main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Things Lost (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, OCs) (completed 22/12/07)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by moosemousse, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Title: Things Lost
    Author(s): moosemousse
    Timeframe: A few years before TPM
    Characters: Keyan D'Shan (OC), Kavra Than (OC), Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Genre: Mostly action with some romance
    Keywords: Dantooine, Sith, angst, OC
    Summary: Events lead D'Shan to reconsider his past and certain events that happened on Dantooine
    Notes: This started out as an OC challenge, the first part is the challenge response itself. One thing that came up was an incident on Dantooine, it's not really relevant to the first part but a few people were curious as to what happened, myself included. There's no particular posting pattern, but there will be another update between now and the 4th of November, the third will be on the 5th of November.

Deciding a tactical withdrawal would be the best course of action, D'Shan turned and ran. The abandoned hospital he was through was in a state of ruin and the corridor ahead was blocked by a collapse, the corridor to the right, however, was clear. His feet skidded through the dust on the floor but he kept his balance. Ahead was a doorway, both doors were intact and he crashed through to find a large and empty ward: a dead end. Just like that time on Dantooine, he thought to himself.

He pushed the thoughts aside as he turned went back out the doorway and a metallic clunking of footsteps greeted his ears. He swore and looked up at the ceiling. He reached out through the force and found a weak spot, exploiting it he caused a large section to collapse and block the hallway.

D'Shan went back into the empty ward and walked to the far end. His Jedi robes were in tatters and he tore them free leaving him in his undershirt and trousers. His Jedi belt was now a bit too loose and hung off his hips at an angle. He could hear the enemy blasting through the debris, he didn't have much time. His arm was bleeding again, his forearm and part of his right hand were already crusted with blood. D'Shan paid it no heed.

The doors burst open and the enemy walked through, an assassin droid of an old design. D'Shan fought droids before, more times than he cared to remember, and he had always made it through. The droid held it's blaster out in front with both hands as it advanced. D'Shan's sabre ignited with a snap-hiss filling the empty room with an orange glow. He began to run towards the droid, and the droid began running towards him.

D'Shan waited until the last moment before reversing his sabre and bringing it up, it cut the droids weapon in half and knocked the droid back. He reversed his sabre again and forced it through the droids chest, where a human would have its heart.

The droid looked at the hilt and then at the Jedi, and then it spoke. "Query: what did the Jedi hope to achieve? Possible answer: the previous model had a weakness that could be exploited by such a strike. Statement: This model does not." It pulled its arm back and hit the Jedi in the middle of the chest; a metallic taste flooded his mouth as he was knocked off his feet. He crashed to the floor and tumbled to a halt.

D'Shan spat blood out of his mouth and swore. He looked up at the advancing droid and watched as it deactivated the sabre. He was injured and without a weapon, he also knew he was outmatched in an unarmed fight. This is far too similar to that time on Dantooine, he thought morbidly. But then it wasn't quite the same, a flicker of hope shot through him as he saw the droid through his light sabre away and watched as it clattered over the dusty floor behind the droid.

He waited for the droid to get closer before making his move. He sprang to his feet and ran to the right of the droid. A push through the force knocked the droid to one side and he had a clear path to his sabre. The droid had barely enough time to recover its stance when D'Shan pulled through the force and brought his light sabre to his hand, and then he pulled the droid.

He ignited the blade of his laser sword and swung as the droid stumbled past. The body tumbled, clattering to the floor and the

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Interesting start and you can PM me when you update

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very intriguing beginning.

I'm glad to see D'Shan was able to survive his encounter with an HK model?

Please add me to your PM list.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It was an HK model droid, though it doesn't make much difference to the story as to what kind of droid it was. :)

[b]Part 2[/b]

D'Shan sat glaring at his light sabre as he levitated it just above his right hand. He had a face like thunder as he slowly rotated the weapon. He had not liked touching it since the droid had, it felt tainted somehow, unclean. He snatched it out of the air and clenched it tight in his fist.

Building up as much force energy is his hand as he could he slammed it into the plasteel floor. The floor buckled slightly and the sabre cracked and broke, though not completely. He picked up the wreck and twisted it, wrenching it this way and that until he could retrieve the crystal inside. It was still intact and he let his fingers caress the smoothness of each facet before stowing it in a pocket. He stood and went over to the door to his quarters, throwing his broken weapon over his shoulder and into his waste container as he left.

He stalked the corridors like a predator. He had been this way before, on more than a few occasions. It was a route he had committed to memory. Sighing, he stepped through the doorway as the doors opened in front of him. He removed his outer robes and hung them on a hook and looked around at the workshop in front of him. He was in the light sabre workshop, where the younglings built their first sabres and were seasoned Jedi built replacements.

D'Shan fingered the crystal in his pocket, at least it was one thing he wouldn't have to find, [i]unlike last time[/i], he thought bitterly. He was surprised at how often he thought about Dantooine, though it was many years past. He sighed and looked through the draws and racks, selecting parts that were essential and a few parts that were mere decoration. He carried them to a bench and began to assemble his new light sabre hilt.

It was a long process, but it was an easy one to him. He took his time, working slowly and but deliberately. A light sabre was a delicate instrument and not something you wanted to make a mistake with while making. After a while he snapped the last few pieces into place, the hilt was complete. It was a simple tube with a round pummel and a pointed emission ring that looked like a cone with the tip removed. Half of the hilt was ringed with dark orange rubber to act as a grip. He stood up and ignited the blade, the familiar orange glow lit up his features and his robes as he gave it a few trial spins to make sure the balancing was right.

D'Shan smiled as he deactivated it. He was pleased with his handy work. Hanging it from his belt he went over to his robes. He put them on and left the room.

Feeling in no particular hurry to get back to his quarters, D'Shan took a scenic route through the academy's gardens. The blossoms were in bloom and he lingered to enjoy the scent. [i[i]She would have enjoyed this[/i], he thought, [i]I'm sure of it[/i]. He hurried on not wishing to dwell too deeply on the past.

D'Shan arrived back at his quarters feeling too warm. He placed his light sabre on a rack on the wall and stripped off all but his undershirt and trousers. He sat on his bunk and lay back with his head cradled in his hands. He stared forlornly at the ceiling and sighed deeply. Memories were returning to him, memories he'd rather forget. He pushed them aside and went to the fresher to cool down.

He walked out of the fresher with a towel wrapped around his waist, rubbing his hair with another. He was just about to rummage in his wardrobe for fresh robes when his door chime sounded. He let the towel hang around his shoulders, tightened the one around his waist and went to answer it.

Qui-Gon Jinn was standing on the other side.

D'Shan looked at him suspiciously. "What can I do you for?" he asked.

"I thought I'd see how you are," replied Jinn, "I know you've been having trouble since . . ." He trailed off.

D'Shan nodded, "come in, I'll just be a minute." He stepped aside as Jinn entered. He grabbed some robes from his wardrobe and went into

5. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Oh, this is really sad. It's really good, too! Can I be added to the PM list; I can't wait to see where this goes.

Keep up the good work! :)

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice interaction between D'Shan and Qui-Gon

Loved your update

7. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Poor D'Shan!

Though the pain heals in time, it never fully goes away :_| :_| :_|

Glad to see Qui-Gon try to cheer him up.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Monday Mush Mania

This was written for Monday Mush Mania. As such, this update is mush.

They lay end to end in the grass, staring up at the star flecked vermillion sky with their head on each other's shoulders. The air was scented with flowers and the only sounds made were their breathing and the calls of distant animals.

It was Kavra Thane who spoke first. "Keyan, do you remember when we first met?"

D'Shan thought for a moment. "Was it on that medi-ship?"

"Mmm-hm. You were wearing nothing but a giant nappy, and you were suspended in bacta."

"I'm glad I don't remember much of the bacta tank." D'Shan groaned as he recalled what little he did remember. "How did you get to be on that ship?"

Thane plucked a long strand of grass and held it up, "I needed an urgent evac from a mission that had gone bad, the Deliverance was the ship that could get to me the quickest." She threw the grass away, "it was just as well, I'd sustained a few injuries during my escape, nothing serious but a medi-ship was better than a battle cruiser."

D'Shan thought for a moment, "I didn't see you with any injuries."

Thane shook her head, "You wouldn't have done, they weren't serious and you were unconscious while I was healing." She giggled to herself, "I had quite a few topless examinations while you were unconscious."

"Just my luck!" D'Shan tried to sound annoyed and he made an irritated noise, but Thane could tell he was grinning. They sighed in unison.

"We didn't start dating on the ship though, that came some time after, so you wouldn't have seen anything if you weren't unconscious."

"You came to see me when I was out of the tank though," D'Shan smiled to himself, "I was grateful for that."

Thane tried not to laugh, "I was mostly curious to see what you looked like without the bacta and bacta patches."

"Heh, yeah, I thought that was the case. Were you disappointed?"

"Nope," she said, reaching a hand up and stroking D'Shan's cheek. "I'm still not."

D'Shan covered her hand with his own. He gently slid her hand over his mouth and kissed her palm. "That's always good to know."

She pulled her hand away to get more comfortable, "do you remember our first date?"

D'Shan snorted, "How could I not? It was a kriffing disaster."

"It started out ok though, I guess. You were late ?"

"So were you!"

"Exactly, you didn't have to tell me you were too." She half laughed, "Besides, I got lost and you didn't have an excuse."

D'Shan was about to protest, but he knew she was right. He was about to argue that he had arrived first, but he knew it wasn't wise. "Where did that leave us?"

"Out side a posh restaurant in the pouring rain, and without a reservation. We ended up in a cheap diner just down the road." She sighed. "That place was worse than anything I'd ever seen."

"It was close by and it was cheap."

Thane made a disgusted noise, "we only went there because it was close by and it was raining. The food was so bad they couldn't give it away, so I wouldn't call it 'cheap'."

D'Shan mused, "You still ate a lot, for food that wasn't nice. Didn't you say it could poison mynocks?"

"It was Sarlaccs, and you joked about trying to get one to eat it." She sounded wistful, as if trying to remember the schemes he came up with.

"That doesn't explain why you ate it."

"It was either that or eat at your place."

"Oi! I'll have you know I'm a very good cook!" D'Shan tried to sound hurt and mostly failed and ended up sounding vaguely proud.

Thane chuckled quietly, "yes, you are. I didn't know that at the time though, did I?"

"No, I guess not." D'Shan sighed. "Why did we stay until closing? The food was bad, the place was grotty, and there were some really unpleasant people there."

"I guess it was the company, it was the only good thing about that place." She half laughed, "The manager did look funny when he tried to kick us out."

D'Shan did laugh, "his face was

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    [face_love] Nothing better than moonlit kisses!

Course, I don't make it into 'Before' very often, but I just read through this. Great job with OCs, who I know can be tough to write!

10. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was absolutely beautiful!

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    "Why did we stay until closing? The food was bad, the place was grotty, and there were some really unpleasant people there."

"I guess it was the company, it was the only good thing about that place
    ."

Awww... [face_love] Great scene! I promise I'll try to read the rest ASAP!

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely update again=D=

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Apologies for not having this up sooner. I've been busy with Uni and NoNoWriMo. I also realised as I was about to update that the part I was going to post was the next part and I had to go back and edit the right part. One problem with writing in Word is that apostrophes and quotation marks get pasted into here as html entities and I can't use html so they have to be changed before posting.

D'Shan woke with a start. Bitter tears drenched his temples as they fell from his eyes, mingling with his sweat soaked hair. He dragged a hand down his face and stared at the wall above his head. Had she really been a Sith?

He sat up slowly and slumped forward. It was hard to believe, but in his feelings he knew it to be true. It was at times like this that he didn't want to believe it.

He swung round and let his legs hang over the edge of his bed, he'd need fresh robes. He staggered to his feet and went to his caff machine. He fumbled with it and set it to make a mug, it was old and his mug would be ready when he had finished in the fresher.

Satisfied that it was working properly, D'Shan went to the fresher room, removing and discarding his robes as he went. He didn't care where they fell; he would pick them up later. He was far from in the mood to care.

The fresher did its job and he felt clean but that was all. He still felt rotten, and the caff only served to make him jittery. He still drank it though, as he leant on the transparisteel of his view port.

D'Shan reached out through the force. He could sense most of the students at the academy. He flitted around, not really looking for anyone. A smiled flickered on his face as he found to younglings in love. The smile faded and he returned to his room.

He sipped his caff and stared at the garden below. Maybe a meditation would help. He drained his mug and left his room. He set off for the meditation gardens. The lights were hurting his eyes and he kept them closed, reaching out with the force to guide him through the corridors.

The meditation gardens were small square gardens set on the edges of the academy. Each had its own theme and would be used for different meditations. Some would offer energy, some would offer enlightenment, and the one that D'Shan entered was one of the calming gardens. Shrubs perfumed the air with soothing scents and a water feature trickled away in a corner, a few fish swam in its waters.

He crossed over to the water feature and sat down in front of it. He watched the fish swim about for a few moments before settling into a meditative position. Concentrating on the sounds of the flowing water and the scent in the air, he breathed in deeply through his nose. He held it, and then let it slip slowly out his mouth.

His thoughts turned to her and their time together. He thought of they'd said and done. Then he thought of their last days together on Dantooine, and all that had happened there.

It was then that a few things slipped into place, or rather that they slipped out, things that had never occurred to him but were strangely amiss. He opened his eyes and stared at the surface of the pool in front of him. He wanted some answers and there was only one person who could give them to him. Before he did that he would have to eat.

D'Shan stood up and left the small garden. He walked swiftly to the canteen, barely acknowledging anyone on the way. He grabbed a meagre meal of soup and bread before sitting down at the emptiest table. He was about to eat when he felt a presence in the Force, he looked up and saw Jinn walking towards him.

"I thought I'd find you here," he said, sitting down opposite D'Shan. "I tried your quarters but you weren't there."

D'Shan tore off a piece of bread and dipped it into his soup. "No, I was meditating." He pulled out the sodden bread and ate it, barely chewing it. "I was hoping to see you, as it happens."

Jinn nodded, "if there's anything I can do to help."

"I'm hoping you can," D'Shan put down his spoon, "It's about Dantooine."

"I thought y

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    That's a great update Jinn knowing about the Whills?

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It was a reference to his 'forbidden love' with Tahl. I'm not sure where you got the Whills from, as I didn't know about them before.

16. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I loved Qui's chat with D'Shan. At least he was able to give him some answers and show him he's not the only one tempted by the darkside.

I hope his meditations will reveal even more answers.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

17. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007

Awesome job! I look forward to finding out more about the main character, and I really like the Qui-Gon we see here.

Keep up the great work! :)

(Sorry I haven't replied sooner; apperantly school has it out for me [face_worried] .)

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I apologise for not updating this, I've been busy with various things. I'll update it again soon.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The next update, finally! All of this story has revolved around an incident that happened on Dantooine, but what exactly happened? It's time to find out. This is a two part update, the other part will follow in a few days.

[b]Part One:[/b]

They lay on a blanket beneath the Dantooine sky, naked and spent after making love. D'Shan was on his back with his hands beneath his head as Thane curled up against his side, draping her arm lazily across his chest. The sun was setting and a chill breeze was drifting through the forest clearing.

Thane yawned widely. It was getting late and she was getting tired. She fumbled around for her wrist-chrono and checked the time. She grunted. "We should get dressed and go back."

D'Shan made a strange noise with his throat. As much as he liked being there with Thane he knew she was right and that they should be getting back. He sighed, "OK then. I suppose we should go back before it's too dark."

Thane reached up and kissed his cheek. "Can you pass me my robes?" D'Shan grunted his consent and reached out, retrieving her robes and handing them to her. She rolled off him so he could sit and covered herself with the robes like a blanket.

D'Shan sat up and looked at her. "You're very cute when you do that," he said, and kissed her nose. "I suppose you want me dressed first, don't you?" Thane just nodded. He stood up and went about the clearing gathering their clothes, draping his own over one arm and throwing Thane's at her. He quickly dressed and went to the edge of the clearing and stared into the trees.

With D'Shan facing away, Thane stood and began to dress. She heard D'Shan laughing quietly and glared at him. "What's so funny?"

D'Shan tried to stop laughing. "Nothing," he said. "It's just that I've seen you naked so many times and yet you still don't like me watching you dress."

Thane sighed and finished getting dressed. "I wouldn't laugh if I was you, or you won't be seeing me at all."

"But-" D'Shan began, but he was cut off as she slipped her arms around his waist and squeezed gently. He turned around in her embrace and held her close for a few minutes. "I think it's time we left," he said with a sigh.

"I know a short cut; it'll be much quicker to get back."

D'Shan just shrugged, "I'd rather go back the way we came then, just so I can spend more time with you."

She smiled and laughed a little. "That's very sweet of you," she kissed his cheek, "but we have to go my way. I've arranged a special something." D'Shan was about to ask what when she silenced him by putting two fingers over his mouth, "it's a secret special something. Will you follow me?"

D'Shan nodded his agreement and Thane removed her fingers so he could speak. "You know I'd follow you anywhere you ask me to."

Thane nodded and smiled, blushing slightly. She slipped out of his embrace and moved off to the edge of the clearing. "It's this way," she said as she turned and walked into the trees.

The jungle was thick and D'Shan lost sight of her several times, when he did he reached out and sensed her through the force. The trees and the wildlife made it hard but he always found her. After a while he lost sight of her, and then he found her through the force, sensing that she was standing still. [i]She must have arrived at the place[/i] he thought and continued on, stepping out into a clearing. There was a large area of grass ending in a low cliff.

Thane turned around, "we're here." She walked over to him and slipped her arms around his waist. He slipped his arms around her as she kissed him on the lips.

A rustle in the undergrowth caught their attention and they broke apart. They reached for their sabres as the sounds got closer. Dark shapes appeared in the shadows, materialising into two robed men.

Thane looked at them as if about to say something, then something changed in her. "SITH!" She yelled the single word, and ignited her sabre, the yellow blade extending with a snap-hiss. D'Shan followed suit, his silver blade floodi

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great update,leaving us with a cliffie.

21. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    I finally came around to read the whole story. I loved how you are meshing the past and the present to tell the story. Hope yopu continue soon!

22. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    They edged back towards the cliff edge as the hooded figures slowly advanced on them.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That was an evil, evil place to leave off

[face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you]

I can only hope D'Shan and Thane aren't too...tired to mount a defense.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The thrilling conclusion to the last update is here!

[b]Part 2[/b]:

"Who are you?" D'Shan called out. The two cloaked and hooded figures had stopped just out of the trees. Thane was standing to one side just behind him. He firmed his stance and demanded once again "who are you?"

Thane nudged him gently, "I told you they were Sith. On the count of three, we strike." She looked up at him, "Agreed?"

D'Shan looked at her, then back at the dark figures. He grudgingly nodded, "agreed." He twisted his sabre hilt in his hand to get a better grip, and raised it in an offensive position.

The hooded figures looked at each other. As if they had spoken without words, they nodded. The slightly taller one stepped forward. His short and neatly trimmed beard began to show in the light of the glowing blades.

Stopping in just in front of the lovers, he reached up towards his hood.

"NOW!" cried Thane, leaping forward and swinging her light sabre aggressively at the man. The other figure move swiftly, a green sabre appeared out of nowhere and he was between the standing figures and Thane. He blocked her sabre deftly and swung in an attack of his own. She blocked it but was knocked her back a few feet.

D'Shan just stared. The man's hood had fallen, and he knew who it was. The other man had dropped his hood. "What are you doing here?" bellowed D'Shan at the man he knew.

"Sith," Jinn said simply. "Only it's not us. We tracked down some Sith to this planet. We found them a few clicks away; they were supposed to meet you here, lured by her." He pointed his sabre hilt at Thane, "We believe they were either going to kill you or convert you."

Kenobi had moved back to Jinn's side, keeping an eye on Thane as she stood up slowly. She was clutching her shoulder and looked pained. "Don't trust them, Keyan! He just wants to kill you, I heard him plotting against you!"

Jinn looked D'Shan in the eyes, "search your feelings, you'll know it's not true."

D'Shan looked from Kenobi and Jinn to Thane, and then back again. "You say she's a Sith, what do you want to do with her?" Thane moved slowly back to his side. "You want to kill her, don't you?"

Jinn remained silent, but he shifted his grip on his light sabre slightly.

D'Shan narrowed his eyes and stared at the Jedi. "You'll have to come through me first."

"Don't be a fool, Keyan. Stand aside, there's no need for you to get hurt." Jinn shifted his grip again.

"NEVER!" D'Shan leapt through the air, bringing his sabre round in arc aimed at the Jedi Master.

It was Kenobi who blocked him, knocking him back far enough for Jinn to ignite his own sabre and defend against the next few blows. Thane joined the fight, leaping over D'Shan and bringing her sabre down hard. Kenobi was unable to help; he could only watch Jinn fell, his light sabre flying off into the forest.

Summoning as much Force energy he could, he pushed out and threw Thane off to one side, her sabre spinning off over the cliff edge. Only D'Shan remained between him and Jinn. D'Shan raised his sabre, but Kenobi was quicker, swinging his own blade up he sliced through D'Shan's robes from left hip to right shoulder. He fell to his knees before collapsing on his face, his weapon landing out of reach.

Kenobi edged around to where Jinn had fallen. "Are you alright, Master?" he asked as he helped the older Jedi to his feet.

Jinn nodded. "You didn't kill him, did you?" He looked down at D'Shan before moving round and picking up the fallen Jedi's light sabre.

"No, he's not dead," he said, as he knelt by D'Shan's side and examined him, "he won't be fighting for a while though. I think I aimed it just right." He parted the robes and revealed a large X shape formed by an old scar and the fresh wound. The fresh wound looked deep but was little more than a deep cut, though it would leave a scar.

Jinn nodded and turned his attention to woman. "Give it up, Kavra. Or should I say Darth Tavik?"

Thane was barely able to stand, her breathing was harsh. Sh

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great update with that fight and now what happens next?

25. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    :_| So that was D'shan's problem with sabers, his love died by his own lighsaber!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.