main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Old Mistakes, New Beginnings (ROTS-ANH AU Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon, Luke)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lincoln_6_Echo, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lincoln_6_Echo

Lincoln_6_Echo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2006
    Title: Old Mistakes, New Beginnings
    Author: Lincoln_6_Echo
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon, Luke
    Summary: Something different happens at the end of ROTS. Anakin asks for Obi-Wan's help and is taken away from Mustafar before the emperor arrives...

Old Mistakes, New Beginnings

PART ONE

Mustafar

Obi-Wan deflected another of Anakin?s blows and realized with dismay that his former apprentice?s attack had had him back away so much he was now on the edge of the platform.

A step more, and he would fall in the river of lava that ran beneath them.

He looked around, searching for a way out and found it. He jumped toward the safety of a low cliff, just above the soft black sand of the riverbank.

?It's over, Anakin!? he exclaimed spreading his arms. ?I have the high ground.? Yes, Anakin, please stop here?Don?t make me kill you?

Anakin piloted the platform to the shore and growled, ?You underestimate my power!?

?Don't try it,? Obi-Wan said again, his voice full of desperation, but it was too late. Anakin leapt off the platform, aiming to land behind Obi-Wan's back? but the Jedi master was quicker. His lightsabre whirled and slashed, cutting off both Anakin?s legs and his left arm.

Anakin tumbled down the embankment and rolled to a stop near the edge of the lava river, clawing at the black sand with his mechanical arm in an attempt to escape the scorching heat.

Obi-Wan looked down, at his fallen friend, and let the pain in his heart burst free.

?You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would, destroy the Sith, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in Darkness!? he cried, as tears streaked his face. Why Anakin, why?

Then he bent and picked up Anakin's lightsabre and began to walk away. He stopped, looked back a last time and added, ?You were my brother, Anakin, I loved you!?

Below his feet, Anakin burst into flame. Obi-Wan lowered his eyes, not wanting to see as the red-yellow tongues devoured the flesh and the skin of the man who had been his closest friend.

He was about to take his first step to climb back toward the landing platform, when a wheezing sound stopped him.

?Help me? Obi-Wan?don?t leave? me?here?please??

Obi-Wan stopped as his heart, the heart he had thought broken beyond repair by Anakin?s betrayal, started beating faster with renewed hope. There had been something in that plea? a softness that had been missing from Anakin?s tone since he had become an adolescent.

Slowly, cautiously, almost afraid it would be a trick, Obi-Wan turned around. His heart constricted at the sight welcoming him. The flames had left Anakin?s body and face almost unrecognizable, the charred torso and head of what once had been a man.

Obi-Wan felt like throwing up at the sight, not because he was disgusted, but at the mere thought of how much Anakin must be suffering.

?Please?Master?? Anakin wheezed, raising his head and looking straight at Obi-Wan. His eyes were blue, with no hint of the yellow he had seen during their fight. They were clear despite the pain, and shining with tears.

?Help me? Obi-Wan?? Anakin whispered again and the Jedi Master made his decision.

He could not, would not leave a pleading man there. He would take Anakin with him, and help him in every way he could.

Obi-Wan stepped down the slope and knelt at Anakin?s side. The damage inflicted by the flames was even more terrible at close inspection and the smell of burned flesh caused his stomach to churn.

He reached out to take Anakin into his arms, but the poor man cried out in pain at the barest of contacts. Obi-Wan looked toward the landing platform and the sleek Nubian cruiser parked there. Maybe there was something he could use as a stretcher on board?

A glimpse of metal flashed through the sky, and Obi-Wan felt the darkness closing in around them both. He knew that ship: the Chan¬cellor's shuttle. Now, he supposed, the Emperor's shuttle. Yoda had failed. He might have died. He might have left O

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Please put me on the PM list! :D

He could sense in the Force why his presence had been requested.

Anakin was dying.

His life force was fading rapidly and the anguish Obi-Wan had felt returned tenfold. He tried to release it to the Force, but he failed.

He stepped near the operation table, and Anakin slowly turned his head to face him. The Jedi leant forward, bringing his ear close to the oxygen mask covering the dying man?s mouth.

?Master?? Anakin croaked as he tried to raise his mechanical arm to touch him.

Obi-Wan reached out with his own arm and took the durasteel hand in his own.

Anakin weakly squeezed his fingers. ?Forgive? me? Master?? he whispered, as the light began to fade from his blue eyes.

Obi-Wan took a harsh breath and nodded. Then, forcing the words past the lump in his throat, he voiced his forgiveness.

?Yes, Anakin, I forgive you. I- be at peace my friend? I will guard over your family.?

Anakin attempted a smile, then his eyes glazed, as his life force was extinguished.

Obi-Wan reached up with his free hand and closed his friend?s unseeing eyes.

He bowed his head in sadness, and did not let go of Anakin?s hand until Master Yoda came by his side and gently pried his fingers open.

?Returned to the Light, young Anakin did in the end. As a Jedi, he died. Peace in the Force he will find.?

You know, that would have been a kinder fate for Anakin. :_|

=D=

3. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    So the twins lost both parents... :( I think Anakin going this way was better for the children than what he had become. And easier for Obi-Wan to accept to, I think. :)

I'm interested to see where this goes! :)

Edit: Thanks for the PM! :D

4. Ascal_Elessar

Ascal_Elessar Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    Ooh, interesting start, please include me on the PM list for this one.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm curious to see where you go with this...nice start.

6. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    =D= Very interesting beginning! :)

Anakin attempted a smile, then his eyes glazed, as his life force was extinguished.

Obi-Wan reached up with his free hand and closed his friend?s unseeing eyes.

He bowed his head in sadness, and did not let go of Anakin?s hand until Master Yoda came by his side and gently pried his fingers open.

Anakin's death was really sad! :_|

Thank you, Master.

Obi-Wan?s eyes widened and he sat straighter on the chair. He could have sworn he had just heard Anakin?s voice?

Oh, that will be interesting!
    So, Obi-Wan will be able to hear/see not only Qui-Gon but also Anakin? [face_dancing]

May I ask for a PM when you update? [face_batting]

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ohhhh, how sad and yet I prefer an more compassionate Obi-Wan.

Might I also be added to the PM list?

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Anakin and Padme died?

:_| :_| :_| :_|

At least Anakin found his way back to the light first.

Please add me to your PM list for this.

Anxiously looking forward to more

=D==D= =D= =D=

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

So no Vader! Who is going to be Sidious apprentice?

Once again Obi-wan is left holding the baby.(my attempt at humour)8-}

Please add me to the PM list.=D=

10. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    PM list please. :)

11. Lincoln_6_Echo

Apr 11, 2006
    VaderLVR64

You know, that would have been a kinder fate for Anakin.

I know. :( His life as Vader was a living nightmare.

bek

So the twins lost both parents... I think Anakin going this way was better for the children than what he had become. And easier for Obi-Wan to accept to, I think.

I totally agree. I hope you will enjoy the story.

Ascal_Elessar , Valairy_Scot

THANK YOU!!

Fifilla

Oh, that will be interesting!
    So, Obi-Wan will be able to hear/see not only Qui-Gon but also Anakin?

I am happy you find this interesting! And yes, Obi-Wan will see Anakin too...

Healer_Leona

Ohhhh, how sad and yet I prefer an more compassionate Obi-Wan.

Me too. I still have to come to terms with Obi-Wan's behaviour on Mustafar. It is SO unlike him to leave Anakin like that...

KELIA

Anakin and Padme died?

At least Anakin found his way back to the light first.

Yes... and remember, there is no death, there is the Force!

Gkilkenny

Once again Obi-wan is left holding the baby.(my attempt at humour)

:D

Fat_Bird

PM list please.

Sure!

12. Lincoln_6_Echo

Apr 11, 2006

Obi-Wan looked around himself, pleased with the results of his handwork.

When he had discovered it, the hovel was in a terrible condition. Abandoned for years, it had been left at the mercy of the weather and the sand storms, but now Obi-Wan had breathed new life into it.

He had repaired the door and the roof, cleaned the floor, repainted the walls and bought some furniture to make it habitable.

It was just a small and humble place set in the Jungland Wastes, but it was perfect for him. It was within walking distance from the Lars homestead and the settlements of Mos Espa and Anchorhead, but isolated enough to ensure he would be left alone.

Smiling to himself, Obi-Wan walked outside to check that the vaporator he had traded with his eopie was working well, then returned inside and knelt down near his sleep cot.

He closed his and relaxed. He had not been in deep meditation since he had left for Utapau? how many days before? He could not even remember, so off-centred he was.

It was now the time to open himself to the Force and meditate on what had happened, no matter how difficult it would be.

So far Obi-Wan had kept his pain, his grief, his sense of guilt bottled inside. He had released his emotions only when they threatened to engulf him?but he had not let go of them.

Now?now it was the moment to try doing it, because only when he would find his peace again would he be able to commune with Qui-Gon.

There is no try, Master. To do or not to do, remember?

Obi-Wan gritted his teeth and squeezed his eyelids, as he cursed himself.

He was hearing Anakin?s voice again. As he had on the Tantive IV and during his journey to Tatooine.

He truly needed to meditate, because these hallucinations were beginning to worry him.

You aren?t hallucinating, Master. I am really talking to you. Reach out with your senses, and you will discover I am very close to you.

Obi-Wan was now sure he had heard a voice. Anakin was talking to him from the netherworld of the Force, as Qui-Gon had done with Yoda.

He stretched his perceptions and gasped in surprise. It felt like? Anakin was very near.

Because I am. I am kneeling in front of you. Open your eyes, Master, and you will see me.

Obi-Wan opened his eyes and stared in amazement. Anakin was indeed kneeling in front of him. His image was translucent, glowing and bluish around the edges, similar to a hologram projection. His body was whole again and he looked exactly how he had the day Obi-Wan had left for Utapau, the only difference being his right hand, which was flesh again.

?Anakin,? Obi-Wan murmured stunned, raising a trembling hand to touch a bluish shoulder. His fingers met only air and he retracted his arm sharply.

?How are you Anakin?? he then inquired, not the most brilliant of questions, but what do you ask a ghost?

?I am well, Master. The Force has given me the gift of retaining my consciousness after my death,? Anakin smiled gently.

?Like Qui-Gon??

?Yes. I have met him here, along with other Jedi. But he cannot appear to you as I do. He can only talk to you.?

?Because he is not the Chosen One?? Obi-Wan asked, as a part of his mind wondered at how normal his voice sounded. It was like he was used to have conversations with dead people?

?No. Because, because he is not powerful enough in the Unifying Force. Also, his training in the Ways of the Whills was not completed when he died. He is sure you and Master Yoda will be able to appear like me when your time comes.?

Obi-Wan nodded. It made sense. ?I would like that. It would allow me to keep on training and help Luke even after my death.?

Anakin smiled. ?That?s it, Master. But I hope that moment will come as late as possible.?

?You don?t want me there?? Obi-Wan tried to joke, although it sounded lame in his ears. ?Are you enjoying your freedom??

Anakin turned totally serious. ?I am enjoying my freedom, Master, but not from you. From greed. From ambition. From need. From my constant desire of having more. From most of the thing

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    He closed his and relaxed. He had not been in deep meditation since he had left for Utapau? how many days before? He could not even remember, so off-centred he was.

It was now the time to open himself to the Force and meditate on what had happened, no matter how difficult it would be.

So far Obi-Wan had kept his pain, his grief, his sense of guilt bottled inside. He had released his emotions only when they threatened to engulf him?but he had not let go of them.

Now?now it was the moment to try doing it, because only when he would find his peace again would he be able to commune with Qui-Gon.

There is no try, Master. To do or not to do, remember?

Obi-Wan gritted his teeth and squeezed his eyelids, as he cursed himself.

He was hearing Anakin?s voice again. As he had on the Tantive IV and during his journey to Tatooine.

He truly needed to meditate, because these hallucinations were beginning to worry him.

You aren?t hallucinating, Master. I am really talking to you. Reach out with your senses, and you will discover I am very close to you.

Obi-Wan was now sure he had heard a voice. Anakin was talking to him from the netherworld of the Force, as Qui-Gon had done with Yoda.

He stretched his perceptions and gasped in surprise. It felt like? Anakin was very near.

Because I am. I am kneeling in front of you. Open your eyes, Master, and you will see me.

Obi-Wan opened his eyes and stared in amazement. Anakin was indeed kneeling in front of him. His image was translucent, glowing and bluish around the edges, similar to a hologram projection. His body was whole again and he looked exactly how he had the day Obi-Wan had left for Utapau, the only difference being his right hand, which was flesh again.

?Anakin,? Obi-Wan murmured stunned, raising a trembling hand to touch a bluish shoulder. His fingers met only air and he retracted his arm sharply.

Ah, Anakin will help him heal, then Qui-Gon. I like this already - I'm curious to see how Anakin plays out now that he's free of all his crippling emotional needs.

14. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Oooh this is going to be very interesting [face_thinking] Obi Wan talking with both Qui Gon and Anakin? Palpatine is gonna be in trouble i think ;)

Please add me to ur pm list, i dont want to miss and update of this fic :D

15. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Lovely!

=D=

16. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Hmm...Anakin seems to have lost some of the bravvado he always had. Ah, well. Ghosts don't get to have everything!

Raptor517

17. timerift22

timerift22 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    please add me to the pm list

Snow

18. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Anakin has become wise since his voyage into the force. :) I think Obi-Wan is going to have a much happier exile than what Lucas gave him. ;)

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Anakin turned totally serious. ?I am enjoying my freedom, Master, but not from you. From greed. From ambition. From need. From my constant desire of having more. From most of the things that prevented me from becoming a good Jedi and led to my downfall.?

?Anakin?? Obi-Wan uttered, reaching out again to touch the translucent shoulder. ?I-I??

?Shhh, Master. I know you want to talk?and I know we must talk. But not now. You must meditate, and start unburdening your soul. Only then you will be able to commune with Qui-Gon and start your training.?

That is very sad, but lovely somehow. [face_love]

20. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    What a nice change for Obi-Wan to have Anakin talking to him with kindness and companionship.[face_peace]
    It will make Obi-Wans exile easier.=D=

?No. Because, because he is not powerful enough in the Unifying Force. Also, his training in the Ways of the Whills was not completed when he died. He is sure you and Master Yoda will be able to appear like me when your time comes.?

Obi-Wan nodded. It made sense. ?I would like that. It would allow me to keep on training and help Luke even after my death.?

Anakin smiled. ?That?s it, Master. But I hope that moment will come as late as possible.?

?You don?t want me there?? Obi-Wan tried to joke, although it sounded lame in his ears. ?Are you enjoying your freedom??

Anakin turned totally serious. ?I am enjoying my freedom, Master, but not from you. From greed. From ambition. From need. From my constant desire of having more. From most of the things that prevented me from becoming a good Jedi and led to my downfall.?

Obi-Wan still has a sense of humour.:cool:

21. JENNA

JENNA Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2005
    Wow. Just came across this story. Anakin and Padme both dead? What a twist... :eek: But at least Anakin and Obi-Wan can speak with each other... I'd hate to think Obi-Wan couldn't see or hear his former Padawan in his ghostly form. ;) I can't wait to read more!

22. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Thanks for the PM! :)

?How are you Anakin?? he then inquired, not the most brilliant of questions, but what do you ask a ghost?
    [face_laugh] Good one, Obi-Wan!

?Like Qui-Gon??

?Yes. I have met him here, along with other Jedi. But he cannot appear to you as I do. He can only talk to you.?

That's a bit sad, but at least they will be able to talk!

Very nice chapter, I hope, you update soon.

23. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I loved Anakin appearing to Obi-Wan to tell him what he needed to do, though it must have been a bit odd for Obi :p

I hope he will be able to clear his mind and focus like he needs to.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

24. Beta-Commando

Beta-Commando Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2007
    I love this story! :D

At first, I was thinking I might be reading about the 'White Vader Suit' from one of the Star Wars Infinites comics... Oh well, it's better this way. ;)

Add me to the PM List please. [face_prayer]

25. Ascal_Elessar

Ascal_Elessar Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    A touching reunion between Master and Apprentice, great job. Looking forward to more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.