impressed with his apology and it's too bad Qui-Gon couldn't have reconsidered.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

19. Itachi-Uchiha

Jul 21, 2007
    ClaudiaR: I wonder how this experience related tp his chosing of a padawan later, or even if he has chosen one already!

It will take Qui some time and he might need a nudge from an old friend when the time comes. [face_whistling]

Gkilkenny: Qui-Gon gets hurt easily doesn't he?

Just what I thought. :p Seriously though, he had every right to make the choice he did.

Valairy_Scot: Very masterful in how you portrayed everyone's feelings...

Qui-Gon has always been hard for me to write in the past but I think I?ve made my peace with him in this one and he turns out to play a very pivotal role. [face_batting]

Nimloth: It´s a pity that Qui-Gon and Xan are not able to rebuild their master-padawan relationship but, certainly, that adds to the tragic and moving side of the story!

Never say never. [face_shame_on_you] I?m glad you enjoyed this post.

Diane: I was so happy that you showed how wounded Qui-Gon was by Xan's betrayal.

You know how hard that was for me. ;)

Magier: I wonder who will be taking over Xan's training?

Mawhahahaha!!![face_devil]

Leona: At least it does seem Qui-Gon isn't holding a grudge.

You may like him in this story. :*

KELIA: I was impressed with his apology and it's too bad Qui-Gon couldn't have reconsidered.

I think there was just too much betrayal for them to continue as they were.:_| Don?t give up on them though.

Thanks for reading and replying everyone. [:D]

Chapter Two- Time to Reflect

Although he had protested vehemently, Xanatos had eventually given in to Master Okita?s demands and laid down on Ganner?s bed to rest. He?d only meant to close his eyes long enough for the Jedi Master to lose interest in him. Those few minutes had ended up stretching into fourteen hours of undisturbed slumber. When he had awaken it had taken several minutes for reality to set in, the mistakes he had made even more obvious now that he was a guest in another teams home.

Pushing the disquieting thoughts to the back of his mind for the time being, he had fled to the safety of the fresher and spent a long time soaking beneath jets of stinging hot water. By the time he had returned to the room wrapped in a large towel, a spare set of sleep pants and tunic had been set out on the bed for his use. Once dressed in the borrowed garments he had cautiously moved out into the now darkened living area and taken a seat on a large pillow positioned directly in front of the bay windows.

That had been well over an hour ago and he remained sitting cross legged as the lights shone upon the closed lids of his eyes. Meditation wouldn?t come, his mind too crowded with the events of the last few days especially the reminder of his former mentor?s look of utter betrayal. He had caused that expression by his actions and nothing he ever said or did could erase what had occurred on Telos. Only now, when it was too late, did the full magnitude of his choices and the fallout from them become clear.

?You look like you could use a drink.?

Ganner?s hushed voice interrupted his morose thoughts, a tanned arm holding a mug out toward him. Wrapping both hands around it in order to still their trembling, Xanatos took a cautious sip before grunting in surprised approval.

?This is quality stuff. Where did you get it??

Taking a seat on the floor with his back propped against the back of the couch, Ganner swirled the liquid around his own cup while shrugging. ?Master Okita picked it up on one of our last missions.?

They sat in silence for several minutes just drinking and staring out at the traffic. Eventually Ganner shifted to study his friend with dark green eyes that always seemed to see too much.

?Do you want to talk about what happened??

Xanatos tucked a still damp lock of hair behind his ear as he stared into the nearly empty mug. ?Not much to tell. I was an arrogant and greedy jerk as usual and betrayed my Jedi Master. He in turn has now disowned me and I awa

20. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Ganner sounds like a true friend something
    that Xanatos needs.[:D]

?I am going to focus on doing whatever the Council requires of me in order to redeem myself. I will be a Jedi Knight one day, Ganner.?

excellent update=D=

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Solemn eyes lifted to lock with Xanatos?. ?I am very disappointed in your actions and still unclear on how you could have made the choices you did. Regardless of that, you are my best friend and I know when you tell me you are remorseful, you mean it. What type of friend would I be if I rejected you just because you made a mistake??

Xanatos is lucky to have a friend like this.

Excellent post.

22. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm so glad to see Ganner stand by Xanatos. He needs all the support he can get.

I love that Xan is willing to do whatever it takes, however long it takes to regain his status as a Jedi.

Wonderful update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Xanatos tucked a still damp lock of hair behind his ear as he stared into the nearly empty mug. ?Not much to tell. I was an arrogant and greedy jerk as usual and betrayed my Jedi Master. He in turn has now disowned me and I await for some poor fool to step in and finish my training.?

?I guess my question should have been, why did you do it?? Ganner clarified, his gaze openly confused.

?Why do I do half of the things I know are wrong? There?s something deep inside that always assures me that everything will work out for the best. This was no different. I convinced myself that I was doing what was best for Telos while inside I knew full well that I was acting out of pure selfishness.? A heavy sigh as Xanatos set the now empty mug to the side of the pillow. ?I really screwed up this time, Ganner.?

Yep, pretty much describes it. At least, he knows that he did the wrong thing and he's willing to try and make it right.

Loved that Ganner was such a good friend, just when he needs one.

Great job. Love this story. Please PM me with updates

24. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Hm. I'm intrigued. Granted, I'm partly intrigued by the mention of Dooku in the thread title, but I also thought you did a very good job portraying Xanatos as someone who had done something he knew darned well was a bad idea and talked himself into it anyway because he wanted it. For some reason, even though this is how I usually get into trouble myself ;), I don't seem to see it show up frequently in other people's interpretations. I also like that you don't plan to make Qui-Gon out to be a villain over the separation, that the Council's discipline is stern but not treated as beyond reason, and that Ganner is indeed such a good friend.

I'll have to keep an eye on this one. :)

25. Nimloth

Mar 10, 2007
    I think I´m going to like a lot this Xanatos, but it´s difficult to understand so big a change after all the stuff of Telos...

?Not much to tell. I was an arrogant and greedy jerk as usual and betrayed my Jedi Master. He in turn has now disowned me and I await for some poor fool to step in and finish my training.?

That was the most concise, unadorned and self-deprecating confession ever![face_mischief]
    Very good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.