main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends An Island of Stone - holiday fic gift for The Musical Jedi - Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: An Island of Stone
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Notes: Written for the Holiday Fic exchange. The Musical Jedi wanted the following elements:

Please write the following for them:
    I would like
    1. Obi-Wan before the purges
    2. Humor of some kind
    3. No Anakin

My character is Obi-Wan. Anyone else beside Anakin is also welcome.

Gina made this lovely cover for me. Thank you! [:D]

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/MamaVader/islandstonecopy.jpg]

An Island of Stone

?I don?t see why I have to do this,? Obi-Wan muttered, not quite under his breath. ?Seems pretty senseless to me,? he added with a pointed look toward Qui-Gon.

An amused glance from his Master only made the young man sigh heavily. ?You?ll see the value in it eventually,? Qui-Gon assured him.

Obi-Wan blew out a breath and squinted at the pile of stones beside him. ?That?s a lot of rocks,? he observed, just in case his Master had not noticed.

?I?m aware of that, Padawan,? Qui-Gon replied dryly. ?In fact, since there are so many of them, perhaps you should get started?? The suggestion was more than a suggestion and they both knew it.

With a resigned nod of his head, Obi-Wan turned his attention to the task assigned to him by his Master. Perhaps Qui-Gon was angry at him for something, he mused. Or maybe his Master was merely cranky over something else entirely and it would be the innocent Padawan who paid the price. As usual, he thought a bit sourly.

Obi-Wan scowled at the rock he was carrying.

Carefully, he put it in place, making sure it was level and well nestled in the ground.

A firm foundation, he thought. The Padawan looked back at Qui-Gon for approval, but his Master was sprawled on the grass, his head pillowed on his arms and his eyes closed while he hummed a less than musical tune.

?Must be nice to have nothing to do,? Obi-Wan grumbled to himself, though he thought he saw a ghost of a smile tug at Qui-Gon?s lips.

He continued to carry stones and Qui-Gon continued to hum. Then suddenly, Obi-Wan realized that all he heard was the sound of the wind whistling through the grasses and was relieved that Qui-Gon had stopped with the incessant humming. Even a Jedi can only take so much, he assured himself.

Obi-Wan stopped counting how many trips he made between the pile of stones and what was rapidly beginning to resemble a wall when he hit one hundred seventy seven. Wiping the sweat from his forehead, he stopped and studied his Master.

Qui-Gon appeared to be asleep, his long legs sprawled out, his hair waving in the gentle breeze, and -

What? Was he actually snoring? The man could rival a bantha with that noise, Obi-Wan thought with a smirk.

Another loud snort reached Obi-Wan and he shook his head in disbelief. While he labored under a hot sun, Qui-Gon was having himself a nap. And enjoying it quite a bit if appearances were not deceiving. Even as he watched, Qui-Gon exhaled lustily and idly scratched at his belly before giving another hearty snore.

Enjoying his nap indeed, Obi-Wan thought crossly.

The young man turned his attention to the ever so slowly disappearing pile of rocks. Selecting one he thought just might fit in a small hole between two larger stones, he carried it back to the wall and began working on discovering the best position for the smaller rock. He tried it first one way and then another, but in the end he had to move the largest stone slightly to the right to make room for it. It was more challenging than a puzzle, he mused, but more satisfying somehow.

When that problem had been solved, he returned to the pile and selected yet another rock. As he grunted with the effort, he could not help but think that the whole process would have gone much quicker if he had been allowed to carry more than one stone, especially the smaller ones, in a single trip.

?And what good is being able to use the Force if I can?t even carry a blasted rock with it?? he asked himself. ?I?m a Jedi! Not a farmer, for

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Oh wow, that was beautiful. [face_love]

3. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    I echo the sentiment, that was truly a delightful little vignette, Kim.

Qui-Gon appeared to be asleep, his long legs sprawled out, his hair waving in the gentle breeze, and -

What? Was he actually snoring? The man could rival a bantha with that noise, Obi-Wan thought with a smirk.

Another loud snort reached Obi-Wan and he shook his head in disbelief. While he labored under a hot sun, Qui-Gon was having himself a nap. And enjoying it quite a bit if appearances were not deceiving. Even as he watched, Qui-Gon exhaled lustily and idly scratched at his belly before giving another hearty snore.

Enjoying his nap indeed, Obi-Wan thought crossly.

Awwww poor Obi ;) He's so mistreated ;) Actually he responded better than I would've :p

[face_love]

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Once again, a wonderful story from THE master of such stories.

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it. Nice the interaction between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon

6. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Awww.... Thank you, Kim!! [:D][:D] It was beautiful!

Carefully, he put it in place, making sure it was level and well nestled in the ground.
    A firm foundation, he thought. The Padawan looked back at Qui-Gon for approval, but his Master was sprawled on the grass, his head pillowed on his arms and his eyes closed while he hummed a less than musical tune.

?Must be nice to have nothing to do,? Obi-Wan grumbled to himself, though he thought he saw a ghost of a smile tug at Qui-Gon?s lips.

He continued to carry stones and Qui-Gon continued to hum. Then suddenly, Obi-Wan realized that all he heard was the sound of the wind whistling through the grasses and was relieved that Qui-Gon had stopped with the incessant humming. Even a Jedi can only take so much, he assured himself.

That would drive me nuts. Obi-Wan's right; even a Jedi can only take so much. :p

The sun rose high in the sky, and Obi-Wan felt his tunics begin to stick to him. At last, he gave in and removed his utility belt and obi, working only in his leggings and a thin tunic.

:eek: Should have asked for Shirtless!Obi! Still, obi-less and belt-less Obi is very good indeed. [face_mischief][face_love]

?Have I taught you a lot then?? Obi-Wan asked, his lips quirking.

?More than you can realize,? Qui-Gon answered. Then he sighed deeply and clasped his hands in front of him. ?Building this wall is a bit like building the bond between a Master and a Padawan.? He turned and met Obi-Wan?s eyes. ?You must build it slowly and carefully,? he said, gesturing toward the wall. ?Each act, each word, is a small stone you put in place. It must fit, or the wall weakens and will give way in the face of the first strong wind, and you cannot be in a hurry to finish the task, or it will not stand the test of time.?

?I think I?m beginning to see the purpose of the task,? Obi-Wan replied.

Qui-Gon continued as if he had not heard Obi-Wan?s words. ?And the most important thing about the bond to remember is that as much time and care as it takes to build it, no matter how strong it appears, it is in reality quite fragile??

This is so true. Why is it we so often forget that our friendships and relationships are in reality so fragile? The people we should be kindest to are often the ones we treat most roughly.... [face_plain]

And I agree with Layren. I would have responded much more poorly. :p

Then to his surprise, Qui-Gon knelt in the grass and began selecting stones just as he had done all morning, settling them into the foundation that Obi-Wan had built so recently. Without a word, Obi-Wan knelt beside him, placing stones carefully beside his Master?s, fitting them together.

?And what is destroyed can sometimes be repaired,? Qui-Gon said. Then he glanced at Obi-Wan. ?When we work together, we will find that the task is much easier.?

I see so many levels to this; it really is moving.

Thanks again, Kim! It's a fantastic gift! [:D][face_love]:D

7. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Simply beautiful. I especially liked it that they rebuilt the wall together. The last line will stay in my memory:

It stood, a solitary island of stone in a sea of fragrant grass.

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was lovely

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Qui-Gon certainly has an effective, if not unorthodox, way of teaching.

his Master was merely cranky over something else entirely and it would be the innocent Padawan who paid the price

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I loved that!

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet, wise, funny--terrific!! So many LOL moments. :) Loved it!!! @};-

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was lovely and I'm sure Obi-Wan saw the lesson in it but I'd be upset. Knocking over a wall I'd spent hours on. LOL. Let me at him - darn Jedi Master!

Great job.

11. Master_Tigris_Leigh

Master_Tigris_Leigh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    Beautiful story! I loved Qui-Gon's lesson, and how they rebuilt the wall together. Excellent symbolism. =D=

12. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Aw, this was beautiful. [face_love]

Obi-Wan stared at the pile of rocks scattered around them. What had been a well-built wall just a few moments ago had been reduced to nothing more than rubble. A drop of sweat trickled down his back, an unwelcome reminder of all the hours he had spent building the wall that Qui-Gon had destroyed so casually.

Then to his surprise, Qui-Gon knelt in the grass and began selecting stones just as Obi-Wan had done all morning, settling them into the foundation that Obi-Wan had built so recently. Without a word, Obi-Wan knelt beside him, placing stones carefully beside his Master?s, fitting them together.

?And what is destroyed can sometimes be repaired,? Qui-Gon said. Then he glanced at Obi-Wan. ?When we work together, we will find that the task is much easier.?

Qui-Gon seems a perfect teacher. I am sure Obi-Wan will never forget that lesson.

13. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Qui-Gon continued as if he had not heard Obi-Wan?s words. ?And the most important thing about the bond to remember is that as much time and care as it takes to build it, no matter how strong it appears, it is in reality quite fragile??

With that, Qui-Gon lifted his hands and gave a mighty push with the Force. There was a rumbling sound and then stones flew backward and away from them. The wall had been completely demolished with a thought. Obi-Wan stared at it, bewildered to a point beyond anger at the lost work. He was merely?confused.

Blinking, he looked up at his Master. ?Why?? he asked simply.

?What you create over time can be destroyed in an instant,? Qui-Gon said softly. ?That is the lesson I wished to teach you today.?

When I read this part, the image of Anakin marching into the Jedi Temple with a battalion of clones behind him flashed through my mind. Makes me wonder if Qui-Gon is speaking of his and Xan's failure as master/apprentice, his and Obi-Wan's rocky start to where they currently are, or if he has seen something and thought to teach Obi-Wan this lesson now.

I am in awe of your writing, of how the words reach out to the reader. :)

This was amazing! =D=

14. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Wow. =D= Sometimes, not only does the Padawan and Master receive a lesson...the readers might as well. I loved this, so genuine and funny, and true to character. Jinn must have really had some spare time on his hands, but I'm glad he taught this lesson, because I'm sure Obi-wan will need it in the years to come. I guess he was just starting out in this story. Aha. Great job. It was quite humorous and poetic at the same time. Loved it. :D

15. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Beatifully written. I loved the humor and the interaction between Obi and Qui was perfect.

Well done =D=

16. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    This was so beautiful.

Obi-Wan stared at the pile of rocks scattered around them. What had been a well-built wall just a few moments ago had been reduced to nothing more than rubble. A drop of sweat trickled down his back, an unwelcome reminder of all the hours he had spent building the wall that Qui-Gon had destroyed so casually.

Then to his surprise, Qui-Gon knelt in the grass and began selecting stones just as Obi-Wan had done all morning, settling them into the foundation that Obi-Wan had built so recently. Without a word, Obi-Wan knelt beside him, placing stones carefully beside his Master?s, fitting them together.

I will definately try to remember this for a very long time. Qui-Gon seems to be a wonderful teacher and this part is so very true.

Beautiful fic.

17. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Even as he watched, Qui-Gon exhaled lustily and idly scratched at his belly before giving another hearty snore.

[face_laugh] I can just imagine how annoying that was! What is it with men and scratching their bellies, anyway?

Lovely. As my daughter would say, "Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside."

18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ?More than you can realize,? Qui-Gon answered. Then he sighed deeply and clasped his hands in front of him. ?Building this wall is a bit like building the bond between a Master and a Padawan.? He turned and met Obi-Wan?s eyes. ?You must build it slowly and carefully,? he said, gesturing toward the wall. ?Each act, each word, is a small stone you put in place. It must fit, or the wall weakens and will give way in the face of the first strong wind, and you cannot be in a hurry to finish the task, or it will not stand the test of time.?

The moral of the story is...

:)

This was a lovely story and one that exemplfies your masterful ability to tell them. The characterizations were seamless as was the narrative and conclusion. I really like these two.

19. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    The moral of this story is to annoy
    the force out of your padawan.:p

I dont think I would have been so willing to obey
    him.:mad:
    Although at least he did start to rebuild it in the end.=D=

Lovely=D=

20. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Or maybe his Master was merely cranky over something else entirely and it would be the innocent Padawan who paid the price. As usual, he thought a bit sourly.

LOL! That's probably it. :p

LOL!

Even as he watched, Qui-Gon exhaled lustily and idly scratched at his belly before giving another hearty snore.

'Lustily'? :eek: I'm surprised at Qui-Gon.

What purpose the wall would serve in the middle of an empty field, he did not know.

It would build strong muscles. :p

"When we work together, we will find that the task is much easier."

Hmmm, somehow, I imagine Dooku once made Qui build a similar stone wall, and in typical teacher tradition, Qui-Gon now delighted in making Obi-Wan suffer. :p

=D= Good work, Vadey!

21. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    What a demostratively Jedi-type lesson! Very nice. It's so appropriate that they would teach that everything they do can be destroyed in an instant. And sadly prophetic considering what happened to the Jedi, too. It was a lovely follow up that they worked together to rebuild Obi-Wan's first wall. A wonderful follow-up lesson. =D=

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Alexis_Wingstar Thank you so much!

Jinngerbread Padawans never get to have ANY fun! :p

Valairy_Scot Thank you. [face_blush]

earlybird-obi-wan Thank you for reading! [:D]

The Musical Jedi I'm thrilled that you liked it! :D

ratna You're always so kind. [face_blush]

KELIA Poor, beleaguered Obi!

Jade_eyes Thank you.

dianethx Yeah, I would have been a little peturbed! :p

Master_Tigris_Leigh Thanks!

MsLanna Never! And one day he might be able to laugh about it! ;)

bek That scene in the Temple was actually the inspiration for this. Funny how that happens. :p

Cole_KenobiI'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Kestrel_Kenobi Thank you! :)

Ceillean It will be a lesson long-remembered.

Ara-gon That scratching thing is genetic. :p

brodiew I had fun writing it. :)

Gkilkenny He's Obi, of course he'll obey. Anakin now... That would be a different story! [face_mischief]

BrentusofGath Thank you for reading!

ardavenport Yes, especially considering how things turndd out. :_|

23. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    :eek: I remember this one and thought I had left a reply. So, rectifying that now. LOL!

Beautifully done, K. It seems very in keeping with Qui's character to teach just such a lesson. And I couldn't help but feel a bit of eerie foreshadowing, knowing what Obi's future holds.

Lovely work!! =D= =D=

24. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Bah... Jinn was lying he just wanted his padawan to build a shade of him to sleep in!
    loved story... I loved the abject lesson!

it is sort of ironic though... because in TPM he almost shattered it with his words
    about anakin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.