main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Dream Story (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, OCs) ~updated 4/18~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by silverfighter, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Title: Dream Story
    Author: silverfighter
    Timeframe: About six or seven years before The Phantom Menace. Obi-Wan is fifteen.
    Summary: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are on a short, nameless mission on Kamino when a vicious storm strikes. They have to help children off of a dying settlement, and in the process meet some interesting people who may or may not want to help them.
    Notes: This is a weird, slightly AUish story. Weird and AUish because this story is based off of a dream I had when I was thirteen, in the POV of Obi-Wan Kenobi. This whole first part is pretty much an exact copy of the dream, but later parts will be what I come up with now. I'm only planning on one, maybe two more parts, but if a plot bunny bites, there might be more. :)

^^^^^~~~~~^^^^^

Lightning splits through the air, lighting the night sky a split second before thunder rumbles ominously. The rain pounds on the metal roofing of Akban City, one of the few that remain on the watery world of Kamino. Waves thrash savagely against the supports that keep the city suspended above the water, the white foam occasionally crashing against the window which separates me from the outside world. This is a monster of a storm, stronger then the one before this and the one before that. Perhaps the strongest of all the storms we have experienced during this two month stay.

I turn to my Master, the Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn. "I have a very bad feeling about this, Master."

A small smile quirks the edges of the older man's lips. "You say that about every storm, Obi-Wan."

I shake my head, looking out the window again. "Something is going to happen, something bad. I can feel it."

"This is a dangerous storm to be sure." Qui-Gon places a hand on my shoulder. "But the future is always in motion. Don't wor-" He didn't get the chance to finish those words, for a loud, piercing alarm splits through the air. I raise an eyebrow, biting back an "I told you so".

Qui-Gon's comlink signals and he steps away for a moment and speaks quietly into the device. "Come, Obi-Wan," he says, putting the comlink back in his belt. "They need our help in the orphanage."

"What for?" I quickly shrug into my long, brown robe and follow him out the door.

"Evacuation," comes the curt reply. "Your feeling served you well." My feelings always serve me well, but Qui-Gon just doesn't listen, simply brushing them aside as petty worries, which can be frustrating.

We walk through long hallways, passing many people in their rush to leave, carrying packs on their backs and their children in their arms. The whole settlement suddenly shakes and my stomach lurches. "Oh, not good," I mumble.

"Relax, Padawan." Qui-Gon glances at me, though his own worry radiates out through our bond.

When we reach the orphanage, which is nothing more then two small sleep rooms, nine children greet us worriedly. The caretaker has abandoned them, fearing for his own safety and leaving them to us. One young child, not much older then six years old looks up at me with dark blue eyes, her blond hair twisted into two knots on the top of her head. "You are going to help us," she says solemnly.

"We are," I say softly. "But you must do what we say when we say it." I look each child in the eye. "Is that understood?" They all nod their heads, a few venturing a "Yes, sir."

Qui-Gon takes out a cord of rope and lashes it about his waist before carefully tying it around each child. "Stay close to us," he orders, handing me the end of the rope. He leads us out into the now crowded hall, attempting to clear a path to the landing dock. He shouts over the din, trying to make it known that he is leading children, but to no avail. Everyone is concerned for their lives and their lives only. My Master was about to lead us down a semi-empty hallway when the settlement shook violently, throwing us against a panel of windows. Horrified, I notice that the floor wa

2. SUGARBANTJINN

SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2007
    you're right, it IS a cliff hanger! Can't wait to read more! :D

3. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Wow, that must have been some dream! It was really sad when that little girl died. Did that happen in your dream, too?

This is a really cool story, silverfighter! Would you mind sending me a PM when you update? [face_praying]

4. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Oh, that was a daring rescue! But it seems, they are not out of the water yet. Aha. [face_laugh] Lovely begining!=D= Can't wait for more! Plesae add me to your PM list. Thank you! :)

5. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Wow! =D= Very interesting beginning. Please PM me when you update this cool story! :cool:

6. Blue_Lightsaber42

Blue_Lightsaber42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2007
    Yaaaay! Obi and Qui save the day! But that was so sad when the girl died!:_| PM me when you update![face_peace]

7. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    SUGARBANTJINN: Only just a little... :p Thanks! I'll try to have more soon.

Meredith_Kenobi: That it was. And compared to some other dreams I have had, this one was rather pleasant. And yes, everything in this first post happened in my dream. [face_tired] I wouldn't mind sending you a PM at all. :)

Cole_Kenobi: But it seems, they are not out of the water yet. Aha.

[face_laugh] That's clever. :D Thank you very much! ((adds Cole to the list)) :p

jedidas3: Thank you! Of course I'll PM you too! :)

Blue_Lightsaber42: Yes... Or do they? [face_thinking]

But that was so sad when the died!

Try seeing it happen in a rather vivid dream. :( I'll be happy to PM you. :)

^^^^^~~~~~^^^^^

Alright, the next post may be up this time next week, but only if I figure out some dialogue, and how closely I want to follow the end of the dream. I remember the beginning and the end of the dream, but not the middle, so I'm trying to figure out how the two will meet. :) Thanks for reading!

PM List

Meredith_Kenobi
    Cole_Kenobi
    jedidas3
    Blue_Lightsaber42

8. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Oooo, dream-inspired! I like. Sounds pretty wild so far.
    Is this one of those crazy dreams that somehow fool you into thinking several days have passed over the course of the ninety minutes it actually lasted? Those dreams hurt my mind.

I once had a dream like that involving a zombie outbreak started by a cult. In dream-time, it lasted a week, during which I was either escaping from things, generally on the run, or hiding in safehouses. Then one of the people I befriended in the dream betrayed the group at the end of it, basically dooming us all to certain death inside a grocery store.

Hopefully your's wasn't quite so nihilistic.. [face_worried]

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I love dreams that turn into stories they are the best kind.
    Especially with Obi-Wan in them.[face_love]

Can you add me to your PM list please.:D

10. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    1Yodimus_Prime: I don't remember how long passed in the dream exactly, but yeah, twas one of those. :p I actually have had a dream like that before, but this isn't one of them. :)

Gkilkenny: Dream stories are some of my favorites too, they can turn out to be really amusing. :D

PM List

Meredith_Kenobi
    Cole_Kenobi
    jedidas3
    Blue_Lightsaber42
    Gkilkenny

This next update is really short, simply because I only finally figured out what I'm going to do with this story a few days ago, but I want to post it so I can't change my mind again. :p Hopefully over Spring break I'll have time to write out the last part. Thanks to everyone for reading!

^^^^~~~~^^^^

The old ship rocks and moans in the rough sea, the wind whistling through the sails and the boards creaking beneath my feet. Ships are not made like this anymore, they haven?t for millennia, so I am surprised that this one so much as exists, much less on Kamino, where monstrous waves and storms have been known to tear apart even the most finely crafted vessel. Much as the storms and sea claimed Akban, and all its inhabitants.

My stomach lurches as we travel up the side of a wave, and quickly come crashing back down the other side. I grip the table at which I sit, which is fortunately nailed to the floor, and reach up a hand to steady the rocking of the glowlamp that hangs above my head.

The map that lies before me is old, the parchment yellow and stained. It displays landmasses that were swallowed by an onrushing sea when the polar icecaps of this planet melted. According to the claims of Captain Toneo, some of that land still pokes above the ocean. He is taking us to one of them, one that he says has a spaceport so Qui-Gon and I can get off this planet. Our comlinks were ruined in the storm, so we have no way of calling for help.

The captain is refusing to take us to any of the surviving settlements, but he is not revealing why. For now we will go along with it, but if we travel much longer with no land in sight, something will have to be done.

I pull a newer holographic map towards me. The one glowing dot amidst a vast expanse of dark blue represents our ship, and the glowing cross our destination. Using the key in the right hand corner I estimate three more days of traveling until we reach wherever it is we are going.

Qui-Gon comes below deck hugging a cloak tightly across his body. ?Have you found anything?? he asks quietly.

I shake my head and sigh. ?Nothing. The captain is very meticulous about what he does. If he?s hiding anything, I haven?t found it.? I wave a hand at the maps. ?While not very useful, these maps are interesting.?

Qui-Gon fingers the parchment of the oldest map. ?This one could be centuries old,? he says, then picks up the holographic map. ?This one however, this one doesn?t have the appearance of something of more then a few years.?

?It seems to be a positioning system of sorts,? I say, pointing to the various points.

?If that is where we are headed,? Qui-Gon says, tapping the glowing cross, ?then we should be arriving shortly.?

?That?s just what I was thinking, Master.? I stand and stretch my sore muscles. ?How long have I been down here??

?I?m not sure,? Qui-Gon says, hesitating slightly. ?The sun has been in a setting position much longer then it should. Almost as if time itself has stopped.?

?Nothing would surprise me now,? I mutter, gathering up the maps and carefully putting them away. ?So many strange things have happened on this ?routine? mission.?

A smile tugs at Qui-Gon?s lips. ?No mission is routine, Obi-Wan.?

I grin. ?I am well aware, Master.?

^^^^~~~~^^^^

11. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    A smile tugs at Qui-Gon?s lips. ?No mission is routine, Obi-Wan.?

I grin. ?I am well aware, Master.?

Especially with those two! [face_laugh] NIce update...I'm looking forward to the next part.

12. Cole_Kenobi

Aug 17, 2005
    Ahah. [face_laugh] Love the banter between Master and Padawan! How true!

Nice update. :D Thanks for the PM. @};-

13. Blue_Lightsaber42

Dec 7, 2007

[face_laugh] So true.
    Great update, silver, thanks for the PM!
    =D= =D= =D=

14. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    jedidas3: Thank you. :) I am horrible with dialouge, but those lines seemed to fit.

Cole_Kenobi: Really? Thank you, and you're welcome. :p :D

Blue_Lightsaber42: Sheesh, I guess I did good with those last words. :p Thanks and you're welcome. :)

I have a goal of finishing the story by the end of the week, whether or not that will happen I don't know, but the last bit should be split into at least two if not more parts, so a new post should be up by the end of the week. :) Thanks for reading!

15. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

?That?s just what I was thinking, Master.? I stand and stretch my sore muscles. ?How long have I been down here??

?I?m not sure,? Qui-Gon says, hesitating slightly. ?The sun has been in a setting position much longer then it should. Almost as if time itself has stopped.?

?Nothing would surprise me now,? I mutter, gathering up the maps and carefully putting them away. ?So many strange things have happened on this ?routine? mission.?

wow I wonder if time has stood still.
    This is interesting.[face_thinking]

very good.=D=

16. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    Glad to see this one up and running again! I'm really enjoying this story, short though it may be. =D=

17. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Gkilkenny: You'll see, that is, if I can write the rest of this story in a way that doesn't make it too confusing. [face_worried] Thank you. :D

Meredith_Kenobi: Yeah, the plot bunnies for this one are rabid, I tell you, they keep changing which way they're bouncing. :p Thank you. :D

I am past the time I said I would post another update, but the plot bunnies for this next update are refusing to shut up, no matter what I do. I have the basic idea where the whole story will go, I'm just trying to find a good breaking point to make it into two posts... [face_thinking] So yes, that is my excuse, as horrible as it it. [face_blush]

18. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Sorry this took so long. Procrastination and rampant plotbunnies are so not good. :p

^^^^~~~~^^^^

Qui-Gon and I sit in a comfortable silence for a few beats, before a loud bang and an earsplitting shriek above our heads interrupts. Exchanging a glance, we jump to our feet and come out above deck, blinking in harsh sunlight.

?I thought you said the sun was setting?? I ask Qui-Gon incredulously.

?It was,? Qui-Gon murmurs before he grabs the arm of a passing crewman. ?What happened??

?A bird dive-bombed us,? the crewman says simply.

?A bird? what?? I lift an eyebrow.

?Happens all the time.? The man shrugs. ?Gave one of the little ones a scare, though.?

As Qui-Gon releases his arm, I stare after the man, then glance at the horizon and back again. ?This shouldn?t be happening.?

?I agree,? Qui-Gon says, now taking my arm and leading me over to the small group of children huddling on the deck, staring at the large body of the bird.

Shaking aside my worries, I squat in front of them and smile. ?You needn?t be scared, it was only a silly bird.?

One of the younger boys who I remember to be Chimika shakes his head. ?It?s a dragon!?

I frown. ?No it isn?t. It?s only a bird.? I move over and poke at the animal. ?See? It can?t hurt you.?

?They?re everywhere,? one of them whisper, casting her eyes about. ?The dragons will get us.?

?Where do you see them?? Qui-Gon looks up at the sky, searching for the invisible beasts.

?Behind you!? Chimika shrieks, as all the other children begin screaming.

With a click and a low humming, Qui-Gon?s emerald lightsaber shoots to life. ?I see and sense no animal,? he says to me in a low voice. ?But there is a strong sense of foreboding from the Force.?

?Is there a problem?? I spin on my heels and quickly stand to face Captain Toneo . The man is wrapped in a long black cape, and the dagger strapped to his hip doesn?t go unnoticed to my eye.

?These monsters the children are seeing,? I say slowly. ?What are they? I see nothing.?

?Monsters?? The captain frowns. ?Maybe they?ve gotten too much sun.?

?That could be the case,? Qui-Gon says slowly. ?But we are on Kamino. There should be no sun. Where are the storms this planet in known for? Why was the sun setting one moment, and then suddenly high in the sky??

The man looks over his shoulder at the sun which was once again moving into a setting position. ?I see nothing out of the ordinary.?

?Does the sun normally take this long to set?? Qui-Gon deactivates his lightsaber, hooking his in his belt, the hilt held loosely in one hand.

?What are you talking about?? A confused look comes over Toneo?s face.

?I? never mind,? Qui-Gon says, waving a hand dismissively. ?Come, children, you need to get some rest.?

As we herd the small group below deck I notice something. ?Master, was it not storming when I was below deck??

?It was,? he says, lifting a small figure into one of the swinging hammocks.

?If the storm just stopped,? I muse, ?then what about the waves? Wouldn?t it take longer for those to die away??

Qui-Gon jerks his head at the children, most of whom are still crying. ?We?ll discuss this later,? he says quietly.

I nod once before turning and pulling all the standing children in a comforting hug. ?Everything will be okay,? I whisper. ?It will all work out.?

It is nearly an hour later once all eyes are dry and closed in sleep. I glance at the open hatch leading to the deck. Moonlight and the chatter of the crewmen pours in. Slowly I climb out on deck, and stare at the largest golden moon I have ever seen in my life. It?s light is so bright I have trouble seeing the stars in the heavens, but have no trouble whatsoever seeing the scene before me.

Most of the crew members are dressed in various finery, finery I didn?t know anyone on the ship owned, and are standing in a circle around the main mast, talking quietly amongst themselves. I narrow my eyes as I see one of the woman members tied firmly to the mast.

19. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Ah, confusing it may be .. but aren't all dreams confusing.:confused:

I think they are in the bermuda triangle or something similiar
    on Kamino.o_O

Lets hope they find true land and not just another allusion.

Looking forward to more.=D=

20. Blue_Lightsaber42

Dec 7, 2007
    Confusing dreams are sooo annoying. This one is so cool though. Great job!
    =D= =D= =D=
    PS: Don't kill Obi!!!

21. Cole_Kenobi

Aug 17, 2005
    Definately intriguing! Yay dragons! lol

Wonderful update!

22. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Cool post! :cool: I'm not a fan of confusing dreams, either, but they happen and this one is so intriguing. Way to go! Thanks for the PM![:D]

23. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    This IS very dream-like. It seems like nothing's real, and you simply don't know what could happen next. [face_hypnotized] =D=

Very cool. More soon!

24. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Gkilkenny: I don't know, I've had some unconfusing dreams before. If that's even a word. :p Oh, they're in something like that. You'll see. [face_mischief]

Blue_Lightsaber42:
    I'm not going to kill him. At least, I'm not planning too. But you never know what will happen with rabid plot bunnies. Thanks. :)

Cole_Kenobi:
    Thank you. :D

jedidas3:
    I'm glad you like it. :D You're welcome. [:D]

Meredith_Kenobi:
    Anything can happen in dreams, I'm having WAY too much fun writing this. [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

I've been rather busy with school work lately, but I'm planning on updating either this week or next, depending if I get the time. Thanks to everyone for reading. :)

25. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004

I read the last part so I know this was just a case of an auto-removed word, but I don't care. I love this sentence. It hits the reader harder this way.
    But you might want to go back in and add a missing "blood" to the paragraph where Obi inspects the mast. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.