main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Padawan Chronicles [Obi-Wan, JA gang; series of one-shots; humor] - update 7/29!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Nienna_Narmolanya, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Title: The Padawan Chronicles (formerly 'A Tale of Two Padawans')
    Author: Nienna Narmolanya
    Genre: Humor, fluff, and all that good stuff
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Bant, Garen, Reeft, with occasional appearances by Qui-Gon, Tahl, Yoda, OC?s, etc.
    Timeframe: The exact time will vary with each vignette, but Obi-Wan and his friends will be either initiates or padawans.
    Summary: A series of vignettes focusing on young Obi-Wan and his friends and their bizarre, unpredictable adventures while growing up in the Jedi Temple. Jedi have to have their human moments too, after all.
    Disclaimer: Obi-Wan and his master belong to George Lucas; Bant, Garen and co. belong to Jude Watson; and any OC?s belong to me. I?m not making any money off of this.
    Notes: A big thank you to the ever-wonderful Kestrel_Kenobi for starting all of this by talking me into posting my Obi/Bant stuff and for providing me with random word prompts to help me think outside the box. [:D]

I?m planning to mostly write these as I go. Let me know if I should continue posting or not, all right?

>><><<

This one is a little longer than some of the others will be. It takes place before Obi-Wan becomes a padawan.

The Thinking Cap

?What is this stuff??

Obi-Wan jumped in surprise, a cloud of dust billowing up around him. Having left the door of the storage closet open for extra light, he hadn?t noticed anyone enter. Looking up, he met the large silver eyes of his friend Bant Eerin before following the Mon Calamari girl?s gaze into the box of assorted junk he was kneeling next to. Everything inside was coated with an ancient layer of dust; at the mere thought of it, his nose began to twitch.

?Well, er?I don?t know exactly,? he answered, peering into the box as if a creature might pop out and grab his nose. ?Master Nu just told me to sort through the stuff in this closet.? He gestured to the expansive shelves lining three walls of the cramped, dimly-lit room. ?And I have to organize it into those containers,? he added wearily, eyeing a looming stack of tubs near the door.

Bant gave the tubs a cursory glance then turned her eyes on him. ?In trouble again, are we??

?Well, maybe a little??

?Bruck again??

?Yeah.?

Sitting down on the opposite side of the box from Obi-Wan, Bant shook her head slightly even as her lips curved in a knowing smile. ?When are you going to learn to stop letting him bother you, Obi??

Obi-Wan didn?t answer for a moment, giving a tarnished metal object buried deep in the box a particularly vicious yank. ?I?ll stop when he does.?

Bant sighed in reply, settling herself into a more comfortable position and arranging her robes around her. ?What did he do?? she asked softly, and Obi-Wan met her eyes briefly before letting his own fall.

?It happened this morning when I was returning a stack of holos to the Archives. I?d cleaned out my room yesterday and found some that were due back months ago?? Catching Bant?s disproving expression, he hurried on before she could interrupt. ?I was walking over to Master Nu?s desk when Bruck jumped out from behind one of the holocases and pushed me?and all the holos went flying. I tackled him to the floor, and that?s when Master Nu came running over. She looked madder than a stampeding bantha and I guess it?s because some of the holos chipped when they hit the floor. She yelled at me to unpin Bruck, which I did, then went all out on me for ?disrupting and destroying her Archives.? She didn?t really wait to hear my side of the story because, well, I?ve never been in her good graces?? Obi-Wan trailed off and lowered his head, his cheeks flushed with anger at the injustice of it.

Bant was still watching him, obviously content to simply listen as she always did. Obi-Wan felt a surge of warmth toward the quiet, compassionate girl who had been his best friend since their early Crèche days.

?I think you can figure it out what happened from there,? he adde

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable. I loved the thinking cap for Yoda. For some reason, I can just picture him with it on.

Really cute. PM me with updates please.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice first post =D= and if you continue this will you sent me a PM.

4. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Hurray! So happy to see this up Nienna! I love this one it's so funny and touching...the thinking cap has me laughing everytime! ;)

Wonderful [:D] and you're more than welcome with those prompts (reaches for the tv guide ;) )

Don't forget to pm me with updates! :D

5. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    How adorable! Great job with this! Poor Obi, in trouble again! He needs a hug![:D] Please PM me with updates!

6. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    That was so funny and sweet and just all around fun to read! Great work, Nienna! I'm looking forward to more.

7. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    more I say, more!

lol, yeah it was good.

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Spinach bean balls and a polka dot thinking cap??

[face_sick] [face_sick] for the balls and [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] for picturing Yoda in the thinking cap!!

How very sweet of Bant to offer to help Obi-Wan clean the closet [face_love] [face_love]

Wonderful beginning. I look forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    dianethx - lol! Thanks! :D If any Jedi had a thinking cap, it would be Yoda. ;)

earlybird-obi-wan - I'm glad you liked it! And you've been added to the list. :)

Kes - [face_cowboy] LOL! Thanks for everything - including your reply! [:D]

jedidas3 - I get the feeling Obi-Wan's going to need lots of hugs before this is over, so feel free. :p Thanks for reading!

amidalachick - Glad you enjoyed it! :D Thanks!

JediKaren - :D Thank you! More is on the way.

KELIA - If only we could all have a friend like Bant. ;) Glad you liked it and thanks for reading!

Those of you who asked have been placed on the PM list. If you wish to be added or removed at any time, just let me know.

This viggie is significantly shorter than the last one because I adapted it from a drabble I wrote not long ago. Many of these are going to be adapted drabbles and therefore pretty short. I guess instead of calling them vignettes, a more accurate term would be 'snapshots.' [face_happy] I hope you enjoy!

[u][b]Boys[/b][/u]

Large water droplets battered against the viewport, running in thick streams down the transparisteel oval. Looking out over the rain-washed city, Bant released a heavy sigh. If only she could be out there playing in it instead of stuck inside the Temple creating figurines out of wooden sticks and cloth for the Crèche?s annual puppet show. But Master Hazen, the Crèche-master in charge of the littlest younglings, had asked her especially to make them, knowing the Mon Calamari girl?s love for art, and Bant had promised to have them ready by the end of the week. The end of the week happened to be the next day and she still had three puppets left to finish.

Thankfully Obi-Wan had offered to help.

Bending down until her nostrils practically brushed the table, Bant squeezed a tiny glob of glue onto a miniature Zabrak horn and lifted it with her fingertips. [i]Almost done with the hard part,[/i] she thought as she held the horn to the puppet?s head and gently pressed?

?Oww!?

Jerking at the unexpected exclamation, Bant cringed when the Zabrak?s horn slipped down into his eye. A string of curses soon followed the cry of pain and Bant whirled away from her work table. ?Obi-Wan Kenobi! Watch your language!?

?But it hurts!? The boy leaned against the table where he?d been constructing a puppet version of Master Yoda. Wincing, he sucked on the end of his forefinger.

Laying her figurine on the table behind her, Bant moved to his side to examine the wound, on the way grabbing a disposable towel from the dispenser on the wall to use to stop the flow of any blood. She was well-versed in how to care for multiple types of minor injuries. Having Obi-Wan as a friend for most of her life had taught her many skills beyond those of a typical padawan learner, with an emphasis on the healing arts.

When she approached his table, she couldn?t help but notice that his Yoda puppet more closely resembled a grouchy cave troll than the ancient Jedi master. She chose not to think about that at the moment. ?Okay, what hurts?? she asked, taking his wrist and gently prying the wounded finger from his mouth while readying the towel.

?I got a splinter.?

Bant blinked and glanced down at her friend?s hand, the towel frozen in mid-air. ?A splinter??

Pulling his hand out of her grasp, Obi-Wan glowered at her disbelieving expression. ?It hurts!?

Bant blinked again.

?Why are you staring at me like that? It really hurts!?

For the second time in five minutes, Bant sighed deeply.

[i]Boys.[/i]

>><><<

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    LOL. Boys can be so rough-and-tumble and then complain about a splinter. Very cute. At least Bant knows some first aid. She needs it with Obi around.

Good job.

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it Obi-Wan young as he is and already a healer's disaster, and trying to make a Yoda puppet[face_laugh]

12. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Loved it. So cute! Aw, poor Obi-Wan...lol

When she approached his table, she couldn?t help but notice that his Yoda puppet more closely resembled a grouchy cave troll than the ancient Jedi master.

:D guess his creative skills aren't too good either! lol...

Wonderful =D= ...keep them coming!

[:D]

13. JediKaren

Apr 26, 2007
    lol yep, that's boys for ya. Keep them coming. You're doing great!

14. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?I got a splinter.?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

All that fuss for a splinter? Obi, Obi, Obi

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Well at least Bant has all that knowledge in healing minor wounds :p

Great update

=D==D= =D= =D=

15. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    [face_laugh] Having three boys myself, I completely understand where she is coming from! Wonderful update! I have always loved the friendship between Bant and Obi-Wan and you are doing such a great job portraying it. Great job and I can't wait for more! =D=

16. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Awww, these are so cute! I love how the Yoda puppet looks like a cave troll, haha.

Please add me to the PM list?

Keep up the good work! :D

17. DarthJishyWishy

DarthJishyWishy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2007
    LOL
    add me to the pm list.

18. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    [face_laugh] All that for a splinter, eh?

I like the idea of little Jedi puppets. Another great viggie! =D=

19. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Author's Note: I was hoping to post a new viggie every Saturday, but as you can see Saturday has come and gone...and no viggie. I started back to school this week and I'm already swamped with homework. (That's what I get for taking calculus, economics, Honors English, and physics in the same semester.) :oops: I know what I'm going to do with the next installment; I just haven't had time to write it. I hope to have it up in the next few days. :) Sorry for the delay!

Before I dive into my calc homework, why don't I procrastinate just a bit more and do some replies? [face_whistling] ;)

dianethx - Job title: Friend of Obi-Wan - first aid experience required. :p Thanks for reading!

earlybird-obi-wan - ...and already a healer's disaster lol! Poor Obi. Some of us are just a little more accident-prone than others. Some a lot. ;) Thanks for reading!

Kes - lol. We can't all be artists. :p Thank you!

JediKaren - Glad you're enjoying them! :) The next one should be coming soon...I hope. [face_worried]

KELIA - Boys will be boys, you know. They could get knocked in the head with a soccer ball and walk away unfazed, but when it comes to the little hurts... ;)

jedidas - Thank you! [face_blush] :D Three boys? Oh my... :p

snowspeeder_gunner - Thanks for reading! You've been added to the list. :)

DarthJishyWishy - Glad you liked it! :) And I've added you to the list.

amidalachick - lol. Splinters can be rather painful. We've give him that. :p Thanks for reading!

20. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    *rushes in out of breath, sunglasses dangling from one ear* Two weeks after I intended to post a new update...it's here! This one began life as a drabble, but when I started tweaking it, strange things happened. :p I had particular fun with this one. I hope you enjoy!

This is the Evening Edition?

Cradling his head in his hands, Obi-Wan stared down at the watery heap of steamed vegetables and cream sauce the cook-droid slopped onto his tray fifteen minutes ago. The meal would be cold by now, Obi-Wan realized, but he couldn?t bring himself to care. His stomach was churning too violently to accept food.

?I?m doomed,? he moaned, sliding his hands over his eyes.

Garen Muln, sitting to Obi-Wan?s left, spoke up immediately. ?He?s right. He?s doomed.?

?Garen, you?re not helping,? came a soft familiar voice from across the table, and Obi-Wan could easily envision the annoyed look Bant was giving Garen. A gentle pat on his arm urged him to surface, and he lifted his head to meet the Mon Calamari girl?s silver eyes. ?Obi, please don?t say that. You?re not doomed.?

?No, only destined for a grim and unavoidable death by embarrassment,? Garen interjected with a wry grin and this time Obi-Wan didn?t have to imagine the glare Bant shot his way.

Turning back Obi-Wan, she patted his arm again to regain his attention. ?Just think, in less than an hour it?ll all be over and you won?t have to worry anymore.?

?But why did Master Fitz have to pick me?? Obi-Wan?s eyes found his tray again. ?Out of all my clanmates, why me??

Garen swallowed a bite of the vegetable medley. ?Because you?ve blown up his lab equipment during class one too many times??

?Oh shush, Garen!? Bant admonished. ?And you too, Reeft!?

Reeft, who?d so far been content to listen and eat his dinner, stopped laughing instantly, his wrinkled face caught in a look of shock and embarrassment. Casting a nervous glance at Garen, he dropped his eyes to his tray and shoveled in another forkful of vegetables.

Sighing softly, Bant took a sip of her muja juice. ?It?s not punishment, Obi. Master Fitz is just giving you a chance for some hands on experience.?

?Yeah, well Master Fitz is fried,? Obi-Wan shot back.

?Well said!? Garen hissed in his ear as Reeft dissolved in a coughing fit over his last mouthful of greens.

Bant frowned. ?Don?t say that. He?s just??

?Ancient? Senile? Touched?? Garen was trying to suppress a grin but failing miserably at it, resulting in a half-pained expression.

Bant ignored him, obviously realizing that arguing with him wouldn?t help matters. ?If you want, Obi, I?ll go to Master Fitz?s office with you and wait for you.?

Obi-Wan nodded slowly, his stomach settling somewhat at the thought of not having to face his humiliation alone. ?Thanks, Bant. I??

?Why if it isn?t little Oafy-Wan and his girlfriend.? The sneering voice spoke from directly behind Obi-Wan, clear and distinct yet soft enough that the initiates and padawans dining in the vicinity wouldn?t overhear. His heart beating a little faster, Obi-Wan?s already unsettled stomach performed a somersault.

?What do you want, Bruck?? Garen asked softly. His voice was calm, but Obi-Wan sensed the boy?s body tense. Meeting Bant?s worried gaze, Obi-Wan drew in a breath and slowly twisted in his seat to face the ice blue eyes of his childhood nemesis.

Bruck smirked. ?I was just passing by and I thought I?d wish the best for my good buddy Oafy-Wan here tonight. I?ll be glued to the holovid set, waiting for him to trip over his own feet and make a fool of himself for all the Temple to see. Then maybe everybody will finally realize what a bantha-brain he is.?

?Take that back,? Garen growled, his eyes narrowing. Obi-Wan thought he heard Bant moan softly.

Eyes alight, Bruck laughed. ?Poor Oafy-Wan, hiding behind his friends again. A pity the masters didn?t see this. Well, I?d better go eat so I can be sure to get back to my room in time. I wouldn?t want to miss anything.? He held Obi-Wan?s gaze a few mo

21. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Kenooba, LOL!

Obi reading a weather report! So funny [face_laugh]!

I liked all of the descriptions of the old man, and Garen and Bant were hilarious.

Awesome job, keep it up!

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great vignette again with Obi-Wan reading the weather report and his friends supporting him=D=

23. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] How funny! I have to say it one more time--poor Obi! I just have to give him a hug! [:D] It's a good thing he has his friends. Wonderful update!

24. JediKaren

Apr 26, 2007
    *looks down and is forcefully quiet*
    *a smirk creeps up*
    * a small grin escapes her clamped lips*
    *she can feel it coming. She tries even hard to bite it down*
    ROTFLBO

25. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Oh my! Poor Obi-Wan - getting himself all worked up for a weather report!

I thought the dialogue between Obi and his friends was very well done. Grr, Bruck :mad: ...

Lovley Obi/Bant interaction as always :D ...

Kenooba! [face_laugh]

Well done m'dear! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.