main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends No Room for Doubt - Prequel Rewrite Challenge Entry - Obi-Wan, Dooku

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by UnderCoverJedi, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnderCoverJedi

UnderCoverJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2006
    Title: No Room for Doubt
    Author: UnderCoverJedi
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Dooku
    Timeframe: Immediately after Obi-Wan returns from Melida/Daan
    Written for the Prequel Rewrite Challenge #4
    Challenge Four: "It's a pity our paths have never crossed before now, Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon always spoke very highly of you."

No Room for Doubt

Obi-Wan Kenobi was struggling that day as he knelt in the Room of a Thousand Fountains. He battled his own insecurity and shame, his fierce desire to please the Master he had disappointed so recently, and his own soul-shattering doubts. It was a young man in crisis who happened to be kneeling by the small, calm pond of water, wishing desperately that everything would make sense again.

He was so wrapped up in his own misery that he did not sense the man?s presence until a deep voice interrupted his dark reverie. ?It does no good to dwell on these things overly much, you know.?

Startled, Obi-Wan turned and looked up. He recognized the man immediately, though they had never met. Dark eyes met his, one brow lifted sardonically as the man seemed to wait expectantly for Obi-Wan to speak. ?I?m sorry sir, what did you say?? He was just stalling for time and the other man shook his head disappointedly.

?Really now, Kenobi,? the man replied easily. ?Let?s not play games with each other.?

Stung, though he did not know why, Obi-Wan merely turned back to his useless contemplation of the water before him. ?I?m not very good company right now,? he murmured, hoping the man would get the hint and leave him alone.

To Obi-Wan?s surprise and chagrin, the man folded his long frame and sat down beside him, though he wondered if such elegant clothes really ought to be subjected to the damp ground. Such attire was unusual among the Temple denizens; it was just one more thing that set the man apart. Dooku, his Master?s Master. Qui-Gon was a living bond between them, yet they had never set eyes on each other. Suddenly, that struck Obi-Wan as quite strange.

Obi-Wan recalled old whispers, ancient rumors. Lorian Nod? It was a name he often heard linked to Dooku. There was some hint of scandal there, nothing that anyone would speak openly of around a Padawan in any case. ?I?ve been told that I?m never good company, my boy,? Dooku answered with a slight smile. ?I?m afraid you?ll not run me off that easily.?

Shrugging as if to say he could not stop the man from keeping him company, Obi-Wan picked up a small pebble and tossed it into the water, watching the ripples with unwarranted attention.

?I know what happened on Melida/Daan,? Dooku said, tugging up a blade of grass and rubbing it between his long fingers.

Obi-Wan stiffened in response. That should come as no surprise, of course. The whole Temple knew that Obi-Wan Kenobi had disobeyed his Master?s explicit orders and turned his back on the Jedi Order - only to come back, his head bowed in shame. ?I prefer not to discuss it,? Obi-Wan mumbled.

There was a short bark of laughter from Dooku. ?I?m sure you don?t,? the man agreed. ?But I wasn?t going to ask you to talk anyway. I?m just going to give you a bit of advice. You are the Padawan of my own Padawan?I feel as if I owe you this much at least.?

Turning to gaze at the man he had known only by reputation until now, Obi-Wan allowed his skepticism to seep into his expression. ?Why now? Why bother?? If the respect that was owed a Master was not in his voice, Dooku did not seem to notice or object.

?Why not?? Dooku countered. ?Besides, this might be my last chance,? he added enigmatically.

Obi-Wan turned back to the pond and picked up another pebble. ?All right then,? he said. ?Talk away.?

Dooku laughed more heartily this time, a big booming sound that seemed out of place in the quiet, contemplative atmosphere. ?You?re more like him than you realize,? he told Obi-Wan.

Since Obi-Wan considered that the highest compliment, Obi-Wan smiled. ?I don?t think that?s a good thing, you know,? Dooku continued. ?Not if you want to live comfortably in your Jedi skin.

2. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Nice job![:D] What a neat perspective in having Dooku talk to Obi-Wan after Melida/Daan. It was so interesting in how Dooku gave Obi-Wan hope. I liked this line:

Suddenly, there was hope for the future, a light that shone in the dim, dark distance. He would be patient; he would find his way there ? and show Qui-Gon the way as well.

Again, great job![face_dancing]

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Moved at author's request. [face_batting]

4. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    I commented elsewhere, but I just wanted to reiterate that you did a really good job and congratulate you on the win.

5. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Congrats on the colors! [:D]

I really liked the way you had Dooku and Obi-Wan interact in this piece. Obi-Wan's slightly defiant responses are perfect, especially given how uncertain he must feel. I loved Dooku's easy way with him, even if it is somewhat brusque. The last line was good way to end your bittersweet scene. Well done! :D

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Nice story.
    I loved your description of Dooku, as sardonic.=D=

7. UnderCoverJedi

Jul 19, 2006
    jedidas3 Thank you so much.

VaderLVR64 Thanks for the help.

Persephone_Kore My thanks.

The Musical Jedi Dooku is a fascinating character, I think.

Gkilkenny Thank you for reading.

8. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I read this a while back and didn't leave a comment. My bad.

I can see these two interacting that way.

Nice job! =D=

9. UnderCoverJedi

Jul 19, 2006
    VadersMistress Thank you. :)

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Well done indeed! =D= I enjoyed this little tidbit! You did an excellent job with Dooku. You should (if you haven't already) do more with him. [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.